[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If /b/ had the chance to take a space craft in to a black hole

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 13

File: Blackhole.jpg (28KB, 846x352px) Image search: [Google]
Blackhole.jpg
28KB, 846x352px
If /b/ had the chance to take a space craft in to a black hole would /b/ do it altho the science is there about what would happen if a person traveled past the event horizon of a black hole there is no hard data on it

also intersteller thread
pic related black hole from movie

if i had the chance to pass the event horizon of a black hole i would do it
>>
I would go for it too

saw that movie on day one (6 nov), going to see it again today, dammit it was so cash
>>
>>578442113
best movie of my life
>>
>>578442113
shit son! DAY ONE!?!? no fucking way! youre the most OG movie goer ever. fuck man. day one?! that shit is so fucking gangster, I bet you went alone and shit too!
>>
Would not enter... Gravitational difference between your toes and head would probably result in you bursting into atoms. Foodabish
>>
>>578442204
Yeah, at first I was like wtf is this ghost bullshit this moive sucks, but as soon as they leave earth and in the second half of the movie I came buckets
>>
>>578441720

was going to see it Friday, but didnt have time, also the cinema had trouble "downloading" the movie (no joke) so people got refunds.

going to see it today.
>>
>>578442347
Go back to your basement m8
>>
Reality is a cold hard bitch. You will be compacted into a sliver of atoms on the surface of a high density sphere
>>
>>578442597
yes you might but you also might enter the 5th demention and wind up looking in a little girls room
>>
>>578441720
You'd have to find a way to make the ship and its insides indestructibre/incompressible and immune to gravity variations.
Plus, if the ship and crew could "Pass" the black hole, the ship would need Ansibles in order to communicate.
>>
>>578442597
In fact no one knows what would happen if we fall in a black hole, all we have are strong or weak theories
>>
>>578442791
Quiet.. you might get /b/ worked up.
>>
>>578442817
everyone listen to this guy HE WAS THERE ON DAY ONE! (NOV 6) HE IS A GROUND ZERO DAY ONE (NOV 6) EXPERT. Fuck, day one?! how did you survive? are you still a solid being or have you transcended into another worldly being that is a pure orb of light and day one knowledge?
>>
>>578442817
If the gravitational pull is so strong that light cannot escape it. Now think, what effect will this have on your body. No science behind it, just think.
>>
The acting was good, the movie was great at creating tension. The pacing was a bit meh though

The ending was crap. A massive plot hole and stuff happening simply because the plot demanded it.

You'll enjoy the movie, it's just that everything could have been tied up in the end better.

Go and watch The Prestige instead.
>>
>>578442817
that exactly what i am thinking i am all for theories but i like hard data more and well will never have hard data on black holes because not in my lifetime will any one or anything be able to pass the event horizon and send communication back to earth

but we can dream cant we
>>
>>578442817
The forces at work would make it impossible to survive. Point is, its not worth wondering about
>>
>>578442817
>>578442563
>>578442113
can you describe day one (6 nov) for me?
Can you also explain why you would go back 5 days later to see the same movie, are you going to sit there and go "wow, this is so mind blowing the second time around when i know exactly whats going to happen"?
>>
>>578443069
The danger is that our point of no return is not on the same spot as the event horizon, as we can't travel at the speed of light.
>>
>>578441720
I would. Thats the coolest way to die if you ask me
Every molecule in your body torn to shreds by gravity making you into a tiny bowl of subatomic soup
>>
>>578443249
show me hard date that are not theories

