[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I take the new job or stay where I'm at?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

tl;dr
I get a better job offer. Current boss wants to keep me and offers huge raise.

So here's a little background: I'm 22 and I've been at my current job for over 5 years. (I work as a DME tech at a locally owned pharmacy) in those 5 years I went from part time to full time, the store went under new ownership, and my pay went from $8/hr to $10/hr.
Obviously, I've been looking for a new job since it's hard to live on these wages. Well, I got a job offer at a medical supply company doing what I do now for $14/hr. They're a bit bigger and have 3 locations, where my store only has the one. I accepted the offer and put my 2 week notice in on Saturday.
Well, today, my boss comes to me and says he'd hate to see me go and I'm an asset to business and customers love me. I told him why I was leaving and he immediate offered me $14.75 to stay.
I'm very conflicted as to what I should do. I've always enjoyed my job and everyone I work with are really good people. But if I turn down the job I already accepted, I would burn that bridge with the new company. I made a list of the pros and cons of staying and leaving. I would like some opinions/advice.

New job pros:
>$14/hr
>24/7 on-call every 5th week
>Don't have to work Saturday
>Little overtime opportunity for on-call weeks

New job cons:
>35 min drive each way every day
>Have to train for new job
>They're always really busy
>On call weekends are gonna be very busy
>Have to pay some out of pocket for insurance

Old job pros:
>$14.75/hr new wage if I stay
>Insurance paid for
>5 min drive
>Secure job
>I have quite a bit of down time
>Hardly get called out when on-call
>Already know everything about the job

Old job cons:
>On-call every other week
>Have to work most Saturdays
>Have to put up with some day to day BS

If I stay, I doubt he would try to find someone cheaper to replace me. I know everything there is to know about my department and it would be extremely hard for him to find a good replacement.
>>
Go new, the looking for job pay rise offer doesn't get handed out twice in one company
>>
Leave. The second a company knows you're willing to leave on your own, you're on the chopping block for the next cost reduction measures.
>>
>>1062217
Agreed. Also if you were worth that much to him, why wasn't he paying you more already.

Also consider future advancement opportunities.
>>
>>1062195
>>1062217
Very good points. I'm also taking into account that I'll have to drive an extra hour every day if I take the new job. I could practically walk to my current job from my house.

>>1062227
Yeah true. There's not really anywhere to move up to at my current job unless my supervisor dies.
>>
File: 1349890237555.gif (1012KB, 308x225px) Image search: [Google]
1349890237555.gif
1012KB, 308x225px
>>1062186

I'll jump in on this thread to ask a related question.

Does it really work if you tell a company you have another offer and they get you a raise?

I mean in a real, salaried position. Assume that you are valuable, you've been given promotions before and your current boss wants to keep you around. If I'm getting 50k and a new job offers me 65k, could I approach my manager about that? Would they require some kind of proof or what? Seems like people could just make shit up and hope for a raise.
>>
>>1062260
OP here. On a new computer hence the different ID.

I would think it depends on how valuable you are to your boss. I've thought about faking it in the past, but the fear of him not giving it to me and me being shit out of luck kept me from doing it. He could be like "ok fuck off then" and you would be jobless.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.