[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Mint.com a good way to manage my finances? I've deci

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: MintTrends.png (108KB, 540x322px) Image search: [Google]
MintTrends.png
108KB, 540x322px
Is Mint.com a good way to manage my finances? I've decided to begin tracking my income/expenditures, and I'm looking at mint.com, or perhaps just using an excel template. Any opinions on these or other good methods of tracking personal finances?
>>
Mint is great. don't buy anything they sell you.
>>
i used it for a year
deleted my account because it didnt feel like my info was very secure
>>
I don't know, but I keep track of all my income and expenses in Google docs.

I made a list of everything when I had no money to make sure I wouldn't end up in the red. And I never stopped updating the list.
>>
>>1045986
I wouldnt. If you link to your bank the bank eaves liability if mint is hacked and they steal your login and empty your account
>>
>>1045986
Pen and paper OP.

It doesn't have all the fancy graphs and charts but it gets the job done.
>>
Consider YNAB
>>
>>1046630
Pretty sure this can't be true.

With that logic then pretty much any sort of theft is your fault and they won't refund your money, which is ridiculous.

Also isn't Mint owned by a bank?
>>
>>1045993
This.

>>1046608
>>1046650
>spending hours per month/week writing down EVERY SINGLE TRANSACTION
>manually entering that into Excel or a Google spreadsheet
My time is much too valuable to do that. Why would I spend hours doing it myself when I can have a website do it in a few seconds for free?

>>1046630
>>1046569
The only reasonable argument against it. Yes you wouldn't be liable for anything that happens but it would still be a major pain in the ass.

I've been using it for about 2 years OP. It's pretty handy and interesting to see spending over time, by category, etc.
>>
>>1046569
i forget if they use 128 or 256 bit double ended encryption. but its very secure.

Most banks are starting to use 3rd party access codes for it. making it quadruple protected.
>>
>>1046846

It literally takes 5 minutes to set up the exact same spread sheet in excel, except you don't have to worry about your data being sold
>>
>>1046886
I didn't mean it that way

I meant it in the way that all these financial services seem to sell your info to advertisers or whatever
all my expenditures go through one account anyway so there's nothing i really gained from using mint
>>
>>1046967
And then you need to go add a new entry every time you buy groceries, and get lunch, and get gas, and buy a video game, and make a payment on your car, and pay your cell phone bill, and get a granola bar at a gas station.

You can't seriously tell me your time is worth that little that you actually manually add in every transaction.
>>
>>1046975
that's totally variable based on how much you buy
>>
i like it
>>
>>1046975
Google docs is on my phone. And I can check all bank transactions on my phone. It's really no big deal.
>>
YNAB will change your life. It takes a little while to get used too, but once you do you'll understand your money better than ever before. https://www.youneedabudget.com
>>
>>1045986

It's a data mining site.

Just use Excel.

It's not that damn hard to type in a formula
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.