you cant because we have never even observed one
>>
File: bruce dick in son.jpg (52KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
bruce dick in son.jpg
52KB, 400x400px
It is seriously the best sci-fi movie I have ever seen. 10/10, am gonna go see it again for sure.
>>578443305
Why does anybody watch anything more than once? Because it's so fucking good, nigger.
>>
>>578443371
Black holes cause gravity lenses in space. That kind of power is something humans can't love through. Hell, we hardly can survive the lack of gravity in space and the radiation! We are weak and require the earth. Hard to accept but how it is.
>>
File: 8lsg2.gif (1MB, 250x272px) Image search: [Google]
8lsg2.gif
1MB, 250x272px
>shallow water planet.
>1000 foot wave.
>something with massive gravity causing the wave.
>planet surface doesn't even crack.
>mfw
>>
>>578441720
Actually I would fly right in there.
I'd be the first human being to die like that and it'd be awesome.
It sucks light into it so my last breath would actually take forever. Pretty awesome way to die even though it's kinda rough.
>>
/b/ is pretty much up for anything
>>
>>578443371
I dont think you quite grip the use of the term "theories" when it comes to physics.
>>
>>578443483
I didnt ask why he was watching it again, I will watch it again when it comes out. I asked why he would go back again, to the cinemas all alone, 5 days later, he was there on day one (6 nov) how can he even top that experience.
>>
>>578443528
show me the paper with the proof that are not theories

ps you can because we have no pic of a black hole
>>
>>578443019
Kek
>>
Movie of the year for me.
Might watch it again (although quite long...)
>>
>>578443809
once again, I dont think you understand what the term "theories" means in physics.
>>
>>578443809
>we have no pics of black hole
>not knowing about all of the gravitational effects we can measure
>>
The chance to enter a black hole?

I don't want AIDS /b/. I see where this thread is going.
>>
File: 050609_columbia_hmed_6p.hmedium.jpg (11KB, 423x270px) Image search: [Google]
050609_columbia_hmed_6p.hmedium.jpg
11KB, 423x270px
ITT:
>pass through
>fall into
Its not even a hole, the black disk is the event horizon its just the point where people watching would be like
>wtf he gone
>spaceship is kill
The spacecraft would continue to the centre being continually stretched and flattened until you reach the centre the centre is a singularity and you become 0.00000000000000001% of it your dead and tiny and thats the end
Doesn't lead anywhere there is no white hole from which you eomerge except your mothers coonch
Unless your a nigger
>>
>>578444091

>something that may or may not be correct but is unverifiable at this point in time and the foreseeable future
>is almost entirely math based and everything that implies

It seems he has a better handle on it than you.
>>
>>578442802
I got the reference anon :)

(I refuse to watch the movie, because in my mind it was 100002x darker
>>
>>578444250
now google "meaning of theory in physics". faggot. read a little.
>>
>>578444713

Just did. It pretty much says your implication is wrong whereas mine is giving you the benefit of the doubt. But hey, I know it's hard for children to be told they're wrong these days, try not to take it too hard.
>>
>>578441720

I'd give it a whirl.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
>>
>>578444140
Also this, this is the accretion disk am actual black hole. The forces increase so much as you approach it, its 'well' in spacetime is steep, that it would literally atomise you, and then break down the atoms before you get sucked into the event horizon as elementary particles.

The film is flawed in this part, the only way the black hole could have had planets around it is if it was a stellar mass one, but then it wouldn't be a 'gentle' singularity as described in the film, it would tear them to shreads. It is impossible to have a black hole that doesn't destroy you. If it was large enough to have a shallow slope in spacetime to allow you to not be spaghettified it would still have the gravity of tens of millions of suns, destroying practically EVERYTHING within several light years. You could not enter a black hole unharmed, ever.

Other than that, the film was the best one I've ever seen.
>>
>>578443019
>>578443305
explain me your butthurt, i'm here to help, we can make it through toghether
>>
>>578441720
this movie single handedly made me rethink my view on the universe. Im going as far to call it the modern-era version of 2001 Space Odessey
>>
>>578441720
when lincoln lawyer ejected into that black hole it rustled my jimmies on a cosmological level. one of the spookiest things i have ever watched.
>>
>>578444935
I just really need to know about day one (6 nov).
You made a point of typing it like it meant something, So I have noticed that you went to the movies one day one (6 nov) and i am paying you the attention you so deeply crave, so, how was day one (6 nov).
>>
>>578443305
actually it is a very complicated plot. seeing it a few times would probably make it easier to grok
>>
>>578445194
what part was complicated for you?
>>
>>578444250
What you've described there is an hypothesis, not a theory.
>>
>>578444248
actually you dont disappear - you freeze 5evar. it stops time for the viewer.
>>
>>578445181
I just said I went there as soon as it came out no need to all this waste of bits for this faggotry nor I'm craving for attention like the one who keeps pasting around day one nov 6, my little keyboard lion
>>
>>578445297

