[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Investment banker here, AMA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

Tell me what it is. Picture is not me.
>>
Prove you're an investment banker
>>
EBITDA multiples dictate more than you think
>>
School?
Course?
Grades?
Company?
Tips?
Proof?
Salary?
Hours?
>>
Top 40 school
Finance and economics double major
Top 10 bank
Networking, networking, networking
You'll just need to take my word for it
85k + bonus, top bucket bonus at my bank last year was 50k for first year analysts
70-80
>>
>>1047083
do you enjoy your job?

what exactly do you do?
>>
Usually yes, sometimes not so much. Oddly enough, I haven't much minded those nights where I am there until 4 am or so but moreso mind the days where I am juggling a ton of things and don't feel like I have enough time to do them all

I'm in coverage so I do M&A, IPOs, and debt financing from the coverage side, not the product side
>>
>>1047086
explain further. I don't work in banking

what is coverage? I know a little about mergers and underwriting

I assume product involves bankers selling/pitching merger and underwriting services to companies
>>
>>1047070
What do you do besides work? Hobbies?
>>
>>1047070
how do you manage time? any tips to use your time to the maximum?
>>
>>1047086
Have you heard any rumblings about Bitcoin among your peers?
>>
>>1047070
What city? Do you enjoy your life and your job? Can you give any specific tips when it comes to networking?
>>
Invest in oil stock now, or later?

Invest in bitcoin?

Biotech stock?

Where's a good place to put money into if you want a good ROI and you are young?
>>
Coverage would be working in an industry group rather that a product group, so you specialize your focus on a certain type of industry, like technology or healthcare, rather than a product, like M&A or leveraged finance.
>>
I haven't been living in NY for much more than a year so I tend to explore in my free time. I also really like playing xbox so I spend some time with that. Huge soccer fan so I try to watch the matches when I can. Will likely join a saturday league in the future.
>>
Managing time: I generally get home from work between 10 and 11, have a glass or two of wine and play fifa with my roommate and go to bed a bit after midnight, not much free time to manage but I get enough out of it that I don't want to kill myself

Bitcoin: No, but I'm also not in the technology group and I tend to wear noise cancelling headphones for a lot of the day so there isn't much that I am physically able to hear
>>
NYC
Overall, yes, quite much so
Just be genuine, people can tell when you're bullshitting. Reach out to a lot of people, spread a wide net, the worst that can happen is that they say no. If you're scared to reach out to someone and see if they will chat with you about their job or the industry, don't be. People love to talk about themselves.
>>
what are your ways of "breaking the ice" and getting the partner to trust you?
>>
I don't think oil is done falling, seems like production can increase
I don't know enough about it, sorry
I'm not in healthcare so I don't get terribly intimate with biotech but from what I know it's not for the risk averse whatsoever. I always liked Mannkind but they haven't been doing so hot despite FDA approvals.
I wish there were a definite answer to that. I would just invest in mutual funds and let the compound effects of interest carry you.
>>
I don't know about "breaking the ice" for that but I can assure you that confidence goes a very long way
>>
>>1047070
Should I make a small loan of a million dollars?
>>
As a 23 y/o Qualified Maths Teacher, currently applying to MSc Finance courses:

How old is too old?
>>
>>1047120
Op click the number of the person youre replying to then it automatically picks the reply for you
>>
I work with a guy who came in as an associate in his early 30s

You've got many years ahead of you
>>
>>1047124
Much better, thank you, it's been awhile
>>
>>1047129
Youre very welcome
>>
Did you think it was easy or hard to communicate your value to people you know esp. employers? I would like to graduate and fit in somewhere. Also I am trying to not care about other peoples opinions as I grow up, but in my current job, lots of people people I meet ask me why I did it but in a bad way, I had an eye roll, it feels shitty. Did your family or friends give you good opinions on your career choice?
>>
what are the hardest problems/areas you need help solving?
>>
>>1047133
It's definitely hard to communicate that, I always felt like everyone competing against me was saying the same thing (i.e. hard worker, works well in teams, etc.)

I think that as long as you can say the things employers want to hear but also seem like you are someone that they would want to spend a lot of time with at work, that's the best you can do. A good personality goes a long way.

I mostly got my advice from friends that were a few years ahead of me who went through the same stuff. Parents are from a different generation in some regards, and mine especially have no fucking idea what finance is all about.
>>
>>1047134
That I specifically need solving? Hard to say, I think the hardest problem banks in general face is keeping people at the bottom so that they can promote them up. Smart kids come out of college and get jobs at banks and end up going a lot of seemingly menial work and don't get the value of it. I feel that way sometimes. People get burned out really early on and leave. I am certainly considering alternatives.
>>
how to help people who are in the lowest social rank? homeless people
>>
>>1047165

Can't help those who don't want to help themselves. I have a friend who use to do ministry work on the street to numerous homeless people. Talk to them about Jesus, gave them bibles, food, water, jackets, shoes, socks, etc. Information on all the homeless shelters in the area and organizations that can help them get off the street and get jobs. Most of that information, bibles & food ended up in the trash. Weekly he would find Jackets, shoes, and socks given to them left on park benches along with water bottles often filled with piss. All they really want is cash for drugs/alcohol/etc.

He told me it's to hard to save people these days and most don't appreciate. Those who're recently homeless and want to change are easy to help and they often know all the resources available to them and use them. Those who've been homeless for months/years don't want to change.
>>
>>1047199
thanks anon, NEET here and been staying up over 3 hours of my bed time searching information about business networking
>>
>Junior at Top 10 B-school
>most IB positions have been filled for the summer
>Got an offer for Corporate Banking at Wells Fargo for my summer internship
>Hear its somewhat easy to jump to IB for full-time recruiting
>3.8 GPA, good resume, okay at networking

What would you do OP? Take the offer and then jump to IB, or keep my fingers crossed for an IB offer?
>>
Are you Jewish?
>>
>>1047147
Thank you!
>>
Do you work with many people with a degree not directly related to finance, or even people with no degree at all?
>>
what's the best growth stock right now to buy into and sell within a month?
>>
Does it worth the money?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.