[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Minimalism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 19

File: Minimalism.jpg (80KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
Minimalism.jpg
80KB, 520x520px
Be me, 21. Minimalist.
I'd like to be a millionaire by 30. Read up on people who've done it before, and it actually sounds plausible.
>Maximize income by getting second job, dividends, etc.
>Pay down bad debt
>Be minimalist af and live near work, bike instead of drive, don't eat out, cook at home, do free stuff.
>Save to invest 70-80% of income
>Millionaire in less than 10 years.
What's wrong here, why would this not be doable? What am I forgetting?
>>
To enjoy life before you die
>>
>Maximize income by getting second job
Burnout.

>live near work
Might be higher rent than what you could be paying.

>Save to invest 70-80% of income
If it doesn't affect your emotional and mental health then why not?

>Millionaire in less than 10 years.
How much money would you have to save every year to become a millionaire by then, 90k?

Something you should take into account is the global depression coming our way, shit is going to hit the fan and you might not be able to get or hold onto a secure and well paying job.
>>
>>1038465
You're not really missing anything, it's just that you'll be uncomfortable and tired for the next 9 years. A lot of people don't want to spend that long of a time living so minimally for a simple million or so since it's not actually that much money when it comes right down to it.
>>
>What am I forgetting?

To crunch some actual numbers.
>>
>>1038465
Assuming your dividends over 10 years SOMEHOW pay for your cost of living and any debts, you're forgetting that you'd still need to make 112k after taxes starting right now.

All the praise worthy "early retirement" or "genius investment" ideas neglect to reinforce the fact that the person always, always, always makes six figures. Normally well into them.
>>
That you usually work to live and not the other way around
>>
>>>/min/
>>
>>1038465 build a yurt or an earthbag house somewhere live for free stock up food be unattached and independent from money! Then make money! I did it in Alaska ;)
>>
>>1038465
Getting a second job is short sighted. If I were you I would focus on advancement. Also, you need to keep a sustainable lifestyle for long term wealth.
>>
>>1038513
That and they became FI in years where the returns have been 20-30%.
>>
>>1038465

>>Pay down bad debt

If you're starting this process with any kind of debt, you can stop fantasizing right now. It has a 0% chance of success.

>>Be minimalist af and live near work, bike instead of drive, don't eat out, cook at home, do free stuff.

Sounds like a good way to become suicidal, but I'm with you for now anyway.

>>Save to invest 70-80% of income

After tax income. You're going to need a really good salary to live, even at poverty tier, on what amounts to 15% of your gross pay.

>>Millionaire in less than 10 years.

Assuming you can generate a 6% after tax return, you'll need to save $73000 per year to get $1m in 10 years. Assuming you have payroll and income taxes of 20% and need another 20% to live on, you need a job grossing $115k to even think about this working. And without owning a home, having a family, etc, your effective tax rate at that salary will be higher than 20%.

You'll need to realistically be making $150k+ while living in a trash can and eating dumpster food. All to amass the "fortune" of $1m.

Bad ROI and high opportunity cost.

Get rich slowly while living your life.
>>
>>1038465
That won't make you a millionaire. You're going to be 'that weird guy who doesn't have a car, house, never goes out and is always working. And I'm pretty sure he wore that shirt yesterday, the day before, and the day before that.'
>>
>>1038491
People like you are the reason the world is going to shit. Fucking modernist, consumerist degenerate "OH BOOHOO GOTTA ENJOY MESELF HEHJEHEHEHEH".

The world was built on the backs of frugal men, not degenerate consumerists.

And to OP: go for it.
>>
>>1038568
No wonder things are going to shit if people care this much about what others think of them.

