[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the cheapest, yet healthiest way, to eat? I live

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10

What's the cheapest, yet healthiest way, to eat? I live alone so I have to buy all my food.
>>
1. Find a grocery that sells things in bulk bins.
2. Label whey with the white flour id #

No cashier in the world will notice the difference.
>>
My biz lunches

>bulk quinoa
In bulk it's cheap as hell. Not as cheap as a 50 lb bad of rice, but it's still almost free and it has much more nutrient value than most cheap grains

>costco roasted chickens
They sell these as a loss leader. It us the cheapest chicken going most of the time ( even if you factor in the membership)

>whatever frozen bulk veggies are on sale

I pick the chickens, freeze half and store half fot imminent use.

Roast the picked bones and make them into a chicken stock. Cook the quinoa in large batches in chicken stock. Freeze some and keep some. End up with leftover stock too.

Then I package up quinoa, chicken, and veg in a plastic container like the ones you get from alot of take out places. Like a 4 by 7 inch plastic container with snap on lid.

This is a well rounded meal and it's very cheap. Not as cheap as rice and beans though.
>>
>>1049168
No OP, but thanks anon. Great advice and sounds yummy as fuck.
>>
soylent
>>
NEET here, my local supermarket sells a whole loaf of bread for 30p. I can eat for a week for less than £1.
>>
>>1049150
I eat spinach, two types of fruits, smoked salmon, eggs, avocados, nan bread, and canned organic beans, dried pomegranate, unsalted nuts, and sometimes ribs from Costco every week. Runs be about $90 a week on food.
>>
ask /fit/, they have great stuff for cheap /fit/ living.
>>
>>1049166
Diabolical
>>
>>1049405
>$90/week
>$360/month
>cheap
>>
>>1049168

> need more like this
>>
Live on rice, lentils, beans, chicken and vegetables. Don't shop at Ralph's or albertsons or anything like that. Buy in bulk or from Mexican supermercados. Plan your meals and cook in bulk
>>
Invest in a bigass freezer. Whenever there's a sale on good meat, you're going to buy 30kg of it.

It won't take you long for the freezer to pay for itself. This is essentially buying the dips and lowering your average cost, hence /biz/.
>>
>>1049150
>>
>>1049405
I literally do the same thing, except I do 70 per week and get more fruit.

Get my shit from Whole Foods. My basics are 70 per week, if I want new stuff it costs extra (bought a 4 dollar pineapple this week)

Wish I had a roommate since a lot of my shit goes bad
>>
>>1049150
after stockign your pantry with the basics like spices, baking powder, baking soda, and kitchen equipment your shopping list should look something like this

>flour
>Yeast
>milk
>fruits and vegatable like spinach
> bread
>cheese
> what ever meat is on sale
> one snack/ indulgence item

it should be less than $40 bucks a week.
>>
>>1049405
70 a week feeds my whole family of 4. are you shopping at whole paycheck or something?
>>
>>1049394
You know prisoners eat better than that
>>
>>1049512
god dammit
>>
reddit.com/r/mealprepsunday
>>
I live in Canada so food is fucking ridiculously expensive. Asparagus was at $8/pound the other day. Fruit is just as bad. Brick of cheese costs $10. Impossible to eat healthy and cheaply here. I hate it.
>>
I shop at Asian markets, they often have stuff much cheaper than you could get it in normal supermarkets (e.g. Rice is like 60-70% cheaper than buying it at my local supermarket). There's also a big market where I live so I can always get fresh fruits, veggies and meat relatively cheaply (even cheaper if I try to haggle).
>>
>>1049150
I go to a place that sells fruit for pennies the day after it's 'best before' date and load up. I do eat other stuff, but cheap fruit is pretty much my staple these days.
>>
Peanut butter sandwich + fruit + rice + beans + fish.
>>
>>1049150
broccoli and sweet potatos

google "how to eat healthy on 3 dollars a day"
>>
>>1049150
Warrior Diet.

