[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /biz/, I'm interested in starting my career as a truck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: FL17603_m.jpg (315KB, 1500x1197px) Image search: [Google]
FL17603_m.jpg
315KB, 1500x1197px
Hey /biz/, I'm interested in starting my career as a truck driver.

Anyone know how hard is it to get there?

How's the pay?

Do you like the job?
>>
>>1059660
Was considering that too
Pros, work on your own usually
Cons, infractions go on your personal license, hard to just stop and take a piss, I like to drink a lot. A lot of money to get the license unless you have a rig you can borrow. Like most jobs employer wants experience relegating you to shit jobs/runs at first. There are probably more but that was enough to turn me off of the idea for now.
>>
CR England will hire anyone who is infraction free for 3 years and can take a drug test (and they KEEP drug testing you constantly at random)

My brother went to their driving school. One of the best in the country actually. But there are downsides. School is very fast paced. If you fall behind anywhere, they will tell you not to come back tomorrow. His class started on Sunday afternoon with 125 people. By Thursday of the second week (day before you take your CDL A test) there was only 30 people left. 25 of them passed their test the next day.

CR England will pay you very poorly (between 60 and 90 cents a mile) but their benifits are really nice. They will lie to you. If they say you are home 2 days every 2 weeks, expect that to be more like 20 hours once a month... that however also means you are racking up miles (and money)

No one stays with them for more than 2-4 years, but at the same time, no other company outside maybe Swift (shitty driving school, shitty pay, and ancient beaten to hell trucks) will hire a driver without 4000 hours of driving on their logs.
>>
>>1059760

I forgot to mention, do not go to trucking school on your own. CR England and Swift run their own schools for drivers they are going to employ. Your chances of going to private school and getting a job are less than zero. No company hires drivers without 2 years experience because the insurance for you ends up costing them money every mile you drive. Its why people like CR and Swift pay so poorly. They wont turn a profit on you until month 24+

Do not pay a penny for anything unless there is a written job offer waiting at the end of it. CR and Swift are not only both free but they both pay for your hotel and bus ticket to get to the school. If you graduate your bus ticket back home is free as well
>>
How's the pay?

Is it better than most blue collar jobs?
>>
>>1059767
that's funny, because in the trucking threads on /o/ it is always strongly recommended to pay for school yourself. CR England is also considered one of the worst companies to work for in that thread.
>>
It's going to be automated soon. Don't go into it.
>>
>>1059942

They are a horrible company to work for, but they are one of your few options. Their driving school is totally free and one of the best in the country. The trucks are newer and well maintained. The benefits are decent and all you really have to do is show up and drive.

That said you can basically forget about coming home, like ever, and your pay is a shade below average for a 1-3 year old driver. Which makes up for CR on the fact they put you through school, gave you hotel and food for 2 weeks, and even paid for 2 bus tickets for you.

Much like /biz/ and its crypto currency meme I can only assume /o/ is all about their "personal freedom" to choose the cheapest driving school 5 minutes away from home and honestly believe CR will get them home every 2 weeks (no one will btw, unless you have so much downtime you are deadheading home on your own time and dime) Either that or they hear the Mainez commercials on the radio and think everyone is paying 1.89 a mile to drive brand new automated Freightliners
>>
>>1059958
>>>/o/14298768
>>Good rookie companies?
>http://pastebin.com/Sv0cyWyH
>>
>>1059972

How does that even get made? "Swif/CR England are bad"... thats an exact quote.

Then lists YRC as a good company that regularly hires new drivers. FFS YRC is one of the highest paid union companies in the US. Unless you are someone in the unions nefew, you arent getting a job their period, let alone as a new driver

Also love the logic on "lets pay 4-6k for driving school and then play the college graduate game of applying to 8,000 companies and getting zero calls back, after getting your license"

OTR guys have high turn over. Mostly from people getting home sick. OTR is not a family man kind of job. So some companies do hire new drivers, usually the large companies. However the good companies to work for almost never do because guys with years on the road have been trying to get in with them since they were new too

Ill personally take a free license and a guaranteed job over 6k in debt and the chance someone, somewhere, will hire me, maybe, any day.
>>
For starters you need a crippling meth addiction. After that it should be easy
>>
21 yo here with cdl class a currently making $21/hr 40-60 hours a week im not a trucker i drive and operate a telebelt. As far as getting your cdl it is easy everything is online and backing a trailer is cake
>>
>>1059660
I got my cdl in July, and worked for a flatbed company for two months. The work sucks, 10 hour days are a minimum, and really you never stop working, because you sleep in your truck and are always planning ahead.

New drivers can clear 50 to 65k a year. Personally, that's not worth me giving my life up, but maybe to you it is. I can just work two jobs, sleep in my bed every night, and still have more free time.
>>
>>1059660
I love driving. I imagine doing it for a living like a slave would ruin it
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.