[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living a Lie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

File: 1440632818839.png (129KB, 724x611px) Image search: [Google]
1440632818839.png
129KB, 724x611px
>be me
>graduate with a degree in Economics
>whenever I tell anybody they're instantly impressed for some reason, and say how smart i must be and how difficult econ must have been
>Hardest class i've ever had to take was Calc 1.
>Hardest thing i've ever had to do in any econ class was use simple ass calc 1 derivatives
>none of my classes were particularly difficult. had to to significantly more work in my political science minor, was graded harsher on it as well
>graduated with a 50k starting salary doing e-z p-z work. >Literally anybody could do this shit with a couple months training instead of a 4 year bachelors degree.

Keep in mind i also:
>went to a top 50 school in the US in economics
so it's not like i even went to some random shitty state school.

Does anybody else feel like they are living a lie? A lot of people seems to be impressed but it really wasn't that hard at all to accomplish. Whenever family/friends/strangers start complementing my degree i just feel awkward and like i should interject and say that it wasn't really that hard.
>>
>>1057293
It's harder than you realize anon.

You're probably just comparing yourself to top few % of people. Keep in mind, graduating University at a top 50 school is ALREADY top like 10-20% of the population.

It's like anything.

Chess for example, 1000 rating is fucking garbage, kill yourself idiot-tier. But when you're playing against regular people it's like you're a God who can go 80-0 and cannot lose.

Same with lifting weights, deadlifting 300-400 lbs is quite easy and can be easily attained in a 1-2 years of training, it is also next to nothing in most weight classes except skeleton-tier in Powerlifting. But for regular people it's like you're superman.

$20k savings for example is nothing at all in the big scheme of things, but then you realize like 60% of the population lives paycheck to paycheck and that you're in the top 20%.

tl;dr you're just underestimatign yourself to regular people.
>>
>>1057293
I am in the middle of my econ degree and so far derivatives is the hardest thing I've done and everything else is very easy much easier than I thought and knowing this I take Economist predictions and advice in the media with a grain of salt.

Also anon I haven't really been looking at Jobs what kind of Jobs to people with just a bachelor in Econ do and get and whats the best way to just get what you have, a decent pay and easy.
>>
>>1057311
>Also anon I haven't really been looking at Jobs what kind of Jobs to people with just a bachelor in Econ do and get and whats the best way to just get what you have, a decent pay and easy.

You can apply to Finance jobs that Finance grads do. It's really not much different. Very similar jobs.
>>
>>1057293
That's because probably took the barebones Econ course that imo shouldn't even be an option anymore

Any Econ degree nowadays worth its salt needs you to take econometrics, which means you needed to have studied linear algebra, regression analysis, triple integrals, matrix algebra, and basic optimization, among other shit I might've forgotten
>>
>>1057293
>top 50 school in the US in economics
>50 states in the US
>not a random shitty school
>>
>>1057293
>Did a Bachelor of Education
>Coursework was shit-tier easy
>Student teaching was unsupervised
>Graduated and hired to $55k teaching position
>Talked my way into university instructor position within 2 years
>$130k in 2015
>They paid for my shit tier coursework Master of Education
>They paid for my PhD in Education but I dropped out after 2 years

I meet people and they say "woa, no way, you have a MASTERS degree? You must be SMART"

I cringe at myself as I play it down with, "Nah, I'm a PhD drop-out"

They go over-drive "WOA no way you must have been REALLY smart to get into that program"

A piece of me dies inside every time I stoop that low in a conversation. I wrote essays that were impossible to fail and it got me a 'masters' degree. I have honestly no sense of achievement but I go along with everyone's view of post-grad being a big deal.
>>
I minored in Econ at a top school in Canada known for their economics. Do employers care about a minor or do you need to have a full hons degree for it to really mean anything?
>>
>>1057499
What school famalam
>>
>>1057502
Queen's 15'
>>
>>1057505
'15*
>>
>>1057395
>>Talked my way into university instructor position within 2 years
>>$130k in 2015
at least make it believable. that's the salary that phd holding associate professors get. even less than that depending on the school/location.
>>
>>1057511
>at least make it believable
>$101k + 6% as I opted for 9% superannuation contribution instead of the 17% plus I received $32k redundancy since I was a PhD dropout and, as you rightly point out, I had a position that was meant for PhD holding professors

It's believable, bro
>>
>>1057336
>Holy shit triple integrals!
You guys must be geniuses.
>>
>>1057336
>triple integrals

Lmao. I'm a physicist who got an MBA on the side, all the math involved was a joke. Including Econ.
>>
>>1057311
Go to career fairs at your school. Every one I know who graduated with a degree in Econ got a job offer before or got a job after graduation at around 40-80k. But i live in the NYC metro area so theres that.

My friend in government literally doesn't do shit but makes a comfy 45k. My other friend is working with a large bank in NYC making 70k and hates his life. So there that.
>>
This is why the sciences hates you guys.
Pls just do us a solid for once and fund our labs. We just want to learn and give you guys the fruits of our labor
>>
>>1057540
This x1000
>>
>>1057293
Honest question,
Is an Economics degree not only used to work for someone else, or does it provide opportunity to start up your own business, or a different type of alternative income?

or, in /biz/ terms:

Is an Economics degree not a one way ticket to wagecuck town?
>>
>>1057293
I'm a software engineer (Build Release Eng) making 80k and I literally cannot write in any programming language. At best I could write some small scripts with bash or python given plentiful hours and a whole lot of googling.

