[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's have a resume rate & review thread. Lost my job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: resume.png (42KB, 651x847px) Image search: [Google]
resume.png
42KB, 651x847px
Let's have a resume rate & review thread.

Lost my job today, how does my resume look? Any advise/criticism is welcome.
>>
>>1037949
>Don't put references on your resume. Keep them on another sheet

>JaveScript

>link to your public git repo

Aside from that looks good.
>>
>>1037951
>ink to your public git repo
I only have an enterprise repo that's not public. I really should upload some of my projects.
>>
Honest question, how did you turn your resume into a picture to post?

I posted the other day with my 3+ page resume, and the sites I found that turn txt/rtf into JPG only would convert the first page
>>
>>1037951
>Don't put references on your resume. Keep them on another sheet
What's the reason for that? Is that standard?
I barely have enough information to cover 1 page. Any advise on beefing it up?

>>1037959
>Honest question, how did you turn your resume into a picture to post?
Snipping tools
>>
>>1037959
Turn it into a PDF if you have 3+ pages though
>>
File: pen.png (429KB, 1804x1036px) Image search: [Google]
pen.png
429KB, 1804x1036px
>>1037949
way too much text. jesus. i'll get 500 cvs daily i have no time to read that shiiit. 2 sec glance and into the trash it goes
>>
>>1037965

Cant post PDFs to the chan

>>1037962

Snipping tools only shows part of 1 page
>>
>>1037978
If you're planning on posting a 3-page resume, just snip each page. Font would be too small to fit it all on one post.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (232KB, 817x871px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
232KB, 817x871px
>>
>>1038071
... anybody?
>>
>>1038092

Never hired anyone without 5 years experience. Couldnt even tell you where to begin other than "outdoors" in Skills. Drop that. I dont know why, but it triggered my fluff rage
>>
>>1038101
Dude I'm an intern looking for internship level positions. Also Entry level jobs in my field, at least in my area, drop the whole 5 years experience thing. If I had 5 years experience I would have a PE, then I wouldn't need a resume.

I'm not trying to sound defensive, just you know educating.
>>
>>1038106

I get that, and I was just basically bumping you.

I really dont know why Outdoors gave me a twitch. It is like the definition of feel good fluff everyone hates.

Otherwise, I guess its good. Ive honestly never looked at a CV with less than the last 6 jobs and duties
>>
>>1038071

I'd remove your linkedin link at the top and find a way to fit in your email and phone# in less space. If you have an @school.edu email, then use that while you're still a student.

Put your GPA under your BS degree.

Combine your Work and Additional Experience sections together and talk about the concrete canoe project more. Call the section something like "Work Experience and Projects" or something to that effect.

There are too many bullet points talking about your internship. Get rid of Seasonal. Condense your experience into 3 strong points. Make sure you talk about how you added <b>VALUE<b> to your company. Don't get too worked up about going over details. Chances are your boss doesn't know half that shit.

Get rid of Associations section (or capitalize it so it's all formatted the same if you're going to keep it).

Your interests section: Engineering and project management aren't interests. Your work isn't your life. Put other interests that make you seem like a normie here or get rid of the section completely.

Format the spacing between the Awards and Distinguishments section and Skills. Do not capitalize Eagle Scout.

Format. Format. Format. Get autistic about formatting your shit.
>>
>>1037962
It's standard not to provide references until asked.

To avoid excessive whitespace, put your technical skills into a table-like format it will look neater anyway. Maybe make your name larger as well and add another line of white space between the end of a section and the next header.
>>
>>1038071
Skills at the top.
Instead of 'software' write technological.
Instead of 'interests' write functional.

Also, what >>1038111 wrote is all good advice.
>>
>>1037949
Make it two pages. Expand on your big projects, 2 or 3 bullet points. Emphasize teamwork and taking feedback from clients.

Trying to summarize an actual career in 1 page is retarded and makes you look unaccomplished. 1 page resume is a meme
>>
>>1038111
If you're still here, or will be here later, do you have a comment on my work experiences at a boy scout camp? Honestly I only keep it because i worked in a management type position and I dont really have other notable experience, and that job was not engineering related.
>>
>>1038118
You don't put skills at the top for engineering positions, you put work experience and projects. The skills tab is almost nonessential
>>
I suppose this is the best place to ask. I'm wondering what the best email address to use on my resume. I'm lucky that I reserved pretty much every combination of my name on gmail, and have a personal website. I don't have the domainname for my lastname though, some other guy has that.

Pretend I'm called John Doe, which email address should I use?
As a email, should I use:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

[email protected] (no .edu in the Netherlands)
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
>>
>>1038699
Use them all, they will appreciate your forward-thinking, cover-all-your-bases approach
>>
>>1038699
I like [email protected]
>>
>>1038182

Hey I pop in from time to time. I just got off work.

I think it's ok to have since you were in a management type position and you're still a student. However, once you graduate or if you find another job it should be removed.

Just as before, try to tailor it to show what skills your employer would like to see. Try to not make it so wordy or vague - be clear on your accomplishments and what value your skills brought to the group (same goes for your internship).

Again and I emphasize: make sure you show what value your skills and accomplishments can add. That is the deciding factor. Getting work is a hard hustle, and I failed more times than I'd like to admit before I landed my dream job. Good luck m8
>>
File: 1439233825409.png (240KB, 1019x1318px) Image search: [Google]
1439233825409.png
240KB, 1019x1318px
Kept this from a /g/ thread couple of years ago, /g/ found it to be a good example. Hope it helps some faggots.
>>
File: OP.png (42KB, 648x840px) Image search: [Google]
OP.png
42KB, 648x840px
Need advise. The highlighted jobs are both with the same company, but clearly different positions. I went from helpdesk to programmer. Am I structuring it properly?

How should I structure a different position within the same company?
>>
>>1039734
I really like this. I might use some of the formatting. Not that I'm judging since you just graduated, but you don't have any work experience outside of internships?
>>
>>1039763
Yes. Break it out by job title.
>>
>>1039768
>Yes
Yes I'm structuring it properly? Should I still put the company name for each position or put some sort of divider/indent/separator in-between positions?
>>
>>1039769
Yes you are.

Just keep the company name for each position it's a resume not a JSON object.
>>
>>1039773
Heh, good point. Thank you.
>>
File: resume pic.png (175KB, 1577x1121px) Image search: [Google]
resume pic.png
175KB, 1577x1121px
Do I really have to limit it to 1 page?
>>
>>1037959

Print screen and cut/paste into Paint/PS
>>
File: resume.gif (80KB, 687x775px) Image search: [Google]
resume.gif
80KB, 687x775px
Please critique mine. I am a student looking for a job in horticulture, plant science, retail, or customer service. Something involving plants. Current college student. Male.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.