When all other debtslave consumerists are living in horrible conditions and are poor as fuck when they get old OP is going to enjoy a safe and comfortable old age.
>>
minimalism and essentialism are very different things.

i get what you mean, but what is the point of making money if you're not going to consume?
>>
>>1038727
To be able to to smile smugly when all the debtslaves around you get fucked when they get old and have no savings?
>>
>>1038742

It seems like there is a balance to be struck though. I wouldn't want to be a miser, but I also wouldn't want to be a debtor.
>>
>>1038742
You're still old, life is over.This mindset comes from videogames where you learn to plan for longterm, but the "end game" of life is a crippled near-death state assuming you even live that long without some shitty cancer or accident. It's a shitty idea to plan only for long term when you have 1 life.
>>
>>1038556
>home care
>get a job as an asleep overnight

The pay is bad, but you are literally getting paid to keep a healthy sleep schedule and prepare medications in the morning. Do it part time, and you can still have a love life if that interests you.
>>
>>1038492
What a negative fuck you are.
>>
>no friends or hobbies during your twenties
>busting your ass with two jobs when the point of minimalism is not to bust your ass all day
>>
File: 300k starting.jpg (8KB, 252x221px) Image search: [Google]
300k starting.jpg
8KB, 252x221px
>>1038465
>>Maximize income by getting second job, dividends, etc.
Probably

>>Pay down bad debt
Ideally you don't have any

>>Be minimalist af and live near work, bike instead of drive, don't eat out, cook at home, do free stuff.
Only if that can keep you motivated

>>Save to invest 70-80% of income
See your point 1. Saving isn't that great. Inflation cuts into savings. You'll need to invest it

>>Millionaire in less than 10 years.
Really depends on how much you make, but make sure you're ok with spending the best 10 years of your life on a frugal lifestyle of working instead of making friends/dating/investinginlife/etc

I'm probably a millionaire and I'm going to be hitting 29 later this month.
In some ways it's good but others bad.
>>
>>1038465
I wouldn't work multiple jobs if I were you, but otherwise seems reasonable.

The nice thing about a minimalist and frugal lifestyle is once you get used to it little luxuries make you a lot happier than extravagant luxuries would make a decadent person.

The greatest problem will come from your social life (if you have one) though. Women generally do not get frugality and neither do most modern men, so it's hard to have fun with other people whose idea of having fun is consuming and spending.
>>
>>1038779
>probably a millionaire
either you are or you aren't.
>>
File: 1219-0-cry.jpg (27KB, 460x282px) Image search: [Google]
1219-0-cry.jpg
27KB, 460x282px
>>1038566
why are you fucking him with reality, he needs to dream before he starts sucking that cock.

>(like we all did)
>>
>>1038492
Tell me more about this global depression
>>
>>1038494
A million at a 5 - 6% return is $50,000 - $60,000 a year before tax.

>since it's not actually that much money when it comes right down to it.
Its not bad considering it can give you a middle-class income for the rest of your life while you do whatever you feel like doing.
>>
>>1038465

The problem is that you won't be earning nearly enough and you're about to enter one of the most deeply entrenched down markets in market history so your investments will make you poorer.

Eat shit and get to work pleb. You're gonna be shovelling shit til 65 like the rest of us.
>>
>>1038465
500k is more than sufficient by 30 as long as you don't touch it until 50.

Focus on obtaining skills that are useful like sales or tech/eng (working for equity in a company).

Start with a service and eventually commoditize it.

Grow a product based business on the side and scale as hard as you can. Be sure to maximize the lifetime value of a customer.
>>
>>1038716
>>1038721
>>1038742
Dude, as a fellow /frugal/ person, I don't understand your attitude.
Your income is a result of somebody else's expenditure. I say let the consumers keep buying, it increases corporate profits and the interest they pay helps me too. I WANT consumerism to continue for many years yet, but the only part I want to play in it is profiting.
>>
>>1038721
>>1038716
/pol/ is out of her cave again.
>>
>>1038465
Nothing wrong with it

Google "early retirement extreme"
>>
>>1038792
>either you are or you aren't.
I'm not a millionaire in that I don't have $1m laying around.

If I own a company that makes over a million a year, then aren't I a millionaire?

Any chosen year I could say fuck it I'm selling it or fuck it I'm pocketing all the money and not giving a fuck anymore and I'll would have more than $1M in cash.

