[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Selling to competition?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1417178205091.jpg (65KB, 561x561px) Image search: [Google]
1417178205091.jpg
65KB, 561x561px
Hey /biz/, I need some advice.

Long story short - I have an online business and have been contacted by a larger competitor saying they might want to buy me out. I am speaking to their CEO on Thursday. The price would be 5, possibly 6 figures.

I have been thinking about how to price my assets and what factors to consider. Obviously there is the monthly profit and the SEO I've built over the years (assuming they want to take the domains as well as the user base and content).

However, as I'm sure you can tell, I'm an amateur at this, in fact this project I'm selling started out as a hobby, in the fantasy sports niche. I've also never sold anything of this size in my life. I am a programmer.

Can /biz/ give me any advice as to the following:

1) What factors outside my own profits should I consider when setting my price?
2) What should I research about the competitors and/or the market?
3) Anything else you think may be useful.
>>
File: 1432843122414.jpg (139KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1432843122414.jpg
139KB, 640x640px
Can someone please take a break from worrying about Bitcoin and help a brother out?
>>
try to milk him for as much money as possible. start high when making the deal. take money and funnel it into another website. you already know all your keywords and what seo worked for the website so just buy a shitload of content and out rank your original/competitors website.
>>
>>1049084
yearly revenue over the course of x years
learn to negotiate (poker is really good for this)
>>
>>1049093

Starting high is a given, what I'm after is figuring out what to settle for when he inevitably starts low.

Nah, I'm leaving fantasy sports after this, if the sale goes through. I'm tired of doing customer service for entitled teenagers.

>>1049096

What's X? What I've read ranges from 10 months to 5 years.
>>
>>1049097
>when he starts low

Make sure HE starts.

you've prob already seen this, nor would it be a giant help
http://www.inc.com/mike-handelsman/selling-your-business-whats-your-right-asking-price.html

i can't tell you what X is. i dont know your business. also, remember, you have taxes to pay when you sell the business.
>>
>>1049103
>Make sure HE starts

This I always try to do when I take freelance jobs etc.

I guess I'll prepare the best I can, shine a good light on my business and ask him what he thinks it's worth before proceeding with the negotiation.
>>
>>1049158
Plz post updates. And good luck!
>>
>HTML
>programming
pick one
>>
>>1049084
Do not, under any circumstances, sell a company for anything less than 6 figures.
I can't even fathom putting in so much work into starting a business only to sell it off for for such a measly price
>>
>>1049084

Been through this a couple times. Best I can say is play close to your vest. Never let them see your customer list until they've paid for it, once you set on the price get it in writing, only agree to a year or less non-compete, and get as much as you can.
>>
>>1049970

Are you illiterate? Who said anything about HTML?

>>1050021

Thanks bro. The customer list holds much more value than the site code itself, that's the last thing they'll after everything is signed and sealed.

>>1049924

Will do, thanks.
>>
Yeah I wonder about this too...

I used to work for a payroll company selling payroll services. I have a call list of about 500 companies. The list includes contact names, info, company size, notes on the company, revenues, etc..

I'd like to sell it, but specifically signed an NDA and noncompete. Will I get fucked if I try to anonymously sell this list to a competitor? How much could I get for it?
>>
>>1050127
>anonymously

You can send them the data anonymously, but there is no reliable way to get paid anonymously unless you plan to make a cash exchange.

Sounds like a risky proposition, this is certainly considered theft or even industrial espionage.

Abort mission unless you have a fool-proof plan.
>>
>>1050127
>>1050618

I gotta add - I've worked on a few large scale web development projects where I had access to data worth 6 or 7 figures. I've had some less than honest thoughts but it's virtually impossible to sell it to someone AND not get caught AND get paid well.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.