[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the Electrical Engineer and Chemical Engineer bubbl

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10

File: ss+(2016-01-07+at+05.35.33).jpg (307KB, 1877x478px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-07+at+05.35.33).jpg
307KB, 1877x478px
Now that the Electrical Engineer and Chemical Engineer bubbles have burst where are all the hot new jobs going?

My guess is Computer focused fields.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/home.htm

All but one of these jobs are increasing immensely fast.

What do you guys think?
>>
I went into cloud-based technology out of undergrad some time ago.

I did it because I figured when shit is bad, software automation makes a good replacement for human labor. When shit is good, we can amplify human effort with software automation.

IT investment generally holds strong during recession because companies need to maintain operational efficiency.

I have friends who went into pharmacy and electronic engineering and they're both kind of stagnant. I'm in the Denver area making $110k and interviewing for a job ~$130k tomorrow. Salaries keep going up.
>>
>>1031273
What sort of Computer field shoudl I focus in then?
>>
>TFW studying EE

I'm doing power engineering which has a median age of 50+ in my area so I figure there will be a ton of opportunities.

Eh I have a top business school and was thinking about doing a master's in data analytics.
>>
Data science, robotics, automation, biotech, and neuroscience.
>>
>>1031261
Quantum Physics/ Quantum Computing, but you gotta have a PhD. Its literally 300k/year starting.
>>
If you are an EE you just end up doing instrumentation or some shit-chem you go run a water treatment plant and make the same money
>>
In a world where services can be done automatically by robots or AI, material goods will keep their value. So even if the bubble is gone ChemE and electric engineering are good choices (not compared to quantum computing, but all other careers that are mostly related to services, like psychology or whatever)
>>
>>1031476
If we had less of a population this would be true.

It's like my ex who went into teaching. She kept saying how there will always be a need for teachers, but she didn't take into account just how many teachers were available. Every teaching job in our area gets literally, no joke, 200 qualified applications.
>>
Considering doing Informations Systems this year. How fucked am I?
>>
>>1031687
Every curry and asian has that degree, as a masters . do Computer Engineering /EE
>>
>>1031261
Everyone is in CS or healthcare.
>>
Just shut the fuck up and choose a major or don't go to college. This is /biz/, not /college/. Stop posting this shit here!
>>
>>1031490
But literally anyone can teach. Most of the barriers are artificial.

I dont find tech especially hard but most people really can't handle thinking logically and attention to detail.

Cloud computing, machine learning, and data analytics will rise and fall but never really be replaced (at least in our lifetimes). And like accounting it's getting to the point where almost everybody wants it.

Econometrics and quantitative finance are the biz-specific versions of this but Google, the Fed, and Amazon are all basically running the same datamining algos.
>>
>>1031982

I know tons of cunts have MIS degrees, but engineering fields are saturated as fuck too, as are law and medicine. Telling me that there are a ton of people in a field doesn't tell me anything, nigger - every field presents the same problem. I'm just asking if I'm fucked or not (ie 'but lots of people do that too, anon' doesn't quite count as 'fucked' when it applies to every field). Give me a useful response or GTFO.
>>
>>1033216

If you're going to Harvard, you're not fucked. You're set.

If you're going to Iowa State university, yeah you're fucked

major matters less than you guys all think
>>
File: penn.gif (96KB, 1088x974px) Image search: [Google]
penn.gif
96KB, 1088x974px
>>1031261
>mfw I can study whatever the fuck I want
>>
>tfw ask all over the internet what good majors there are or what's worth it
>everyone says something different
god fucking dammit can you people agree on anything
>>
>>1033225

I don't live in the US. I'm not going to Harvard but the Australian equivalent of Harvard or Yale. What do?
>>
>>1033240

>Australian Harvard or yale

So people teach the courses instead of kangeroos?
>>
>>1033242

Here's some promotional material for the philosophy department at my uni.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA
>>
>>1031261

I started at a very good school to get a CS degree, dropped out and went into the workforce, then went back and finished my CS degree at a merely good school.

A hell of a lot of these kids were slackers.

I have known a few successful people since they were 13 years old. None of them were slackers. They were all like little men wearing the clothes of a 13 year old. They did not talk about the stuff the typical 13 year old talked about.

When I went back to school I was consulting on the side, I was studying beyond class requirements, going to office hours, computer club meetings, tech Meetups in the city, sending patches and pull requests to open source Github projects, starting my own business and apps etc. Some of these kids weren't even studying for quizzes.

