[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm currently writing a short-story, one in which the main

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 2

File: wallpaper-71667.jpg (667KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-71667.jpg
667KB, 1440x900px
I'm currently writing a short-story, one in which the main character is placed into a world filled to the brim with old era (Think Fable/Skyrim for short, easy reference) creatures, deities and beings.

I come here in hopes of brainstorming some ideas on creatures I could incorporate, or perhaps even completely new ones some of you guys come up with.

Things like Necromancers, Lich, and Banshee fully apply. Things too "funny", corny, or simply too uninteresting won't be accepted (but still, feel free to post anything you'd like.)

To any possible future helping posters, thank you.

Edgy background pic unrelated.
>>
>>579631186
Add steampunk robots. You alway need steampunk.
>>
>>579631465
The closest thing I would add to steampunk type robotics are dwarven (or, because of how oversaturated that is, perhaps a new highly intelligent race) simple robotic drone type creations. Ones that aren't too complex for their time (unless possessed by magic, of course) yet aren't completely useless/unfathomable.
>>
>>579631743
Which is good, I hadn't thought about that type of thing yet. I think I will delve into that a bit, thanks - >>579631465
>>
A dwelf.
The product of elf and dwarf fucking. It's never been done before and you could write it. You could be the one. As George Romero is to zombies you could be to Dwelves.
Immortal, pointy eared little bearded midgets runnin around hitting stuff with tiny axes and shooting stuff with tiny bows.
>>
Also a fellow writer here. Fable/Skyrim eh? Hmm. Possible a banshee who's scream could burst eardrums but her seductive charm and body would overcome the men and women (if she wanted) and she's lure them into her small shanty like home on the middle of the woods where she'd perform her spells upon them to do as she pleases.
Another: creature: a feral hog, whose tusks grow to ungodly lengths that can be used as spears. Thick skulls with very few weak points. Underside, ribs etc.
necromancer: the old man who dwelled within the woods. Movin from place to place. Always looking for different things to cast his act magic on. He dresses in an all black robe with a hoodie and carries a staff made out of twisted bones.
>>
>>579632018
Why immortal? Doesn't an entire society of immortal beings seem kinda OP to you? Why haven't they overthrown the entire world and seized it for themselves if they're immortal?

I love the idea of hybrid, evolutionary species arising from other ones though. That's an amazing idea waiting to happen.
>>
>>579631186
I think your best bet would be to come up with your own idea instead of recycling shit games.
>>
>>579632523
I could easily write something with the Banshee idea, and most likely will, thanks. I also like the other creatures, the feral hog will provide a bit more immersion into a "new" world with different animals such as that. And as well provide lore for the ancient "cavemen" representative people in my world could have used for tools/weapons in the past.
>>
>>579632523
Good lord my grammar is atrocious. Fuck mobile...
>>
>>579632804
I said, for quick reference, you could take a peek at known titles that share similar creatures & lore.

If what you said held any merit at all the titles you spend all day grubbing your keyboard up with your cheeto-dust ridden fingertips wouldn't exist, had no one borrowed concepts from things around them. Quit roleplaying for IGN you colossal faggot.
>>
I'm quite enjoying this. I fucking love writing.

Idea for main character: the cast out of a small village (cliche I fucking know...) he carries nothing but a small dagger and a broken bow. Tall and skinny with some muscle but nothing over the top.
Another creature idea: I call it a Wisp. Lurks deep within the forests. It has no face and can't be detected or seen. Uses small vines to capture small prey, mice, rabbits, etc. the main character could wines this and possibly encounter a much more mature one capable of taking down small deer, hogs etc.
>>
>>579633564
My main character has already been written, but I'm enjoying your interest & will most definitely use the majority of what you post within the story(s)

I like the Wisp idea, I'll absolutely use it.

