[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here working for an HFT firm? If yes, what's your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: playfair_library.jpg (280KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
playfair_library.jpg
280KB, 1280x854px
Anyone here working for an HFT firm? If yes, what's your educational background? How much do you get paid? What's your day like?

pic unrelated
>>
math major here

300k and counting

any job I want
>>
>>1056414
engineering -- made about 250k this year

so far every day has been different so it's difficult to say what my day is like. in general i'll monitor performance of what is currently trading and if something isn't working as well as we expected (in the short or long term) then i identify why and fix it
>>
>>1057828
>>1057836
equities? futures? whats the basic game you're playing? how many firms compete with you in that game?
>>
>>1057836
what engineering major/degree
also, what engineering is best to get in to HFT?
>>
>>1057949

that's actually a biz meme
>>
>>1058004
apparently
>>
>>1057949
most shops will trade equities and futures (fx spot is not as popular now, but i see it getting big in the next few years)

>game
we are primarily market makers

i'd say we have 2-3 major competitors (also HFT shops) in our primary space. anyone who thinks banks are in HFT is uninformed
>>
>>1058236
so you just make a program to dance around trading one lots avoiding orders until you think an order is exhausted or the pricing gets fucked up? do correlations and all that play into everything?
>>
>>1058333
its a lot more than that -- as a market maker we'll always have 2 quotes in the market and normally larger than 1 lot (depends on a number of factors though). i've found that the brokers are more guilty of 'pinging' because they aren't risking their own money.

taking advantage of messed up pricing isn't really market making, though you may profit a lot from a messed up pricing swing if you are lucky. we trade strategies that take advantage of this (as do other firms), but our bread and butter is in mm. correlations matter for some names but its a small part of the puzzle

predicting large orders in the market is what michael lewis wants you to think happens. in reality its difficult, if not impossible to predict how much a single trader (whale) is going to to be buying or selling. you can't discern the signal through the noise. most people play on volume (total, by exchange, etc.) but aren't actively trying to find how much a single large order or orders is going to impact the market (unless of course you are the execution shop splitting it up and trading it)

if you want more insight i've found these posts to be pretty accurate: https://www.chrisstucchio.com/tag/high-frequency-trading.html
>>
>>1058004
>300k starting is a /biz/ meme
it was around waaaay before /biz/
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.