People who go all-in on CS will be successful. I guess you have to enjoy it on some level.
>>
>>1033216

Bump
>>
>>1031261
every single job that gets spammed as the hottest job gets saturated within 5-10 years because all the retards chasing money flood to it.

right now it's computer engineering/computer science. what people don't realize is that the bulk of the software produced is shit that brings no real value. once there is a slow down in the economy that's the first thing people will stop wasting money on.
>>
File: 1387132744835.jpg (41KB, 241x230px) Image search: [Google]
1387132744835.jpg
41KB, 241x230px
>>1034086
No shit. So much of computer science is shit mobile apps and games that don't sell. Then you get shit-canned a year later and no one gives a fuck that you know ruby-on-rails, or Java.
>>
>>1034086
>>1034090
so what'll ensure consistent good employment? I want a nice cozy life, not to be super wealthy.
>>
>>1034096
accountant with a CPA. there are barriers to entry, mainly education requirements to sit for the CPA exam and having to actually pass all 4 sections of the CPA exam. if you have your CPA, know your shit, and work hard, you'll make good money and have job security.
>>
>>1034101
shhh
>>
>>1032015
/thread.
Fucking sick of 18 year olds posting about "HURR WHAT MAJOR SHOULD I CHOOSE TO MAKE THE MOST $$$?"
>>
File: 14507941961450.png (311KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
14507941961450.png
311KB, 640x426px
Trying to find any remote job with as less as possible of people conversations. It it possible?
>>
>>1034161
i know, i'm sure it's just a matter of time before the retards jump into the field and saturate the fuck out of it. i fell for the STEM meme and have a useless bachelors in mathematics, going to start a masters in accounting program this fall. hopefully i'll have enough accounting experience by the time the field saturates to be okay.
>>
>>1034179

I've heard IT is fairly insular and non-social.
>>
>>1034101
>>1034161
>>1034199
Are you guys not worried about automation? My friend sells software that companies can implement to cut their auditing staff by 60-70%. It's selling like hot cakes.
>>
File: normal.jpg (35KB, 172x200px) Image search: [Google]
normal.jpg
35KB, 172x200px
>>1034221
Independent little projects, but full-time job or big projects imply team-working.
I would like to do a simple 100%-remote job like entering data into a database for a minimal rate.
Where can I find this job?
>>
>>1034236
low level accounting work and bookkeeping can be automated, yes. but you can't automate professional skepticism -- what auditing really is, if you're a CPA.
>>
ITT 18 year olds giving advice to 18 year olds
>MUH SATURATION
you literally have no idea what's going on in the world outside of your bedroom

>>1031450
case in point, ffs have you done anything beyond stocking shelves?

>>1033225
>film degree from harvard
>engineering degree from iowa state
guess what the median starting salary for iowa eng grads is
guess what the median starting salary for all harvard grads is
>>
>>1034264
elaborate then, wise anon
>>
>>1034264
College is a meme, faggot.
>>
>>1034237

Become a transcriptionist.
>>
>>1034264
>>1034101
>>1034199
i'm 26 years old. STEM saturation is very real.
>>
>>1034237
no such thing. start a business or shut the fuck up
>>
>>1034288
What do you suggest for someone already in university, then?
>>
>>1034292
look at the posts i quoted -- i'm going back to school for a masters in accounting with the goal of sitting for the CPA exams and getting a job in public accounting.

engineering and comp sci aren't totally dead-end if you're smart -- smart as in you have >3.5 GPA -- and you do several internships or a co-op before you graduate. if you're not smart you're going to have a harder time. if you're not smart and you can't get any internships, then you're fucked six ways to sunday.

avoid hard sciences at all costs, though. a complete dead-end field unless you are literally a genius and can get into a top-ranking PhD program.
>>
>>1034275
>transcriptionist
Thank you. But I cant into english.
>>1034289
No, you.
>>
>>1034299
At this point, I'm just considering CS or even IT. Everything seems fucked to an extent so I'm just thinking I might as well do something interesting.
>>
>>1031398
best thing is to study it and see what interests you

you can study the basic stuff online and find work even through that. i was hired to SF from europe prior to college for $60K/year internship. salary is then doubled after one year of working, but i know there's many people making the standard 120k even without doing internships. as a foreigner you can't really pull the standard pay without doing internship first, because no company wants to go through the visa process.
>>
>>1034308
>>1034308

In a similar situation myself. I'm going back to school, but not sure whether to go into Information Systems or Accounting or what at this point. I'm pretty smart and hard-working (I worked 60 hours the week before Christmas) but I just want something that will put food on the table for my family while I study philosophy and history on my own time.

