[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So now the the world is entering the second great depression,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

File: 1449269682925.jpg (52KB, 416x300px) Image search: [Google]
1449269682925.jpg
52KB, 416x300px
So now the the world is entering the second great depression, what are some things we can invest in? Water? Automobile parts for when the supply chains collapse? Guns and ammo?

Please respond
>>
>>1035370
>he fell for the weekly happening meme
>>
>>1035370
>water
we could literally fix this with enough reverse osmosis plants.
>>
File: shemitah-real.png (1MB, 1366x2653px) Image search: [Google]
shemitah-real.png
1MB, 1366x2653px
>>1035370
jew memes obviously
>>
File: le dead cat bounce.jpg (42KB, 540x438px) Image search: [Google]
le dead cat bounce.jpg
42KB, 540x438px
>>1035404
>market starts crashing around september

/pol/ was right again!
>>
>>1035403
>implying humanity is smart enough to implement it.
>>
>>1035398
>youre not a diy investor
>>
>>1035398
No, he's right. we actually are already having a global water crisis, it's just not hitting first world countries yet.
>>
File: EarthOrthographicMapProjection.png (191KB, 457x451px) Image search: [Google]
EarthOrthographicMapProjection.png
191KB, 457x451px
What water crisis?

Protip: There's even more water on the other side.
>>
>>1035677
kek
>>
>>1035403
Too much power to do that.
It basically means 10x the price for water or more.
>>
>>1035677
10/10
>>
>>1035677
>There is water everywhere
That's salt water. Go ahead and drink it. Also go fund the desalination plants as well. They're fucking expensive to run.
>>
>>1035435
don't get me started on cali environmental
>>
File: hiihoo.gif (962KB, 245x300px) Image search: [Google]
hiihoo.gif
962KB, 245x300px
>>1035370
stocks
>>
>>1035407
>>1035404
hmmm
>>
File: 462px-PolackWhoCriedHappening.jpg (87KB, 462x599px) Image search: [Google]
462px-PolackWhoCriedHappening.jpg
87KB, 462x599px
>>1035826
What you don't trust us?
>>
>>1035370
Fucking permabear /biz/
>>
File: Man_yelling.jpg (9KB, 350x268px) Image search: [Google]
Man_yelling.jpg
9KB, 350x268px
HOW.
DO.
I.
GO.
LONG.
ON.
WATER.
>>
>>1035733
>implying nerds won't science the shit out of it so I can make millions
>>
Put water collecting cisterns under your property in rainy environments. Then when the world goes full desert mode you can sell or keep as your own.

Also, drain blood from people you kill or who die.
>>
>>1035733
What is solar powered desalination?
>>
>>1036048
Extremely slow, hard to maintain, and absolutely not viable on a large scale.

Desalination is extremely expensive to build, and very nearly cost-prohibitive to operate.

Chemical synthesis is only useful as a lab experiment and on a small scale.

There really is no option. The population needs to use less, or they'll start dying until we reach equilibrium with the carrying capacity of the Earth. Pro tip: Earth's carrying capacity isn't 7 fucking billion. It's nowhere near 7 billion.
>>
>>1035733
>take salt water
>make solar distillation still (virtually 0$)
>collect free water
>>
>>1036098
Can't we just freeze the water, then remove the concentrated brine? Though this probably equivalent in expense. Hmm, maybe some sort of charged filter which allows the water to come in but keeps the salt out? Maybe learn how extremophiles specialized organelles keep osmotic balance?

We can do it. It'll be expensive, people will die/go to war etc. but its just a matter of time.
>>
>>1035407
....so you don't like the increase in your dollars buying power?
>>
>>1036273
Buying power is great, as long as you still have a job. How many jobs don't rely on the easy credit environment?
>>
File: 1403327879612.jpg (9KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
1403327879612.jpg
9KB, 205x246px
>>1036273
I'm Canadian
>>
>>1035948
honestly the best way I can think is to open desalination plants in areas that have shortages and have means to pay. This would of course help the crisis, economics is kewl sometimes
>>
>>1036098
earth's carrying capacity widely accepted to be 9 billion, so yeah not 7
>>
>>1036312
That's assuming cheap access to fossil fuels and no major climate changes, from fossil fuels.

Cheap fuel -> people can live where they otherwise wouldn't be able to, like the entire Southwest.

