[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When it comes to engineering degrees. how much does it matter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: follow your tacos.jpg (60KB, 872x960px) Image search: [Google]
follow your tacos.jpg
60KB, 872x960px
When it comes to engineering degrees. how much does it matter from where you obtain the degree?

My mother and I got into an argument about this the other night--she's set on sending me to Yale or Harvard, even though we can't afford it, because she thinks I won't get a job otherwise. I'm currently studying EET at a local community college which also offers a BA in EE, but I'm not sure if I want to pursue that yet.
>>
The unfortunate truth is that Ivy League does have a lot of cachet, and the connections you make there do pay off. However you have to get in first... how does your mom know you'll get in?

Just do your two years at CC and transfer to the best in-state school you can.
>>
>>1056571
not really. sometimes even the ivy schools are a bunch of idiots. look at yale right now for example. you're better off going to a decent school that you can pay for (better if you can get others to pay YOU to go). the other is to make sure you get a high gpa, because some people care about that for your first job and it's easier to get back into grad school later in life

the 2+2 method you're doing is a perfectly sound way to get a EE degree
>>
>>1056571
>Yale or Harvard
not even that great for the sciences tbhq, depending on where you live youll be better off going to a flagship state uni
>>
>>1056571
Yale and Harvard are not the best for engineering. Try for MIT, Caltech, UIUC or Georgia Tech.

Honestly though, it probably won't matter if you get into anywhere on the top 50.
>>
>>1056571
>>1057088
This. Especially with ABET making sure everyone's teaching the basics, the only real difference is getting seen by recruiters and having the opportunity to do internships or projects.

I went to my hometown state school (ranked around 100) and got an $80k job in my dream field within 6 months. Your school ranking is much more important in pure math/science, business, etc than in engineering.
>>
It depends where you want to work and what you want to do there.

You can get a job at any Fortune 500 company that does engineering without going to an Ivy League school, or even one of the big names mentioned here >>1057088 .

Will it be some kind of Chief Technology Officer position straight out of college? No. But you'll get a job.
>>
File: 1451266222158.jpg (114KB, 606x584px) Image search: [Google]
1451266222158.jpg
114KB, 606x584px
Strictly in terms of money? Not one bit
>>
>>1056571
Fuck debt. You'll pay it off easily. Go to the most prestigious school you can so that you can befriend the kid who's dad is a Fortune 50 CEO and will get you a guaranteed job paying $100k immediately after graduation.
>>
>>1056571
>even though we can't afford it
Are you sure about this? You have to be upper-upper middle class to not basically get a free ride.
>>
>>1057555
Wouldn't this be somewhat misleading because generally more selective schools cost more, which means you'll make more money but just have the same percentage of return.

Like spending $5 and making $10 is a 100% return, but I wouldn't compare it to spending $500 and making a $1000 return.
>>
>>1057116
same as this guy
ABET and a strong corporate presence at the school are key
it's the information age, you're not really going to learn secret knowledge you wouldn't elsewhere in your undergraduate education
>>
>>1057632
you could just as easily make the generalization that more selective schools provide much higher financial aid, both merit and need based
>>
>>1057658
But that's highly individualized, and if you take average statistics, then results would be skewed for schools that have a higher amount of poor people, or a higher amount of rich people. It's safe to assume they didn't incorporate that into their measurement.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.