[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WHAT MAJOR TO CHOOSE?!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: TPB1.jpg (18KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
TPB1.jpg
18KB, 320x240px
Hey guys just wondering what major you think is the best in terms of employability, salary and boringness. Im having a hard time choosing between :
Finance (Only truly find stock market and shit like this intersting)
Accounting (Father is a fisc. has his own firm w/e... easy job to get I guess?)
MIS (Everyone says it's the future, that it's gonna bloom)
Keep in my, I'm in my 2nd semester, and got good grades in those 3 introduction classes.

Please help me, I'm just some retarded larva that can't make his own decisions >:D
>>
>>1042420
Your a bitch
>>
>>1042472
Anon you ignorant slut.

It's "you're"
>>
Economics
>>
Depends on how good of grades you think youll get and how much school you want.

Accounting will get youa decent job even if you have bad grades.

Finance has a low floor, but high ceiling. Also it often requires an MS or PhD, plus you will most often work shit ours (with potentially great pay.)

Dont know how MIS is different from CS, sounds like it could be a shitty version of CS.

Also if you dont want to work a ton consider doing education. Average teacher salary is like 60k, you get summers off, dont pay social security tax, and can retire making 60k+ a year in pension once you retire (at like 56.)

With hindsight I wish I did education b/c all my stoner friends from high school are now teachers working 50% the hours and getting 80% of the pay.
>>
>>1042420
Keep in mind op if you decide to go the >>1042510 route that college is super inflated and shitting out literally thousands of 100% unemployable graduates who are just gonna go back and be TAs for their terrible liberal arts studies.

unis aren't even offering tenure anymore for most of their positions so unless you're a PHD STEM graduate or top of your field you will probably lose your job before you get any manner of pension eligibility

If you like finance but still wanna consider your options, do mathematics
>>
>>1042510

I'm going into MIS this year.

I wouldn't say it's a 'shitty CS' but it's more of a lightweight CS, in that it still includes some programming and computing, but is otherwise more about looking at computer systems from an organisational perspective. In the degree I'm going into the subjects are split between the school of engineering, where we some of the courses CS students do, and the school of business, where we do some of the finance and management subjects the business kids do, so it's kind of halfway between the two. I'm happy with it, but for someone that is solely concentrated on the technical side of CS I can see why it wouldn't be idea.

>>1042420

My advice is to try to network for internships and part-time jobs while you're studying as soon as you can. No matter what major you end up going with, having experience doing something will be a big boost in the future. It also gives you something to fall back on if you decide to change your studies further down the line.
>>
>>1042965

*ideal

Fugg
>>
Literally just pick Accounting or Finance, whatever you like more, I did Accounting with tons of electives in the Finance field. Also learn programming and put that on your resume, CS degrees are mostly useless, it's all about your portfolio.
>>
>>1042977

What are you doing now?
>>
>>1042985
Running my own business

All my friends who did accounting and finance ended up getting decent jobs though, there were a few kuks who couldn't get a decent career but they also weren't motivated and some people I know went into shit like management and tourism.
>>
>>1042965
I am about to graduate in the Spring with a degree in MIS. I don't have a job yet but I had an internship in Germany last summer and I am going to get an SAP certification later on this year. I am either going to find some Business Analytics position or specialize in SAP.
>>
>>1043036

How did you find the degree itself though?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.