[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/biz/ I am going to be 34 years old this month. I have spent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: VOFGLX1.jpg (51KB, 600x625px) Image search: [Google]
VOFGLX1.jpg
51KB, 600x625px
/biz/ I am going to be 34 years old this month. I have spent my working life doing machining and mechanics up until I was injured. Now I am looking for a new career, I have no college at all under my belt but I a mm going to start this year. I am thinking of ending up in law school before I am 40, what do you guys think of this and if you were intelligent and looking for a new career at my age what would you do? I live in chicago and I am surrounded by educational opportunities.
>>
File: bDuhPHC.jpg (95KB, 554x625px) Image search: [Google]
bDuhPHC.jpg
95KB, 554x625px
Also what do you guys think a good undergrad path would be, I was thinking economics.
>>
>>1022865
At your age college isn't worth it.
>>
>>1022878
Why? I am not going to continue working the heavy lifting I do and completely destroy my body. I've already wrecked my shoulder, it's only @ matter of time before the rest falls apart.
>>
can't you do something more managerial or white collar closer to your field of expertise? Shop manager or something?
>>
>>1022892
I could I suppose, but I also want to do something away from the machinery field. I feel it would be a huge regret down the road if I didn't get out of this industry. Another reason. I was thinking law is you can literally work until your 80 if you want to without destroying yourself, also the pay exceptional from clerk on up.
>>
Not to crush your dreams or anything, but law is not such a hot field as you may think it is.

Never the less, it is your life and only you can decide what to do with it, so I won't discourage you. An undergrad education that matches your existing experience would do you good. Perhaps some sort of mechanical engineering and then go for the technical or patent law. I would imagine that law firms would find it useful to have someone with your experience and background looking at contracts dealing with things like that. That's purely conjecture from me, but it may be something to look into.
>>
>>1022900
Fair enough, but I would imagine you have a lot of value as a consultant of sorts. Maybe it's time you move to SE Asia and go help them run a process or something. I dunno. I can also tell you guys like clickspring on youtube are killing it and I think there could be something internet-related on the table here. But totally changing direction is a tall order, psychologically, physically, mentally, etc. The longer it's been since you sat in a classroom the tougher it is.
>>
>>1022910
Thank you for the clickspring lead, he's got a new subscriber

>>1022907
My dreams aren't easily crushable and I really do appreciate the insight. I guess what I'm looking for is to make a good living off of my brain instead of my back. Law was my first conclusion , but at this point in the road I am looking at anything, and would prefer a white collar technical setting doing something that matters. It seems a bit lofty an I'll thought, the whole matters bit. But being a cog in a factory is really mind numbing and I want my kids to be proud.
>>
>>1022933
*Ill thought out not I'll
>>
>being this naive after 34 years on this Earth
>>
>>1023349
I prefer optimistic. I know my boundaries and abilities, I certainly don't think it's something I can't do.
>>
Consider going into an engineering field, thick mechanical. That way your work history is an asset, not a negative.
>>
>>1023511
I will look into engineering I've never really had a problem with math
>>
>>1023494
>I know my boundaries and abilities

No mate you really don't.
>>
>>1022863

I really do not recommend law. Especially considering your age. I have a long list or reasons, my brother is a lawyer down here in Atlanta.

Feel free to ask.

But overall, even IF you had started law at age 24, it fucking sucks overall, the money aint what it used to be, and you'd be making like $50k a year for your first year or two. Law sucks man, don't do it.
>>
I've been a mechanical designer for 6 years... tired of complete fucking morons making more than me and doing nothing all day.

CQE is my way out..

http://study.com/articles/Become_a_Certified_Quality_Engineer_CQE_Certification_and_Career_Roadmap.html

No degree, just a cert. All but one of the QE people at current employer are fucking fucking dumb. Desk job fuck off town. I can do what they do in my sleep. $$$
>>
Your background, like mine is a perfect fit.... Why I suggest.
>>
Shame since I'm in the top 5 in the company as far as CAD skills. I'm worth way more to the place actually making stuff. And I enjoy it more.

Meh... Fuck em.
>>
>>1023569
You're right to a point. I know I'm capable of alot, and I'll never know all my boundaries and abilities until I put myself out there. Is there ever a way to truly know them all?
>>
>>1023662
This is interesting, did you do this? You enjoy it, what's the pay look like? Socializing opportunities? Travel?
>>
>>1024610
I don't know mate how about you incur hundreds of thousands of dollars of costs to find out.

Surely your children will be proud of you then.
>>
become a shop teacher-law is a bad choice
>>
>>1024683
I am hearing enough about it being a bad choice to reconsider. Back to the books.
>>
>>1022863
>I am going to be 34 years old this month
I am going to be 40 next month.
>>
>>1022933
Thought about engineering, if it's related somewhat to your old job?

Lots of different types which lead to a vast amount of different fields

E.g Electrical engineers can end up as traders (because of all the heavy math in the course)
>>
>>1022863
Yep, lAw is aids
I have a friend that has a double degree in law and business

He went down the business path because his graduating salary for his business job offer was literally double the law firm he was offered
>>
>>1022907
I would follow this advice. Having a solid background in applied and practical mechanical stuff can do well with a engineering degree. I would focus on this over law, but as the guy said, use this to go into law within this narrower field.
Just find a degree where you can apply your previous knowledge. The types that designed and worked on the higher level of what you worked on.
Lots of higher ups (engineers and the like) have no or little practical experience, giving you an edge, as some stuff just does not work the same way in practise as on the desk.

Find out what you want to do, to some extent. Then look up online on Kahn Academy or online courses you can take to start you off. I would recommend math, great way to get your brain starting again.
>>
>>1025054
Thank you. My eyes are opened a bit, and avoiding law. I am a bit naive to the professional world but no one has said a good thing at all about law. So looking into muh math skills.
>>
>>1024615

I'm in the process. Median pay just from online search is 65k.

One of the dorks at current employer has own office, pulls 75 and is next to useless.

Travel depends on what the product is.

Socializing... Well most people in manufacturing/engineering have dicks. I have enough friends already.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.