[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me why I shouldn't just put all my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1433569306997.jpg (114KB, 1070x898px) Image search: [Google]
1433569306997.jpg
114KB, 1070x898px
Can someone explain to me why I shouldn't just put all my money into a Vanguard ETF that has been performing exceedingly well for the last few years?

Is it literally that easy as to just buy as much of it as I can and wait?

Why exactly do daytraders and such exist when you can seemingly just buy one security and receive above average returns on it?
>>
The allure of potential 20+% returns. Most vanguard funds aren't sexy and are passive investments. Nothing wrong with that but it irks some idiots who think they won't blow up
>>
>>1048334
Some of the ones I've looked at literally boast 10%+ p/a since conception...

And considering this shit statistically beats nearly all actively managed funds that people keep saying, isn't that pretty much le secret trick?

Why do people even bother insetad of just dumping in their money into those kinds of ETFs and sitting back?
>>
>>1048418
Because people want to be rich NOW not in 20 years.
>>
>>1048452
But don't the majority of them make less than if they just put it into ETFs?
>>
>>1048458
Maybe. High risk high reward. Most people dream of becoming rich quick. Waiting 20 to 30 years is boring even if it's guaranteed riches.
>>
Most people who day trade lose money. In day trading for every dollar someone makes, another guys loses more (you get eaten by HF traders these days). If you're a smart guy you may be able to make more, but most likely you'll lose money and give up. Most people who day trade loss money and give up true, but the people who are successful keep day trading and get even better end even more successful, hence the epic stories you hear about how easy it is to quit your job and day trade.

But of course for people who invest long, usually everyone wins. You can keep your 8% average return, or roll the dice for higher or lower gains day trading. Or you can take a small amount and try your luck a day trading, make the success day trader a little bit richer, and never do it again.
>>
>>1048504
When the odds are stacked so heavily against you it makes no sense to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is my understanding:

Option 1:
Do nearly no research, dollar cost average into low cost ETFs

Results: Nearly no time/thinking involved, make ~8% p/a returns, beating majority of day traders

Option 2:
Try your hand at meme trading, most likely losing money if not making under minimum wage, AT BEST you spend years to get good enough to make *slightly*(still unlikely) better returns than le ETF guy.
(This ignores the opportunity cost and thinking involved which certainly has a very high value but would only put the pepetrader in a worse situation.)

Seems like a nobrainer desu.
>>
>>1048504
>Most people who day trade lose money.
Yeah but most people are stupid shits.
>>
>>1048309
you have to compare these returns to the appropriate index which all performed for 15+% recently thanks to quantitative easing. but sure just put all your money in a etf and dollar cost average every week.
>>
Hasn't John Bogle predicted that ETF's will only return 4%pa for the next 10 years? How legit is this claim?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.