>>1034305 is me btw

If I could get a clear indicator on whether IS or accounting would be a worse move I could move on, but so far my research hasn't clarified that question.
>>
>>1031261
>tfw just started studying my chemE bachelor's.
>tfw I ALREADY have a co-op
>tfw I'm not worried about salty neet keyboard warriors telling me I won't be able to find a job

You guys think everything is a bubble and have no fucking idea what you're talking about
>>
EE is a growing field in certain specializations. When most people think of electrical engineering they think of power, software, or hardware design type work. So those fields get flooded.

In fact, at my university most of the people in my class are focusing on power. There are 3 of us who are doing something else. I am going into RF engineering, one of my friends is doing robotics, and another is leaning towards controls.

Also, not every EE gets a job where their title is "Electrical engineer." Most likely their title would be along the lines of "Control Systems Engineer," "RF Engineer," etc.

>tl;dr that image in OP is full of it because EEs cover more job titles than just "electrical/electronics engineer"
>>
>>1034317
see >>1033307
> People who go all-in on CS will be successful. I guess you have to enjoy it on some level.
same applies to anything else. now, i don't know about how practical international relations are, but i'd imagine that if you learn something there which can either a) save someone money or b) make someone money, then you will be fine without splitting onto IT too much. as i mentioned in a earlier post, if you are interested in programming, there are tons of resources online waiting you to read them, but i have hard time imagining that to be the case with IR

i'd just pick what interests you and find a way to make a job out of it
>>
>>1034333

That's the thing. What interests me is philosophy and history, and I study that on my own time anyway. There's no job you can make out of that because any commercial application of those disciplines compromises their intellectual integrity, and I pretty much refuse to go into humanities academia because it amounts to a rat race where you have a ton of taxpayer-funded bookworms jostling to publish plausible bullshit, make a name for themselves, and advance their political agendas. See: pretty much anybody that has been 'successful' in history, philosophy, social sciences etc, which are the fields I love and am talented at but are undeniably bankrupt as far as economic viability goes.

I'm doing a lot better than some people at the moment who are struggling to even enter a job though, so at least I have that to be grateful for.

I just want to do something useful that won't be outsourced to India/China or replaced by a computer.
>>
>>1034264
I'm an engineer. STEM saturation is real. Ask the Phds.
>>
>>1034350

Tell me more anon.
>>
>>1034299
>>1034266
what this guy says is true but phrases it completely wrong

yes you need internships
no you cannot get by on straight B's
yes your program needs to be abet accredited

typically engineering firms try to get into every university career center they can, you have to actively try to not get an internship in four whole years
also really helps if you're a white man
>>
>>1034351
Good luck getting an entry level engineering job these past few years. About 55-60% of grads never work in engineering. They go on and do the same Mcdick jobs as teh liberal arts grads. There is also a huge turn over rate after the first year in teh work force. A lot of fags get angry because engineering as a profession is just meetings, meetings, reviews of cad drawings, meetings, meetings, and writing shit office reports. The real engineering is done by the P.Eng.
>>
>>1034356

Would you say that also holds for the IT/computer engineering guys? I've got a McDick job (although an enjoyable one) and information systems management interests me at the moment, but fuck going to school for three years to be back at square one.
>>
>>1034353
If you're black or Hispanic then you're fucked. A lot managers don't like to hire them due to internalized racism. Some Asians get shafted as well. Indians are taken seriously if they would work below market wages. This is why if you're white, then you'll get hired.
>>
>>1034358
also curious about this, especially CS and IT
>>
>>1034358
Lots of curry niggers and chinks in those fields. You need to get top grades and internships/co-ops to get jobs after college. Teh problem with those internships is that their unpaid most of the time. A lot of college students can't afford to do unpaid internships. In college a lot of people work for a living, while going to school. Some companies have notices this pattern and try to remedy this with paid internships but it get taken by the same people who can afford to work for free. Also you can sue the company who pays you nothing. Its a labor violation. They hope you don't know this and if you do, then you won't get hire.
>>
>>1034362
you'll get hired if you're a white anglophone man because you have the highest chance of doing your job correctly
>>
>>1034368

>Indians and Chinese

I'll take Pajeet and Yang over Jamal and Ahmed any day. Although I'm white and would prefer to work among people of my own race, it's not my fault whiteys aren't reproducing and their population is declined. They need to either get to fucking or stop complaining about 'muh curries/chinks' coming over.

