[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /b/ think about learning a trade in this day and age?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: 1419375623309.jpg (12KB, 194x204px) Image search: [Google]
1419375623309.jpg
12KB, 194x204px
What does /b/ think about learning a trade in this day and age? I'm still young but I want to make more money than I currently am. I only get less than $800/month from disability and want to make way more than that, move out and get my own place, etc.

Would you recommend it? And if so, which ones?

I asked /biz/ but they're all a bunch of conceited asswipes.
>>
college is overrated as fuck. There's a big lack of people with modern tradeskills, for example the AMT program by toyota.
>>
>>596853708
So you're saying to become a mechanic?
>>
>>596853471
1. Stop taking my fucking money and get a job wherever
2. Getting a trade diploma requires hella $, something you don't have, so it's either you get a loan or you get a min wage job.
3. What do you collect disability for?
>>
>>596853927
1. No
2. No it doesn't and yes I do have money. I'm getting over $20,000 back from the SSA.
3. Don't worry about it.
>>
Hvac electrical plumbing. All pay well and get a ton of fucking work off the books if you want it. Honestly tho if you are on disability you can't hack it. You're not built to make blue collar good money. Get into IT and computer security. Stop being such a faggot
>>
>>596854118
What makes you think that I can't hack it? I'm not physically disabled. Just bipolar.
>>
We can't find enough CNC machine operators. Big milling machines, that translate CAD drawings (we use Pro-E) into tip paths. Good starting salary and big market demand. Poke around that area.
(Hiring manager, Aerospace Engineering firm)
>>
>>596854255
Do they offer that in DE?
>>
>>596854363
http://www1.salary.com/DE/Computer-Numeric-Controlled-Machine-Operator-salary.html
>>
>>596855367
Not bad. How does one become one of those? Also, does it require a lot of math?
>>
>>596854363
Everybody needs these guys. Solid cash. My best ones are 25 to 30 years old, have earrings and gauges and are hardcore gamers. It's a form of programming, so they rule at it. Good technical trade, if I had a kid who as not going to college but liked computers that's where I'd send them.
>>
plumbing, electrician or HVAC three best trades you can get into. all three you can make a shitload of money. don't do some pleb trade like carpentry or brick laying.
>>
>>596855615
Not a lot of math, more flowchart / coding. Understanding logic like you'd find in programming helps. Helps a LOT if you are good at visualization, can rotate a 3 d object in your head.
>>
>>596853471
im a HVAC technician that just started out and i make 800 a week here in florida
>>
>>596855791
How do you get into it though? That's my question.

>>596855906
Cool, thanks. Appreciate it. They've got a five year apprenticeship with the IBEW in my state for inside wireman. Good idea or no?
>>
>>596856369
Nice, man.
>>
>>596856254
Never done that before.
>>
>>596856511
Two entry paths, go to a community college or trade school
(example from DE https://www.dtcc.edu/academics/programs-study/machinist-training-level-2-certificate )

or the other way is get a job in a machine shop as an apprentice. That way you can earn cash while you get trained on the gear.

We get a mix of both.
>>
You can test out of a few years in your inside wireman apprenticeship if you are good at algebra. Its a fun job if you are into electronics.
>>
my advice is to go to a tech school and check out the programs. where i love they have just about every trade imaginable. they help you get a job to after you finish. just do whatever trade sounds most interesting to you. the best ones for money are cnc machinists, HVAC, electrician, plumber, and cisco certified network technicians if your into computers.
>>
>>596854219
>mentally disabled
arguably worse
>>
>>596857019
Wouldn't you have to get the Level 1 certificate first or no?

>>596857101
I passed it in high school. Got a C and a B in Algebra back then.

>>596857168
I went to a place called ITWorks a couple of years ago. Didn't stick with it because all it gives you is an unpaid internship and then you have to work your ass off to get a job somewhere. Entry level of course.

>>596857567
I know a lot of bipolar people that have pretty good jobs. I'm not dead.
>>
>>596857567
>>596857746
yeah you're fine, just fucking with you. Well done for wanting to become a trady and not becoming one of those insufferable arts grads who bitch and moan about their debt and lack of ability to pay it.

Best of luck
>>
>>596858283
Thanks very much, anon. Appreciate the advice.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.