Also, I'm fairly new to seriously writing. Any general tips one could have will most definitely be useful & much appreciated.
>>
He could encounter a lich whilst going on a quest. Shrouded in a tattered robe and beaten armkr, holding a rusted sword and an old oak shield. When melee isn't an option, he turns to his magic. A globe type object and a book of spells he carries in a rucksack like bag. He's impervious to some spells but becomes more powerful depending on the elements that surround him.
>>
>>579633930
My personal tips are; don't hold back. Really let out your imagination into the paper. Don't be afraid of what people will think of it, but just write to the point where you are satisfied.
>>
>>579634160
As of right now, my main plot is pretty much this (summarized)

>Anon has a deep want for knowledge
>Anon finds summoning spell in an ancient grimoire he bought from a market
>Anon summons an Elven Demigod who essentially trades mystically imbued items for the souls of mortals
>Elven demigod doesn't like to be summoned, usually just lures people in to deal with them
>Anon tries to get cocky to a centuries old Demigod figure capable of obliterating him
>Anon uses a binding spell on the Demigod when the Demigod doesn't give him what he wants (knowledge in exchange for his soul)
>Demigod gets mad
>Breaks through the spell
>Thinks of a use for Anon before killing him. (Future main twist/plot arc)
>Lets anon live, for now.
>Instead of giving him a shitty item in exchange for his soul, Demigod tells anon that he placed something in his quarters.
>Anon finds dagger
>Dagger absorbs the remaining life from whatever being it kills, and adds it to anon when he kills it.
>Anon's struggle with killing animals and wanting to kill humans but restraining from becoming a monster ensues
>Anon fights with slowly being corrupted by the dagger over time, while a more important storyline jumps into place as the story unfolds
>>
>>579634430
Yeah, I have a very vivid imagination and yearn for an outlet that allows me to adequately paint the pictures my mind creates. Writing is that for me, I love it more than anything. Imagining is everything to me. The day that I stop will be the day that I die.
>>
>>579635046
It only stops here because I don't want to get too ahead of myself, I love structural preparation, but my best ideas come to me on the spot.
>>
>>579635046
I really like the dagger idea. Using it to gain the life source of other creatures. Small animals, then to people and mystic beings. Good so far.
>>579635231
The feels are real lol.
Idea: anon continues to gain power and strength with the dagger.
Soon he begins killing things like, necromancers, mages, etc. and gaining their magic abilities.
He can then remove he binding spell.
He summons demigod where the ultimate battle ensues.
>>
>>579632548
lol IDK elves are almost always portrayed as immortal, or at least very long lived. magical knife eared things that live in the forest until man comes along and ruins everything.
>>
golems, lizardmen, gargoyles, water elementals, cu siths, banshees, and skin walkers.
>>
>>579635771
Yeah, as his life goes on his moral compass evolves around the dagger and he begins killing people he deems evil. Over time, I'm considering letting him become an anti-hero. Force you to love him in the beginning only to have you ride along with him as he mercilessly slaughters innocent beings for his deluded hunger for power. Maybe that could be the Demigod's ultimate game, watching Anon lose control.

Also, love the epic battle scene idea. I'll probably do something like have the Demigod somehow get Anons soul so Anon has to train to fight & kill the Demigod in hopes of getting his soul back. Idk, just spitting out ideas at the moment.

>>579635959
You are right, but this is a bit different. There are dieties in all races, so in the way that there is an Elven demigod who deals in souls there could be an Orcish God who jerks off into your moms hair to obtain power. Just saying that there are all different kinds of things. But you are right, and exposed some cliche in my idea. Thanks for posting
>>
also guys remember OP can't bump, so if I'm not responding fast enough I definitely am in the process of writing a response so try to keep this bumped if you are interested
>>
>>579636473
You should totally M. Night Shamalayan this shit. He's the good guy at the beginning, but when the demigod gives him dagger, he just keeps killing and gaining more and more power. It's definitely a different idea than the whole, "and he lived happily ever after." Idea. I like the, "and he enslaved the lands until the end of his days, but only to have his bloodline continue his reign of tyranny and evil." But that's just me lmao.
>>
Fucking bump.
>>
>>579637048
Oohhhh I absolutely love it! I can see him now, once the dagger has almost completely sullied any innocence he has, completely driven mad from that seemingly unreachable goal of immortality. I could easily see the main character perhaps turning himself into a Lich like being, to not only life forever but be strong enough through mastery of the arcane arts to defend himself as well.
>>
>>579637340
live* Oops, didn't mean to do that.
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 500x375px
Nigga dis shit needs some space filthy funking orangutang shit all over it wtf u doin
>>
>>579637340
Yeaaaaah buddy! Totally turn this shit around. Make it seems like its going to be a happy ending, but instead he has an eternal lust and hunger for power. Also love the arcane defense idea. Keep niggas at bay haha.
Oooooooh shit. Another idea. Have the main character like in a way, become allies with the demigod. Oh cannoli this is getting juicy.
>>
>>579637727
Holy cannoli*
>>
>>579637340
And this would open up so many more possibilities, people attempting kill this tyrannical Anon. But there would be immense buildup to this though, the character is too smart to attempt to become a king while he's only about 17 & just got bitchslapped by a Demigod.

