[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best coding language to learn so that I can use those skills

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (335KB, 1438x809px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
335KB, 1438x809px
Best coding language to learn so that I can use those skills for some side money and maybe potentially turn that to full time?
>>
>>1065611
I have seen Python and C# in demand in the finance field
>>
>>1065619
I'd say C++ or java. After those it's easier to learn other languages.
>>
Fortran and C are favored by all the hipster web startups raking in loads of money
>>
If you want to get started working immediately, go for Python. The more long term option is C and its derivatives.
>>
>>1065619
>>1065620
>>1065625
As I starter, I started HTML and CSS and a bit of Java in CodeAcademy.. Should I pursue those?
>>
>>1065627
I would like some side money right away, yes
>>
>>1065620
>I'd say C++ or java

You don't know what you're talking about.

C# is a better Java.

>>1065627
Python is literally just "import some library without doing any work yourself, if it breaks or is incompatible? too bad can't fix it"
>>
>>1065611
Learn Java. It works on every platform and teaches most aspects of modern programming.

Learn other languages as needed to work along with your Java programs.

Take a hands on approach. Think of a project and do not stop until you have created it.

For example, you might want to develop a simple paper trading application for Android. Java can do this for you, and there's many resources out there to do something like this.
>>
>>1065636
That seems like good advice, I guess I will continue it on Codeacademy
>>
>>1065628

Fortran is close to HTML. Go for it.
>>
Html5 and do freelance web design. Create heatmaps for small companies that show how their users act, and then fix their problems.
>>
>>1065632
>Python is literally just "import some library without doing any work yourself, if it breaks or is incompatible? too bad can't fix it"

Python is really good for data analysis. I'm a computational biologist and you pretty much need to know python

>languages I use:
>Perl
>Python
>R
>bash

>Some knowledge of
>C
>Java

Each language has it's advantages and disadvantages. I think Java is a good start for general programming but like I said if you want to do data analysis there's better languages than Java
>>
>>1065625
>Fortran and C

this is bait

Fortran is good for maths
>>
>>1065636
>>1065653
Why the FUCK would you learn Java over C#?

C# is Java but just far better in every way. It's what Java should have been.

>>1065653
Python is ok but some major parts of it are really retarded and shitty. Easy to get a lot of work done quickly though, mainly because even non-programmers can code in it/understand it.
>>
>>1065657
>Why the FUCK would you learn Java over C#?
Because more people know Java. It honestly doesn't matter, but sometimes it's good to stick with something that has been around longer and more people know for support.

Let OP learn C# I don't care.

> even non-programmers can code in it/understand it

That's because python is meant to be readable.
But yeah for me python is great but for web development maybe not the best.
>>
>>1065628
By java I mean java and not javascript. HTML and CSS is good but nothing like real coding languages. Combined with javascript and nodejs, they could make you an really wanted employee though.
>>
>>1065632
I'm an software engineer. I've worked in heavy industry and banking industry. Java and python are my most used languages. I enjoy C# a lot more though.
>>
>>1065660
>Because more people know Java. It honestly doesn't matter, but sometimes it's good to stick with something that has been around longer and more people know for support.

C# has been around for quite a while and microsoft has been putting in lots of work into it recently. Making .NET opensource, fixing bugs on Mono, etc.

If you know Java you know C# anyway. Syntax is nearly identical.

>>1065660
>That's because python is meant to be readable.

It has too high of a level of abstraction.

That's why so many scientists use it, easy to make shit without being some nerd who studied C/C++ for a decade.
>>
>>1065657
>Why the FUCK would you learn Java over C#?
Java is used way more in business environments. C# is only used by "scripters" on .net based applications.

C# is a lot better language, that is true.
>>
>>1065669
>That's why so many scientists use it, easy to make shit without being some nerd who studied C/C++ for a decade.

which is not a bad thing. I should be spending more time answering biological questions than learning about CS
>>
>>1065611
Where would you even begin to look for a programming job for side money
>>
>>1065670
>Java is used way more in business environments. C# is only used by "scripters" on .net based applications.

