[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is information systems a meme major? I'm 3rd year Computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1443402331208.jpg (118KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1443402331208.jpg
118KB, 720x960px
Is information systems a meme major?
I'm 3rd year Computer Information Systems student at Pennsylvania State and it seems pretty interesting and easy so far. Haven't had any internships yet, but will try to get something this summer.

What's the outlook like for CIS grads in 2016?
>>
>>1052330
IDK about your particular major. But if you're talking about the work, I work in analytics and when I was searching for a job a couple months ago I literally got cold-called 20 times a day by recruiters to do shit related to Data-warehousing, ETL and Hadoop ecosystem stuff. So it seems like a pretty good bet.
>>
>>1052337
Sounds good. I'm looking forward to it.
I'm pretty shit at math though, IS is a business major after all.
I know SQL, some SAS, some basic Cpp.
I hope that advanced stuff doesn't require much more than Calc 1.
>>
why didn't you major in IST?
>>
>>1052346
Seemed like more of a code monkey type of major and I'm not about that lifestyle of withering behind a keyboard. Tbh, coding bores me.

I do enjoy db optimizing though. I get almost an adrenaline rush out of increasing query speed by 1 second.
>>
>>1052330

It was my major 10 years ago. Here's the deal with IS. It's like 30% as difficult as computer science, but gets 70% as much respect as computer science. It is the slacker IT major.

If you want to stick with the IS route, I urge you to pick either databases (especially SQL) or networking and get really good at whichever you have chosen.

Career-wise, your goal should be to move to management as quickly as possible so you can leave the coding/scripting grunt work to non-slackers.
>>
>>1052330
you could try to go into building/working on business solutions. It can involve some database work. If your pretty good at data modeling or at least understanding ERDs working with a consulting firm might be a good way to go.

You'd also make a solid candidate for IT... If your into that kind of thing.

But if you go IT, like >>1052355 said, work your way to management.
>>
>>1052355
So you'd advocate management info sys over comp info sys?

I've decided I'm going to specialize in databases, going to get some oracle certs, possibly SAS base 9 and advanced.
>>
>>1052363

MIS does not equal management, despite its name. But for databases, either should be fine. The database path is a fine choice.

Yes definitely strive for management... you don't want to have to learn the intricacies of every new flavor of the week in the world of IT. You want to know the generalities and spend your time attending meetings and delegating work.
>>
>>1052372
Sounds comfy and something I'd enjoy.
Are there any tips or insights you could share with me in regards to making my way up the ladder into management?
>>
>>1052376

Do your job. Don't ask unnecessary questions. Strive to be well liked without ever burdening anyone.

You'd be surprised how many people fuck things up for themselves by not doing those very simple things.
>>
>>1052382
One of my biggest fears is being a burden to my first employer.
I hope I learn a lot interning.

By the way, thanks anon.
>>
>>1052343
calc 1 is really just a warmup for multivariate calc and 2nd order diff eq, which is probably the only math you're gonna be using in any job (of course they will 99% of the time be solved numerically in software)

So desu I don't think calc 1 is enough.
>>
Fellow ISfag here, going into a Master's program this year. Hope to get into an Engineering PhD program when I've finished that and get into information security.

Would be interested in talking about the field with other anons who are in IS.
>>
>>1052395
Hm, well, Penn State Smeal is one of the top business schools in the country and for they only require Calc 1 for their IS majors.

>MATH 110 (GQ) Techniques of Calculus I (4) Functions, graphs, derivatives, integrals, techniques of differentiation and integration, exponentials, improper integrals, applications.
>>
Doing IS/Finance at a top target school am I in a good position?
>>
>>1052438
yes... but get a good internship
>>
File: S66ElZi.gif (2MB, 292x292px) Image search: [Google]
S66ElZi.gif
2MB, 292x292px
>>1052350
Yeah... that's pretty much IST lol. Without all the tedious Smeal intro courses taught by professors like Ron Jon.

Just curious, what types of internships (companies) do most people in CIS students get?
>>
>>1053740
>>1052350
meant
>I do enjoy db optimizing though. I get almost an adrenaline rush out of increasing query speed by 1 second.
THIS is what IST pretty much is. Only the Design+Development option is code monkey shit
>>
>>1053742
I just took a 5+ minute process down to < 500ms this week. Bad devs make me look so good
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.