>>579637642
I honestly have no clue what you just said, I apologize.

>>579637727
Most definitely, I could even pull even more of a dickhead move & make him "snap" so to speak because of a tragic event, so that the readers are more inclined to side with him in the defense of mourning & emotional agony. You want to still sick with him, but in reality he's a murderous dick corrupted by delusions of grandeur. Also doing this, I could make it ALMOST end in a fairy-tale ending only to rip that away from you and ruin your day, haha. Is that shitty? Loving your posts, it's much harder doing absolutely everything on your own.
>>
>>579638221
Thanks man! Finally someone who actually appreciates my writing abilities instead of myself. And fuck no that wouldn't be shitty! That's the exact kind of thing that isn't common which would make it unique. Too many sappy shitty happily ever after endings, and not enough terrible and, "damn, I didn't see that coming." Type endings. To have the main character become corrupt and just a dark lord of unhappiness making the people he rules over to as be pleases is much more interesting and intriguing.
>>
>>579638819
I absolutely agree, and will most definitely be doing this.

(about to post something that will let us talk more about this, give me some time)
>>
>>579638221
Also in addition to the could be a fairy tale type ending, have like the demigod give him a chance to choose to be free or to live a life of murder with power and HAVE HIM TAKE THE MURDER. I'd read the shit out of this book.
>>
how about some kind of beings in the water that if you look into, something happens? think lord of the rings when frodo, sam and gollum cross the marshes and frodo gets sucked in.
>>
>>579638819
So, so far, this is what I have in the way of monsters & ideas with them.

Lich -
Anon finds himself hearing rumors of a Lich killing nearby animals ritualistically, and gets the idea that killing a Lich with the dagger would probably be a good idea. Even moreso, Anon knows that before this he could learn many, many things from the Lich

(continuing the list as I go, will update 1 or 2 creatures every post.

>>579639508
Perhaps some type of Oriental (asian) sentient-fish type being? I'm thinking of calling it a Naga (in reference to the hindu serpent dieties)
It could entice whoever looks into it's eyes from murky water into doing its bidding? I don't know, what did you have in mind when saying "something happens?"
>>
>>579639949
So, so far, this is what I have in the way of monsters & ideas with them.

Lich -
Anon finds himself hearing rumors of a Lich killing nearby animals ritualistically, and gets the idea that killing a Lich with the dagger would probably be a good idea. Even moreso, Anon knows that before this he could learn many, many things from the Lich

Banshee -
Anon hears mind-numbing shrieks in the distance whilst hunting. He hunts for his family, but his real motives are to gain the life-force of the animals he kills. Being the curious type, he carefully goes towards it only to see a Banshee is shrieking two fishermen to death. Anon has to then attempt to kill Banshee, perhaps he doesn't and this becomes a longer type "quest". I'm thinking that Anon could put mud in his ears or something, then act as if the Banshee is affecting him more than it actually is only to get close enough to gank the motherfucker. It'll mostly depend on how I'm feeling at the time to be honest, once agin, just spitballing.

(continuing the list as I go, will update 1 or 2 creatures every post.)
>>
>>579631186
What an incredibly original idea
>>
>>579639949
Sounds good. Upgrade to a much stronger lich. I like it. Also, another idea would be, like you said he'd be 17, have the demigod be like his tutor of torment and destruction. An whenever he gets out of line, demigod punishes him.