Not really. You can do nearly everything in C# that a native language can do, much quicker and more efficiently too. 1 line of code in C# is equivalent to several loops and a dozen lines of code in C++ for example.

The best part is that there are VERY STRONG signs that .NET is the future of programming and will easily overtake all the other memes. It's rapidly improving and Microsoft is showing huge interest in supporting developers and keeping it alive and improving.

It would honestly be a very wise idea to learn C# and the .net framework right now.
>>
Now I am more confused than even..
>>
Fun fact: if you have to ask "wut lang gud?" you aren't going to make any money in the field.

Now shoo; filthy wannabe code monkey.
>>
>>1065707
This desu.

Doing something "just for the money" is a bad way to approach it. You won't really be motivated to learn and put hard work in.
>>
>>1065685
If you're doing freelance then your best bet is cold calling and networking. Other than that you are competing against dozens or hundreds of people for very low paying online gigs.
>>
>>1065775
>he thinks anyone will hire some guy for a job from coldcalling
>>
>>1065611
Answering from a /biz/ perspective instead of a CS one:
You might have success with becoming a VBA programmer. As much as I hate to admit it, if your main profession is not software engineering but instead anything where you work a lot with MS office products day in day out, mastering VBA can vastly increase your productivity.
Another thing, if you want to stay on windows: Powershell.
Lastly: Python. An actual general purpose programming language which is compatible with pretty much every OS and software, packages are available to do pretty much everything: Automating office products, High performance computing, LaTeX scripting, GUI, automating Linux...

If you are a non engineer on Linux: Bash takes the role of VBA.

For "real" programming languages: You can learn Java, but only as second or 3rd language, ortherwise you will learn a ton of bad habits which are difficult to get rid of.
C++ particularly with the C++11/14 standard is a joy to work with, even more if you use the Qt toolkit (which can do so much more than mere GUI) then you can code an application once and compile it to run on Linux, Windows, Mac, iOS, Blackberry, Android, QNX, WxWorks...
Yes C++ has some really awkward parts, but it will be years before you know enough to encounter them in production.

Then there is of course HTML/CSS/JavaScript and whatever server side language is fashionable this month (PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby...) for websites, but apparently everyone does that so competition might be fierce unless you specialize somehwere.

Exotic languages:
Common Lisp. Haskell, Ada, LabVIEW, Matlab, Erlang,... all are really awesome and fun (well except Matlab and LabVIEW) but it will be hard to find jobs with only those languages, on the other hand those jobs tend to really pay well.
>>
>>1065779
>C++ particularly with the C++11/14 standard is a joy to work with

You have to be trolling.

C++ is a fucking disaster. Takes a decade to learn and even then you'll make retarded mistakes and get frustrated.

it's also ever-evolving, the C++ standard is over 1000 pages long at this point.
>>
>>1065777
>some NEET coldcalling to land a programming job

Sweet Jesus I would pay hard earned dollars to see this.
>>
File: image.png (5KB, 488x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
5KB, 488x300px
LOGO
>>
>>1065799
yeah but you only ever need 1/10th of that.
This is what non-C++ programmer dont understand: C++ gives you the choice to use any of those features however you please, but it does not force you.

Even when working on a big software project you are unlikely to use more than 1/3 of all possible technologies that C++ offers you.
>>
>>1065801
I can only imagine.

>"H-hello sir... I have heard great things about your um, company. I would like to offer you a fantastic opportunity: I have just completed the Python section of Codecadamy and would be interested in offering you my expertise - I have extensive knowledge copy-pasting code, concatenating strings and using library functions(not written by me). What time next week could I come in to discuss the project and its salary?"
>>
>codecademy
lol pleb
>>
>>1065777
You can "cold email" too.
>>
>>1065855
I want to see what kind of people hire people based off cold-calls and "cold-emails".
>>
File: counting-the-savings.jpg (34KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
counting-the-savings.jpg
34KB, 640x427px
(((PhD) (in) (Lisp))
((Any) (job) (I) (want))
(($300k) (starting)))
>>
Learn java and code ethereum apps
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.