Fast all day, eat once at night
>>
I can't imagine being frugal when it comes to food. I'd rather go out less or buy less new clothes than eat shitty frozen vegetables and frozen meat.
>>
>>1049853

Whoa......I'm a warrior and already do that, well....I make a cup of coffee and drink it through the first half of my day.
>>
File: 1448418996928.jpg (233KB, 600x720px) Image search: [Google]
1448418996928.jpg
233KB, 600x720px
>>1049150
the body can live 30+ days without food and just water.

eating 3 meals a day is just a myth for americans to stuff there face in the food industry. Along with retarded ass holidays like thanksgiving,valentine's day, diamond wedding rings etc all bullshit to spend on useless shit.
>>
File: fit food cheap.jpg (913KB, 1218x2643px) Image search: [Google]
fit food cheap.jpg
913KB, 1218x2643px
>>
The healthiest diet is:

50% vegetables
40% meat
5% nuts and seeds
3% fruit
2% dairy
No grains
>>
>>1049906

Fuck that, humans have intentionally evolved themselves to eat grains and drink beer, that's why Inuit (Eskimos) have dry towns because they're bloodline didn't grow with alcohol and bread/pasta. If you're white eat it. High asians too, no pan faced island apes.
>>
>>1049906
>muh paleo
>>
>>1049925

Eh there is a pretty significant percentage of white people who cannot handle the insulin spikes. Its much worse with other races but still. Only asians are super adjusted to living off of carbs.
>>
>>1049150

who is this semen demon?
>>
>>1049906
Nothing wrong with that but white people can consume more grains and milk than that. That's an adaptation from within the past 10,000 years or so. I think whole sprouted grains (like if you've ever had mana bread) and raw fresh milk are important though. World of difference between that stuff and supermarket crap.

I say white people not to be racist but I'm pretty sure other races can't digest lactose very well.
>inb4 social construct
>>
>>1049906

Pretty much this, though the more active you are, you would probably switch vegetable with meat. Active people need more protein to rebuild muscle tissue.

>>1049938

A blend of Atkins and Paleo really is a healthy way to live.

>>1049925

Grains are really not good for you. The idea we "evolved" to eat them is laughable as there has simply not been enough time between the agricultural revolution and now for a human to evolve anything. Grains really have no nutritional content worth noting. They provide calories to keep your body from cannibalizing muscle tissue, that is about it
>>
File: laughing_tom_cruise.jpg (35KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_tom_cruise.jpg
35KB, 500x333px
>>1049965
>A blend of Atkins and Paleo really is a healthy way to live.

People are THIS stupid
>>
Search on YouTube "get big on a budget" it shows bodybuilders buying food at local grocery stores. There's different videos where they only spend 50 and some 100.
>>
>>1049965

There has been enough time for humans to evolve since then. It certainly hasn't happened though because getting fat from eating grains hasn't removed people from the gene pool in really high percentages.
>>
>>1049968

Great argument there

>>1049978

Id say the percentage of diabetes cases among first world populations is pretty good proof that humans shouldnt be eating insane amounts of sugar and carbs (basically the same thing to your body)

Just because they can reproduce while missing their feet doesnt mean they have "evolved" 10k years btw is nothing for evolution. Add a zero to that and you can start to see real evolution. You need a minimum of 45 generations to see the signs of Microevolution, the smallest measure, and that only gives you tiny changes to the species. For true evolution you need anywhere from 150-200 generations.
>>
File: 7992210849-.jpg (591KB, 1024x787px) Image search: [Google]
7992210849-.jpg
591KB, 1024x787px
Supose i want to buy 1000 barrels of oil.
Where is it stored? How will i go about selling it in the future? Does it expire?
>>
>>1049985
>all this broscience
>>
>>1049985

>45 generations for microevolution

Where is this from?

Wouldnt you agree that if all fat people were executed before reaching reproductive maturity (and somehow this didn't change anyones behaviors) that in 3 or 4 generations you would have significantly less people with genes that make them grain intolerant?

Bad analogy but can you see what im saying anyway?
>>
>>1049168
Second this for the costco chickens, only buy the frozen ones in big packs and then just pop it in freezer until you need. Chicken and rice, Chili, radishes, and pasta with beans added are all usualy very cheap.
>>
>>1049987
Door to door of course. It's oil, it was underground for millions of years, of course it expires.
>>
>>1049987
call exxon
>>
>>1049987

I own a few shitty oil wells Ill sell oil directly to the highest bidder. We store it in 300bbl steel tanks that are worth a lot more than the oil though so youre going to have figure the storage out yourself. I suggest digging a pit and lining it with plastic thats your cheapest option.
>>
>>1049673

I recommend this. Afghani/Indian stores, for vegetables, are most often way cheaper than any other. I ate well for £15 a week in East London. If you're buying processed goods buy in bulk/when on sale.

Only thing I don't like is sometimes you get racial prejudice, usually from blacks. This butcher at an Indian shop was a real nigger, used to click and mutter under his breath, and I'd never said anything to the cunt. Probably an illegal.

