[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
How do you guys convince yourselves to spend...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
File: money-burn[1].jpg (19 KB, 445x292) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
money-burn[1].jpg
19 KB, 445x292
How do you guys convince yourselves to spend money? For example, buying a $20,000 car rather than investing $15,000 instead and getting a much cheaper car.
>>
File: lol.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
lol.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>1031727
You're talking to man that dropped $25,000+ AUD in the last twelve months with sporting gambling and got it stolen by the regulators.
>>
>>1031727
>For example, buying a $20,000 car rather than investing $15,000 instead and getting a much cheaper car.

I don't spend my money retardedly like that.

It makes no sense not to just drop that $15k into an Index Fund so that it can earn you a reasonable amount just drive a cheaper car that gets you where you need to go anyways.

The difference between a $5k and $20k car in terms of practicality and use is nearly non-existent. If it's a reliable model, has a reasonable amount of miles on it and fulfills the requirements I have for transportation than there is no point of spending more.

Trying to "impress gurls and other people" is a race you cannot win with a $20k car. You will need much more money and it's not even desirable to achieve that.
>>
>>1031749
Bullshit. a 5k car is likely to have done 100,000 miles on the clock already and will be lucky to do another 100,000 A 20k car might've done 10,000 miles, if that.
>>
>>1031776
>Bullshit. a 5k car is likely to have done 100,000 miles on the clock already and will be lucky to do another 100,000

I buy $1-2k cars with 100k miles, which is actually a better deal if you're Jewish than a $5k car with maybe 60-80k miles if you're lucky.

>Will be lucky to do another 100,000

And how is that bad? For the price of that $20k car I can buy 4 $5k cars to replace themselves when they go to shit. Are you meaning to tell me 4 $5k cars will last less than 1 $20k car? This is simply not true if you buy one of the recommended reliable models of car which are reported to have nearly no issues and be highly dependable.
>>
>>1031778
>tfw i bought a $400 car 6 years ago and it hasn't shitted out yet
>>
>>1031749


>"The difference between a $5k and $20k car in terms of practicality and use is nearly non-existent"
>only driving because muh commuter

You guys don't know how to buy cars.

$20k gets you a lot if you buy 3rd party and aren't retarded. Too many cucks buying 2016 models, baka.

>>1031727

To answer OP: It's because some people like cars.
>>
>>1031727
Learn to live a little son. Yes, save and invest most of your income, but don't waste the best years of your life being Scrooge McDuck
>>
>>1031727

Because there's a balance to be struck between living the life you want, and saving to build wealth.

Some people are happy saving 95% of their income while living in the basement of the crack house and driving a rusted out 1989 caprice classic. Some people are happy spending 105% of their income and having nothing set aside for retirement. Most people are somewhere on the sliding scale in the middle.

Everyone has to find their own "sweet spot", and just because mine is different than yours doesn't make either of us wrong.

I save about 25% of my income for retirement, another 8-10% in brokerage accounts. I buy nice stuff with what's left.

I don't want to live in a cardboard box with no car or tv so I can retire at 40...and hang out all day in my cardboard box with no TV.
>>
>>1031727
Because i fuckin love my jeep. Everyday i get to drive it. Makes the struggle worth going on. Plus its the only thing i have splurged on. Im thrifty other than that.
>>
>>1031727

I have a cheap hobby that I love putting as much time as possible into, that's the real key, so I end up saving pretty much everything quite simply because there's fuck all I want to buy.
>>
>>1031727
I spent $12k cash last year on a Nissan Murano for my wife. That was the single largest purchase I've made. I wanted something safer for her than the civic she was driving and didn't want to finance which would've cost me an additional $2600+. I'm driving an 07 Silverado I bought for $8k that I've put money into for engine and tranny work but it was a $55k truck new. I can't justify owning a new vehicle or throwing money away on financing.
>>
>>1031749
Depends on how you will use the car, and your current circumstances.

If you are using the vehicle for commercial, income producing purposes - then yes, it may be worth it. The kind of transaction, whether purchasing outright or going through a lease (and the type of lease involved) will all be important factors.
>>
>>1031778
whats the most reliable car?
>>
>>1031908
As somebody who lived on a pot farm for a year, drove a painted bus across the us and back and backpacked thousands of miles with no transportation but my legs and thumb, this is bullshit. You can have all the fun you want with very little money expendaure at all. The key is to have fun experiences that cost very little. For instance, the backpacking trip only cost about 150 plus 500 for the supplies for the whole summer. I would have spent more in rent that summer, even under the most optimistic of situations. Experiences can be had for free that are much more valuable than the enjoyment any expensive toy could bring. Same goes for nickel and dime you to death experiences like daily Starbucks lattes.

