[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In your experience. How true is the phrase "Its not what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: consider-the-following.jpg (25KB, 300x301px) Image search: [Google]
consider-the-following.jpg
25KB, 300x301px
In your experience. How true is the phrase
"Its not what you know its who you know"?
>>
>>1055827
It's half true. In my experience, I've gotten two good jobs without knowing anyone (aside from having some references who were not affiliated with the companies I applied to.) However, I've seen plenty of cases where knowing someone opened doors for other people. I would say: "it's what you know, or it's who you know"
>>
>>1055827

Very true in fields that do not have shortages.

Nepotism trumps everything else.
>>
>>1055827
What you know is valuable, who you know is invaluable.

For example, I am good with numbers. I have a very logical and repeatable thought process for most things. I have a knack for assuming and estimating things correctly with little knowledge of eventual outcome. Therefore, I'm a valuable price analyst/cost estimator. So there's my value.

My mother has worked for the government monsters in the proposal world for years (Lockeed Martin, Space Imaging, NREL). She has 35+ years of doing anything in the related fields. She's an SME in multiple fields pertaining to the work.

I recently convinced her to start a business consulting and training companies in how to create worthwhile proposals to government solicitations off of bid strategy developed from her experience. KNOWING her was invaluable for me to use my VALUE and get work. Without her, a cost estimator with no years of experience would get paid $0 dollars per hour. But KNOWING her, and joining forces with her, allows me as an employee of a company with 35+ years of experience in the field to get paid market price (right now around $100 dollars and hour) for our services.

Richard Branson once said "If you are offered a great opportunity, accept it and learn how to do it later" giving more value to the opportunity than the skill itself.

All in all I think that knowing someone will get you farther if you have the ability to fake it til you make it.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.