[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /biz/ how hard is it to make it as a freelancer? I have wageslave-tier

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: whysohipster.jpg (56KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
whysohipster.jpg
56KB, 500x400px
Hey /biz/ how hard is it to make it as a freelancer? I have wageslave-tier job but this was un purpose as it gives me time to focus on my writing.

Now, it's been six months since I've seriously pursued a freelance career but I have yet to make a single coin of it and it's starting to take it's toll on my finance (like I'll have to move to a cheaper house next week, but this is mostly because my roommates can't manage their money for shit so I'm parting ways with them).

I noticed a long time ago that the freelance "scene" (for lack of a better word) has many similarities with formal employment like the "we need you to have 10 years of experience flipping burguers if you want to flip burguers for me" meme so I have this belief that once I manage to land a job I'll get rolling but I'm getting my doubts now.

On the other hand thanks to the unpaid gigs I've gotten my portafolio is getting better but still I've heard nobody gives a shit about your portafolio any more than they give a shit about your grades.

Also, I'm not sure if I should just sell my work really cheap, it's my understanding that willingly getting underpaid is just worst for everyone in the long run because it cheapens the fees as a whole.
>>
>>1052398
>Hey /biz/ how hard is it to make it as a freelancer?

Freelancing is a meme.
>>
>>1052398
>>1052585

You either run a real business (even small) or you don't.
>>
>>1052585
JIDF detected!
>>
>>1052593
>JIDF detected!

Freecuck shill pls. leave
>>
Alright Anon. lemme tell you all about myself, and how I live as a freelancer, as I'm someone that freelances and makes decent money at it so far.

Let me just say, this life can get pretty damn stressful, as you probably already notice. A lot of times it's drown or drought. Meaning there will be some weeks I'm working 12 hour days for several weeks straight. And others I'm just pressing a few buttons and gettin paid in cheeseburgers. A bit more background though is I own my home, so I don't have to worry about rent. Just my other bills.

The first thing you need to do, now that you've got a decent portfolio? Stop working for free. Seriously. Don't do unpaid gigs anymore. If someone is unwilling to pay for your time, don't ever do anything for them. Your time is valuable, and your portfolio is better spent being filled by shit that you like to do, or with stuff you've done for other clients you can show off.

Secondly: What do you think your skills are worth? Do you think you deserve to be paid a professional level? Minimum wage? Always take a look at your finances, and decide what you think you should be paid, at a minimum.

Me personally, I work as a freelance writer. I currently do a lot of different writing. Copywriting, Creative Writing, Technical writing, you name it. I've currently got several projects lined up that range from writing some 15 year old kids Undertale fanfiction, to helping some guy write the fluff of his Fantasy Setting world on /tg/, to helping some guy write and research a thesis for college, to writing another guy's podcast show and yet another with copywrite for their amazon chinese products.

Plus it starts off slow. When I was doing this at first I earned barely $100 a month. Now I make about $1000 on average a month working about 5-6 hours a day (including weekends), and it's getting better slowly. I've been at this a little less than a year.

Rough shit man. But it's honestly a lot of fun.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.