[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shouldn't community and public college be subsidized as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 001_intro.jpg (84KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
001_intro.jpg
84KB, 600x350px
Shouldn't community and public college be subsidized as long as the cash goes to improving teaching, research, and education instead of extra administration, fancier lounges, and bigger paychecks for the higher ups?

As time goes on and robots take over manual jobs people have to become smarter. Thus shouldn't the govt help out with this?

I know that if everyone gets a Bachelor's it devalues the degree, but don't you NEED more and better education as we, as a society, become more advanced?

Do I have the economics of this right /biz/?
>>
>>1047036
>but don't you NEED more and better education as we, as a society, become more advanced?

Yes that's called the internet.

You can torrent every single popular book and things like Khanacademy and MITcourseware exist which teach you high-quality University-level subjects 100% for free to anyone with an internet connection.
>>
How exactly do you plan on going about forcing university administrations to not use this infinite fountain of taxpayer money to enrich themselves at the expense of their alleged educational mission?
>>
>>1047041
To add to this, things like that should be funded more, absolutely. But actual institutions should remain for profit.
>>
File: 937.gif (3MB, 299x200px) Image search: [Google]
937.gif
3MB, 299x200px
>>1047036
>but don't you NEED more and better education as we, as a society, become more advanced?

Who says that the education HAS to come from a community college? Who says that robots won't take up jobs that require a degree?
What you're talking about here is a short term solution to a very, very long term problem. It's like putting a band-aid on a brain tumor.

None of this really matters, because there will never be enough post-college jobs for everyone or even the majority of people. Especially in a future where robots take up a good amount of jobs.
>>
Are you looking for a scholarly answer or the shit the three posters above have posted?

Government already subsidizes all of the education that is needed: primary and secondary. To be a productive member of society, you don't need a university degree.

University doesn't have a reason to be subsidized at the moment. And to stray away from an economic view for a second, all of the mind molding and behaviour management is done well already in children's growing stages (birth to 18). Until universities start straying too far from the farm en masse, there is no reason to throw money in that direction.
>>
>>1047056
There is no reason, period.

Basic education, the ability to *learn*, what some people call a """"""right"""""" to education is khanacademy-type stuff and torrenting books. With just that you can learn every single thing in the world.

Now College is something else. Its main purpose is not to learn, but to get a paper as proof of knowledge, network and have sex with men/women. - Which should cost money.
>>
This is a little /pol but just wondering what you guys think about Sanders suggesting free post secondary. Sounds like a great way to print money and keep young adults out of the workforce. It's also a gravy train for institutions and a fuck you to those that entered a trade because they didn't have the financing to go to school
>>
>>1047064
If this was any other medium I would call you a romanticizing, Dunning-Kruger man-child.

You're right to distrust universities, but you have not enough knowledge to synthesis the proper reasons.

University serves its purpose very well; Universities allow a certain type of young individual to join their older similars in a symbiotic relationship.
>>
>>1047072
I don't get it what did I say wrong?

Well liberals say the "Everyone should have a right to education" meme that is my response. That basic education exists. It's the internet.

Now Universities are a step up and provide other things for which you need to pay(rightfully).
>>
>>1047069
I wouldn't put too much weight on what any presidential nominee says.

Economically it's a poorly thought out plan and if he's adamant on going through with it, he won't win the electoral.
>>
>>1047077
I should hope so. Buying power doesn't come from thin air, even if money does. This devalues post secondary and devalues the currency. I'm sick of watching my buying power get destroyed by people that overleverage
>>
>>1047076
In order to achieve the truth one must cultivate a Machiavellian-like attitude.

Rights and partisan-loyalties are distractions. They're used only as illusions by those who know better.

There's not more to say, but it's never so simple.

>>1047082
I would urge anyone who can, to get on the winner's side. Life's less sporadic.
>>
>>1047085
so... mortgage myself to the hilt, speculate on housing in Canada and hope for the best? idk man that's a tough sell right now I think
>>
>>1047088
"Friends" are almost as good as money. If you pick them right, they appreciate in value and offer numerous goods and services.
>>
>>1047091
I guess so. Most people in Canada are liabilities with terrible negative net worth though...
>>
>>1047077
I would put even less weight on it, considering only two other reps in the whole Congress are batshit crazy enough to support his plan to pay for it.
I have to admire them, in a sense. Since no one will ever call their bluff on this shit, it's effective saber rattling.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.