But I wouldn't thus it's "probably".

By net worth I'm well over a million.
>>
File: dogeman.jpg (95KB, 1080x1676px) Image search: [Google]
dogeman.jpg
95KB, 1080x1676px
>>1038465
not only you are going to fail but you will waste 10 years (best time of your life to do stuff) playing the minimalistic moron

you dont live forever. if buying something makes you happier then get it
>>
File: 1232.jpg (16KB, 308x346px) Image search: [Google]
1232.jpg
16KB, 308x346px
secondly, nobody have become a millionaire by saving. to get rich you need to increase your earning, not lower your everyday spending. much easier to earn big than make small savings big
>>
>>1038792
Who measures their net worth accurately? I could tell you with a margin of error of like 5%. At a million, 5% is 50,000, so it could be hard to tell...

With inflation, being a millionaire won't mean so much anyway
>>
There's a difference between being frugal, minimal, modest, and consumerist. I don't see nothing wrong with your plan OP. Just because somebody else doesn't find it practical doesn't mean that it isn't for you. We are in an age where everybody is so sensitive and think all of their opinions are what everybody else should have. America's society is becoming more and more communist and we have 100 million little Hitlers running around. Luckily so far they have only shot up schools. Before you know it, it will just become a normal thing. The media will no longer care because it's not a hot story anymore. Crime will increase. There will be more and more whores. Marriage and religion will become deprecated. The only people that will be having families are the poor degenerates that were never taught what a condom is. All of the competent people will move to other countries and USA will become Ancient Rome 2.0.
>>
>>1038716
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2016/01/man_dies_after_tree_falls_atop.html
>>
File: 1452466341600.png (319KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1452466341600.png
319KB, 680x680px
>>1038465
a true minimalist doesn't care about tons of money either
>>
>>1038465
assuming you make the >$100k/yr required to save enough for $1 million in 10 years, you're missing the part where you live like a fucking peasant for 10 years. you're 21 years old. recall the last 10 years of your life -- literally half of your life. now imagine working your fucking ass off at a job that pays $100k/yr, then imagine doing so while living in borderline poverty so you can "retire" on $1 million a year, which is really just retiring into borderline poverty, at best a continuation of those 10 years of suffering you endured to save up the $1 million.
>>
>>1038721
Well I am like OP in that I save about 80% of my income but I guess unlike him it doesn't mean I need to give up a car, dining out and paid-for entertainment. Frankly I don't understand HOW people spend more than me because I don't even feel like I do without a lot of shit, yet I have more money than everyone I know sitting in the bank or in Vanguard
>>
>>1038465

This is what I already do/am planning to do. I just thought it was normal. I'm at the point where I prefer my own cooking to restaurants'. I just think, 15$ a meal? For low/midtier shit? I could do it better in less time for a fifth of that price. With the internet I can get any media I want for free, and my hobbies are also free or nearly free. Although I have both a car and a bike. I don't know what normies spend money on. There's nothing more I want.

>second job

Bad idea. The point of life is to enjoy it, not to work like a slave.

>>1038513
>the person always, always, always makes six figures.

Mr. Money Mustache didn't make that.
>>
>>1038908
Probably because they make substantially less money than you do.

The problem these days is that even the people on minimum wage want to dine in fancy restaurants, own nice cars, the latest iThing, etc...

I live in London and earn an average wage. I find it very challenging to save even 50-60% of my income let alone 80%.
>>
>>1038896
This.
>>
>>1038779
can't tell if troll or asperger idiot u surf a fine line my friend
>>
>>1038491

