[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Inflation hedge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: photo (16).jpg (358KB, 1280x1008px) Image search: [Google]
photo (16).jpg
358KB, 1280x1008px
Tangible assets
>>
File: photo (17).jpg (476KB, 1280x1140px) Image search: [Google]
photo (17).jpg
476KB, 1280x1140px
>>
collecting game gear cartridges will not protect you in the event of a market collapse

all the roaming bands of cannibals will target defenseless neckbeards first and you will have no one to trade with
>>
>>1042562

By definition the neckbeards arent the defenseless ones. Its the white suburban families that need to worry. Especially if they are within 20 miles of a major city
>>
>>1042545
>hedging for inflation in a near-deflationary global climate

Lmao fucking never change /biz/
>>
File: photo (4).jpg (290KB, 870x918px) Image search: [Google]
photo (4).jpg
290KB, 870x918px
Lead is the new GOLD
>>
Legit question /biz/

What makes gold and silver such a safe investment? Its just a metal, why do so many people see value and it? Is the market for gold not susceptible to bubbles and crashes as well?
>>
>>1042599

You lefty or is that badger latch ambi and I cant see the right side? :)

Cant decide between a Badger or a Gunslinger
>>
>>1042562

Gold and silver only protect in a low threat financial crisis.

In a full blown collapse, anything other than bottled water and ammo is worthless and non essential
>>
>>1042605

Tangible assets do have a place. However on /biz/ and in social circles it is more acceptable to say you own 10 ounces of gold (which has value, dont get me wrong. Even in the worst of times people will sell their kids into slavery for it) than it is to say you have 400,000 rounds of 7.62x51 ammo from Lake City saved up.

The big difference is, if you buy into say a stock at the height of a bubble, it pops, and your chosen company goes bankrupt, your money is gone. If you buy into gold in a bubble, lets say at its absolute height in 2012 at 1,900 an ounce,the bubble pops, and today, you still have roughly 1300 an ounce...

Gold will never be worthless. However like I said, a lot of things will never be worthless, and are useful. Like ammunition, guns, etc

In fact, since this is biz, form an LLC, get an FFL, and buy as many 30rd magazines from someone like Magpul as you can, wait for a scare, and dump them. It is not uncommon for a magazine, or an AR15 lower to jump 200-400% in days after something like SandyHook. I sold 6 rifles in the wake of Sandy Hook that I had bought months earlier for a few hundred dollars. One, that I spent 1,600 on (an LMT with a 10.5" registered barrel) sold on gunbroker for just under 5k
>>
>>1042605

Well, not as much as silver, but gold has been the measure of wealth for countires since civilization. Also, the new sources relatice to supply is also low, so whatever you hold won't be devaled so easily. Paper currencies have a predictable trend to lose their value to money printing.

So, why is it not as popular? Well, the us dollar has had fairly low and predictable inflation and is used everywhere. There is also the question of return on investment. Stocks and other investments will still beat the return on gold since thry are wealth generators instead of wealth preservers.

So if you want gold and a lesser extent silver, treat it as an alternative to bonds.
>>
>>1042605

Silver is cheap and essential in electronics.

Gold is basically money.

Both will probably drop another 20% given the way things are going.
>>
>>1042612

In a full blown collapse you'd simply need all the things you have now.

The economy alone couldn't cause a 'full blown collapse'. Doomers should get over themselves.
>>
>>1042625

Collapse has always taken to mean the country's government has stopped functioning relative to normal.

You dont need a battery for your Iphone, or a TV, when your local power plant has been taken over by a militia. Your TV is worthless if it is only broadcasting a picture of the flag and the national anthem. Your car is worthless when every gas station in 100 miles is empty because the interstates have become kill boxes

Look at Ukraine. Life changes very quickly for far more than half the population during "unrest"
>>
>>1042545
Cocaine
>>
>>1042630
>the country's government has stopped functioning relative to normal.

the thing is, Americans have a hollywood view of the world. They think it's going to go mad max.