>>1049663

Canada expensive? I live in NZ. I know how that feels. Are you supermarkets cartels too?
>>
>>1049150
Take a month to work on it. It´ll be worth it.

Step one: Log everything related to food: everything you eat, everything you buy, and the prices of mostly everything healthy in your supermarket.

Step two: analyze the data. Find out that you´re spending a fuckload of money in some shitty thing you don´t even like that much. Find out that other thing that´s quite nice is surprisingly cheap. Determine how much you want to spend in food a month, and how much that means you can spend daily, so how much per meal. It´ll be of great help if you also know your nutrient needs. Carbs/protein/fat is enough, just have some fruit every now and then. See what ingredients will get you to those needs within your budget.

Step three: Learn to cook. Focus on recipes that use those ingredients. People love to throw 12 ingredients into a single recipe - avoid those, aim for 3-4 ingredients. 6 is OK for big pot things. A favorite of my SO is potatoes + beans + chicken meat + cheese. 4 ingredients, nutritious as fuck, has all carbs, proteins and fats. I prefer lentils + beans + carrots + peppers + tomatoes + maybe some meat. With some rice, a pot can feed me for a week and costs next to nothing per serving, specially if I ditch the meat.

Step four: narrow your diet. Sodas, precooked food, whatever shit you´re eating now. All out. It´s not just unhealthy, it´s also more expensive than actual healthy food. Live a few months on the minimum and don´t use too many spices. Focus on learning to cook and to appreciate flavors. I repeat: take a few months to learn to appreciate natural flavors. There´s a big chance you´re too spoiled by additives to enjoy actual healthy stuff.

Step five: broaden your diet. Pick an ingredient that would fit your diet, but you don´t like. Cook it in at least 3 different recipes before ditching it. I fucking hate eggs and I fucking hate potatoes, yet I love me a good Spanish tortilla (eggs+potatoes, maybe some onion).

That´s it.
>>
>>1049590
But wtf do you eat? Meat on its own? A sandwich at night? What about work? You are all a bunch of idiots who gets their mums to buy their food
>>
File: OW_MedPyramid_612x792.jpg (242KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
OW_MedPyramid_612x792.jpg
242KB, 612x792px
>>1050571
Also, try to stick to that price limit in the first few weeks. You´ll get used to add more rice, lentils, beans, whatever cheap nutritive but somewhat plain tasting stuff you have available, and that means you can cut on more expensive ingredients.

After those first few weeks you can start juggling. It´s OK to have a meal that´s three times your goal price/meal if you usually stick under it.

And learn control portion. Specially with meat - it´s expensive and too delicious. I love a good steak, but that´s a luxury for those days between big pots of cheaper food. Generally I buy high quality meat and use only a little portion, thinly cut. While before I could wolf down 200 gr. of meat in a meal (even if it wasn´t the main ingredient), now I´m fine with 50 gr. It´s better quality, it tastes better, it tastes more (so it doesn´t really matter that it´s less amount because every little bite still fills the mouth with flavor), and in the end it´s still cheaper.

It´s somewhat annoying at the beginning, specially because most food tastes plain as hell, but after some time you just start rediscovering everything. Sometimes I boil a handful of lentils for dinner. That´s it - no spices, no other ingredients. Just lentils boiled for 20 minutes. And it´s fucking delicious, while a year ago I had to add something strong to them to enjoy them properly.

tl;dr Learn to cook, make it simple. Mediterranean and Japanese diets seem to be the best ones for your health, check out recipes and mix them. Try to keep a good carb/prot/fat balance.

>>1050578
That sounds like you just got out of home and your mom was buying yours yesterday.

You´re an adult. You eat what you want to eat, cooked and composed as you want. Details vary too much depending on your location, your nutrient needs and your taste, so we can only give you general guidelines.

Me, I eat pretty much everything, cooked in many different ways. You just need some experience. Do >>1050571
>>
>>1050581
>>1050578
That anon is right on track. I don´t use yeast and cheese is too expensive here for weekly consumption, but the rest is pretty much spot on.

To be more specific, I eat mostly bread, rice, lentils, beans, peppers, tomatoes, milk, and chicken/pig/cow whatever´s on sale (often but very small portions). Second row is potatoes, onions, muesli, and a lot of veggies and fruit - mostly whatever´s in season because it´s always better and cheaper. Specially pumpkins and carrots (both great for soups and creams). Apples and grapes are usually the cheapest fruits.

Also olive oil. I´m Spanish, so that´s a staple. It´s healthy, packed with calories and fats. Shame I have to import it, but whatever, it´s still cheaper than buying it here.

