[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me how commodities and futures/ options

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Can someone explain to me how commodities and futures/ options on commodities actually works? What happens if I hold a contract to maturity? Do I get a phone call asking when I'm going to pick up my 2000 barrels of oil and 3 tons of corn?

Who actually ends up with the commodities and how?
>>
>>1038799
Pretty much. I held my contract for 500,000 dragon d****** to maturity and now my whole house is decorated with the stuff. Luckily I live in SF so its the most progressive house on the block ;)
>>
>>1038799
>Do I get a phone call asking when I'm going to pick up my 2000 barrels of oil and 3 tons of corn?

No. Your brokerage will qualify you and make you post "margin" at vastly higher amounts until you say fuck it and get out of your position.
To take delivery (or make it) you have to sign agreements and prove you have the capacity to take or make delivery at approved points.

Other than that do research via Google on "commodity markets" and you will learn what you need to learn, Grasshopper.
>>
>>1038816
So what happens to the commodities with all these home traders when they get into a bad position that nobody wants to buy? They forfeit their margin to the person selling the physical commodity, and that entity is free to resell it?
>>
Here's the serious answer: commodities futures are cash settled except on OTC markets. You would get paid in cash the difference between the spot and futures price. Individual investors can't buy physically settled commodities.
>>
>>1038799
It's gambling anon. You're just playing with the prices. None of the 'real commodities' exists.
>>
>>1038822
most retail brokerages won't let you get to expiry holding open positions

on the off chance you do then you're going to have to pay some fees either buying or selling on the underlying physical commodity - you don't have to take delivery of anything in reality - it can simply be a case of ownership of some commodity stored in an exchange approved warehouse being transfered
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.