[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Every time the "stay in school" thing comes up, invariably

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: garage.jpg (320KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
garage.jpg
320KB, 1280x854px
Every time the "stay in school" thing comes up, invariably someone comes out of the woodwork with the story of how they never went to school and went on to be wildly successful. To be clear -- I'm super happy for those people! Good for them. At the same time, I treat that advice about the same way I treat the story of the cigarette smoker who lived to 95: that's a great story, but the odds of someone else being successful following the same strategy are worse than average. To any people of college age (or below) reading this, you want the deck stacked for you, not against you. Get an education.
>>
I'm failing college pretty bad right now.
>>
>>1021597
you can do better anon I believe in you
>>
im assuming people who made it by themselves didn't need college

everyone else relies on a teacher to baby mentor them to success
>>
>pics of man caves

So much cringe.

Seriously though, where are the tendie dispensers?
>>
>>1021590
it doesnt matter if you go to school or not, as long as you strive and are dedicated in your craft youll make it big

education establishments is just a framework, not a guarantee - there a plenty of people who attend college passively, thinking of a handout at the end, who become stuck working hourly. but theres plenty of people who take advantage of resources and networking in college that allow them to make footholds to reach it big.

on the other side, learning a skill or craft or climbing the corporate ladder IS education - just not in an establishment. these people, who toil day in and day out and remain dedicated do better than people who passively attend college
>>
>but the odds of someone else being successful following the same strategy are worse than average.

Too bad the world doesn't give a shit about the average
>>
>>1021614
This.

Averages really don't tell you much.

Take oil for instance. If the world's oil was evenly distributed throughout the crust (this is the average part) it wouldn't be economical to extract oil. But it's not evenly distributed, there are parts with very high concentrations, then many more areas with none. This is why averages a shit.
>>
>>1021605
Smart successful people don't care about follies like that, they could learn by themselves but they can do it quicker in university.
>>
>>1021667
Honestly the university system is pretty shit.

You can just turn up to the lectures even if you're not a student and you could get some grad student to tutor you for the classes and grade your assignments/exams (which you could get your hands on with not too much difficulty depending on the course/uni). Once you factor in all the holidays it's a massive waste of time. The only reason it's worthwhile is networking and the certificate. Unless you need access to their labs, the certificate, or the networking, university is an extremely inefficient way to learn anything.
>>
>>1021674
The networking is pretty shit at most universities.

Depends on what you're doing as well in university ( what kind of degree ) if you're doing a BA likely you're not learning much that is practical and are pretty much sitting there going through units to get a certificate to tell that you are not dumb.
>>
>>1021590
Telling people to go into 50k-100k debt so the deck isn't stacked against them is the most retarded thing to do.

Higher education is ONLY GOOD if you have a clear objective of what you want to do, that you know it PAYS enough to service your loan, and that it's something you're ALREADY passionate about

If you're even unsure of one of the above then save yourself some money and go with a ACCREDITED community college then transfer to a larger college/university if you wish to pursue your education.
>>
File: img_456345643.jpg (172KB, 1365x910px) Image search: [Google]
img_456345643.jpg
172KB, 1365x910px
>>1021607
whats a tendie dispenser
>>
>I can't figure out how people with no college opportunity are better than me.

I treat people spouting college as the heroine addict. You're life feels better when you're on heroine but it'll destroy you in the long run. Unless your family subsidizes you, to go to school, avoid it and figure out a better way.
>>
>>1021840

its a machine that dispenses chicken tenderloins
>>
I was fat
>I got skinny and I still feel bad

I didn't have a girlfriend
>I got a girl and I still feel bad

I didn't have enough money
>I made a lot of money and I still feel bad

I....
>realized I bitch too much
>>
The best thing to do is work in a remote area. Doesn't have to be too dangerous, but if you live on camp you will have no housing costs. takes a particular kind of person though I guess. I am a tradesman and I make decent money not working at camp, but I have to work overtime in summer and I have to buy a bunch of tools, which I actually enjoy but it does cost significantly. I make probably $25/hr, it varies from 19-33 depending on performance. apprentice too btw, but I live in canada
>>
>>1021597
>>1021590
>>1021598
>>1021605
>>1021607

Most degrees are just memes. Trades and applied skills are where you'll make some good cash.
>>
>>1021590
I'm 25, have an asscociates degree. I was about to transfer to a university but dropped it a month before transferring. I now make $100k in commission sales.