>implying a theory isn't just a hypothesis that hasn't been proven wrong yet
>implying simplifications needed to make a "theory" don't tautologically prove it wrong but since it's the current in vogue thought it's allowed to pass
>>
Ending was shitty.
>>
File: 1395916908544.png (52KB, 148x200px) Image search: [Google]
1395916908544.png
52KB, 148x200px
So guys. Lets imply we have souls. Like souls and after life is a real thing. With that in mind. You die in a black hole...would you still be stuck in said black hole never to cross into the after life?
>>
>>578445283
the plot. it doesnt spell everything out for the viewer like most other hollywud movies. it is in no way dumbed down. sorry but movies are like books, sometimes you need to reread them to understand exactly what is happening. oh but i am sure you dont anon. you have a photographic memory.
>>
>>578444875
yeah ah, youre pretty much wrong and your implication of understanding what it means makes you sound retarded.
>>
>>578445450
A theory isn't an hypothesis that hasn't been disproved.

Your second sentence makes no sense.
>>
>>578445582

>go to X to see how you're wrong
>do X and see that it supports my position, not yours and say as much
>nuh uh!

Alright kid, calm your tits.
>>
>>578445506
nope - because souls arent affected by infinite gravity. they has no mass
>>
>>578445420
are you able to form sentences and use grammar correctly?
>>
>>578441720
links to science that proves it. you cant, it a theory loke gravity and the big bang. we arent certain of anything. get your shit together you filthy casual
>>
>>578445650
two people have know said youre wrong. take a hint.
>>
>>578445621

I'm waiting for your explanation.

>>578445774

>two people have said you're wrong while being wrong

There is a fallacy involving being a part of the herd. Given your "proof" wasn't, take the hint.
>>
>>578442398
would you teleport? if you said yes then you are a hypocrit. besides you die in teleportation, at least in the way we are heading for it
>>
>>578445650
This is an excellent rebuttal.
I'm going to use this during my next debate.
>>
>>578445774
Make that three.
He's wrong.
>>
>>578441720
>>578442113
>>578443371
Gravity so strong light is effected. If you think that your diaphragm can still create a weak enough vacuum inside your lungs for them to inflate under those conditions, then I'd happily wave you goodbye
>>
>>578445554
no. I'm just not a retard that has to watch a movie over and over to understand it...
"movies are like books, sometimes you have to reread them to understand exactly whats happening". If you have ever read a whole book and got to the end and then gone "well fuck, I just read 600 pages in 5 hours and I have no idea what was going on" then youre a fucking idiot.Though you proved that by saying movies are like books and that you have to reread a movie to understand it completely...
>>
>>578445420
well said
>>
>>578445691
My grammar sucks yeah but I bet you understood what I was saying and have nothing better to do than arguing about my grammar. No jimmies have beem rustled anyway, try harder
>>
>>578446152

It's can be considered a strawman or ad-hom. It's basically an admission that's he's wrong.
>>
>>578445885
>There is a fallacy involving being a part of the herd.
not only are you an idiot but you talk like a looser.
>>
>>578443540
you might not die though, thats the thing.
blackholes are an area with a change in space, its like a door on a world that is frozen but this door is warth. all we know is they are not "normal space". just like ouside our shield, space varies. we know more about our oceans than space.
>>
>>578445885
An explanation for what?
>>
>>578444906
prove it, because you can not. lrn2science
>>
>>578446350

Aww, another fallacy.

