[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /biz/. One year ago I started making a video game. Now it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

Hi /biz/. One year ago I started making a video game. Now it's about 2-3 months away from being completed. It took a long time but I'm extremely proud of it and confident that it is good.

I built a promotional website with screenshots, videos, and a playable demo. I just need to buy the web hosting + domain.

Problem is, I'm getting really nervous. Marketing is the phase of development where I'm absolutely weakest. I have no online persona and the thought of promoting the game over social media makes me worried. Once the internet knows about the game then it feels like any wrong step could screw me over. What if I accidentally make an ass of myself on twitter and people hate me? What if someone discovers a glitch in my demo and it makes me look like an amateur? What if people think my website looks stupid? What if I get attacked by rabid SJWs for not having enough transexual characters in the game?

Has anybody else had to deal with something similar to this? I just feel extremely vulnerable allowing my creation to be seen and judged by the masses, and I suspect there may be a hidden plethora of newbie marketing mistakes which could potentially destroy my sales on release.
>>
Forgot to mention, I'm planning on selling it via Steam (an online pc game marketplace).
>>
Show it to us to give you feedback + beta test it

If it is your first game, it probably won't be that good. Just a fact. Still, take any criticism and use it to improve your skills and games

What kind of game? Can I play?
>>
>>1066899
>Once the internet knows about the game then it feels like any wrong step could screw me over. What if I accidentally make an ass of myself on twitter and people hate me? What if someone discovers a glitch in my demo and it makes me look like an amateur? What if people think my website looks stupid? What if I get attacked by rabid SJWs for not having enough transexual characters in the game?

If it gets to that point, then your marketing works. Just do whatever. The odds of success are so low that you might as well swing for the fences.
>>
>>1066900
Dude literally, the worst thing you can do now is pussy the fuck out and worry too much now.

If you love it, and you think its awesome, find out. Haters gonna hate, get that bitch moving.
>>
Honestly dude marketing is the most critical part of your execution when it comes to customer acquisition. Since you obviously have no confidence in yourself when it comes to marketing, just run some content past either this thread/some other form of focus group that you aren't friends with.

I'd suggest paying someone to do stuff like any promo videos/trailer/website etc but it doesn't sound like it's an option
>>
>>1066899
Dubs of good luck!

Anon, I can't tell you much about this but I just want to wish you good luck.
>>
Launch anxiety.

It never goes away. I've had a lot of failures so I can give you a little advice. You will have some people talking serious shit about what you have poured your life into. A lot of shit. It will be like an infinite waterfall of shit pouring over your hard work.
Just know there are at least a few people out there that appreciate the work you did.

Being shit isn't always a bad thing. Look at Gawker or Bad Rats.
>>
>>1066899
If your game is truly good, any shit you get from the promotion phase will be erased by the positive reviews and the word of "mouth" that will spread when people start playing.

Since you're confident in your product, you should push hard for maximum exposure.

If you're worried about your twitter persona, just ignore 90% of what you read, unless it's about bugs/improvements and stick to this one simple rule:

NEVER OVERPROMISE
(release date, patch date, additional content updates, DLC, etc.)
>>
>>1066899
Can 4chan see it? If we like, it'll probably go viral, and any money you spend on promotion will just be to amplify our chatter.
>>
>>1066899
Nobody cares what sjw think bud, they aren't going to buy your game anyway. If its good gamers will love it and buy, if its shit then no. Even if steam doesn't buy it or it doesn't sell, dont give up. Market it on social media anyway. A lot of major success stories took many attempts before someone gave them a shot eg jk rowling with harry potter story
>>
>>1066899

Sign up for Google AdWords now. By the time you grow some balls they will have most likely sent you vouchers for free marketing.
>>
>>1066899
That happens dude. Its the doubt taking over. Fuck it, - release on Steam and let it grow organically. Even if your game is utterly retarded, there will be a few people who'll like it. You'll brighten up someones life for a few hours.
>>
OP, you can show us what you got and we'll give you advice. It'll be like free consumer testing. It's not like we're saying tits or gtfo.

If you decide not to, good luck
>>
File: rainBattle0.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
rainBattle0.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
Thanks for all the advice guys. Sorry it has taken so long to reply. I got a couple days off work so now I'm going to buy the web hosting. I'll post everything in this thread so you can tear it apart. There will be a playable demo if you guys are interested.

Here's a webm for the time being. If you visit /vg/ you might have already seen it.
>>
>>1069347
Looks kinda rad actually. Would try/10
>>
>>1069347
Have everyone who can reach a bigger audience know about your game. Look up writers for videogame sites or something (not really into this market but I know there are certain blogs and other websites), get in contact with them and tell them you want them to interview you about it. They have something original to write about, you get free (not always) marketing. Just an example though, there are tons of people who you can reach out to. Market the shit out of it like it's the best game mankind has ever seen. Good luck buddy, it looks promising.
>>
>>1069347
honestly I think it looks fucking dope
>>
>>1069347
Meh, I dont really like these type of games, but it looks better than 90% I see on the Steam Marketplace.

