[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

who /estimating/ here? I just landed a job as a commercial roofing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: budget_1-construction_chart.jpg (54KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
budget_1-construction_chart.jpg
54KB, 600x400px
who /estimating/ here? I just landed a job as a commercial roofing estimator, so far I've thrown 2 million dollars worth of bid proposals and I' hoping to reel in a contract soon.

How is the construction market looking this year? I'm kinda scared tbqh from the falling stock market.

Any advice for a rookie? Any ideas on how to save me some precious sheckels to add into my profit margin?
>>
>>1059815

So do you only work on commercial projects and no residential properties?

If so, you may want to expand into that market. I work in banking in Florida and there's still a lot of construction in central to south Florida but it seems to be slowing. A lot of foreigners are still throwing money around buying properties.

Also, what exactly do you do? Do you just provide cost estimations or do you actually provide roof work as well?
>>
>>1059820
I mainly do commercial, although I do some residential, residential its too boring, I get excited over bigger numbers and margins.

What I do is I calculate materials and labor, and once we have a contract we are responsible for the installation of the roof. Although I do provide estimations to general contractors.
>>
>>1059836

I work in banking and have met a fair amount of construction company owners. It seems cliche at this point, but networking is important. There should be associations for construction firms in your town where you can meet other owners. It won't help your margins but would help your volume, but building a relationship with some of the firms and offering a bit of discount could help.

Also, architecture firms in town are good to know as well. They'll often recommend a builder. Just write down the process for your job (like client>architect>general contractor>sub-contractors>your company) and try to find ins at every step.
>>
>>1059815
You're just the estimator and you're not connected to the construction part at all
The only garunteed way to make shekels is to do it cheaper
>>
>>1059843
Thanks, Ill work on my networking ASAP.
>>1059875
I try to pham, but the way it works is all bids are sealed and opened by the contractor in the same day, the lowest responsible bid gets the contract, unless I'm working directly with the owner of the building, but they want everything really fucking cheap that I had to be super creative to make it work.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.