I live in england and the government is highly unlikely to ever lose control. Even during a world war situation it was just rationing and the occasional bomb. Countryside mainly remained untouched.

A collapse for us, means economic collapse, as in no jobs, no money, inflation high prices, food rationing etc.

Even if the government was to all disappear tomorrow, in england there would very quickly arise ad hoc local administration. We could run this place without the government.

In the whole of london there is less than 15,000 policemen on duty out of a 10 million population. We're governed because we allow it to happen by consent.

Mad max situation is inapplicable to england.

If i expected some apocalypse to happen i would be stacking teabags, coffee and tobacco. These are the things that will be rationed first. addictive imported goods.
>>
>>1042722

Lel brit cucks. I still think it's funny how you went from the greatest empire in the world to an irrelevant island full of Muslims where guns are illegal. You had better run along get your TV license fuccboi.
>>
>>1042599
I never get preppers.

If SHTF and we're in a WROL and armed bandits are roaming, me with a carbine isn't going to do much. I can shoot one or two guys but if they're any good they have my house flanked and down I go. Being alone is a death sentence in that kind of world.

Sorry to go all /k/
>>
Toilet paper and toothpaste reporting in.
>>
>>1042722

FYI, the whole of the UK could fit inside the state of California twice. California itself has 3 times the population of the UK. In the UK there are 129k police officers. In California, there are 76k police officers. In the UK there are a total of roughly 2 million firearms. In California, there are 10.7million firearms.

And then you realize, other things, like if the UK were a US state, it would be the second poorest, behind only Mississippi. The UK would be the 22nd smallest state the US has, and would consume 3 times the government benefits of any state in the union.

As for the Hollywood view of things. We also have Waco, Ruby Ridge, and Oklahoma City. Things angry, very well armed citizens are still having nightmares over 2 decades later. It is why we have hundreds of armed militia, at this very second, occupying Federal land.
>>
>>1042872

There are 2 ways. Build a group, or go mountain man and make sure you ever see another human.

Im an /opchan/ soul that got a career. Staying put is a death sentence, unless you are 400 miles from the nearest owl, or unless you have 20+ people with you.

1 is going to require a lot of balls and bullets. The other will require brains and gold.
>>
>>1042888
Top kek. UK has the world's 5th GDP, and 49 U.S states would be ahead, somehow sharing 4 positions? Do you even math bro? Carry ahead jizzing on your guns, and let economics to grown-ups.
>>
File: 10228 Haunted House.jpg (380KB, 1500x1235px) Image search: [Google]
10228 Haunted House.jpg
380KB, 1500x1235px
>>
>>1042625
A full blown collapse need something external like climate change or plague to happen.
>>
>>1042888

>California itself has 3 times the population of the UK

Population of California - 38.8 million
Population of the UK - 64.1 million

>if the UK were a US state, it would be the second poorest, behind only Mississippi

GDP of California (highest in the US) - 2.42 trillion
GDP of the UK - 2.68 trillion

Don't know where you're getting your statistics, but they're all over the shop. It is true that the UK's GDP per capita is only about 85% of that of the US, but then pre-crash it was a couple of percent higher than that of the US. These things fluctuate depending on the relative strength of the pound against the dollar.
>>
Don't listen to the naysayers. Gold has endured for thousands of years happenings of all magnitudes. The only time it will fail is when shit hits the fan on a huge level, e.g. Worldwide nuclear holocaust, asteroid hitting earth, alien invasion etc.

There's no real way you can hedge against that, unless you invest in a sustainable underground bunker
>>
>>1042978

First, the UK is not the worlds 4th largest economy, not by a long shot... unless you group all of Europe into a single "country" and label it the EU

Second, no math mistake. Though I was wrong. It would be the third poorest, not second. Alabama is a little poorer as well

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/08/26/if-the-uk-was-a-u-s-state-it-would-be-the-second-poorest-behind-alabama-and-before-mississippi/
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.