[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Minimum Wage & Productivity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: robert reich is a dumbass.jpg (82KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
robert reich is a dumbass.jpg
82KB, 800x600px
Why do minimum wage advocates like Robert Reich and Bernie Sanders point to things like increased productivity to support their justifications for higher wages? For example, says that because workers productivity is higher now than it has ever been, then workers should be paid more. But does he not realize that much of this productivity is due to more efficient technology?
>>
>much of this productivity is due to more efficient technology?

So this is your thesis, not the rest of the crap you posted.
>>
>>1053116
You should take a look into the old programmers that did machine code. Got laid off when all those years into producing the likes of calculators came out.

As much as "capitalists" moan and groan about minimum wage, they cannot outrun the truth.

If your profit margin is based upon primarily selling to a lot more people than going hunting for whales, you'd be better to pay them well. The reason being is if you drive down the wage far enough, and then become reliant on the cheapest of cheap labor, people no longer have the money to buy whatever goods you're selling.

If 1 company relied on offshored labor, it's one thing. But when nearly every large company relies on it, and have now set up their entire systems around it, there' little that can be done to reverse it.
>>
You should be able to completely support yourself without government assistance on minimum wage
>>
>>1053116
>>1053133
It's far easier to just increase the minimum wage than it is to bring back the jobs that minimum wage jobs replaced.

Its easier to force McDonalds to raise it's wage to 15 an hour, than it is to address the real problem, and make say, Ford bring back all it's manufacturing and assembly lines from outside the US.
>>
>>1053166
If you live in bumfuck nowhere and arent taking classes
>>
Businesses are failures if they aren't able to pay their workers a living wage. Instead of criticizing those working minimum wage jobs, point the finger at the businesses who can't make enough profit to pay their workers.
>>
>>1053166

No, you really shouldn't. You should not be able to make a 20 year career out of being a cashier or washing cars.

Another huge problem with minimum wage is, where do you apply it?

Lets take Illinois for example. You need a minimum of 12-14 an hour to be able to live in the most crime riddled roach infested area of Chicago. 14 dollars an hour in Dixon or Savannah IL means you are living beyond comfortably. More than a few people support families on less than that right now in those areas.
>>
Have stricter immigration laws and cut back on welfare spending and then the problem would solve itself.
>>
>>1053629
>Ford bring back all it's manufacturing and assembly lines from outside the US.

GM has no issue building the majority of their vehicles for the US market in the US and Canada as do many foreign automakers. Ford can easily move their production lines north of the border.

I love hearing employers bitch about shitty workers when they pay shitty wages. You get what you pay for. Don't expect world class chefs for $8/hr or skilled welders for $12/hr.
>>
>>1053703
>More than a few people support families
They shouldn't have had families. They weren't ready. You can live off significantly less being a single adult with no dependents. It shouldn't be my problem if Jebediah or Tyrone don't like the feel of condoms and have a shit pull out game, or if couples are popping out babies willingly before they were even drinking age.
>>
>>1053116
I hate this picture and this argument. It is trying to get the masses to forget about the larger issue that the hospital and care owners are just as scummy as any other corporation.

Instead of saying a McDonald's worker doesn't deserve the equal pay of an EMT, why aren't people saying, "The EMT doesn't deserve to be so underpaid either"?

These pictures are not created by other wageslaves starved for money, these are distributed by the owners of companies to keep the lower class fighting each other. They are trying to get everyone from unifying for fair pay by putting on crab mentality.

Shared suffering is not fair for anyone. By using these pictures you are saying that the EMT salary is bad but other people should be worse.
We should want the highly profitable care industries to pay more, not the restaurants to pay less.
>>
>>1053743
Great opinion. Totally useless and brings nothing to the table though
>>
>>1053116
what you don't understand is after minuiam wage goes up all the paramedics will quit and go work at starbucks till they rasie their salary.
btw, most ambulance workers are medics or trainiees, not paramedics, so their salary would GO UP because they get paid shit.
>>
>>1053116
NY paramedics get paid $15/h.
Toronto paramedics get paid $40/h in goosedollars and up.

Step it up lards.
>>
>>1053775
>People made terrible decisions in life. Those decisions should not have consequences because everyone deserves an equal outcome.
Why even bother being wise?
>>
>>1053738
Also dumping on Ford is not really fair when automakers in general still have alot of manufacturing here.

