[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't everyone here just become a doctor or dentist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: dentistoffice.jpg (4MB, 2716x1810px) Image search: [Google]
dentistoffice.jpg
4MB, 2716x1810px
Why doesn't everyone here just become a doctor or dentist?

Guaranteed $200k+ salary and easy to start your own business after a while. I don't even think dentists have to go through much schooling, either.

Why go through all of this trouble of working 100+ hours a week at an investment banking unpaid internship just so you could land a $100k job with a low chance of you ever becoming the boss?
>>
>>1055876
MD's are just wageslaves for higher wages.

Also I don't like touching other people.
>>
>>1055876
It's not that easy, for medicine there's always A LOT of people that want to get in, making it more difficult. Also that's not for everyone, i almost vomit when i see a stranger's blood, much less touching them or something
>>
Because it takes 8 years+ of your life, and hundreds of thousands to get started.

It also is very difficult to get into med(and dentistry) school.
>>
File: Meguruguru.gif (587KB, 276x590px) Image search: [Google]
Meguruguru.gif
587KB, 276x590px
>>1055876
Nice suicide rate, senpai
>>
>>1055876

are you serious? you need lots of experience or you'll get sued for medical malpractice

stupid retarded cunt
>>
>>1055876
>why doesn't everyone just become the king of wageslaves?
Probably because most eventually realise the terrible mistake they've made and want to kill themselves.
Good jobs don't pay $200k+
>>
File: 1443234635374.gif (993KB, 400x323px) Image search: [Google]
1443234635374.gif
993KB, 400x323px
You would genuinely make more money leaving school to become a bricklayer and investing all of your money in biotech ETFs.

If you started at 16, contributed $250 a month to the ETF, then in 10 years assuming 30% which is not totally unreasonable considering how fast growing that industry is and will be, you will be $150,000 ahead in the fund alone, while your medic or dentist will be that much in debt and starting out on $30-50k, plus they will be working much longer hours than you, and the job is messy and fucking stressful, while you are just laying a bunch of bricks while listening to your tunes.

Then you transfer your investment over to something else like the Nasdaq-100, and whatever the medics and dentists do, they will never be able to catch up with your investments and you will be retired long before they will be.
>>
File: 1212252099171.jpg (39KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1212252099171.jpg
39KB, 604x453px
Final year med student at an elite Amurrican med school here.

I am on the /biz/ board. That says a lot. 10% of my class are doing a Wharton MBA. Everyone else realizes there's no money to be made in medicine. Basically like someone else posted, we're just higher-rate wageslaves. Those "glamorous" surgeons making $500,000 a year? They're working 100hr/wk pumping through surgery after surgery while their wife cheats on them, their kids don't know them and just know how to spend daddy's money.

I grew up with sons/daughters of doctors, nobody ever talked about it or thought about it or wanted to do it. That tells you something too. The factors contributing to this are too complex and boring to discuss but basically look at the results.

Also: med school is insanely hard to get in to, toilsome for ~10yr (w/residency), society has decreasing respect/trust/pay for doctors, and for most common issues we'll be eliminated by Dr. Google in 10 years.

Dentists though... that's a good field if you don't care about what you do and just want max efficiency of hours worked to stable "guaranteed" salary.
>>
>>1056133
It's pretty depressing desu.

My surgeon is really quiet and honestly looks a little depressed.
>>
>a bunch of nancies who think counting coins makes you a successful man don't understand why someone would work hard and sacrifice of themselves to help others

Shocking. But I do agree in regards to dentists OP. I think pharmacist would have been a better example than doctor. Do a bit of tough school then make bank counting pills.
>>
>>1056138
Retard we're saying it's not worth it for the money, but rather if you really enjoy it

OP is just some underage troll saying "Lol why don't u just get 200k in debt and go to school for 10 years to make a lot of money?"
>>
>>1056138
>Do a bit of tough school then make bank counting pills.

For the 5 years before this process is completely automated, sure.
>>
>>1056138
>>a bunch of nancies who think counting coins makes you a successful man don't understand why someone would work hard and sacrifice of themselves to help others
Kek. The only reason to go into medicine these days is to cash in on the fact that it's a legally mandated monopolistic union.
If you wanted to help people you'd go into science or get rich and fund unprofitable research into how to prevent illness rather than treating it one person at a time.
>>
teeth are weird
people are gross
people's teeth are weird and gross
i don't want a career dealing with either.
>>
>>1055876
Go lookup the abnormally high suicide rates for those proffesions and then pause to think if a decade and a half of college right when youre at your most healthy and those around you are having the most fun and sex seems like the way to go.
>>
>>1056179
But I wouldn't be having fun or sex anyway.

Also, I can see why people disagree with the idea of becoming a doctor, but I still haven't seen anything about dentists. They make good money guaranteed and all you have to do is go to dentist school.
>>
>>1056366
You know why there's a meme about dentists killing themselves the most of any other profession, right?

Fucking around in people's mouthes causing them pain for 20+ years is not exactly a fun way to live.
>>
>>1056157
Not just that but MD's need to put in 100 hour weeks for a year or two before they even get any respect, sounds painful. Dentists commit suicide a lot for some reasons yet unknown.
>>
>>1056133
Why do dentists have the highest suicide rate then? I never understood that metric. They seem to have a decently cushy job with a killer paid time off per year.

Is there really something that much more stressing about the mouth that people just can't take?
>>
>>1056411
Causing people pain, hearing the sound of drilling every single day at work, seeing gross plague and teeth, fuckibg around with small instruments in peoples mouths. Gee what a fun profession!
>>
>>1056411
I just google'd it and it seems more stressful than people realize.

http://www.oralhealthgroup.com/features/stress-in-dentistry-it-could-kill-you/

Basically,
>7ft x 9ft room for the entire day
>nobody to talk to
>often have to skip lunch
>$250k+ debt that they know they most likely won't pay off till their 30s
>traits that make someone a good dentist, such as perfectionism, are bad for stress
>have to deal with people scared of you
>>
>>1055905
POP QUIZ NIGGER

how can you be a wage slave if you have a salary
>>
>>1056131
Elaborate please. I'd like to get started on making 150 000.
>>
File: aku_barks.png (125KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
aku_barks.png
125KB, 355x355px
i would prolly suicide after 2 weeks of dentist job
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.