I love fish, but now I´m living in the middle of Germany and it´s just bad here. I get some frozen fish from time to time to compensate, and eat tuna cans in salads.

My diet is mostly salads (either lettuce/tomato/tuna or the big one, which also has carrot, beetroot, corn, onion and schnitzel), different soups, and fried/baked veggies and meat with big rice/lentil/bean portions.

Often I just mix ingredients to make something new (which doesn´t always work...) or search recipes from different cultures to make/modify.

I also like to make frozen burritos for those lazy days. 2 hours of work and 12€ for 16 burritos, each one a full meal by itself.

I work at home, but my girlfriend goes out. When she needs to stay longer, I usually pack her a nice lunchbox. Today she got two handfuls of rice boiled then fried for a few seconds with soy sauce, plus some lightly fried carrots and prince beans with plenty of spicy because spicy makes food taste better even after it´s no longer warm. Also some homemade chicken meat coated in egg and then breadcrumbs, then fried (schnitzel? No idea how´s it in English). The rest of the egg went into a small omelette. Proportions are 1/3 rice, 2/6 veggies, 1/6 meat. Also an apple.
>>
>>1049150

Buy canned tuna

It's really all you need
>>
>>1050571
>>1050581
>>1050597

>>1050578
So to wrap it up, handling your diet is one of those high power, high responsibility things. You need to get creative and put some effort into it, and you´ll be hugely rewarded by the results. But we can´t just give you a specific plan with what you should eat at every moment every day because it´s just too fucking complex. And you should vary your diet or you´ll get burnt out. I don´t have any kind of plan, I eat whatever I feel like when I feel like. It´s a matter of keeping it reasonable and proportional. Some weeks it´s full blown meat and eggs, some weeks it´s only vegan.

I usually plan my meals for 2-4 days. Going shopping? OK. The next three days I´ll eat this one soup that I know gives six meals (me and gf). It´s cheap and veggie only, so I´ll also grab some meat to throw in a salad for dinner, and make sure I have enough for another six meals.

Then maybe I feel like having the salad for lunch and the soup for dinner, or like making something completely new with the ingredients I have. But generally I stick to that 2-4 day planning. I buy what I´m going to eat, and plan something new after I´m done. Sometimes I eat the same soup 5 times in a week, sometimes it´s small portions of many things and we eat something different every day.

I think that´s the best way. Plan to buy and cook, not to eat. Fuck preplanned weeks and months. What´s the point of deciding I´ll eat this or that next Sunday? Maybe I feel like something completely different. Better keep variety and learn to use well your ingredients and leftovers.

Some people just can´t be bothered, though. If that´s your case, I´d be up for a deal. I´ll do the study for you for a sum (well, and info about availability/needs), and for a monthly fee I´ll plan your daily meals for you, down to what to buy and exactly how to cook it so you have both direction and choice.
maposincetobi at gmail dot com
>>
>>1049239
dude it's people
>>
>>1050606
And get poisoned.
>>
Low fat protein shakes for breakfast.

Buy turkey coldcuts and whole wheat wraps for lunch.

Chicken and rice for dinner.

Also take multivitamins.

Eat whatever you want for dinner 1 or 2 days a week.
>>
File: Kexchoklad.jpg (3MB, 7216x5412px) Image search: [Google]
Kexchoklad.jpg
3MB, 7216x5412px
Kitkat all day, everyday.
Them calories.
And drink juice with actual vitamines.

In sweden we have something called >Kexchoklad, which better kitkat.
It's pretty nutricious macro-wise.
100Gs:
9g Protons
57g carbs
29g fats
Fucking 530 calories.

God bless Kexchoklad
>>
>>1049168
yeah the costco chicken idea is really good, thanks man

buying 30 is just under $200 bucks with taxes included

anyone know if they have a maximum purchase limit per customer? or would it be okay to load up 30 into my cart
>>
>>1050606
I love canned tuna but at over $.50 a can, its pretty expensive. Still my go to for a snack though.
>>
>>1051508
TRUE AUTISM
>>
>>1050540

Auckland here

Spend about $100 a week on food in order to eat healthy

Can't believe food costs so much when our country is basically one giant farm
>>
>>1051532
lol what? the idea of having a well cooked chicken every day is nice... I never thought about how cheap they actually are

pair it with their basmati rice, keep different seasoning around to keep things fresh, and I see myself being able to eat like this forever, under $300 a month.

