[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reminder that your generation is never ever going to be able

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11

File: 1359442442118.jpg (185KB, 1200x944px) Image search: [Google]
1359442442118.jpg
185KB, 1200x944px
Reminder that your generation is never ever going to be able to retire. Enjoying working til your grave.
>>
Gotta get to positive net assets.
>>
>>1031980
>implying I won't inherit mummy and daddy's house and enough cash to live on for the rest of my life
NEET4LYFE
>>
>>1031980

Yes, unfortunately I have to pay for my parent's generation's fuck ups.

Thank you.
>>
>>1031980
Lel
Our generarion has the glorious silicon valley FIRE train
Want to retire at 30? Downright doable. Software engineers can kill their student loans in 1-2 years, save a couple mill in bonuses, then buy a house anywhere else and live off the interest.

The masters and phds in medieval architecture are fucked but who cares?
>>
>>1031980

Really? Cause I just tired 40 and am about 15 years from retirement based on current projections.
>>
I'm only 43 and will be retiring this year. I may go back to work, but only if I get bored. It's very possible, but only work some discipline
>>
>>1032068
Also, there's plenty of money to be made in FOSS. And Mickey Mouse go three ears.

Fuck! Haven't you realized that the software biz is in most need of unionization? The occasional fag that can retire before grey hairs shows up, is and will always be hot smoke from the 90s blown up your ass.
>>
>>1031980
Power law in action. 2% of talented people at the right place in the right time will make an enormous amount of money. The next 20%-30% will do well for themselves. Everybody else is fucked. This is the structure of vast majority of countries in the world that are economically libertarian (meaning no welfare for niggers), look at modern giants such as China (no welfare, no pensions), and Russia (nominal welfare, nominal pension). Both have a pack of very rich people at the top, a small middle class and a lot of poor. This is the future for the world, read Paul Graham if you want to know historical causes:

http://paulgraham.com/re.html
>>
>>1031980
My generation may not, but I will. Hope you enjoy selling mullattos urban apparel in 2046 gramps.
>>
>implying I'm even going to die

Enjoy the peace of death, old man. My generation will be known as The Immortals. The first of our kind. The Great Elders of Man.
>>
>>1032108
Are you in software engineering?
>>
>>1032068
>just have a job in silicon valley bro
>>
>>1031980
Not so my friend, by slowly retraining my consumerist whore habits and applying a systems approach to my lifestyle i've managed to clear my debt and pay off my property in 6 years and now live on approx 65% of my income.

I'll be retired by 2026 at age 39 and I didn't even have to give up the luxury of internet and smartphone
>>
File: earlyretirement.jpg (51KB, 510x404px) Image search: [Google]
earlyretirement.jpg
51KB, 510x404px
>>1032224
forgot pic related
>>
>>1032199
Yes. Not surprising, I know. But what younger engineers don't know is that retirement in your 40s is nearly mandatory in this career, that's why I pushed so hard for it to happen. Lots of problems occur after that point, so you need at least an alternative career to go to.
>>
>>1032226
What do the percentages mean?
>>
>>1032183
>My generation will be known as The Immortals
So you'll get your shit pushed in by Alexander?
>>
>>1032269
Ratio of earnings to lifestyle spending. The lower cost life you're willing to tolerate, the sooner you can retire at that lifestyle level.
>>
>>1032275
Sorry, I misread your question. Ignore
>>
>>1032259
Problems after 40 in software engineering? Like what?
>>
>>1032269
Those are "expected rates of return" so basically what return you're expecting on the investments that you make. S&P500 is around 6-8% on average.
>>
>>1032300
The main one is ageism. No-one likes to talk about it, since tech culture is supposed to be a meritocracy. "Look we hire of all races and genders!" But, if you look, no-one's over 30, lol.

It's a hard problem to deal with and there's a bit of an issue on both sides of the fence. From the company standpoint, they can get more hours for less pay out of someone with 5 years or less experience and if that's your only metric, then the choice is clear. Also, there is the perception that younger people know the latest stuff better than more experienced people.

From the employee perspective, the career itself burns you out faster because of the longer hours put in when you were younger. So, you're less tolerant of the bullshit. Plus, as you get older, you have more responsibilities, less time and less energy and so the pull is strong to drift into the cushier role of the resident expert on a specific area. Do this for too long and you are in danger of becoming a dinosaur. Plus, with a high salary and high savings rate over a longer period of time, your investments start to kick in just when you start to see some career degradation. So, many people move into less technical roles, switch careers completely, or just retire if they can.

