[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AMA Wall Street Analyst

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: aum party.png (235KB, 952x632px) Image search: [Google]
aum party.png
235KB, 952x632px
hi /biz

I lurk more on /g/, but I'm a buy-side analyst at a reasonably sized asset manager (40B AUM).

I've always wondered how many people here work on the street, but I never see any posts from people who actually work in the industry.

I work in NY with a focus on US Large-Cap Equities, specialty tech and macro. I'm junior though, so I do other coverage as requested by senior analysts/pms.

Ask me some questions, and I'll do my best to respond. Questions about recruiting, breaking into the buy-side, street sentiment, and all general questions are welcome.
>>
Are you gay?
>>
>>1066355
Everyone here is NEET or in school, senpai. Wrong website and especially wrong board.
>>
>>1066355

NYC college student here, how to go about getting started in a career in this field?

About to graduate with a major in economics and a minor in math from a CUNY school, no internships but I am apply to masters programs.
>>
How often do you get someone who has like 5-8 years of experience in a different industry coming into finance and actually getting a serious job?
>>
I used to work at a $2B AUM FoF and before that a < $100M HF, both in Chicago.

Not in the industry anymore because I couldn't tolerate the personalities, the egos, and the fraud (the firms I worked at were doing shady shit, both unethical and illegal, without batting an eye).

I'm not sure if you have experience working with people in Chicago, and I'm wondering how different NY is. So my questions to you: (1) have you personally met many narcissists and sociopaths on Wall Street and (2) how bad is the fraud you've seen?
>>
>>1066372

FoF is a tough business. Very nice when everything is up; sucks to be long/short when everything is down then a +50 bps management fee. I know guys who ran FoF and are just bleeding money nowadays.

I don't really have experience in working with Chicago. I don't trade either - we just put it on a blotter.

1) I have in sell-side recruiting, not as many in buy-side. There are jerks everywhere, but I'm happy to say the place I work with is full of nice people. If the market is down, some guys haven't a "don't fucking talk to me face", but no one is an outright dick.

I've certainly met my fair share of them though.

2) U.S. Equities AM is pretty hard to commit fraud in - there just isn't really a mechanism for it. I worked in sales/trading for a summer and there was rampant fraud everywhere, but it was a second-tier shop so it was kind of expected. Numbered accounts, manipulation of trace, dodging capital requirements, absurd spreads, the lot. In finding a needle in a haystack, great to be the guy hiding the needle.
>>
>>1066364

Best way is what everyone says - network, keep an open ear for opportunities, and grab relevant work experience.

>>1066367

MBA is typically a very good reset. You can enter an industry coverage group - ibanking is very conducive to this for some reason.
>>
>>1066408
>MBA is typically a very good reset.

That's cool. I work in the defense industry as an engineer, and I'm in the process of getting an MBA right now (from a top 50 university, but not an Ivy league). By the time I have it, I'll have had 8 years of experience on projects in the defense industry, but I'm very tempted by finance.

What do I look for when it comes to the job hunt?
>>
>>1066413

It's really what you want. Depending on your level of skill, it affects the choices available to you. If you're a killer networker and murdering the interview, you'll have a lot of choices. If you haven't networked that much yet, you might have to take what comes your way - it's a bear market and there's a lot of firing going on right now. Hiring for Associate/VP is less favorable - really VP, but you get the idea.

In terms of picking a place you want to work, find an area of finance that you really enjoy. I enjoy analyzing investments, so I went buy-side. If you like schmoozing and yelling, trying sales in sales/trading. Read some books, talk to some people, and find an area that really hums with you ; you'll know it when you see it. Don't get locked into a prestige trap or job skipping - try and find what you really want.
>>
We're starting a chatroom, stock market group..
Already have lots of members..
Care to be the great leader, and get decent ideas at the same time?
>>
>>1067213

I don't really thing being a leader would be fair - probably won't be in there enough to justify it and there are probably people on this board who know more than me. Happy to be a participant.
>>
>>1067742
We'd love to have you man..
Can you create an email address, post it here, and we'll invite you
>>
>>1068279

4chanbizchat @gmail.com

also last call for any questions, i'll stop monitoring the thread
>>
>>1068327
>[email protected]
Congrats anon, you've committed the first step towards securities fraud. I'm sure your compliance department will be thrilled to learn that you've solicited contact from anonymous market participants.

You seem like a nice fellow. Be sure to come back and tell us about your next job.
>>
>>1068327
Cheers bro, I used to work for Merrill edge, but got fired and now own a business. Nice to see an industry bro here.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.