[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you DARE saying technical analysis doesn't work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

How do you DARE saying technical analysis doesn't work?

1) Gap up, bottom tail forms and we have a breakout pivot.
2) Bearish engulf in a downtrend followed by a bearish marubozu.
3) Top tail in a downtrend.
>>
File: 1450528046799.png (250KB, 805x535px) Image search: [Google]
1450528046799.png
250KB, 805x535px
>>
>>1049441
Oh shit.
I didn't realize we were in a duck pattern.

For those that don't know a duck pattern means you should stay away from consumer staples and stocks and put money in the banking sector.
>>
My favorite three are the reverse shooting star pattern, the double cross soaring eagle and the golden merchant star.
>>
File: 1433932835337.jpg (69KB, 1080x777px) Image search: [Google]
1433932835337.jpg
69KB, 1080x777px
>>1049441

>yfw when you go long during a duck pattern
>>
>>1049313

MFW I didn't recognize the downward facing blue waffle until it was too late and I got a margin call
>>
>>1049313
TA is great for short term, less great for long term.

buy and hold shitters don't like to admit the first part because it means they're missing out on money, however. they cope by denying it lmao.
>>
>>1049833
Yeah I read a book comprised of interviews about TA from top hedge funds and banks and the story is usually this.

Also keep in mind, its not just seeing a head and shoulders that convinces them, they have a ton of other indicators and what they seem to spend most time with is volume analysis.

When it comes to their personal investment strategy, they all claim to use both FA and TA.
>>
>>1049313
looking for patterns, inefficiencies in time series data is fine

technical analysis gets a bad rep because it is full of pseudoscience and dubious claims
>>
>>1049890
>time series data
>not being a troll
>>
>>1049873
They deal with statistics and historical prices. Vwap is also important, for intraday trading.
>>
>>1049918
not trolling, it is true - TA is an area full of dubious claims and pseudoscience - this is why it has such a bad rep among professionals
>>
>>1049952
there is nothing inherently wrong with making predictions from price data but the way a lot of TA proponents go about it just makes it look like a complete joke - big trend following CTAs will claim to use quantitative analysis, they'll not mention TA even though a lot of what they do is based purely on price data... the main reason is simply marketing - TA is perceived as a complete joke by lots of serious institutional investors
>>
File: simons630.jpg (81KB, 630x380px) Image search: [Google]
simons630.jpg
81KB, 630x380px
>>1049956
>big trend following CTAs will claim to use quantitative analysis, they'll not mention TA even though a lot of what they do is based purely on price data... the main reason is simply marketing - TA is perceived as a complete joke by lots of serious institutional investors
This is true.

Quants build TA into their models all the time. Usually they are power contrarian models based on "machine learning". In the end, no one can match the power of the simple moving average, the best technical indicator in the world.

RSI(2) --weekly-- is the second best for short term modeling. I am drunk so I probably should shut up. I trade energies too.

Pic is the biggest, baddest data mining profiteer in the world.
>>
>>1049441
Stop that.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.