N-n-n-n-n-n-n-nailed it!
>>
File: 69f.jpg (41KB, 600x744px) Image search: [Google]
69f.jpg
41KB, 600x744px
OP here, I'm actually really surprised and pleased with the discussion this churned out.
While I do admit, the numbers don't really add up without a salary of 150K+, and $1M in nine years is a little more than optimistic, I'm happy to see that others think this makes sense as well. Even if I end up with just half of that in assets, that's still a great deal better than if I sat on my ass and did jack-all.
Second job seems unpopular.
Fuck you, just because I'd live minimally doesn't mean I'm denying myself recreational time with friends, family, etc.
And,>>1038896, minimalism's definition varies, but it is generally about having less clutter and useless things in your life, I'd say having a pretty good fucking head start on retirement is a-okay.
>>
>>1039003
Your mom is fine, but not in the line sort of way.
>>
>>1038855
Your autism is showing. If your business pulls a million in revenue, but that does not mean your 1040 will be showing that. Any business owner who pulls a million revenue would know that.
>>
>>1039040
I beg to differ, My Mother looks like an obese troll
>>
>>1038896
/thread
>>
>>1038950
Rent, utilities, car, food, fun etc add up to less than $3k per month... $36k per year but I'll round that down to $30k as I'm grossly overestimating... so if you're an 'average' worker earning around $50k-$60k per year, saving 50% is easy. With a 2nd job, OP can bump that up to $80k per year and be saving 65% and if OP didn't spend $1500 per month on rent for a family home like me, he'd be at 80% saving
In 10 years, OP would have over $500k easy. I've only been saving for around 6 years and have $300k but I spend about $15k per year on plane tickets, rent homes in 2 different countries and thus also need to buy cars & furniture in different countries yadda yadda
I can see what OP is trying to achieve but I guess my feedback is don't get too fucking retarded saving every penny... so long as you save $5k-$10k per month you're doing aight
>>
>>1039115
>'average' worker earning around $50k-$60k per year

where do you get those numbers? If I Google average worker's salary it says 35k
>>
>>1039120
I guess I exclude full-time wendy's chefs from my stats
>>
>>1038494
>a simple million

The vast majority of plebs will never see anything above 300k liquid USD in their lifetime
>>
>>1038779
im starting at 34, Im fcked
>>
>>1038815
When we reach 65 all public retirement systems will have completely collapsed in all western countries. Better have some children and better be nice to them because you will need them.
>>
>>1038924
>I don't know what normies spend money on.
Having a life. Having friends. Going out.
>>
>>1038513
>Assuming your dividends over 10 years SOMEHOW pay for your cost of living and any debts
Dividends is a meme bro. If the company is paying out dividends, the stock loses value. It's the same thing as slowly taking out money from your stocks.
>>
File: index.jpg (10KB, 226x223px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
10KB, 226x223px
>>1038546
Care to elaborate? So basically you had no running water, internet and electricity? In Alaska?!
>>
>>1039233
Yeah dividend-paying stocks clearly never increased in value, ever.
>>
>>1039238
Doesn't mean shit. Stock value isn't 100% correct. Could be waiting for a correction.
>>
>>1039240
>correction

To what? 1950-1960s level?
>>
>>1039042
>If your business pulls a million in revenue, but that does not mean your 1040 will be showing that
Learn to read or don't butt in when people aren't talking to you.

What I said was >"Any chosen year I could" >>1038855
I COULD. Doesn't mean I DID.

And the company pulls in more than a million.
>>
>>1038721
>No wonder things are going to shit if people care this much about what others think of them.

"Others" are where all your fucking money comes from. I'm an engineer and you know who we hire at my office? Clean-cut, well-dressed guys who can hold a conversation with clients. You know who we don't hire? Weird recluses who live in a fucking box and don't go anywhere or do anything and skeeve out our clients.

And that's ENGINEERING. Imagine how much more true this is if we were a regular marketing/sales/etc. company.
>>
>>1038513
Thats true for mr money mustache but not ERE

The math doesnt lie , but yeh , if you make less then you have to live frugally on retirement

Which isnt actually a bad thing once you decondition yourself from vapid whorish materialism
>>
File: Bantank.png (185KB, 422x441px) Image search: [Google]
Bantank.png
185KB, 422x441px
>>1038465
I'm going to shill this blog... I think you'll find it interesting at the very least. You don't even have to get a second job.
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/02/22/getting-rich-from-zero-to-hero-in-one-blog-post/
>>
>>1038465
That looks super comfy for it to be so "minimalist".
>>
>a million dollars in 9 years