When given the choice between 3 months of adventure and a latte every day for the summer, which is really going to bring me long term happiness? I can tell you about the time I met a complete stranger and we ended up night hiking to an awesome vista in big sur. Do you think I would be looking back as fondly on how I had a single latte in a cafe during that summer?
>>
>>1031981
I completely agree with you m8. I was not bashing living frugally, nor do I believe that expensive shiny things will make you happy. All I'm saying is don't be an extreme penny pincher. The person I am thinking of wouldn't even have gone on your trip because they'd rather live in some cardboard box to work and invest 90% of their income.
>>
>>1031970
Honda civic has cheap parts and is lego-like in maintenance. 90s ones are cheap but if you live in a bad neighborhood chances are it will get stolen.
Toyota Corolla, toyota paseo, toyota echo, Nissan sentra.... the list of cars you will find on Craigslist that are the longest running survivors for cars besides a truck.
Jeep Cherokee with 4.0 or ford straight 6 truck has engines that last 400,000+ but yes the rest of it will need to be repaired time to time which is significantly less money than engine work.
>>
>>1031953
Nissan murano:
Check for leaky cam sensors, and messed up lower ball joints. Sorry to say the murano is a middle age wife trap.. worst built 3.5 engine and suspension is crap after a few thousand miles.
>>
>>1031727
I bought a new car for $13000 (Suzuki) and it came with a 5 year warranty. It gave me trouble free travel for 6 years before I sold it for $4500.

$8500 for 6 years of absolute worry free commuting vs the fucking garbage every other idiot is taking a gamble on. I've got no shame spending $1500 per year to have a new car with warranty.
>>
>>1031727
Wow this is now a meme car thread?

To answer your question on how I stop myself from spending money I focus more on my savings goals before looking at how much I have to spend.

>debts other than house paid off? Yes
>fully funded emergency fund? Yes
>investing in low fee index funds 15%? Yes

Take care of your priorities kohais.
>>
>>1031727

> has 2006 Honda with 150k miles
> paid $2,300 when had 130k miles
> motor making sounds
> take to a macaroni
> macaroni says timing chain
> macaroni says can fix it
> macaroni blows the motor
> macaroni wont cover costs
> macaroni is sears auto center
> end up dropping $1,600 for new motor
> car's paint is chipping away
> car's odometer went out
> slowly turning into a shit stain

Now I'm a proud owner of a 2013 Toyota Camry with a backup camera, 23,000 miles, push to start, and it smells nice for $18,000. It has a nice paint job too and I don't have to worry about anything besides a damn oil change from another macaroni.
>>
>>1031749

>2016
> Thinks girls are impressed by a $20,000 car.

lol
>>
File: 1416302247741.png (48 KB, 400x389) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1416302247741.png
48 KB, 400x389
>tfw thinking all night long about buying a €24 bottle of Absolut Vodka
>ended up not doing it
>about to go to sleep
>regret not buying it
>>
>want a small apartment or flat with minimal setups because a minimalist
>everything in area is 2 bedroom/3bedroom has everything
>>
>>1032565
get a girlfriend
>>
>>1032591
>get a 22% fee that gives you sex occasionally
>>
>>1032553
Who buys absolut nail polish when kettle one is only a dollar or two more? Hell if you want cheap, Smirnoff is better and cheaper.
>>
>>1031749

This.

If a 20,000$ car is an expenditure for you, then buy a 5,000$ car and save 15,000$.

The only reason you want a fancy car op, is so the girls that turned you down in junior high school will see you in your fancy car and say 'shit'.

But a 20k$ car won't achieve that- so why spend $15,000 to prove nothing to no one?

When you have enough for a 200,000$ car, then you can splurge, because you're already set for life, and with a 200k$ car people will actually give a shit
>>
>>1032553
are you me?
>>
>>1032600
I think I'm gonna buy it tomorrow. Fuck it, a bottle lasts me more than a month.
>>
>>1032599
>But a 20k$ car won't achieve that
Which is fine because that was never the goal.
>>
>>1031727
Well, if you bought a $20,000 car a week ago, you'd probably have a higher net worth than if you invested $15k.
>>
>>1032624

Yes, it was.

It's ok anon- the whole reason any of us work so hard is because we like being, well, better than other people.

But a 20k car only makes you better than someone with 19,00$ to their name- who cares?
>>
File: shrug[1].jpg (65 KB, 425x282) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
shrug[1].jpg
65 KB, 425x282
>>1032629
>Yes, it was.
It wasn't. Keep projecting though.
>>
File: lasittunut_katse.jpg (42 KB, 510x570) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
lasittunut_katse.jpg
42 KB, 510x570
>>1031727
A car can be a great buy in a case your current ride is unsafe, or just shitty to drive. If you drive long rides, for example your job required, get the car.

Secondly, driving a car can be a lot of fun. So buying a 20-25k porsche isn't for a show. It's fun as fuck to cruise a Cayman backroads at summer nights.