You make sure the odds are in your favor. "Education" doesn't mean getting a degree from school. It's about aquiring skills (everything can be found on the Internet) that will help you achieve your goals in life.
>>
>>1022166
>Most degrees are just memes. Trades and applied skills are where you'll make some good cash.

What makes you think Trades are less of a meme when it has a lower barrier of entry and people who are too stupid to grasp highschool-level Algebra will just flood it?
>>
File: 1451347441165.jpg (15KB, 327x324px) Image search: [Google]
1451347441165.jpg
15KB, 327x324px
>>1021590
50% of bartenders in usa have completed uni degree
>>
File: e2.png (6KB, 142x142px) Image search: [Google]
e2.png
6KB, 142x142px
>>1022214
are you implying universities dont have low barrier of entry if over 50% of the population go to universities nowadays. that's why the schools are flooded with 100iq average morons.

it's a complete waste of time, trash paper on the wall and no employer give you any credit of your degree
>>
>>1022127

One of the most profound and truthful things ever posted on /biz/
>>
>>1021590
I swear if you let that viper fall on the Porsche, I'm coming to your house to personally violate you.
>>
I could actually really use some advice right now, I'll try to lay out my situation as briefly as possible. Basically I'm extremely intelligent, and extremely gifted socially and verbally, and very knowledgable in some assorted fields. But I've been lazy as fuck in regards to school my entire life. I was always in the top programs (from gifted in elementary and middle, to IB in high) and have always been one of those kids who didn't do any of the homework, or study a second in his life; but always managed to ace all the tests without trying which left me with good enough grades to not fail, but by no means good grades. I ended up getting a deal for college where I'd be able to get into a good school after just one semester at a community college in its area, if I were to get A's and B's. That semester just ended, and I got two A's and three F's, leaving me in utter limbo as to what I do with my life from here on. I've never had any motivation or desire to do well in school whatsoever, but I've always written it off as just me trying to justify my laziness (like the "this is never going to apply in real life, mom" kids.) But now I'm really starting to ponder if schooling is just wrong for me. I'm incredibly motivated when it comes to doing something I enjoy, this summer I actually stayed awake for 72 hours and wrote a screenplay in that time that ended up getting me a 4000$ scholarship (which I've lost now due to my grades unfortunately.) My writing skills have always been off the charts, and I truly love writing. I've also always been extremely extroverted and charismatic, and have always prided myself with my ability to read and correctly respond to anyone I meet or know. I also have a lot of knowledge in psychology, film, acting, music, art and fashion; though I realize that's basically a list of majors for the white girl who intends to do absolutely nothing with her life. I've won quite a few contests and awards in writing, acting and film though.
>>
>>1022411
However, I really would rather be wealthy and indifferent to my job, than poor and a high school drama teacher. I learn extremely quickly, and feel confident that I could almost master any area I really dedicated myself to just using the Internet. I've never really loved biology, but I've always been fantastic in it and know quite a bit if that would be a better path.
I'm truly sorry for my ramblings, I've all but quit drinking recently, but I'm in a different demension of hungover at the moment. But if anyone feels like deciphering all of that, and giving me any career advice at all, it would be extremely appreciated.
>>
>>1022219
>are you implying universities dont have low barrier of entry if over 50% of the population go to universities nowadays. that's why the schools are flooded with 100iq average morons.

Much less graduate Universities, let alone in something like STEM or Finance.
>>
>>1022411
>Basically I'm extremely intelligent, and extremely gifted socially and verbally, and very knowledgable in some assorted fields. But I've been lazy as fuck in regards to school my entire life.

Same with everyone.

Protip: You're not as smart as you think you are.
>>
>>1022421
If true, you could benefit from not going to school. Just don't waste your time playing chess and debating on Ladbible
>>
>>1021753

>to go into 50k-100k debt ...