Wow, you sure are ambitious!
>>
>>1038465
You'd be better saving for a down payment on a house than an arbitrary million. You certainly won't be able to live comfortably off that if you retire at 30. Also, if there is ever a market crash, you might be forced to work again after like 10-15 years, after you've thrown away your career and need start at the bottom again..
>>
>>1038924
Between MMM and his wife, yes they were making over 100k. He mentioned in one article that if you avg. their income over their savings they avg 62k per person.. so 120k a year avg..but I think they ended up closer to 200k and invested during the boom of early 2000s.. and had a nice windfall I believe.

Alot of his was right careers, right spouse, right investing, etc. It can be done but it may take longer than 10 years.
>>
File: 1451543341453.jpg (1MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1451543341453.jpg
1MB, 1536x2048px
>>1038465
>>
File: back away.gif (269KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
back away.gif
269KB, 500x375px
>>1038859
I suddenly want to go plant a grove of trees to replace all the air you waste every day.
>>
>>1038795
Idiots americans are pretty much 200millions of faggots like your parents living at credit and when we don't trust your asses anymore shit hits the fan.
>>
>>1039115
Let's average that to 55k (which is still more than most people 22-30). After fed tax, average state tax, social security, you're looking at 40k. Minus the 30k, that leaves them with less than 20% saved up.

Saving 50% is damn hard for most people. I make 81k and save about 35% (no roommate, high rent state), I can't imagine going back to the 43k I got straight out of college.
>>
Of course you can make it OP.

I chose another path myself, work less, earn less, spend less.

I live extremely frugaly but work only an average of 15 hours a week. I now have 25k at the bank and will stop working totally for a while. I have a good cosy job that pay quite bad but I'm now listening to Death Grips and writing this post while being paid.

The less you earn the less taxes you pay the more time you have for cooking. I also don't need a car.

My parents didn't give me money since I'm 16 but I will inherit about 600k from my father and use it for retirement. I hope there'll still be cheap countries without niggers at this time.
>>
>>1038815

> be Gen y
> retire at 65 guarantee

There is kek everywhere and my sides are in orbit.

Thanks.
>>
>>1038859

> nobody have become a millionaire by saving
>>
>>1038871

Interesting enough that crime has gone down 30% in the past 10 years.

We're more exposed to media than we've ever been, which makes our world seem worse than it really is. I blame it on the instant access we take for granted everyday.
>>
>>1039240

It's pissing me off that it hasn't happened yet.

Stupid pillows.
>>
>>1038465

Enjoy spending your youth miserable.
>>
>>1039716
Agreed. I make 90 and saved maybe 20, not including 401k and such.
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 189x187px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 189x187px
>tfw you have 10mil up for inheritance after your senpai kicks the bucket

Ty mom and dad for no siblings
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 480x360px
>>1041884
>mfw when f a m autocorrects to senpai
>>
>>1038896
>one million is tons of money
Not saying it's easy considering I'm barely halfway there after 7 years, but it certainly isn't yuge.
>>
>>1041884
What will you do with your life now that money's not an issue?
>>
>>1039305
>Learn to read or don't butt in when people aren't talking to you.
You're on a public forum. He's right, your autism IS showing.
>>
>>1041884
>>1041942
Well i'm currently working as a wage slave (civil eng) and my parents won't pass anytime soon, not that i want them to. It's just super reassuring to know my retirement is set in stone. I pretty much have zero savings and spend my money freely. Really liberating to not have to worry about the future.
>>
>>1041971
Sounds nice, senpai.
>>
File: at.png (63KB, 226x223px) Image search: [Google]
at.png
63KB, 226x223px
>>1039237
what do i win
>>
>>1041981
drawing on the image is the actual test. anyone who attempts retarded shit like that is an autist, congrats.
>>
>>1038716
>oh yeh, I'm going to be a dignified cuck, people will surely admire me for being a spoilsport and for my upper-middle class net worth
>>
>>1038855
>If I own a company that makes over a million a year, then aren't I a millionaire?

