[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people network so aggressively? How do I get noticed when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Why do people network so aggressively? How do I get noticed when I couldn't care less about recruiters that don't care about me?

My classmates crawl over each other just to get face time with recruiters for a chance at a 50k salary job.I have no motivation to compete with them. I don't want to look vulnerable for a shitty job.

I have much better offers from other industries but I can't really bring that up during networking. If you're wondering why I don't just take my better offers, it's because I don't want to work in finance anymore
>>
If you don't want a job with high competition or that requires extreme marketability, you've basically limited yourself to STEM degrees.

Hope you like math.
>>
>>1044310
I'm extremely competitive, I'm in the top 10% of my class at a top 20 school that is heavily recruited. Our career services know me by name and often refer me to recruiters when they ask who they should look for. I get invited to our school's networking trips all across the country (canada).

As long as I don't have to stroke my dick in front of others, get me one on one with recruiters and I shine.

I don't want to work for a company that values someone based on how well they can bend over. I want to work for a company that looks at qualifications, accomplishments, and personality. People put on an act during recruitment and it's all bullshit, I know it, recruiters know it. Let's go get drinks in a casual environment and we'll see how we get along.

Then again, I have always considered myself the "arts kid" of the business students. Never really fit in with them. All talk, no substance.
>>
I recognize how cocky I might sound, but I'm just not a fan of this recruitment process. I like developing a network through natural processes instead of attending these "networking events". It's literally just a dick waving contest.
>>
Find a small company that does what you want to do and pursue a career with them. I got so sick of going through the gauntlet of like 8 interviews for some mediocre analyst job in college. I found a small consulting firm (6 employees when I started), got them to give me an internship, and six years later I'm still here and going to become an owner very soon.

Also, don't be such a conceited prick.
>>
>>1044362
That's what I'm probably going to do

And I'm not conceited, in fact I feel overwhelmingly average when I compare myself to my room mates still on the finance route. I'm just disappointed that people that interrupt others are more likely to get a job than someone that is respectful enough not to throw their own brothers under a bus just to get ahead.

I know for certain that I wouldn't be able to work at a firm with that kind of culture.
>>
>>1044348
Yes, thats what you signed up for kid, get used to it. You are probably young enough to change course. Figure out what you really want to spend your time doing, THEN find a way to monetize it.
>>
>>1044867
>signed up
>implying we even had a choice in the first place
>>
>>1044870
I didn't have to go through that shit.

If you do something that people/businesses actually need, you don't need to network.
>>
>>1044348

You do sound cocky, but that is understandable.

That being said, it's not what you know it's who you know. That has always been true and still is. Don't expect your admirers to know all about your fantastic contributions and then reward you accordingly for them. At times you do need to get in peoples' faces and remind them why you have a reason to exist and to get that next job or a salary increase.
>>
>>1044867
i'm basically about to graduate, hopefully get my cpa and then buy in / start a firm
>>
>>1044348
>I like developing a network through natural processes

So does everyone else. Being marketable/competitive means exactly the opposite. If you want to minimise your dicks sucked tally then you best have other points in experience.
>>
>>1045778

>here lies Anon. He was... an accountant.
>>
I didnt bend over and back, got a nice internship going on,
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.