15k for investing is so little just forget it if it anyhow lowers your quality of life. You'll get the 9 percent or whatever annually for that. And that's ofcourse a huge generalization. That's fucking nothing. It's a good chance you lose 50 of that for the next 5 years or whatever. So either invest big, invest in case you've got already the fun stuff or daily meets, or you really know what you are doing so you can actually make bigger profits. For most people this is completely out of question anyways.

If you're 20-30yo you've got something like 30 years to be healthy and do stuff, that's it.
>>
What good is all your money when you can't even spend it on a nice car?

I'm planning to buy a comfy used S Class whenever I have enough money to buy and maintain it.
>>
A car is a money pit. Other than allowing you to get to work and earn, it will only ever cost you money.

Having said that, driving is fun and many people are passionate about cars.

So the question is, what would you rather spend that 15k on?

You could get a newer, quicker car. You could buy some future financial security. Or you could spend money on whatever it is that makes you happiest. Whores and cocaine maybe.

Personally, i go for value. So i buy ten year old "premium" cars. When they get too expensive to maintain, i sell and replace. Luxury at low cost. The money i save gets spent on education and free time.
>>
Look up secret entourage car buying tricks. You can get a car and pay like 100 bucks a month if you finance it the right way and sell it a year later with like 2 years warranty on it you can still sell it for what you paid for it.
>>
>>1032667

Same, I paid $1k for my BMW 7 series and it runs like a dream. Had an infiniti before that that was even less.

fukken $70,000 when it was new. Topkek to all the dealership cucks out there.
>>
>>1032834

It's silly anon, to pay $1000 for a BMW.

When it breaks, you're looking at a 2k bill, and it will be soon.

Buy a 5,000$ camry next time
>>
>>1032836

>paying out the ass for repairs
>not finding a reliable mechanic who doesn't charge an arm and a leg who does good work.

I lol every time people say 'oh noes BMWs are too expensive!' More parts for me.

Even with a 2k bill, I can sell it and make my money back and then some, having only paid the cost of insurance and gas, which is well worth the luxury and convenience.
>>
>>1032851

tranny breaks, you ain't selling it for a profit bud

the only reason anyone wants those cars it to sell the transmissions to idiots that thought a 1k$ bmw was a good idea, so with a blown tranny,,, nope
>>
>>1032855
Lol if the tranny goes I can just part it out till I hit $1k, c'mon now bud.

>implying I would fix it if the tranny did go.

For $1k I'm perfectly happy running it into the ground. 1-2 years of pure enjoyment for a bargain price is a wonderful thing. Gotta love that V8 roar.
>>
>>1032869

Ok, tranny breaks, you part it out, get $1000

That takes 50+ hours of labor to do anon, it's not as easy as you think to part out the car.

For 5k you coudl've gotten a camry that you could run into the ground over 20 years.
>>
>>1032937
And the entire time you would have to live with driving a camry.
>>
>>1032944

So? Women don't care if you have a 5k camry or a 5k bmw.

They just know you have a 5k$ car.
>>
>>1032946
So who gives a shit what women think of your car?
>>
>>1032950

Exactly. Who gives a shit what women think? So why drive some stupid German crap to impress them?
>>
>>1032956
Because that's not why you drive a BMW over a Camry.
>>
>>1032959

Yes it is.

Man, it's like all those body builders that get so angry when you say "we both know you do it for girls, right?"

Like dude, we get it, we know, no shame, it's fine, don't be so defensive.
>>
File: shrug[1].jpg (93 KB, 384x313) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
shrug[1].jpg
93 KB, 384x313
>>1032964
>Yes it is.
It's not.
>>
>>1032964

You don't need a car to impress girls. I know dudes with no car and not even their own place who slam more chicks every month than I ever have in my life.

Also:

ultimate driving experience
>buying one to impress girls

Sure there are plenty of jagmos who go and lease a brand new base model 3 series only to drive it like a Prius and try to pick up Sally McSlut down at the club, but that's not why any sensible person buys a bimmer.

It's a fucking blast to drive, that's why.
>>
I like how you think a $20K car is an expensive car.

Where do you live, Nigeria?
>>
>>1031727
Its because we buy 20000$ cars and invest the remaining 60k
>>
>>1031746
So you are saying we are speaking to a motherfucking idiot
>>
>>1031727
>For example, buying a $20,000 car rather than investing $15,000 instead and getting a much cheaper car.
In that example, I wouldn't be buying a $20k car. My car cost about $10k.

But sometimes you just have to remind yourself that you won't live forever and your money won't go with you into the next world. Like I bought myself a $100 hockey stick and some hockey equipment because I want to start playing rec hockey. Could I have put that money into the stock market and made some marginal returns? Sure. But is playing rec hockey going to make me happier than some stocks? Yes.
>>
>>1031970
Ready the sticky in /o

Awesome info
>>
>>1032464
>a backup camera

Does your backup camera get you laid?
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
Thread DB ID: 399352



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.