Niche jobs are all the rage.
>>
>>1057685
If you're asking this question you're already out of the game.
>>
>>1057767
>>graduated with a 50k starting salary doing e-z p-z work. >Literally anybody could do this shit with a couple months training instead of a 4 year bachelors degree.

how did u do this?
>>
>>1057792
You're quoting OP but linking to me, I'll assume you're asking me though:

I got a degree in CS, specialization in programming, but it never stuck. I fought hard to pull off Cs, Bs, and a couple 400 level Ds to graduate. Afterwards I worked in IT for a couple years, then applied to jobs that were a hybrid of the two. I landed one for 70k, learned the job-specific roles, and did well enough after 18 months to get a 15% raise in a promotion.
>>
>>1057767
>>1057792
>>1057812
tl;dr I have an artist mindset but fought hard to get a technical career because I didn't want to be homeless.
>>
>>1057336
>matrix algebra
>>
>>1057767
I took one PHP course on code academy, and talked my way into a software engineering internship at a multinational corporation as a comp engineering freshman in college. I think I fixed like 5 bugs over the course of the summer.

Now my resume is literal gold and I get call backs from every place I apply, and I still don't really know how to program well.
>>
>>1058032
Yeah?

I literally read half of a book on C and now I'm working for Microsoft as lead developer making well over $250k/yr with 6 weeks of vacation time per year.
>>
>>1057779
I don't have an economics degree, what are you saying?
>>
File: 1435304572183.png (20KB, 591x551px) Image search: [Google]
1435304572183.png
20KB, 591x551px
>>1057293
>mfw I am in the second year of physics

It feels like I am walking into hell every few pages. I literally have to work on 3 different books, with different types of math in order to survive in the next couple of weeks.

oh well.
>>
>>1058037
Yeah?

I just watch a bunch of videos talking about the ups and downs of some programming languages and some threads in /g/.
I work at Yahoo and all I do is manage a team of programmers. If they want me to help them I just make my self look high and mighty and refer them to a colleague or tell them to fuck off.
>>
>>1058040
You're asking if an economics degree can provide you with an opportunity to start up your own business while ignoring the fact that a business is just a plan to make money. There are no requirements for starting a business, other than having a business plan and the means to carry out that plan. The only two things that can be said to consistently help provide you with business opportunities is having a good understanding of how the world and the people in it work, and wealth. To that end studying economics is helpful but a degree in economics is not required unless you feel socially pressured to have a certificate to use to impress people. Accounting is probably a better skillset to have if you're interested in one day starting your own business.
>>
>>1057293

Top 50? Top kek.

Why even go?
>>
>>1057540
Tfw econ and have massive respect for scientists

Space travel when?
>>
>>1057305
This basically.

I know the feel OP but take off the blinders and realize you're actually doing bretty good. Start looking down on those lesser thans like God intended
>>
>Econ degree
>Basic calculus is the hardest thing.

Are Econ degrees in the US and europe different things?
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 396x385px
>>1057293
M8 I can do you one better. My situation is almost exactly the same. Econ degree, $50k starting doing ezpz work, etc.

I didn't even go to a top 50 state school, just some random shitty state school. I graduated valedictorian in high school so the state waived my tuition. The only reason I was valedictorian was because my high school class was like 60 kids and it was a small town. I didn't even have a 4.0 GPA.

People treat me as you described as well. I don't bother trying to break it down though as to why I'm probably just lucky. I've just learned to accept the praise.
>>
>>1058140
Also, my Econ degree was a little more difficult than just basic calculus. The thing about econ in the US is that there's no set standard as to what it consists of. Some schools require just basic calculus, some require no math at all. My school actually required some metrics and modeling classes as well as all the calculus courses for a BS, but for the people getting BA's and BBA's they didn't need near as much.
>>
File: mfw.webm (511KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.webm
511KB, 720x404px
>tfw graduated STEM years back
>study economics for leisure these days because I find economics and finance interesting
>probably would have been pretty good at it if I'd done a real degree
>>
File: Capture.png (12KB, 480x170px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
12KB, 480x170px
>>1057338
>>
File: 1453264523502.jpg (2MB, 900x9794px) Image search: [Google]
1453264523502.jpg
2MB, 900x9794px
>>1058113
Thanks bro, econ is pretty cool. I had a econ friend who took it super seriously and it was fun to discuss with him.

Someday we'll travel the cosmos. There's a lot more work that needs to be done first but we're taking steps forward each year
>>
>>1058192
Time to go do some dishes.
>>
>>1057336
Wtf are you talking about? did you just finish your first Calc course and learn a bunch of words? Econometrics in undergrad is multilinear regressions and only use a program like Stata or R.
Triple integrals???
>>
95% of jobs are fucking piss easy if you have half a brain.
The only reason they're hard to get is because it;s an employer's market and HR is trying to justify its own existence by excessive vetting. I've seen job ads saying you must have experience with this technique or working in this type of environment, and I could teach a guy off the street everything they need to know about that stuff in a week.
But people don't realise this so are impressed when you work in certain areas.
>>
>>1058502
In the 2nd year of my European econometrics bachelor we have passed multivariable calculus, differential equations, time series and whatsoever. Also triple integrals yes.
>>
>be 10/10 alpha male
>skate through your Communications Degree
>get cozy sales gig
>set for life
>>
>>1057517
it's not believable because they would not pay you the same rate if you don't hold a phd. i know a lecturer that has not yet gotten his phd and he's paid significantly less than phd holding lecturers in the same department.

of course it's possible that you're australia so you're getting paid in monopoly money and it's a moot point.
>>
>>1057293
Dude... I work as app. support/software dev. team at a corp. here in U.S.

I was really good at excel and impressed my boss.

My first day in I.T.: "H-hi guys."
>>
>>1057293
>Literally anybody could do this shit with a couple months training instead of a 4 year bachelors degree.

This is true of many jobs except for some masters/doctorate tier stuff.

But a degree requirement helps filter out the degenerates and plebs.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.