Honestly, it's not a bad problem to have, but only if you're aware of the problem in the first place. I know a few people in their 50s who thought they'd be able to work until 65 and are now scrambling.
>>
My generation can suck it. Another SE here and going to retire by 30.
>>
>>1032340
Your highest earning years may be in your 30s, so working some of those years may be a good choice as long as you have a plan.
>>
>>1032337
>implying I'll be working past 30

We /earlyretirement/ senpai!
>>
>implying i won't be a cyborg
>>
>>1032346
> implying I need more money

Materialism is >>>/soc/ that way bro.
>>
I struggled to deal with this for many years, not the retirement part but just the whole having to work for like 50 years or so. Now though I know there will be no hard stop for me. I'm learning to trade in the market now and will carry on this path until I die. So no matter what happens to my job prospects or anything else, this is a skill I can continue to use right to the end. It's my backup plan for life. I don't need a building or an office or staff or business. I just need an internet connection and a computer. I'm setting myself up with the capital now while I'm able and every small baby step I make just makes it better and better.

I'm really enjoying learning how the markets work. It definitely appeals to my nature.
>>
>>1031980

THANKS BABY BOOMERS
>>
File: sicp-cover.jpg (95KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
sicp-cover.jpg
95KB, 500x492px
>>1032337
Good analysis. I would like to add some to it.

I haven't worked in IT yet. I will probably not, despite me having a vocational degree in programming. Because I got AS and don't like huge, unstructured gatherings of fags that never own the situation they're in.

And yes, young people tend to be best at the latest stuff. But once you get a bit older, you're looking for contingency plans. You're also more interested in the history and the more theoretical side of stuff. I wouldn't bet much money on that the young cannon fodder knows of this baby, even less read it. True, it won't teach you how to make that latest hot thing. But taking the latest hot thing AND the circumstances of how it was made for granted will impede you.

Let's say that you yourself has used programs that did pretty much the same thing some 15-20 years ago. Only slower. But easier to understand and easier to make backups. (Floppies, anyone?) Then it's The New Times and backups is made "in The Cloud". And everything is nice until the system goofs and it takes forever to restore from backups. So the fags in the 20-30s that never questioned the sloppy backup systems got told hard.

And this is why performance isn't the same thing as productivity. Everyone knows that if you look at raw power the latest gaming rig is superior to a Mac Mini. But if you want a computer for your home music studio, or to make programs for Apple Store, then Mac Mini is the way to go. Or why not HP 50G (has a 2GB SD-slot) compared to HP Prime (quick & color screen but no SD-slot)?
>>
File: Fucking shit system.png (353KB, 449x598px) Image search: [Google]
Fucking shit system.png
353KB, 449x598px
>>1033408
Another problem is that IT still is regarded as that magic panacea with no hidden nor displaced costs at all. Then the IT sector, at least in the US, is the one that needs to be.

I borrowed this book yesterday (one of the editions). Have only browsed it and most of the examples are swedish. Don't know if it's translated to english, but if not it should be. The author has a blog in english:

javlaskitsystem se/english

And this is why the starry-eyed youngs may fail. If they didn't experience The Great Database Fuckup of 2003 and lived to tell about it, then they're probably the last to raise objections when the IT systems are going to have a huge overhaul.
>>
social security might still be around
in which case early retirement will hurt you as the payout is an average of your years worked
>>
>>1032556
YOU'RE WELCOME, LITTLE SHITHEADS, FROM THE PEOPLE WHO GAVE YOU DOW 17000 WHILE YOU'RE BEATING OFF IN A BASEMENT.
>>
>>1031980
Maybe for losers like you, but as a hard working smart individual, I already have enough savings and investments to retire whenever I want and I am only 30.
>>
>>1032337
>But, if you look, no-one's over 30, lol.
Maybe in startups. There's a ton of 30+ people in tech. I worked at an IT place a few years back and I was the youngest at 29.
>>
>>1032337
Ageism aside, it's still no meritocracy.

I once worked in an office where _I_ was the diversity hire. Worked with an Indian, two white women, and a Hispanic, under an old white woman. All but one of them was as dumb as a box of hammers and she bailed out right after I was fired. Was working on an escape and had my timetable pushed up a few more weeks than expected.

But seriously, I worked in half a dozen places where having experience and being good was a liability.

>potential boss: we want top people who think outside the box to move the business forward
>now your boss: do only the bare minimum and don't ask questions or we'll make up an excuse to fire you

And that's why people hate computers. They're stuck with awful software that any thinking person could dramatically improve if only they could get hired and stay hired.
>>
>>1031980
>convocated from University in 2002
>College of Commerce, Finance major
>by 2009 have enough saved and invested so that if I never save one new dollar I am projected to retire in my 50s as a millionaire
>keep saving and investing anyway
>>
>>1033668
>I once worked in an office where _I_ was the diversity hire.
What are you then? A colored gentleman?