No, you're not. Just some jumped up small business owner
>>
>>1039513
anything can look comfy if you apply enough filters on it, and with the correct lighting
>>
File: 1450576243267.png (159KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1450576243267.png
159KB, 400x400px
LOL GET A LOAD OF THIS GOY, HE DOESN'T WANT TO MORTGAGE A HOUSE HE CANT AFFORD AND DRIVE 3 BMWS

WHAT A WEIRDO LOL SAVING WHATS THAT?

JUST ENJOY LIFE BRO, PARTICIPATE IN USURY

t. Mr. Goldberg Bankawitz

Do it OP, you must do what others won't to become what others don't
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 481x612px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 481x612px
>>1041977

Yeah my best friend is an analyst at wall street and plans to manage his own hedge fund in the future. He's a really smart guy so i believe in him, going to put everything in his fund and mostly spend the intrest, keeping the principal alive for my kid (only going to have one). If i teach them reponsibility and plan enough, my lineage will never have to worry about financial stability ever again
>>
>>1038465

It's very possible. I'm embraced the minimalist lifestyle and rather enjoy. No BS, no shit to deal with. Small condo, everything is paid for, and everything is good to go.

Now, as for the millionaire bit, it might take longer then 10 years but you can do it. Relax and do it. Don't let yourself go nuts with anything.
>>
>>1042069
>condo
>minimalism

You can't have it both ways
>>
>>1038465
If you learn to live a minimalist life, you won't need a million to retire. I lived in L.A for a year, spending no more than $1000/ month, sharing a flat, with my own room, riding the bus to work (normal in Europe, pretty gross in the US), enjoying life without burning cash in bars and restaurants. $1000 a month is 5% on $240,000 and will give you a good quality of life outside of big cities. Aim for $300,000 in savings while also learning to live a nice life with little money. No use being financially independent if you lose all social skills and emotional balance in the process.
>>
>>1039623
And how could a European cash in on this?
>>
>>1038465

You're dumb. Saving money like that doesn't make you rich, getting assets makes you rich. You need to gather things that have value and worth. Then you can start to see wealth.
>>
>>1042004
>going to put everything in his fund
You should think real hard about this one. There are so many other ways to live off the interest.
>>
>>1039716
I literally am making 54k out of college and am saving 50% of gross. 21k of it is pre tax (401k & HSA). Even after taxes & my Roth contribution I'm netting 1700 a month. Keep in mind, my girlfriend and I split a 1 bedroom apartment, so rent & utilities are only about 600 (I live in midwest). And my apartment is a half mile walk from work so I don't need a car, car insurance, or gas. Overall I'm left with about 500 a month for fun and shit. That's more than I really know what to do with... I mainly play video games & hang out with friends for free
>>
>>1038465
>Maximize income by getting second job,
I will just address this.
protip=2 shitty jobs never add up to one good job.
Work on getting a good job that will let you work 12 hours a day if you want, and will let you be promoted for it. 2 jobs usally equals=you are never enough at either job to get requisition
>>
>>1039115
what night job is going to pay the same as your day job?
protip=none
>>
>>1038465
You're not a millionaire if you have to live life like that just to be a millionaire.
>>
>>1038747
This times infinity. I help out local old people with their PCs as a charitable way to spend my time and make some folding money. What good is all that money going to when you are bound to a bed praying for death?
>>
>>1038465
Say you get to 1 million dollars, and then what? Not spend it because of how frugal you are? What is the purpose of all this?
>>
>>1039115

You're forgetting about taxes. There goes another 20-30%
>>
>>1043002
He's gonna save it so instead of living comfortable for 10 years and buying everything over time as he earns the money he can just buy it all at once of course seems perfectly reasonable to me
>>
>>1043002
He's going to shitpost on /biz/ just like normal. So no purpose really
>>
>>1042074

Sure I can. My condo is 900 square feet, I have very little stuff and I'm still getting rid of things as I decide it's time for it to go.
>>
>>1042273

Assets don't make you rich. Money makes you rich. The term "asset rich but cash poor" is because of this. You can have $10,000,000 in assets but can't afford a cup of coffee if you don't have money. Income assets are a thing, but a million dollars in income assets and a million dollars in cash are nearly equivalent in terms of income from it.
>>
>>1042229
We can't, we're in the same boat
>>
ITT: Cucks that bitch when someone else does something they can't bring themselves to do.