Climate change -> shit that used to grow will stop growing, or require more water and other resources to grow -> food prices go up and it becomes more scarce

Long term carrying capacity is nowhere near 9 billion, let alone 7. It's closer to 2.
>>
>As water in the lake goes down, we just build deeper intakes
Good plan, right?
>>
>>1035403
Yes, but it cost tons of energy and chemicals (to get rid of anything biological or carbon based before it goes into the membranes) people want to use electricity for other things.
>>
>>1036098
I am a water engineer and agree with you, but we can also do like California now and have total recycling of sewage straight back into drinking water. Cheaper than desalination and can be made completely (for all practical purposes) safe.
>>
>>1036230
>Can't we just freeze the water, then remove the concentrated brine? Though this probably equivalent in expense. Hmm, maybe some sort of charged filter which allows the water to come in but keeps the salt out? Maybe learn how extremophiles specialized organelles keep osmotic balance?

Freezing the water would take even more energy, because you need to freeze seawater to about -20°C. Boiling it is no solution either, they only do that in Oman because the salt water outside Oman is too salt for 'reverse osmosis' which is a kind of filter like you mention, but it demands very high pressures and the water needs to be very clean before it goes into the system. Very expensive, but cheaper than the alternative. There have been some recent research where some Chinese scientists managed to remove like 10% of the salt from salt water in a fuel cell with microorganisms. And a American chemist managed to desalinate a little bit of water with a lot of soy oil heated to about 40°C. Those are the most promising new technologies. Saudi Arabia spends billions on research, but at the moment engineers that work with water like myself don't have much better than reverse osmosis. I imagine there could be a way to do it cheaper by vacuum because water boil at much lower temperature in less pressure, but I have not figured out how to actually do it in a economic way.

>We can do it. It'll be expensive, people will die/go to war etc. but its just a matter of time.
Which is a shame, it CAN be fixed already today, it's just very expensive. People should not have to die.
>>
File: 1410427242717.png (394KB, 598x564px) Image search: [Google]
1410427242717.png
394KB, 598x564px
>>1035370
You should invest in Knee Pads and Mouth Wash. It's really going to be the next hot thing.
>>
Nuclear powered multistage flash distillation is the future of desalination
>>
>>1035590
only because of the fucking global population
>>
>>1036716
Except everywhere that need lots of water (except California) will get bombed and the women and children murdered by America if they build a nuclear power plant. It so it is not a realistic alternative even though it is cheap and environmentally friendly. But reverse osmosis is still way cheaper than flash destilation.
>>
>>1035733
I lived in Dubai once. We all had desalination plants and for Westerners, it doesn't break the bank at all to buy bottled water.
>>
File: IMG_20151212_172935.jpg (108KB, 599x788px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151212_172935.jpg
108KB, 599x788px
>>1036326
>yfw the entire reason you save is to be in that 2 billion
>>
>>1036326
No one believes in global warming dude
>>
>>1036326
It's strange to me that the only place with a more malthusian bent than /pol/ is /biz/.

With contemporary crop yield numbers, even a severe global drought wouldn't significantly impact food prices. Perhaps luxury, water-intensive crops -- almonds, avocados, ect -- but the staple basics would be fine in industrialized countries.

The only real risk is that it will disproportionately impact developing economies with limited access to water to begin with, thus creating social unrest and global instability.
>>
>>1037101
Yep yep.

>>1037116
>der

>>1037130
I hope you're right. Granted the United States does spend waaaay too much fucking water on retardedly water-intensive crops like almonds (looking at you, California). Fingers crossed that you're right.
>>
>>1037090
Dubai is one of the richest places in the world.
>>
Control global warming and it wont happen. Water shortage is triggered by droughts triggered by global warming.
>>
there is no global water crisis

the middle east and africa will simply wither. problem solved

america has oil, canada has oil, the uk has oil, japan has oil, russia has oil, china has oil many countries in south america have oil

we will do fine without them
>>
>>1037130
>thus creating social unrest and global instability.
See Syrian refugee crisis
>>
>>1037608
>the middle east and africa will simply wither. problem solved
With global security with them. Hardly a problem solved.
>>
>>1036705
What about using normal osmosis but with solutes which are more easily removed than salt (though I am drawing a blank on such a solute. It would almost certainly have to artificial. Perhaps nano-crystals which self-assemble with addition of a regent (or some stimulus like electricity).)
>>
>>1037609

Syria with its population of 22 million would be a comfy fun exercise compared to a place going dry like India with its 1.3billion citizens
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.