Man, im glad i dont live in the land of the free
>>
>>1022434
Yeah, I knew someone was going to say something along those lines, I was considering not putting anything regarding intelligence in my original post. I don't see what reason I'd have to lie on here, unless you're imply I'm just delusional; which is very possible. I scored a 2300 sometime on my SAT, though that was most likely a fluke and I realize tests like that mean fuck all when talking actual intelligence.
>>
>>1022443
Any recommendations on what to do in school's place? Right now I'm just leaning towards getting a retail job and working on my writing, but the whole writing thing might just be a pipe dream.
>>
>>1022445
>Man, im glad i dont live in the land of the free

It's not nearly the case for most people.

In fact getting $50-100k in debt is nearly impossible unless you study something like Pharmacy or go to med/law school.

Average student loan debt is $30k in the US and if you (like a smart person) get grants, scholarships and work during school it can effectively be almost free.
>>
>>1021598
red porsche on the right is beautiful, fuck man
>>
>>1022454
>Yeah, I knew someone was going to say something along those lines, I was considering not putting anything regarding intelligence in my original post. I don't see what reason I'd have to lie on here, unless you're imply I'm just delusional; which is very possible. I scored a 2300 sometime on my SAT, though that was most likely a fluke and I realize tests like that mean fuck all when talking actual intelligence.

Intelligence without working hard means nothing.

You can have all the potential you want, unless you make use of it, you might as well have been an 80 iq imbecile.
>>
>>1022469
That I can't answer. If you are unsure, school isn't that bad. It depends. If you have a clear view of what you want to do and the capabilities, then it's more of a calculated risk than stupidity
>>
>>1022481
>>1022443
any advice on how to find out what to do/learn what im good at? mid 20s some college, only jobs experience is social media which i never want to work in again.
>>
>>1022183
You sell solar panels, fag.
>>
If you're dumb and educated you won't be successful.

If you're smart and educated or not, you'll be successful.

Rather simple.
>>
>>1022776

Basically retards NEED college, smart people don't always have to. Although a decent degree is better than not having one in any case.
>>
>>1022776
>If you're dumb and educated you won't be successful.

You will be a lot more successful than you would be without a degree though.

A decent degree offers you a very nice life, sufficient for the needs of most people. (decent place to live, enough food, enough savings, 1-2 vacations per year and quite a bit of expendable income). Most people do not need $300k+/yr and would be perfectly fine with $80k-100k/yr after 5 years of experience or so, which is what nearly every STEM degree gets you.
>>
>>1022411
> I'm incredibly motivated when it comes to doing something I enjoy,
>doing something I enjoy,
useless skill. In other words you are not motivated at all to do something you find tiudious or hard.
Overcoming this will be the greatest challenge of your 20s.
I know imported Mexicans in college that have a sub-highschool vocabulary, and are slow in the head that pass college in 3.5 years and get decent jobs because they don't look at school work as something that is supposed to be fun. IQ means nothing if you don't progress
>>
>>1022757
>only jobs experience is social media which i never want to work in again.
I'm curious. Why?
>>
>>1022836
I just have no real passion for it, and have a hard time selling/marketing something that ,I myself, am not interested in.

we didnt provide anything very disruptive other than everything in one place

also the amount of money required to run effective ad campaigns for a social media platform can make one feel like cutting out the stress and just burning the money for warmth instead.

I found myself spending less and less time "IRL" and more time on the computer learning about internet trends, astro turfing, advertisements and bs "marketing psychology"
>>
>>1022783
You're right, that makes sense. I can get in a damn near manic state of productivity when writing, working on film, doing anything I get excited about, etc. I seriously get such a dopamine and energy rush in those times that it seriously feels exactly like I'm on amphetamines, and I just wish there was some way for me to do some mental gymnastics and harness that energy and put it towards something worthwhile. I've always wished that with that ambition I were able to just skip the whole college deal, and go straight into a career, as I really feel there's very little practical material for me to actually learn anymore. But I realize that's not the way our world works, and I'm going to have to put in some hard work that I won't enjoy regardless of my path to get to a place in my career I can be proud of. I absolutely admit that I've been lazy my entire life; so this is more an explanation than an excuse, but it really just feels impossible for me to find that motivation at this point in my life.
Anyone have any tips at all to help me such it up and stop being such a whiny little bitch?
>>
>>1023749
bump
>>
>>1023749
bump out of curiosity
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.