You ball less wonders bitching about people not wanting to own all the shit you cling to because of "muh lufestahles!" and feeling fucking (and being) inferior those of us that are willing to do what is needed so we don't have to slam our heads in the shit retail jobs ("Would you like to biggie size that, ma'am?"). Just because you aren't willing to take 10 years of your life, live it simply and affordably so we can spend the next 40 to 60 years of our lives doing what we want.
>>
>>1038465
I agree to most of the stuff, but as the other anons told you, it is very unrealistic.
The important point however is, that only working does not do it. What you described is the perfect way to start your own business.
Going through with it for 2-3 years should make you enough money, that you can start using it. And by using it, i mean quitting your second job and become an enterpreneur in some kind.
As the time goes quit your main job and start with your serious business plan, that youve worked out till then. This is also the point at which to get a business loan.
As long as your business is profitable, youll be a millionaire in 7 years from then on.
>>
>>1043002

Live off it. If his house is paid off, his single largest bill is gone. 4% of $1,000,000 is $40,000 a year. $1,000,000 in the VBLTX fund would give a little over $2,100 a month in income. Once you get rid of your major expenses for the month, you average American and Canadian can easily live on $2,000 a month.
>>
>>1038747

You are going to die in such a sad state because you worry about shit like this.
>>
>>1038465
10 years of the best years of your life is quite an investment. Remember that you spend money to make you happy, you don't spend happiness to make money.

There is a balance. The people who pull off your plan are crazies and die starving with money in the bank. An average person would be miserable.
>>
>>1038465
>work 12 hours a day
>spend no money on myself
>dont have a gf
>women only waste your time and money
>9 years later
>I'm finally a millionaire
>can finally marry me a beautiful honey
>all of the girls in my age group are divorced
>where have all the good girls gone?
>ah yeah, they got married while they were still young and pretty
>realized i wasted my youth pursuing money instead of building the foundation to a happy family life
>use my million dollars to order a helium tank on amazon
the end
>>
>>1043075

I like this "best years of your life" meme shit people push about their 20s. They aren't the best years of your life. The best years of your life are the ones you make. This could be the best year of your life if you meet the goals you set, enjoy what you do and life the life you want.

>There is a balance. The people who pull off your plan are crazies and die starving with money in the bank. An average person would be miserable.

The average person IS miserable because they are satisfied with their lives. Some cuck running around buying shit they don't need with $10 in the bank is more miserable then some person with a million dollars and able to do whatever they want and do do whatever they want.
>>
>>1042002
This, the shills are out in force ITT.
>>
>>1043075
>have to consume to be happy

We are so fucked. So fucking fucked.
>>
>>1038465
what is the egg for?
>>
>>1038924
>f-f-fifteen dollars for an entree? I could just eat at home

Ugh i've had friends like you. Literally the worst type of person to go out with.
>>
wanted to hit a million also
but it doesnt work out that way
if you max 100k you lose a quarter to taxes
you wont be able to deduct traditional IRA at that income if you max out a 401k, and you're still losing a shitload of money to taxes
I'm below 100k quite a bit so 30 is just an unrealistic goal
>>
>>1043335
That being said I realized the number doesn't matter

>people walking around work terrified of losing their job constantly
>have mortgage, car payments, have kids, have black hole of a wife
>they open up spreadsheets and stare at them all day to seem busy
>terrified of expressing themselves in any way
>meanwhile I have no debt, save nearly all of my after tax income, and can easily not give a shit

I think that's the key
minimalism is also a lifestyle i respect greatly
>>
>>1043351
Yeah, people definitely tie themselves down in many ways. I hate living in the city for this reason--ifcyou don't enslave yourself with debt and consumption you're a weirdo
>>
>>1043281
I try not to go out too much, its pretty conspicuous on my balance sheet. But if I choose to go out I'm not going to bitch about it. Part of being frugal is not being a slave to your money.