>Worked with an Indian, two white women, and a Hispanic, under an old white woman. All but one of them was as dumb as a box of hammers and she bailed out right after I was fired.
In what way was they dum-dums? And who wasn't the dum-dum?
>>
>>1033671
>Projected

lol
>>
>>1032269
>>1032275
No thats on the axis
>>1032304
Correct
>>
>>1033749
No, white male. One white woman was smart and left, 90% sure because she was tired of working with/for idiots.

The developers were dumb because they couldn't program. They were literally guessing at it. Who dictates a library/tool and then can't answer any questions about it? Couldn't understand error messages and ignored bug reports too. And while they'd bang their heads into the same wall over and over expecting a different result, any research into any problem was "too expensive." Durka never ever documented a change, just checked in non-compiling code and let everybody else sit for a day or two while he guessed his way through a fix.

So this was a really simple app. HR records...names, job titles, etc. They'd worked on it for a year and had almost nothing done. Library has a bug where it wouldn't save; just threw an exception. Durka denied it even with a fucking screenshot. Filed a bug, sat for 2 months. Worked around it, got berated. Filed it again, sat another 2 months. Asked about it one day and durka went into a tirade about how he had sooooo many e-mails to read every day (a whopping 10).

Now it's like 5 months further past the deadline and they're panicking. So they do 3 things. 1, waste a day replacing all the icons on the main menu with the same icon. 2, haul me, whose work is actually done (if they fix the save, that is), into a meeting to whine about my variable naming. These are people who never spelled a word the same way twice having a fucking conniption that I capitalized "SQL" somewhere. 3, hire _more_ contractors who have to be brought up to speed on their shit code that doesn't work and squabble about whether or not to give them access to e-mail.

How this relates to interviews? This was take 3 on this app. SAP and CRM failures preceded it. Told them flat out I wasn't interested in another ERP clusterfuck. And then they repeated every single fuckup endemic to them.
>>
>>1032208
SV, from an engineering perspective, has very typical needs and wants for development. It's HR and recruiters that fuck everything to hell (typical corporate problems).

The smaller firms in the Valley are supposedly excellent to work for. But you'll almost never hear about them because "hurr durr they aren't blowing $2 billion a year in VC funds just to get aqui-hired".
>>
What the hell is actually a good field to get into?
>Business
>Engineering
>Tech
>Medical
>HR

There's a product I want to create, but I'm not sure how to make it happen. Do I need to go back to school? It's frustrating as hell because it seems like just about everything caps out around $50,000 a year unless you make it to manager, or have years of experience/expertise.
>>
>>1032183
kek
>>
>>1033853
Horrible! How was the leadership? And did you try the fizzbin test on them?
>>
>>1033924
>There's a product I want to create, but I'm not sure how to make it happen

Basically you either make it yourself cottage industry or send it to the manufacturing giants in taiwan or china to make it for you, then you sell.

You're going to need a design of the product as well as technical things, then you are going to need packaging, marketing, financing, etc.

Read business books
>>
>>1032108

>I'm only 43

Nigga I'm 23 and my life is pretty much already over.
>>
>>1032068
>Our generation has the glorious silicon valley FIRE train
The boomers thought the same about Wall Street and look how that turned out for most of them.
>>
>>1032259
>Ageism
Bro, I feel sorry for you. You can open a repair shop, I know a lot of old timers love doing this.
>>
>>1031980
As a 20 year old with a self made net worth of 700k, I beg to differ.
>>
>>1034688
>self made
TOP KEK
>>
>>1031980
Damn that is fucking depressing.
>>
>>1031980
I've had two mini-retirements already and I'm 29. Life is what you make it.

Sure, anyone expecting the government to take care of them after living beyond their means for 40 years is fucked, but I feel like they deserve it.
>>
What if you like working? My job is the best and when it isn't I'll just go somewhere else.
>>
>>1031980
Retirement is degeneracy. The purpose of life is to work and toil. Through your suffering, you achieve salvation.

t. Protestant
>>
>>1031980
Reminder that if you actually do this, you are doing it at your own freewilly. If you dont want to, dont do it. If somehow you end up in trouble, make those troubles go away.
If (say) for some reason your government wants you to work untill death so they dont have to, why not simply kill them, ruin the fun for everyone?
Idiots..
>>
>>1031980
Dutchfag here.