Just dont viral on /v/
>>
>>1066899
I suggest that at the beginning you publicize it only among your friends. Then, once you feel more confident you start promoting it to the general public.

By releasing it to friends only you are guaranteed to receive honest feedback from people that care about you and your projects. You can use this feedback to improve your game before disclosing it to the general public.

I made an Android app a few years ago. When I released it on an online store I only made a post on kikebook telling my friends what I have done and asking them to download it. After this first release I got some input and also had a few ideas of my own for some improvement. With these I made a new version of the app, got more confident and publicized it for the specific audience. It was interesting, even if I didn't make any real money of it I can say that I learned a lot about publishing and publicizing my work.
>>
>>1069499
What's the analogy with ugly babies? I think he should go wider than friends and family, even if he risks negative feedback. You gotta build up that callous eventually, or you stay too scared to take chances forever.
>>
>>1069518
I didn't say he shouldn't try to go for a wider audience. I just suggested that as a first step he could try a more controlled set of users. Once the feedback is positive he can go for the whole world. A lot of companies release software like this, it is not like they are restricting their chance of success by doing so.
>>
OP post your twitter, I can help you.
>>
>>1069761
Fair enough. I just don't want him to limit a potential audience based on moms opinion of his game.

Even if it sucks, and the gamer market punches his dick in, the of "going through with it" outside of his comfort zone will be invaluable to his future projects. A bit of what works what doesn't.
>>
I took a look at your webm and I'm sorry OP, but I see nothing in there that distinguishes it from the myriad of other 2D indie pixel sidescrollers that have literally flooded the Steam marketplace the past several years. I'm sorry, but it looks like your game is destined to be overshadowed by 50 other games like it being released this month and will only sell a couple dozen units at most.
>>
>>1069347
it looks alright. i would suggest working on the camera mechanics to make it smoother. might be the style you're going for but it's really jumpy right now when it's locked onto the character like that.

check this out
http://gamasutra.com/blogs/ItayKeren/20150511/243083/Scroll_Back_The_Theory_and_Practice_of_Cameras_in_SideScrollers.php
>>
>>1066899
Remain really positive.

Don't try to defend yourself.

If someone's an ass, either ignore, or thank them for the honest feedback.
>>
>>1070201
This is a good point. Have a region in the middle of the screen that the character is allowed to move around in freely, without the camera chasing.

Only once a player moves out of this area should you move the camera, and only until they're back in the area.

2d mario games are a good example of this.
>>
File: birdHunterAmbush0.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
birdHunterAmbush0.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
Well, alright. I'm freaking out about how imperfect everything seems, but I'm just going to man up and post it anyway. Hopefully the website works properly; I had a lot of trouble setting it up. You guys can give me advice on presentation and play the demo if you want.

www.wayofthered.com

>>1070201
I'm starting to notice the problem with the camera. I guess after playing the game for so long I just got used to it. Tomorrow I'll try using the technique from the Metroid gif in your link. I have a feeling it's really going to improve the quality of the game. Thank you.

One more generic marketing question to ask you guys. What's the best way to deal with negativity or insults directed towards you or your product? Ignore it? Argue dramatically for more exposure?

Thanks again /biz/.
>>
>>1070297
>>1069347
hey, would you mind to tell me with what you created the game (what language etc.)? And do you have a develope team or a guy for graphics/ sound? Because I'm really impressed and thought you would post something a lot more shittier. I love the flight/fight mechanics, looks really dope. I would think about marketing and use the time to improve the game even more (like the camera) if you have the time. I am making games as a hobby to, how long have you been working on this project?
>>
>>1070297
If it is an insult ignore it, if he has a valid point say you will look into it and you are thankful for any input regarding improvements.

When the game is ready for takeoff tell us the name etc. and I will twitter the shit out of it.
>>
>>1070297
You should put the message about the Greenlit in the top of the webpage instead of leaving it hidden at the bottom
>>
>>1070297
Just do what every other developer does and release it as a "public alpha/beta" that you still have to pay for. When you get complaints address them if they're easy or ignore them if they're not. Unless the game is really taking off, you should start on other projects ASAP if you want to do development professionally. Quantity trumps quality in video games every time.

Furthermore, the thing about the video game community is that they are quite literally children and there will be complaints/hate about your product no matter how polished it is. There will also be people who will love your game no matter what. Don't believe either opinion until there is a sizeable consensus.

My personal opinion is that it looks pretty fun though. The pixel art is way better than the 1,000,000 gofundme shit other indie devs put out and the gameplay looks genuinely retro and fun.
>>
>>1070297
Honestly that looks pretty fucking great. Really like the gliding thing he does.
>>
>>1070297
Game looks amazing. Seems like a game I would spend hours on.
>>
>>1066916
Mostly this.

I have started 2 businesses. You have launch anxiety.

It will go away. Keep in mind that some people will shit on you even when your product/service is amazing.

I'm very good at what I do and from time to time I still have upset customers. Forget them. Forget them immediately. Successful people totally shut out negativity.

Don't pussy out. Push forward. Push fowars hard. It's the ONLY way.

Godspeed.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.