>>578446410

You've said I'm wrong, explain how. Given you cannot understand basic English, both the previous second sentence, and the reply to it, at this point in time I have no reason to think you have understood anything that has been said and are in fact, simply trolling.

So, Explain away.
>>
>>578446152
no, I have no idea what you said.
>My grammar sucks yeah but I bet you understood what I was saying and have nothing better to do than arguing about my grammar. No jimmies have beem rustled anyway, try harder

Ill tidy that up for you you illiterate fuck: Yes my grammar does suck but I bet you understood what I was saying. Do you have nothing better to do then argue about my grammar? No "insert unoriginal 2005 saying here", try harder.
>>
>>578446091
nigger pls grow up and then kill yourself. movies are subtle works of art full of nuance, complex ideas and meditations of complicated subjects like human relationships and deep feelings. if you think they dont warrant multiple viewings to grok you are beyond retarded and inexperienced in understanding and appreciating all forms of art.

BTFO <3
>>
>>578445450
if you cant explain it simply then you dont understand it. just saying
>>
>>578443805

it makes sense to support the things you like by buying them/attending them more than once. chris nolan gotta eat!
>>
for the last act, it would of been better if we had scene when he's entering the black hole where he gets torn into bits of atoms and we're the audience thinks he's dead and, then reassembled to himself again, my 2 cents
>>
>>578445506
first off, you do have a soul. its your spark. it hold no memories. second if you die youre in the afterlife. unless you are talking about religion, thats fine but today i talk about science
>>
>>578446651

lolno. Do you have a point?
>>
>>578446651
what is quantum mechanics? (be sure to make it simple you delusional faggot)

your theory has been shat on you retarded nigger.
>>
>>578446730

That's been done a million times and it's lame.
>>
>>578443528
Bullshit. Man can love through anything.
>>
>>578446642
yeah, white chicks was a "subtle works of art full of nuance, complex ideas and meditations of complicated subjects like human relationships and deep feelings", so was zoolander and the waterboy.
Do you not understand that you said you need to reread a movie?
Also wouldnt me being able to understand a movie on a first time viewing, that you find too complex and complicated to understand without multiple re watching (rereading for your retarded ass, indicate that I have a much better grasp of "complex ideas and meditations of complicated subjects like human relationships and deep feelings".
>>
>>578446387
You would die though, the gravity would for sure kill you.
>>
>>578446612
Thank you for correcting my sentence, and see
>>578446245
>>
>>578446589
I already did. You said that a theory is defined as :

>something that may or may not be correct but is unverifiable at this point in time and the foreseeable future
>is almost entirely math based and everything that implies

What you actually described there is an hypothesis, not a theory. This is what I told you, thus demonstrating that your original assertion was wrong.

You then posted -

>implying simplifications neede to make a "theory" don't tautologically prove it wrong but since it's the current in vouge thought it's allowed to pass

That doesn't make any sense at all. All you've done is put some words together in an attempt to sound intelligent and that you've thought this out.
>>
>>578447071
bro bro bro bro bro get on my level. you have been schooled. go to college. learn to argue. learn to interpret art. learn the limits of your retarded brain. then get back to me on this discussion.

stop talking you stupid nigger <3
BTFO
>>
>>578447161
prove it then, protip you cant yet with our infant stage of tecnology. so we can go back and forth over something stupid and minor if you want
>>
File: tumblr_n4eyiegg2D1sgpd74o1_400.gif (1MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n4eyiegg2D1sgpd74o1_400.gif
1MB, 400x225px
>>578441720
>pass the event horizon
>enter new beatiful world
>everythings diffrent
>our laws of physics dont work anymore
>how beautiful
>realize CO is no stable element here
>mfw no face
>literally go WOOOOSH
>>
>>578447180

Are you being obtuse on purpose? Explain where the difference lies.