I make 4k/month by sitting on my ass, why would I even care about this?
>>
Slavfag here

I am a 25 year old bartender with no savings on a 600€ / month salary.
What do?
>>
File: why-you-always-lying-feat.jpg (20KB, 467x414px) Image search: [Google]
why-you-always-lying-feat.jpg
20KB, 467x414px
>>1031980
>implying that I'm going to be a wagecuck like most of /biz/
>>
>>1036974
Work at a better bar.
>>
>>1031980
>I wish I had shitposted more in that taiwanese financial billboard
>>
>>1031980
>23
>white
>bacheors degree
>series 7 license
>parents own a big house
>job making good money, good benefits including high 401k match
>tons of potential promotions, already got one

I'm pretty confident
>>
>>1034688
How'd you accomplish that?
>>
>>1033622
and created the widest wealth gap known to mankind, and a massive debt burden, and the most expensive yet ineffective education system in the world, and left the world in complete shambles from constant meddling in foreign affairs.
>>
>30
>white
>dual undergrad in management and marketing
>masters degree in management
>graduated at top of class
>own home
>make OK, but not great money (about $65k a year)
>live in low-cost area
>save over 50% of income
>rich parents
>fiance also has rich parents

Still will probably never retire, even with all these advantages. Feels bad mane.
>>
I dont even worry about retirement. I just worry I wont be a multi millionaire by the time im 30
>>
File: 1452393061681.png (490KB, 917x446px) Image search: [Google]
1452393061681.png
490KB, 917x446px
>34.
>24k a year
>only 60k savings
>someone come to canada and kill me, plz
>>
I was fairly confident before my promotion but now I'm pretty confident I'll have an early retirement.

>Ausfag
>$50k savings
>no debt
>Saving ~75% of salary
>$80k/year

Went from annoyed and earning $45k/year to $80k per year, living in another city with rent and expenses paid for and very few worries.
>>
>>1037753

>""""""""only""""""""" 60k savings
>>
>>1032183
What if the covenant attack?
>>
File: 11388632451456.png (37KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
11388632451456.png
37KB, 400x400px
>Canadian
>24
>make 40k a year but could make 50k a year if I worked 50 hour weeks
>no debt
>30k savings

Am I a failure?
>>
>>1037806

$60k at 34 is nothing
>>
>30
>make $60k a year
>business masters degree
>90k in savings, 50k in stocks, 30k in property equity, about 90k in business equity

Am I fucked?
>>
>>1037809
Well, the immortals won't be fighting them off. Halo Spartans are 8-12 year old child soldiers if you actually know the lore.
>>
>>1037809
Besides, we can get them straight from the projects. Cuts down training time by 50%.
>>
>>1037833
yes
>>
>>1037871
The Spartans were abducted when they were 8-12 year old children. By the time the Human-Covenant war ends, Master Chief is over 40 years old. The SPARTAN IIIs *were* originally teenagers thrown into combat, until Bungie retconned all the lore and turned them into SPARTAN IIs with slightly different armor.
>>
File: 1448551662542.gif (2MB, 196x300px) Image search: [Google]
1448551662542.gif
2MB, 196x300px
>>1032139
>unionization
What, do you WANT the software biz to become stagnant, like any business does when unions come into the picture?
>>
>>1037833
>50k in stocks

Boy, I hope you put that money in their fairly recently, otherwise you'll have a shit return.
>>
>>1037826
>24
>you make 6 grand more than i do a year in USD
>no debt also
>literally half your savings
if you're a failure i should kill myself tonight
>>
File: end141103.gif (143KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
end141103.gif
143KB, 600x600px
>>1038187
MFW I look at my finances :(.

>>1037753
>>
>>1037833

You probably won't retire, but still much better than average.
>>
>>1037599
He borrowed Bills check book, and wrote one out.
>>
>>1037833
If you can increase that salary you'll do great, your savings is fine at an average of >30k after taxes/expenses per year after a supposed graduation at 22 with no debt.
>>
>>1034654
Ya, the silicon valley bubble is already deflating.

I don't think it will have a proper "pop" because theres still so much innovation coming out of it. I think it will just become far more corporate and less start-upy.
>>
>>1037618
Bernie pls go
>>
File: 42.jpg (18KB, 409x421px) Image search: [Google]
42.jpg
18KB, 409x421px
>27
>Never worked a day in my life
>Raking in more autismbux than I can spend
>Already have a enough NI credits to qualify for state pension
>>
>>103892654

I think it will stay the same and not be a bubble
>>
>>1037827
I want to die.....
>>
>>1038983

It is unrealistic to expect retirement (or a comfortable life at all, really) if you only have 60k in savings by age 34. $200-250k would be a good start
>>
>>1039084
I know, I feel anhero right about now......
>>
>>1032139
>software
>unionizing
>actually wanting the mouth breathers that are the average software developer to be in charge of anything
>>
>>1033924
Start a corporation with a lawyer, then hire someone who can make it. Make sure you own the patent.
>>
>>1032068
>The masters and phds in medieval architecture are fucked but who cares?
Who do you think teaches at Uni? :^)
>>
>>1039180
about 3 people per university over 20 years out of the thousands of graduates pumped out over the same time period.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.