[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting into finance/investment banking/trading etc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

I'm halfway through the final year of my economics degree at a shit tier university and on track for a run of the mill 2.1 (3.4-8gpa i think), I'm hoping to complete the GMAT when I am done too and with a current, no training, mock score of 600 I hope to push that up to 650+ and if i still find no luck on entering the industry I will look to do a masters in finance at a top business school.

But sadly that is all I have to offer and I am aware that I find myself at the bottom of the pile but I don't want to be deterred just yet since I am happy to take any low level position available in the whole of London and I want to give it my best shot

>Where should I look for things associated with 'talking the talk' selling myself, learning the language and generally sounding like I know what I am talking about?

>Where should I look for information on learning how to trade, forecast etc (that isnt a con, pyramid scheme or straight up bullshit)?

I apologise if this thread has been done to death in the past
>>
Netwerk.

But yeah I can't really help unfortunately, went straight from high school into consulting with T1 banks on their trading and financial infrastructures. My experience wasn't really run of the mill.
>>
>>1044942

>GMAT

Do you plan on immediately going to grad school? I did so to get my MBA since I graduated from undergrad in 2009 so the job market, especially finance, was shitty.

The good thing about going to grad school is that the internships there are so much better than undergrad. Basically all my undergrad internships were unpaid busy work. In the MBA program, I did corporate finance work at Lockheed Martin for $20 an hour. Of course, the downside is a lot of grad programs don't accept people without work experience. But grad school is a great place to network.

As for the GMAT, it's literally SAT 2.0 and was stupid. There are a lot of schools that don't really care for score and rely more on GPA and recommendations. I went to grad school at the same school for undergrad and had recommendations from several tenured professors in the school of business making it easy to get accepted into the MBA program.

>masters in finance

Eh, I don't really recommend that. If you want to get into investments, just study to get your CFA, it will be helpful.

>Where should I look for things associated with 'talking the talk' selling myself, learning the language and generally sounding like I know what I am talking about?

Network, network, network. Join organizations like the CFA. Are you a minority? If so, they have National Society of Hispanic MBA's and Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting. Through them, I got multiple interviews with Goldman Sachs, Target, Disney, BoA, etc. Even if you aren't a minority, you can still go to their job fairs. I went one year to one with my white friend and he ended up with a corporate finance offer from Chick-fil-a.
>>
>>1045240
Thanks for the advice and info.

Not a minority, just a poor white kid from the suburbs in London, the one thing I do have is a nice story of how I used to be a labourer and set up trading desks in almost all the top banks, Credit Suisse, JP Morgan, Citi Group etc that someone might hopefully sympathise with. Was kind of fun being in some of the most secure data centres in the world with the potential to cause a catastrophe as an 18 year old

I haven't done an internship (probably a poor decision on my part) as I started Uni late and didn't want to fall even further back. My plan is to finish this year off and secure whatever position I can in the summer and see where it takes me but all my income will go towards a masters the following year if I am unhappy with where I am

>just study to get your CFA
I have thought about it and its something I would definitely consider as its a hell of a lot cheaper and quicker than a masters, just worried it might be getting ahead of myself.
>>
Do your Cfa and apply to top masters in finance programs. Save your mba for later in your career. MSF programs are only a year long and don't require any work experience and can land you a FO gig if you network your ass off. Google whichever program is right for you. They're generally based off location so if you want to work in tech banking, west coast schools would be a better fit than east coast schools, etc. try to get an unpaid internship at a bank even if it means cleaning toilet stalls in between phone calls. It's not going to be easy. Good luck
>>
>>1045270
As for sales, read books like 7 habits of highly effective people, zigglers guide to sales etc. it's really more of a practiced skill than a read one.

To learn more about markets, watching everything on tasty trade is a good start. Taking your Cfa is a good thing too since it will really enhance your understanding of basic accounting and statistics and structured products. It's not a ticket into a FO gig, but it will prepare you much better for technical questions.
>>
>>1045270
>>1045277
Thank you
>>
File: 1451347441165.jpg (15KB, 327x324px) Image search: [Google]
1451347441165.jpg
15KB, 327x324px
>>1044942
>economics degree at university
>trading

you do an iq test, show your track record and answer correctly 100 finance world related questions showing it's your passion and love, that's how you get in goldman trading floor
>>
>>1045281
Oh. And one more thing. Never accept BO positions. Do Corp finance if you have too before doing the msf, but don't ever do BO work.

Also, a more on the job technical skill set should be taught to you on the job, so preparing for that is meaningless as each firm has their own way of doing things. Try to be more prepared for the interview and try to convince them why you're the star candidate instead of Joe shmo from Harvard. Ace the technicals and really drive home that you're the person they should hire.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.