Also, idea for the serpent, instead of calling it the (no offense) Naga, put a twist on it like Nagath, Serpent of the Swamp. That way you are giving it your own originality. And she could say something like, "what do you see" when she looks you in the eye. Then he responds with yadda yadda, then, "come into the water for what you want." Then that's how she snags her victims.
>>
>>579640558
Eh, sue me, it's not like I'm planning on making millions with this idea mate, I'm just having fun creatively expressing something. And down to it's core, it's completely original. You guys are mistaking references for sole inspirations.

>>579640583
Once the Dagger starts corrupting him, the Demigod could end up being the "devil on my shoulder" type character. I love it.

Also, definitely agree with you on the Nagath idea. Much better, I also love the idea that they're all (or primarily, as it would be hard for a species to be all female) female.
>>
>>579640474
The banshee part could be: he hears the screams from afar. He moves in to observe, only to see a beautiful creature luring a fishermen into a small hut or possibly a cave nearby. Anon then moves in and kills the banshee with a dagger or his bow, whatevs, only to find the fisherman half dead and already deaf.
>>
>>579639949
A.) Lets say there are memories in the water, and a being that is hungry for the memories of people that keeps them. Lures them in once you lock eye contact or look into/for the memories too long. Could have your character needing to figure out something and needing to look to the memories of someone in these waters.
B.) Bodies, that lay in perfect preservation under the waters surface that talk to you and suck you into the water.
>>
>>579641021
Yeah yeah yeah. The devils advocate type shit I love It. Demigod uses the boy to do as he commands but also lets him have a little fun on his own. Creating armies and. Growing predominantly stronger by the day.
>>
>>579641419
I like A a lot. But B is too much like LOTR. It's a good concept, it's just that its already been partially used. It's up to the writer, just giving my 2 cents is all.
>>
>>579641724
yeah for sure, was trying to bend B but it just wouldnt really work
>>
>>579641135
Yeah, this could be the type of "quest" where anon tries to kill the Banshee with the dagger. But, he ends up having to bow it to death when he is heard or something, just to add that element where the readers know not everything always goes to plan. Then on top of it the fishermen are all fucked up, so it's a double loss.

>>579641419
Oh shit, I really like those concepts. I will most definitely take that into consideration. I am in love with the A concept, the B one will be harder to work with for me though.

>>579641421
That could be the reason he lets anon live, he wants to become some tyrant under the mask of Anon so that the Demigod is perfectly safe. It's actually kind of genius.
>>
>>579641927
God damn this is getting good. Another concept for the banshee would be: instead of an eardrum crushing shriek, she could be like the silver tongued devil. Or at least that how the "towns folk" described her. Back to the precious post: her face and body complimented by her seductive voice and charm over man.
>>
Bump..
>>
>>579642408
Yes, I love taking existing beings & altering them to change the outlook people have on them, it's always impressed me when TV shows & books have done that. (Granted this only works if it's done well.)
>>
I'm thinking about adding a character that hunts different types of creatures not only for a living but as a religious lifestyle, what would be a good race/name for him you guys think? When Anon needs some lore on how to kill a Banshee for example, he'd go to this guy & get books to research in perhaps. This will be really useful in the future, I can already see dozens of loose ends able to be tied up using a character like this. It would also be his good friend, so emotional character progress would be included too.
>>
>>579643103
Oh, and maybe Anon could kill this guy as a way to completely solidify the fact that the Anon that used to live inside that body has been completely corrupted. Like killing your own brother type of thing.
>>
>>579643103
His name could be something like:
Shivren. His stout hearted friend he grew up with. An expert tracker and good with the town folk. Although he can be a tad clumsy. Sometimes getting himself into a little trouble. Especially at the tavern where he might possibly have a drinking problem? Wink wink nudge nudge?
>>
>>579631186
You're a faggot and you will never be published. I know so many neckbeard/autists who do nothing but brag about the great GOT knockoff they're drafting and all their little beta friends tell them it's great and encourage them. So one day in class autist one was speaking to autist two about his great epic fantasy novel. Sick of his shot I turned around and told him I too was an aspiring novelist and would like to give him some feedback if he would let me read his manuscript. Shocked, and quivering in the precense of an alpha he handed me the manuscript. Read the whole thing over the long weekend. Was absolute fuming garbage. Made him cry when I tore his book apart when I pointed out the inconsistent tense and obvious plotholes. He dropped out. I hope he an heroes.
> mfw I'm an aspiring scifi novelist
> mfw I never tell anyone bc It would be weird af.
> mfw have ongoing correspondence with Alistair reynolds. He's read the first two chapters and says he enjoyed it thoroughly and emailed me a copy with his editing notes.
> mfw he says he looks forward to seeing my book published in the future
> mfw I know it probably won't be published anyways, but I'm a bio major and am doing well so I'll be succesful anyways
> mfw I asked a hugo nominated author for advice instead of /b/
>>
>>579643551
Jesus christ, I didn't read more than the first sentence of that shit. Calm down & read the thread, I'm writing because it's fun. Not because I think I'm going to have the next hit series. Calm your shit man, and sage next time you want to out yourself as an absolute cock because as of now all you've done is support me & my writings.