I called my local costco and they said they usually keep around 20 out at all times, but if I call an hr before I come they'll put more out, there is no purchase limit.
>>
>>1051532
also the convenience holy fuck, having to shop for food just once a month

only cooking to do is your rice/veggies every few days
>>
>>1051539
Do you know what an absolute retard you'll look like buying 30 cooked chickens at once? just buy a few a week, they're not going up in price. For fuck sakes...
>>
>>1049150
Cheapest, healthiest? Whoever says "vegetables" is a grade-A moron, since your average vegetable is neither particularly healthy, nor very cheap for the amounts you need to eat. Most vegetables are just water.

Here's a super food, truly. Enjoy this world-renowned yet cleverly in-plain-sight secret of sages of old, and housewives alike: potatoes. Have a bunch of potatoes, and a multi-vitamin pill, and you'll be fine. Throw some chicken or whatever in there, and you'll be living like a king.

>inb4
>Whaa, muh fad diet/quasi-veganism-cult
Yeah yeah, fuck off.

>>1049906
>2% dairy
Shitskin weakling detected, please leave. I almost exclusively drink milk, about two liters a day on average. I pretty much only have cheese on my sandwiches, too. Are you triggered yet? Good, kill yourself.
>>
>>1049168
Jesus Christ what a fucking retard.

Quinoa has the nutritional value of oats at 10x the cost, roasted chicken is 2-4x as expensive as raw chicken, and frozen veggies are rarely cheaper than fresh.
>>
>>1051558
sure you'll look a little nutty who the fuck cares what other people at costco thinks? it's the difference between having to drive to costco once a week and once a month

less time, less fuel $$
>>
>>1049168
>>1051581
>roasted chicken
I don't know where you guys live, but here you can buy a fresh whole chicken cheaper than any other sort. Boil it with some seasoning, cook in an oven, very cheap. A bit of work cleaning it, but if you're looking for direct savings (i.e. don't count the time spent cleaning chickens) then that might be a good option.
>>
>>1051596
In my area it's about $1.30 per pound for raw chicken

costco cooked chicken is ~3lbs and cost $4.99+tax

paying an extra ~$1.25 for a perfectly cooked chicken (if you've never had costco chicken, try it it's actually amazing) is not too bad, and I personally hate the process of cooking meat
>>
File: lol.jpg (88KB, 585x591px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
88KB, 585x591px
>>1051539
please post pictures
>>
S O U P S
O
U
P
S
>>
>>1049663

Superstore is pretty good

Nabob was $4 a bag the other day, and every day fresh Italian bread is .95

They also sell a lot of ethnic spices which are all based around a rice eating diet, which is as cheap as it gets
>>
>>1049150
Surprisingly:
>McDonald's dollar menu
Seriously;
>I'm lovin' 357 calories for a buck
Suspicious?
>just walk everywhere to burn that fat
>>
>>1049505
Probably the best advice on this site
>>
>>1051508
desu I think it would be just rude
>>
Rice, vegetables

cheapest meats available

eggs, oatmel

you can live off of $5 or so a day comfortably, and it's healthy too. A bag of rice lasts a month.
>>
Also, no one has said growing your own shit?
Check this guy out kind of a weak intro but w/e https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nN5WdAhAU4
>>
File: 1450128902825.jpg (43KB, 620x614px) Image search: [Google]
1450128902825.jpg
43KB, 620x614px
Beans, corn and rice make a complete protein.

Use that as a base and add cheap rotisserie chickens/eggs or cheese. Flavor with siracha/teriyaki as needed.
>>
>>1051508
Lol wtf do you have a standing freezer or something

My grandparents do this type of shit, you could stuff a whole deer in the freezer
>>
>>1049663

I'd leave.

I always say this, and I know it is mean. But how in fuck can anyone live in Canada?

Where I live only gets cold for 3 months a year and I can't fucking stand it.
>>
>>1049906

Uh no.

Paleo has SOME scientific basis that is greatly exaggerated and overblown.

Really the food pyramid had most things right, they just greatly exxageratted grains.

I'd say...

30% vegetable
25% meat
20% whole grains
15% fruit
10% dairy
>>
>>1054053
chest freezer + standard fridge
>>
>>1050976
lad
>>
>>1049150
Eggs, oatmeal, cans of lentil soup
>>
>>1055387
>canned soups
>cheaper or healthier than homemade

You can make 4-8 healthy meals with the money one of those shitty 1-2 servings cans would cost you, depending where you live.
>>
>>1055387
>lentil soup

breakfast, lunch, and dinner staple of champions
>>
>>1049150
Buy in bulk and on sale. Invest in a chest freezer.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.