[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on the Open University? What do employers think of this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG-20151030-WA0216.jpg (24KB, 490x748px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151030-WA0216.jpg
24KB, 490x748px
Thoughts on the Open University?
What do employers think of this?
I think it is great.
>>
File: 1443074889387.gif (484KB, 116x116px) Image search: [Google]
1443074889387.gif
484KB, 116x116px
£5400 a year is a lot. can you go to a regular university while doing this? it would be cool to have two degrees at the same time. it seems i can't pick a program that applies to canada though.
>no robinhood
>no open university

why is canada so shit?
>>
My m8 did stats with OU and went straight into a nice job with it despite having 5 or so years after school doing fuck all, so it clearly works for getting a degree in certain in demand subjects.
>>
I was planning to do an open degree with emphasis on business, statistics and Chinese. After 2 years I go back to my home country since I am abroad right now and apply at a university (ranked top 100) for a 4 year degree.
>>
>>1019845
Because you fucking Capitalism died a few decades back, kek.

At least you can Laugh Your Ass Off on some quality W33D, dude xd
>>
Anyone that has experience on this?
>>
Btw, I can find loads of graduates on facebook but most of them don't mention their degree. People that have done arts and literature seem to be very proud however, advertising it everywhere in the comments.
>>
>>1019469
some employers like it, though tis more likely to be UK employers that have heard of it - it might sound like some dodgy online degree to people in the US (they don't have the same standardized accreditation for universities over there and so have some distance learning universities with very dubious standards)

there are other options - University of London's International Program ... perhaps a better brand name but probably the OU will likely offer more support with tutorials and better teaching materials

you can get into good universities for MSc/PhD with an OU degree if you get good grades... you'll find that some of your tutors are full time or part time lecturers at other UK universities... for example I had a tutor who also teaches at Oxford and was an OU undergrad herself
>>
>>1021003
looking at the careers section you'll find a bunch of big companies that openly state they will consider OU grads inc banks. Granted the typical grad intake at a bank in London is going to be Oxbridge/London/Warwick... but there was an OU maths and computer science grad featured on the careers portal who landed a trading role at credit suisse from his OU degree
>>
>>1021003
>>1021009
Thanks for the responses.

How identical would you say the international program is to OU?
How likely is it to land a good job with a sole OU open degree on the stuff I wanted to study. Would it be a good plan to also get a regular degree or to focus on OU? I like self studying more than the class room style education.
>>
>>1021093
>How identical would you say the international program is to OU?

the OU creates modules in a self contained manner - they will send you the study materials and they're comprehensive... complete with exercises etc.. you'll also have a tutor and can attend online or in person tutorials + will have assignments to complete through the year

the University of London International programs will offer you less support - from what I can gather you're pretty much self studying from a reading list of text books and some study guides then you have to sit exams at the end of the year

I'm not sure how likely you are to land a job with an OU open degree with a mix of modules rather than a named degree in a specific subject... I guess it does allow you flexibility to pick modules from different departments... if you've studied enough of the relevant material from a particular subject you can probably still be considered for post grad study elsewhere as you've still got all the individual modules on your transcript

if you're just looking at going for a job right after undergrad then I'd be more inclined to go for a named degree with the OU (or London Uni) as you'd have a bit of explaining to do in interviews re: what your 'open' degree is
>>
>>1021222
Thanks for the detailed response, I will consider a named degree rather than an open one. However for me it is about the content and how much useful things I can learn from it rather than the name.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.