[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Six Hour Work Day

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: OfficeShutdown.png (73KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
OfficeShutdown.png
73KB, 800x800px
So /biz/,

What is your opening on the six hour work day? Increase or decrease productivity? Depends on the type of work?

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34677949

Discuss.
>>
France did this in 2000 in an attempt to generate more jobs. The thinking was that the remaining hours would need to be filled by someone, and that hiring would therefore increase.

What actually happened was that productivity went up, hiring did not increase, and unemployment didn't change.
>>
>>1049436
What if I want to work more than six hours per day?
>>
>>1049465
Overtime, just like the current eight hour day systems that exist.

I think productivity would go up, honestly, in many jobs. I know that I feel more productive, at least per hour, when I work a four hour shift versus an eight hour shift (same job). I can work myself harder and feel a bit more pressure to make an impact in a shorter amount of time, whereas during a longer shift I spend more time fucking around wasting time, and I can't maintain as high an output because I'll tire myself out (generally speaking. I've had go-go-go 13 hour days and been fine).

Hiring probably wouldn't go up in places like large retail chains, because the amount of under 6-hour shift part-time employees are so large to begin with. Hard to say with other jobs, but in many cases it would likely remain beneficial to just give a current employee time-and-a-half pay than to go through the costs of hiring another employee, where the costs of training and additional insurance/benefits come into play, plus issues of consistency, instability, etc.

The France thing supports this idea. Otherwise I have no idea what I'm talking about.
>>
>>1049436
I work about 6 hours a day its plenty of time to get things done. Now if I have a big project it will spike up to 8+ for a few weeks.

I suppose it depends on the job though.
>>
Sounds like bullshit. Right now my dad works two jobs on a 13 hour shift nd makes 80 grand. Corpswill loophole that or we will rape our exports.
>>
>>1049436
>What actually happened was that productivity went up, hiring did not increase, and unemployment didn't change.
D I S G U S T I N G!
How can those baguette fellating poofs live with themselves working anythinf LESS than 8 h/pd with at least 4h/pw of unpaid overtime!?
What next? Moderate universal income?
>>
>>1049551
>I think productivity would go up, honestly, in many jobs. I know that I feel more productive, at least per hour, when I work a four hour shift versus an eight hour shift (same job). I can work myself harder and feel a bit more pressure to make an impact in a shorter amount of time, whereas during a longer shift I spend more time fucking around wasting time, and I can't maintain as high an output because I'll tire myself out...
Bullcrap! You Millennials just lack work ethic and grit.
Look at the Japanese. They work upwards of 13h/pd, Modernised rapid once they opened up, pulled themselves out of WWII and are now one of the mos successful countries in the world!
>>
>>1049436
Just another way to fuck wageslaves, hire someone for 6 hours at shitty wage, next shift hire another for 6 hours at shitty wage
>>
Historically every decrease in average work time resulted in productivity gains

>>1050750
There's to much labour scarcity to pull something like that off
>>
>>1049436
>Depends on the type of work?

obviously

if you're stuffing envelopes or doming something similarly mundane then long hours aren't a huge issue

if you're doing something involving problem solving, creativity then perhaps there is some merit here
>>
>>1049460

Which is exactly why it's brilliant. What's not to like about increased productivity, and a couple of hours more free time to boot? Win-win.
>>
I've had a few wage slave jobs.

One was 8.5 hour days with two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute unpaid lunch. 7 hours total work.

One was an 8 hour day with two 15 minutes breaks and 30 minute lunch. No set schedule. We were often so busy that lunches and breaks got missed. Few hours of overtime every week - it was completely exhausting and moral/productivity certainly took a toll.

8 hours days with an unpaid hour long lunch - felt retarded taking an hour long break (get back from break and only have 2 hours left). 7 hours.

12 hour days with 30 minute lunch whenever. It was supervision. Honestly probably 4 hours of real work total. The rest was basically just hanging out and "supervising"

The 12 hour day was the easiest job I ever had. You were tired when you got home, and people thought I was nuts for working that much, but it wasn't really work.
I wouldn't mind a 6 hour straight session. I'd rather have my free time to spend at home.
>>
Ameriburger here, working a job where 10-12 hours unsupervised per day is the norm. Shorter days are much more productive (about the same work accomplished in 2/3 the time) and preferred, but due to pay I prefer more hours.
It benefits me to have long days because I can knock out 40+4(OT) in 4 'sacrificed' days and still have 3 complete days off in a week. If anything longer days screw over business owners.
>>
>>1050779
Sounds nice especially when your average person spends at least 2 hours of his or her 8 hour day fucking around. I'd rather not pretend to be working and just be able to sleep in a little later or enjoy a little more of my day.
>>
>>1049436
So long as pay isn't utterly fucked due to it i'm all for it
I'd rather go HAM for 6hrs than half ass it for 8+
>>
>>1049436
i prefer 12 hour workdays 3-4 days a week. if i didnt have wife and kids, i'd prefer to bang out all the work asap. 16-18 hours a day 6-7 days a week. when there isnt anything left to do take time off. not many jobs lend themselves to this though.
>>
>>1049460
It fucked people who are not on salary. It was meant to create jobs for the working class and ended up doing nothing for them. People who CHOSE to work 60 hours a week to make ends meet were forced to pretty much half their hours in order to comply to the law. Anyone with no salary working a zero-hour contract got fucked and they're the ones who were meant to benefit from the increased employment rate.. So yeah, it's not as rosie as it seems. Obviously productivity goes up etc.. But for people who are really desperate and don't have a cushty salaried office job it's quite a shit policy.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.