As far as internships go, I'm working full time and haven't got time to intern on top of studying, so not much I can do about that.
>>
>>1034376

*declining

my bad senpai
>>
>>1034370
Not from my experience. Most white engineers I met were fucking shit engineers. The best engineers were Northern Chinese, Russian, German, and British. Americans don't have a lot of great engineers. They're just like most Indians or Chinese engineers. In huge quantities but few qualities. I notice black and Hispanic engineers in the US are often superior in their work and ethics. I do see them a lot in the Middle East, and South America because they get hire by international firms. This is a brain drain due to stupid white Americans being afraid of losing their jobs to Juan or Tyrone. Most of your great engineers in the past were immigrants from Europe that were Germans, Jews, or Slavs. Not white people.
>>
>>1034376
The funny thing about Jamal or Ahmed is that their work is pretty good compare to the average Pajeet, or Yang. Some Middle Eastern engineers rival those in Russia. The Russians have the best engineers in teh world. They just have a shit government.
>>
File: 1450993162147.jpg (66KB, 399x382px) Image search: [Google]
1450993162147.jpg
66KB, 399x382px
>>1034379
>Germans, Jews, or Slavs. Not white people.
what do you define as "white people"
>>
>>1034381

You've got to keep in mind that economies that have literally fucking nothing apart from 'muh oil, muh energy' probably skew their resources much more towards training good engineers. The comparative diversity of the American economy probably leads a lot of high-IQ whites to opt for finance and other forms of Jewry over engineering.
>>
>>1034387

'Germans aren't white' is my favourite meme though. Next step is the 'English aren't white'. When nobody is white nobody will be racist and we can have government-sponsored KFC phones.
>>
>>1034338
I personally gone to IT just because I was interested in software. Though one thing which I've noticed is that after certain degree, you can create programs and services by your own. This is interesting if you have the business-mind, since one day you could create something which you might make a living out of. What I'm saying that practical programming is quite flexible and certainly something which does pay well and is considered hard to out-source. I've personally thought to do software as my day-job until one of my side projects kick through, after which I've thought to do something completely different, like teach history (I'm Nordic so teachers are respected) or some other traditional art which everyone would prefer to do if they just could afford it. I think you could invent something new with knowledge in philosophy and history using programming abilities and build something a niche product which might do income.
>>
>>1034379
I said anglophone not anglo
as long as they speak better english than everyone else they win
>>
>>1034394

How would you say the level of saturation in the job market is?

My undergrad was actually in linguistics (which I was fucking great at) so I think maybe I could end up working on programming languages, although I don't know if that's really a thing in IT (having people work on languages full time).

Really grateful to have the chance to speak to an IT professional. Anything else you could tell me would be much appreciated.
>>
>>1034387
What do you call white people? Most of those people don't consider themselves white. This is how I know you're an American.
>>1034395
Most engineers are educated and speak more than two languages.
>>
>>1034421
uh yeah, germans and slavs definitely consider themselves to be white, so do jews that aren't actually from israel.
>>
>>1034426

Jews are white when it gets them jobs and advantages, non-white when it gets them victim/minority status.
>>
>>1034452
that's not how it works.
>>
>>1034483

>he doesn't know about the victim Olympics
>>
>>1034397
There certainly are people working on programming languages full-time, but those positions are much more rare than say application development. One easily accessible public project of development of a programming language is Mozilla's Rust: https://github.com/rust-lang/rust

That being said, I'm focused on web applications, so I can only speak for the job market for those positions. It also might be that my public LinkedIn profile has the correct keywords on it. It also might be that my online code-portfolio on Github just shows that I can use the languages I mention. Anyhow, in my case the companies are the ones which seek me. Not the other way around. Its almost like the companies are drafting talent like some national sport teams, but as I've been told on numerous occasions, there is always room for a good programmer.

I've heard that many students are pulled from school to work before they have got their degrees, but that may just be in Bay Area. I also recall an article from about a year back from Microsoft which claimed that US should import two times the amount of graduate students from other nations to fulfil all open work positions in software engineering.