On this subject though I'll usually only buy one drink and switch to water--this way I can tip well. 4$ added to the tip buys me a lot more than a 4$ beverage. Pretty much gets me VIP service from that server for.months
>>
>>1043371
unfortunately thats true
everyone thinks im a miser and weirdo because i strive to be beholden to no one
>>
>>1042167
Returns are annual. You'd need 12x that much to make enough for your own cost of living
>>
>>1043051
What? Nigger I'm saying not to spend all your time worrying about the longterm future and enjoy your life now. We're not getting out of this alive, so enjoy what you can.
>>
>>1043593
Disregard that comment, I suck cocks.

You do pay taxes on your investment returns though so account for that
>>
>>1038465
You're forgetting to live
>>
File: fatpeopleareretarded.jpg (871KB, 2000x1300px) Image search: [Google]
fatpeopleareretarded.jpg
871KB, 2000x1300px
>>1038465
>All these Epicurians itt
Look Life IS an experience, but OP wants to be free of the rat race. Basically denying himself pleasure now for more later in life

The problem is you are being far too optimistic - aim for 1 million in 20 years, not 10.
>>
File: hamster-wheel.jpg (45KB, 300x257px) Image search: [Google]
hamster-wheel.jpg
45KB, 300x257px
> all these slaves
> you have to consume to be happy
> you have to have a bitch who consumes for you to be happy

Pic related, you.

t. Another fag who will retire early.
>>
>>1043646
But Epicureanism is about being free from the rat race, Anon. It's about living a simple quiet life with a few loved ones away from public life, the city and politics.
>>
>>1038465
minimalist or millionaire
choose one.
>>
>>1043689
Yes but saying "Life is to be enjoyed" is a hedonistic argument.
OP wants to be free
>>
>>1043639

And you have no idea what living is.
>>
>>1043690

Both.
>>
OP, I'm with you, except I advise you to add some kind of sport/gym/martial art deal. Health is important.

30 is still young, and working is more interesting than drinking & having sex. I mean, partying/traveling/having sex is fun initially but becomes less fun with time. Working, on the other hand, is not fun initially but becomes more fun with time.
>>
>>1038465
This is on the assumption that the things you invest in will return a profit.

You may actually lose cash on it in practice
>>
>>1043646
is she smashing the scales with a rock band guitar controller?
>>
>>1043697
True, but most hedonists aren't nearly as wise as Epicurus and actually pursue pleasure in a way that harms them in the long run, so to call all hedonists Epicureans is an abuse of his good name to be honest.
>>
>>1043686
>t. Another fag who will retire early.

same

we /ere/ and /mmm/ nao
>>
>>1039230
>Having a life. Having friends. Going out.

Whelp, none of those things are problems for me. Take that, normie scum.

>>1043281

I spend when I'm with people. Just not stopping for fast food every night when I'm alone. There's a difference between a few meals out a month with friends or a few meals out a day because you're lazy like spendfags. I know a LOT of people who eat out 90% of their meals or order food. They spend literally 20x what I do on food and their food is shittier. I'm a great cook.

>>1039564

Y-you're right, anon. That's actually not that much though, a married couple with decent jobs each making 60k. Easily achievable.
>>
>>1043840
>easily achievable
Good fucking luck finding a woman you're attracted to that makes 60k and is willing to settle for you. Bonus points if she doesn't become intolerable within 3 years and divorces you within 10.
>>
>>1038465
>minimalist
Fucking soulless waste of a brain.
>>
>>1043857

Glad you think that. Enjoy working until you are 70 and asking to see a receipt when someone wants to take their bags out of the store.
>>
>>1043819

If you read the accompanying insert you would see that this was already mentioned
Thread posts: 152
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.