>>579643503
Love it! :) I'll expand on this in a sec, getting some Pizza.
>>
>>579643253
Eh, I think if you REALLY want thy dark entertainment, you keep this character until the end. When anon encounter the demigod, he can't tell his friend about it. Then he leads a life of murder and evil all leading up to the point when he does tell his friend and its like a stab in the back. (No pun intended.) and then HE can choose whether or not to serve with him and the demigod, or to be a servant under him!
>>579643551
Suck a bag of dicks you nigger. Nobody asked for your input.
>>
>>579643843
>>579643968
Youre novel will not fulfill your lack of self-actualization. And I thought the whole purpose of this thread was for input. Guess not. I read the thread. And it's all very cringeworthy. If I weye you I would we more worried about a grill finding this word file than finding my weirdo port file. It reeks of gdi betaism. If you lack creativity so abysmally you need /b/ for random ideas you shouldn't be writing recreationally in the first place.
>>
>>579644603
Wow, ever heard of inspiration shit lord? Sorry, spewing your autism only strengthens people to continue to do what they like to do because it gets you cancerous autists like yourself butt pained to the point where you need to be "le trolle master." Sorry kiddo, but graduate junior high first before posting with the adults. Also thanks for the bump dumb fuck.
>>
>>579644603
You got me. Man, your overwhelming Alpha stench is just making me quiver. I'll go hide in my closet until this 404's now.

>>579643968
I agree here. One sec again though
>>
As of right now, I'm thinking about background happenings to liven up the world a bit. Perhaps a few factions colliding over power?
>>
>>579644603
Oh, and referring to yourself as an "alpha" only proves my point that you're probably 15, heard about 4chan through his old brother, and is probably a kissless and hugless virgin. Enjoy consuming those sleep time pills tonight champ.
>>
>>579645413
Maybe like small time militias made up from surrounding town?
>>
Bump...
>>
>>579645565
The main character lives in a village very close to a main trader city, so perhaps there could be some political debauchery in the mix
>>
>>579644987
Inspiration? Like inspiration for op to stop sacking dicks? A tard is inspired to smear shit on the walls. A little intelligence is required to create something worth reading. I am an avid reader. I consume literature at a voracious rate. I know good lit from shit stained day dreaming bullshit were the beta author lives vicariously through the protagonist because he is a sperglord who leads a bleak existence. It's fucking obvious this is lit were the author cannot break out of the mindset the protagonisy is a surrogate life for the loser author.
>>
>>579646020
Hmm. Maybe someone got elected that everyone knew was a piece of shit, and that say he got assassinated the main character somehow got blamed for it because people have seen him sneaking around at night?
>>
>>579645418
Brother, you have no idea how alpha I am. But it's the internet so there's no point into getting into a pissing contest over whether or not I am an alpha, which is debatable, or whether you are a sperglord, which is made immensely clear in this thread. Let me guess you still think cargo shorts are cool and hip, right?
>>
Alright, well it's 1 AM so I'm going to get to bed. I archived this, will be coming back to it for some ideas later on. Thanks everyone, and to the 5ha3n9rq anon if you want to drop a contact method here I'd love to continue this sometime
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.