[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language skills

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I can speak 6 languages almost perfectly but my math abilities are crap.
How much of a chance do I have to succeed in the business world, assuming I'm good looking?

Is language skill even useful anymore?
>>
>>1046347
That's bullshit.

Record a vocaroo of you reading 2-3 sentences fluently in all 6 languages right now.
>>
>>1046348
Lol I'm on my phone right now and I have no idea how to do this for you anon, but I'm fluent in French,English,German,Swiss-German,Portuguese and Japanese even if the last one is a bit harder.

Back to my question, is there some use to this shit?
>>
>>1046352
Yes. Translating, transcribing, etc.

I am highly skeptical of you being good at all in all of those languages though. If you were any good at them you wouldn't be asking such a silly question.
>>
File: 2016-01-17-10-15-31--267927403.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-17-10-15-31--267927403.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>pic related

Although it would be better if one of those languages was Russian or Arabic.
>>
>>1046356
I am asking because I'm a bit lost, I'm fluent in all those but I'm majoring in history right now... And it won't lead me anywhere, that's why I was wondering if I could do anything with the skills I already possess
>>
>>1046367

are you in the U.S?

maybe you could take the foreign service exam, foreign languages dont really help you pass but if you get the job theyll probably come in handy...
>>
>>1046367
>that's why I was wondering if I could do anything with the skills I already possess

When you get a chance please record yourself reading 2 sentences each in all 6 languages on Vocaroo.com . I would be very interested to hear how it sounds.
>>
>>1046347
damn i find it hard to believe humans genuinely have the brain capacity to be fluent in that many languages, especially ones as hard as wapanese. can you write in all of those languages too?
>>
>>1047460
My dad can speak 13 languages.

English
French
German
Italian
Spanish
Portuguese
Polish
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Turkish
Welsh

Once you learn two or three it gets easier.
>>
>>1047463
True. I'm Dutch. And for a Dutch person German and English are very easy.
If you also learn Spanish for example, then Italian, Portuguese and French also become easy.
If you were raised with a minority language in the Netherlands, like Frisian or Limburgish, or came from a migrant family and speak something like Turkish, then you can quickly get fluent in 6 languages.

I had five languages in school, but I'm only fluent in Dutch and English and speak conversational German. Although I understand everything Germans say I can't think of that many words myself (yet). It's more that I recognize their words as I can use Dutch as a reference.

I still find it quite an achievement if someone becomes fluent in 4 or more languages. Because that means you did actually spend a lot of time immersing yourself in the language.

And if you can learn a language you can also spend that time getting good at math, which is what OP should be doing.
>>
>>1047460
if you grow up with two languages, which is pretty common in Europe and I'm sure in some parts of the US too (e.g Spanish), then learn two mandatory languages in high school (for me it was English and French), you're already at 4 different ones. I personally later picked up Japanese because we're on a weeaboo board and I have to study another one in college next year.
>>
>>1047474
>if you grow up with two languages, which is pretty common in Europe and I'm sure in some parts of the US too (e.g Spanish), then learn two mandatory languages in high school (for me it was English and French), you're already at 4 different ones

Yes but you're no where near fluent in them, let alone able to speak at close to a native-speaker's level.

Yeah a lot of countries learn English in Asia and Europe... But their English is barely passable written, let alone their unintelligible accent and pronunciation which makes any Anglophone cringe.
>>
>>1046347
Como es eso tio. Tu no puedes dominar 6 idiomas.
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 350x235px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 350x235px
>>1046359
Hello friend
>>
File: image.jpg (106KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106KB, 640x448px
>>1047470
I'm the same way. Born in holland moved to Canada when I was 9 now speak Spanish German French Dutch and English.
>>
>>1046347

yea in government jobs
>>
>>1047497
you're fluent/native in those two languages you grew up with. As for the other two, it really depends on how much effort you put into it. For me, 8 years was enough to reach a (near) native level in English with medium effort I would say. Also depends on the school system. In Asia for example the emphasis seems to be on just learning how to pass language tests, rather than learning how to speak or write
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.