[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any mechanics on /b/ tonight i bought a 96 cavalier with 260k

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: 666665555.jpg (109KB, 1761x916px) Image search: [Google]
666665555.jpg
109KB, 1761x916px
any mechanics on /b/ tonight

i bought a 96 cavalier with 260k miles on it. the owner says the car used to have a remote start but she lost the keychain or it stopped working so they disconnected it.

does anyone know how i can plug it back it i dont know where it is located, also would i be able to buy a new keychain starter?
>>
>>595620549
its has 260k miles. you're lucky the fucking thing isn't sitting in a scrap yard and here you are worrying about the remote start.
>>
>>595620741
Aha
>>
File: 1367561657081.jpg (80KB, 569x492px) Image search: [Google]
1367561657081.jpg
80KB, 569x492px
>>595620549
That didnt come out as a factory option. IF the unit is still under the dash you'll need to reconnect it, but its pointless because its a cunt to find a matching remote. Just look for a cheap kit on eBay that will do the same thing.
>>
>>595620549
Its BS. That car was not equipped with remote start in '96.
>>
File: reCax0G.jpg (71KB, 597x581px) Image search: [Google]
reCax0G.jpg
71KB, 597x581px
>>595620997
no they installed it, wasn't like that factory. but someone said you can get a replacement keychain remote is this true?

if i had more money i wouldnt be driving such an old car so i don't really want to buy a new one.

>>595620741
everyone is saying that. the car was own by an old man. most of the miles are highway. the oil has been changed every 3k miles.

its a solid runner, the a/c even works.
>>
What are you thinking buying a car with 260k on it? Wtf.
>>
Itt: faggots who don't own cars

Op, I used to own a grand Prix with an aftermarket remote start. The po lost the remote for it. I reccomend you get in contact with whoever you bought the car from and ask what shop they went to where they installed the system. If that doesn't work, just find a shop near you that works with stereos and aftermarket car starters. Odds are if you aren't in butt fuck Egypt there will be a shop fairly close.

Also, be careful if you have to disconnect the battery, op. Even though they claimed it was disconnected you should still be cautious of the risk.

On my grand Prix if you were to disconnect the battery and go to hook it back up, the car would start cranking by itself. Supposedly the kill switch for the remote start fell off (wtf) but if you were to step on the brake while reconnecting the battery the car wouldn't start on you.
>>
File: facepalm.jpg (13KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
13KB, 300x200px
>>595622144
Is it true? yes,
However you would have to find the unit, to identify the make/model to be able to find a replacement key, find how they both wired it and then un-wired it. Its not worth it. Again. like $40-$100 for a new kit on eBay.
>>
>>595620549

so.. here is a better way of looking at your life and priorities...

you bought a car worth about 100 bucks.

why would you put ANY MONEY INTO IT?!?!?!
>>
>>595620549
Master mechanic here. my advice don't mess with it you are lucky the car even runs with that many miles. normally aftermarket remote starters are the cheep ones and your ignition wiring harness is hacked up to shit to install it. you are messing with fire(or may inevitably cause one)by trying to rewire a rewireing job to start with.
>>
Why would you buy a car with 260k? The transmison will fall out the second you drive that piece of shit.
>>
>>595623192
i paid 300. i have already replaced the fuel tank it was leaking, the fuel line from the driver side to the tank, and return line. new front brakes going to replace the back ones after i get my tax return.

replaced the windshield
changed the oil with high mileage synthetic.
changed front tires.

was going to replace the pcv valve and get an alignment.

also the driver side rubber boot is torn off. so i was thinking about fixing the front end also.

bought the car for 300 was gonna put 600-800 into it. should last me for quite some time.

not burning oil, not burning antifreeeze.
>>
>>595623703
this summer was going to replace the trans fluid. the trans seems solid other than i think a trans mount is broke. when i go from park to reverse its fine but from reverse to drive it jerks alittle. my best guess is a mount either engine or trans.
>>
File: 2spoooky4me.jpg (52KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
2spoooky4me.jpg
52KB, 600x800px
>>595623558
me. cont but.....if you really want to have it working i will try to help you. whats the make and model for the remote starter
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.