[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi guys, i have 5-10k AUD that i want to put away into a vanguard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: voney.png (61KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
voney.png
61KB, 900x900px
hi guys, i have 5-10k AUD that i want to put away into a vanguard fund. i will not need to be able liquidate the investment early. which one do i pick? i only have access to aus ones and im looking to make the biggest return, though not necessarily very quickly (i can afford to wait for at least 5 years)
>>
>>1054049
18 months in and I'm down about 7%

I have funds in high yield aust, balanced, conservative, diversified bonds, hedged international, high growth, property securities

The only 1 'up' is bonds
>>
>>1054071
i see, and thats the one with the lowest return naturally

have you any experience with the etfs? they seem to be doing better but i dont want to jump onto that if the us is about to go into recession or something
>>
>>1054075
High yield Aust & high growth are both down about 20% no shit - so I'm tempted to dump everything into them in anticipation of a comeback in the next year

But the safe bet is a NAB iSaver paying 2.7% or diversified bonds if you must Vanguard
>>
>>1054080
wow, so i might as well just leave it in the bank for now? im on 3% with westpac
>>
>>1054080
ING direct offer 3% if you also have a transaction account with them. Otherwise it's 2.25%
>>
>>1054049
Go with iShares ETF that tracks the S&P500 you can buy it on ASX and their fees are piss.
>>
>>1054089
>>1054093
Well my advice is yes, keep it in Westpac or loan it to your parents if they still have a mortgage so they can put it in an offset account and you can negotiate with them for a 4% return

I sunk $100k into my mum's offset account and saved her a bunch in interest but didn't ask for anything in return - considering I pay the top tax bracket on my interest earned, 3% is really 1.8% which is only $1800 per year - whereas I can save my mum around $5k in interest payments and win 'son of the year' award
>>
>>1054105
I don't know what this means, mind explaining a little further? Did you contribute a lump sum or regularly? Why is 3% only 1.8% for you?
>>
>>1054102
ill have a look, IVV right?

>>1054105
aye the mortgage sounds like a good idea, save them a bunch of interest. is there any benefit to the offset account rather than just paying off a lump sum out of the mortgage?
>>
>>1054111
I have 100k in savings account earning 3% = $3k
I pay 37% income tax on that $3k
So I really only earn about $2k

If I put that $100k in a mortgage offset account, it reduces my mum's mortgage by $100k
If her mortgage rate is 5.5% that saves her $5.5k in interest payments for the year

What's better - me earning $2k or my mum saving $5.5k?

>>1054112
Yeah, offset account you can get the money back instantly. Paying out the mortgage could attract economic penalty and mortgage may not have redraw facility - and even if so, may charge a fee to get your money back.
>>
>>1054117
excellent, ill probably just do that then

if i may ask how did you make your moneys btw? you seem like youve got yourself set up pretty well
>>
>>1054131
I earn about $100k-$130k p/y and spend about $30k
Do that for 6 years and see what's in your bank act.

I'd loan more money to more people, I just don't trust anyone else.

e.g. If I loaned my brother $200k, his wife would rack up $200k more debt and I'd never get my money back

I wish it wasn't the case because all up I could be saving family around $20k p/y instead of earning less than $6k after tax - or only about $3k this year after vanguard losses
>>
>>1054135
are those earnings just from working or investments and stuff? apart from the mines i cant think of any accessible things that pay 100k
>>
>>1054135

What do you do for a living senpai?
>>
Love seeing Aus-relevant threads on this board.

All things being equal, if you had 100k now, would you be sinking it into the high yield ETF? We may not be at the bottom of the ASX, but surely we're getting close.

Im eyeing off NAB and SUN atm, thinking they look awful cheap for what should be pretty solid.
>>
>>1054230
are we nearing the bottom? i thought we are about to take a plunge?
>>
Lithium market!
ASX: PLS - one of the world biggest lithium deposit at the moment. If you can wait out until 2017 - 2018 when production hits, should return some good profits.
>>
I invested in that dog LYC more than a few years back when it was over $1.00. Mining/resource producers now scare the shit out of me.
>>
VGS

https://www.vanguardinvestments.com.au/adviser/jsp/investments/etf-detail/etfdetailVISIFE.jsp
>>
Notice

Anyone with experience in the stock market, who feels they can contribute is invited to join our live group chatroom.
This think tank can make us all a lot of money.

Download kik
Create a user name
Post it here, along with your level of experience
>>
>>1054049
Yeah, I'll bite.

Invested about $12k into vanguard Aus Share Index funds, it's sitting at about $10.6k.

It's the lowest it's ever been, but it's the greatest difference I've ever experienced. Some days have more value than what I invested, others have less.
>>
>>1054230
>>1054232

Imo I wouldn't wait till we hit the bottom - it's pretty hard to determine when exactly that will be.

There's unlikely to be a huge difference in capital gains when you sell out of the fund - the biggest contributor to this is time spent in the fund and cash input/dividend reinvestments.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.