Try Hasbro or Hewlett Packard or Black&Decker or a million other companies that used to make quality products here before bailing out for Communist China.
>>
>>1053116
>But does he not realize that much of this productivity is due to more efficient technology?

The profits have risen to match the increase in efficiency as well but it hasn't filtered back down to the workers
>>
>>1054098
Nope
>>
>>1053116

EMTs should be grateful having a steady supply of people dying from burger induced heart attacks.

That how "Trickle Down" economics work right?
>>
File: tom_curse.jpg (44KB, 549x527px) Image search: [Google]
tom_curse.jpg
44KB, 549x527px
I just enjoy the butthurt bernie commie spreads with his 25usd minimun wage plans

best butthurts are the ones who are just paying college
>>
If I had control over this I'd probably aim at making opportunities as opposed to increasing minimum wage

> cut back welfare and ei - but increase funding on affordable housing
> keep minimum wage around 10-11 dollars
> increase opportunities to advance in life
> put more funding to get people into school - scholarships, grants, etc.
> build tech hubs in cities to stimulate innovation and build companies
> offer 15-30 percent grant to students in fields of high demand (i.e. STEM) if they maintain a 3.0 gpa for that year
> alternatively, i'd even consider giving 4th year uni students about to graduate a free year to decrease student debts
> reform school system - include personal finance as a full course in high school
> increase amount of community centers and youth programs
> gym membership tax refund (50 percent)
>higher tax refunds for students with a 3.0 gpa
>increase student jobs by developing more mentorship programs and youth empowering youth programs
>find a way to give poorer parents money for raising children correctly (i.e 500 dollars for a perfect school attendance or something)
>give companies a reason to keep their employment and business in country

I'd probably make people earn it and look at increasing opportunities rather than putting a safety net for the poor

Don't give free tuition to any student, but give it to them once they earned it. Especially in degrees that are in higher demand at that time.

I'd also focus more on raising children right and ensuring they're getting a proper education
>>
>>1054181

A lot of what you're doing sounds like it would just worsen degree inflation and leave even more people with enormous debts. There is a genuine challenge as to how you redirect some of the enormous productivity gains over the last few decades back to the workforce. Flooding the jobs market with even more people with degrees won't do that or create the extra demand for those jobs, and will just have the effect of reducing pay in those careers.

>>1053772

This, pretty much. The issue is not that menial workers shouldn't be paid as much as $15 an hour, it's that paramedics deserve better compensation than what amounts to barely more than $30000 a year for a pretty tough and shitty job that requires professional training. Especially in the US where the amount spent on healthcare is absolutely astronomical. Yes, the market sets the appropriate rate, and if minimum wage were higher then that rate would have to go up in order to entice people into the job. A bit of wage inflation across the economy might not be such a bad thing.

>>1053703

Minimum wage should be decided on a regional level, not a national one (aside, perhaps, from some kind of floor which it can't be lowered beyond), but I don't know that you can break it down to that extent.

>>1053166

This is why here in the UK the Tories have introduced a higher minimum wage which is set to rise to £9 an hour ($13 at the moment, and the pound is pretty weak) by the end of the parliament. This from a right-wing government which is slashing public spending. It puts the onus on employers to pay their staff enough to live on, rather than on the taxpayer to pick up the tab, and saves shitloads of public money.
>>
>>1053116
Why don't we have a minimum wage that is tied to inflation?
>>
File: 1368473595318.png (395KB, 669x689px) Image search: [Google]
1368473595318.png
395KB, 669x689px
I'm on /biz/ right? Where are all these minimum wage commies comming from?
>>
Average minimum wage worker is 32.
>>
>>1053743
this isn't fucking Jerome m8, its 18 - 22 year old kids, with no plans to go to college/university, not being able to support themselves.
>>
>>1053116
Yeah getting more money doesnt increase productivity. When I was 19 I was getting paid $35 an hour and me and my coworkers wanted to kill ourselves so we would all do the bare minimum. Only reason the pay was so high was because of how horrible the job was.
>>
>>1054318
>Why don't we have a minimum wage that is tied to inflation?
this

also OP image is silly when minimum wage is raised other salaries will adjust too
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.