It all sounds like flowers and rainbows, but I doubt it will change too much in 5 or 10 years. For some solid numbers I recommend looking into http://teleport.org/

Anyhow, I think the job market is quite good. At least I get one interview offer a month without doing anything, but I know people who chose the wrong path (games) and are unemployed after graduation. Then there are the people in US who get so many job offers that they joke about it. It really comes down to motivation and location if you want to be hired.
>>
>>1034497

The last thing I would ever want to do is work on trivial bullshit like vidya games.

Could you break down for me what the major products programmers like yourself will tend to work on?

My worst fear was actually that games were a big part of the market and a default option for IT newbies.
>>
>>1034501
I work on pretty much everything what goes into web applications. I've got some experience in every field, which some companies label as "full-stack" engineers.

Depending on the company there might be many options to choose from, ranging from front-end (UI, UX, A/B testing, analytics), backend (API servers, application logic, caching, databases and algorithms) to servers (code deployment, load balancing and caching proxies -- basically configuration to get other's developers work usable) to mobile (iOS, Android). Some companies then have their specific needs with data (more algorithms, machine learning, "big data" stuff, basically developing artificial intelligence to boost sales) to something like growth hacking (marketing, practical psychology to increase sales and user retention). Usually the bigger the company the more scientific or research kind of positions they may offer (which still pay good, AI stuff pays above average of $120K).

I don't think games are that big part of market really, partly because they posses high risks (competition) and bad marketplaces. What I mean with bad marketplaces is that the software industry is in my view going towards service orientated world, where you pay monthly subscription fees for whatever you buy. It's better for the software producer because they get monthly recurring revenue, which let them buy food even after initial sales. The client benefits too because it lowers their risk, since they get to buy the service for 20 bucks and leave whenever they want. However, this payment structure is hard to incorporate into gaming (on mobile because of AppStores, on PC because of saturation -- I mean, how does an indy producer create something like World of Warcraft?) so for that reason alone I'd stay far away from gaming. Some schools may teach game development, but if they do, I'm very sure they offer different options as well, like web applications.
>>
>>1034501
cont since reached char cap
> Could you break down for me what the major products programmers like yourself will tend to work on?
For practical example, I've done company information data scraping using string similarity algorithms, advertisement management systems, importing and reselling of niche products in online stores and developing of AI to create sports highlights from livestreams.

I've been the sole engineer in all of these, so its not like that you would be locking yourself in to some field if you study it. It's more about your imagination to use those skills in practice and the willingness to research the necessary technologies to get into your goal.

Since IT is used pretty much on every field (if they are using Excel, they are using IT) you can pretty freely choose whichever problem domain you want to work on. And if you get bored, you can always switch your job or get new clients.

All in all, its very versatile field to be in.
>>
File: Happy nigrei.jpg (56KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Happy nigrei.jpg
56KB, 600x600px
>>1031261
>Get into ChemE a few years ago
>Don't find it very interesting
>Doing mediocre in grades
>Suddenly have several seizures and diagnosed epileptic
>Put on meds that mess with sleep pattern something horrible... two weeks before exams
>Flunk
>Welp, I don't care any more
>Fail year
>Spend a while trying half-heartedly to appeal
>Decide I don't want this shit any more
>Started computing course instead
>Enjoyable and way more useful
>>
>>1034358
if you have experience and go back to get an MS or Phd you wouldnt be starting at square one. You'd be way ahead of many others.
>>
>>1031261

I know people who graduated as Chemical Engineer. At least in their case, they are working their ass of at lab all day for a shitty pay. For sure it's not $96,940
>>
>>1031261
If you can, I'd try to go CS and focus on cloud storage/computing. That's where the entire market is heading.
>>
>>1035043
You on dat dere medicinal marijuana mang?
>>
>>1035043
>diagnosed epileptic

at least you get disability bux

right?
>>
>>1033236
>tfw ask all over the internet what good cars there are or what's worth it
>everyone says something different

god fucking dammit can you people agree on anything
>>
Will Maths ever not be a good choice
>>
>>1035450
>3,500 jobs
>1,800 math PhDs awarded per year

http://www.ams.org/profession/data/annual-survey/2013Survey-NewDoctorates-Report.pdf
>>
File: 1411062349478.gif (365KB, 400x328px) Image search: [Google]
1411062349478.gif
365KB, 400x328px
So where should I be looking for an internship or a job in terms of location? I'm doing computer engineering in NY but I haven't had luck in finding anything.
I'm pretty dumb though ;_;
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.