[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think about the future of airline pilots?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: biggles-badges-pilot-copy.jpg (344KB, 900x642px) Image search: [Google]
biggles-badges-pilot-copy.jpg
344KB, 900x642px
It was once one of the most prestigious jobs. What do you think is the future of airline pilots in, say 30 years?
>>
>>1047802
Good pay, less effort
>>
>>1047802
I think the future is strong. There is a shortage of pilots across the industry due to mandatory retirement ages and the 1500-hour rule that the FAA instituted after the Colgan crash (assuming you're in the US).

The problem is how the industry is structured. You pay your $60k to go through the ranks privately (PPL->IR->CPL->Multi->CFI), do your CFI duties, then get hired for a shit-tier regional making $10/hr for five years. Then, you move to the world of mainlines and make the real money. As long as you're not a moron, you can be pretty much guaranteed six figures later in life, working maybe half the month, and travel benefits for you and your family (if you still want to travel). But it's 7-10 years of grueling existence to get on that gravy train. I don't see this changing in 30 years.
>>
>>1047802
>30 years
You think you can last that long?

Why do you keep making these threads?
>>
>>1047853
What threads?
>>
File: m3YdnRD.jpg (77KB, 500x415px) Image search: [Google]
m3YdnRD.jpg
77KB, 500x415px
>>1047826
i wonder what the suicide rates in the airline industry is like...

could all those mysterious plane disappearances actually be caused by a couple of robot tier pilots who just decided to end it?
>>
>>1047868
Valid question, but I bet across the board, the suicide/depression rates for pilots are probably average. Maybe slightly higher since they're away from home a lot. But then again, they often get qt flight attendants swaning on them.
>>
Automated.

Pilots are already useless. The plane pretty much flies itself at a certain altitude, the pilot is just there to kind of make sure everything is fine and always for take-off and landing.

>>1047868
Why can't those faggots just kill themselves silently instead of harming innocent people?
>>
>>1047915
As a plane enthusiast I know that some airlines can literally fly themselves 100%. but you have to program everything in and in case of emergencies you need someone, and if you have one person you need another.
>>
>>1047861
You keep using the same pic to post about pilot job questions
>>
>>1047868
No they are shitty at nav, they don't have the guts to ask atc for help routing, and they probably get into the weather and have no idea on how to handle it
>>
>>1048693
I only posted one thread before. Dont know the others.
>>
agree with this anon: >>1047915

their days are counted. truck drivers, taxi drivers, subway/tram/bus drivers and pilots will be amongst the first to go. the absolute first, and there is no doubt in my mind about this, to get kicked to the curb when automation starts displacing workers, will be call center workers.
>>
We will have machines doing all the piloting, OP.
>>
>>1047925
Which plane takes off automatically?
>>
>>1048894
ridiculous.

who's going to watch the instrumentation? Find out how many air returns airlines have, it's larger than you'd think.

What happens when a fuel gauge indicates a left tank draining faster than planned (from the pilot's planned calculations)? Well, someone better check to see if it's leaking visually, if it's a faulty gauge, or what it might be. What happens if a VOR along the route, or GPS/WAAS is down? What if all approach navs (ILS, VOR, GPS if equipped) are NOTAM'd? Who does the surveillance radar approach?

It's easy to be complacent about pilots' roles in air travel because of the minuscule number of incidents that result in crashing or death. However, the incidents that require pilot intervention are much larger than you'd think. And unlike a subway/tram/bus, you can't just pull over on the side of the sky.
>>
Ha!!!! Idiots... Automation Management (autopilot) requires massive amounts of knowledge and skill to operate correctly. Pressing a button is the last step of programming and compliance that takes years to appropriately master. Weather, ATC, maintenance, passenger issues, regulations, etc. makes for an extremely dynamic environment and must be handled in a timely manner for a safe and successful flight.
>>
>>1049131
>VOR along the route
this isn't 1980 anymore, grandpa
>>
>>1047802
they'll become more flight engineer than pilot
>>
>>1049762
That's why I also said GPS/WAAS (GPS is often NOTAM'd out across wide swaths of the country):

https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotWeb/noticesAction.do?queryType=ALLGPS&formatType=DOMESTIC

VORs are going to be around for a long, long time, thought the FAA is decommissioning many. Plus you still need to be able to demonstrate a VOR approach on your IR checkride.

Plus, Allegiant's MD-80s aren't even certified for GPS approaches - they're doing VOR approaches at fields like PGD.
>>
>>1047915

>mfw this guy thinks airplanes fly along perfectly 100% of the time without any failures
>>
>>1047802

I don't think about them at all iigbpfhwy family
>>
>>1049762

GPS is great but we always need to have a backup (in case of solar flares, or crazy Russians, or some other shit). VOR is not dead, and won't be dead for a long ass time.
>>
>>1047826
HAHAHAHA look at this airline shill

I personally have a CPL but I got out of the industry entirely coming to know how bs it is. ROI is fucking terrible. I decided to go back to school to study finance & marketing and now I'm in advertising making 70k. I wouldn't be able to make this much with piloting until I'm at least 35-40 if I stayed in aviation.

Fuck unions and fuck seniority bs.
>>
Ha! Don't take this shills advice. Probably not good enough to land a decent job or is to fat to fit in the seat.
>>
>>1050236
>I wouldn't be able to make this much with piloting until I'm at least 35-40 if I stayed in aviation.

That's true, but in aviation, you don't have morning meetings, reports, deadlines, or anything like that. By the end of your career, you're making probably 6 figures, working 15 days a month or less.

It's not for everyone. It's not even for me - I'm an entrepreneur. But it's tough to knock it as a career choice (minus the 10 years of BS I mentioned before).
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.