Again, you have failed English 101, it's making it difficult to take you seriously.
>>
>>578447304
He's not talking...
>>
timandericspace.gif
>>
>>578447349
lol 12 year olds.
>>
>>578447304
cant bro, im totally rereading too many movies.
>>
this thread is full of idiots who just spew dumb shit the heard with no info. just in right fuck you attitude.
>>
>>578447345
Please parse your sentence for me, then, as I'm obviously missing something. What simplifications are required for constructing a theory? How can one prove something wrong 'tautologically'? I'm not sure that word means what you think it does?

What are you asking me to explain the difference between?
>>
>>578447446
like a black holes mass your stupidity and insecurity is infinite.

BTFO <3
>>
>>578443530
this. I fucking love the movie, but can someone explain this?
>>
>>578447446
2 things, you can read a movie. also he used books and needing to reread those as saying you should rewatch them. but you are too fucking stupid a delided with a sense of "this fucking guy".
>>
>>578441720
you get squished. why would you want to?
>>
Are you people fucking stupid? The only thing that would happen if you entered the event horizon of a black hole is that you would be crushed to death. It's not a debate or a question.
>>
>>578447638
I CANT HEAR YOU OVER ALL THE MOVIES IM REREADING.

BTFO <3
>>
>>578447541
the scientific term for your mental state is mad. y u mad? be sure not to rewatch any movies brah.
>>
>>578445340
this. one inch you get into it, the slower it will look for the viewer, so you would be dead for fucking years and I would be able to see you fall into it.

fucking nice stuff.
>>
>>578447672
what is there to explain?
>>
>>578447732
>delided
what is that even?
>>
>>578441720
This is what you don't understand about astrophysics:

As you approached the event horizon in your spacecraft, time would slow to a stand still. It would take an infinite amount of time to reach the event horizon.
>>
>>578447732
it applies to all art. not just books and movies.
>>
>>578447929
and how do you know that? have you been to the event horizon of a black hole lately
>>
>>578447782
bit is though because we dont know. yoy saying that is like telling athiests god exists there is a book

fyi creationism is real if you look at science
>>
>>578447581
>What are you asking me to explain the difference between?

Where and how am I wrong?

Almost all modern theories require simplifications. These simplifications mean that they no longer accurately represent what they are said to. This means they are wrong; tautologically. However, since they are currently the most popular thought in whatever field it may be in, they are not said to be wrong and simply accepted as "good enough", even though they are wrong. See also: approximation

Your turn.
>>
>>578447732
oh and you did notice that I said if he cant grasp the basics of a movie or book by the time he is done with it that its probably way above his level and he should stick with watching movies staring katy perry and books with pictures.
>>
>>578447929
if time was stretched, you'd be destroyed along with the matter "time" could be defined across. i bet it would hurt and you wouldn't be able to pay attention once you were stretched a million times long
>>
>>578447890
if yoy couldnt figure it out you arent smart enough to be a part of the convo
>>
>>578447784
god you are so stupid. i never even said that i read movies. i said you have to re watch movies to understand them fully - just like you have to reread good books. maybe you should reread what i said. kek.

ever get the feeling that i am smarter than you? if you dont. we have identified your problem.
>>
>>578441720
>if i had the chance to pass the event horizon of a black hole i would do it
Great. And then we would have conclusive evidence that if you pass into a black hole, you are never heard from again. There's no way for you to transmit data out, no escape, nothing. You will simply be incapable of delivering what you find, even if you manage not to be destroyed on an atomic level.
>>
>>578448142
I always thought tautologically means a universal truth.... Not that it so wrong that its right.
>>
>>578448323
time isnt real. gtfo with your kindergarden science
>>
>>578441720
It would never be like it was in the movie!
>>
>>578448117
First of all, your grammar, capitalization, and punctuation nonchalance make it difficult to take you seriously.

Anyway, allow me to clarify further.

The science of astrophysics is aware of these things called black holes. There they are, we basically know what they are, and they're a strange phenomenon, so you know what? Maybe there are some weird things about them we're unaware of.

But that's no excuse to actually believe something fucking stupid, like "oh, they're weird, and no one's ever been to one, so maybe they're the gateway to another dimension!"

Not even REMOTELY plausible.

Your logic is so fucking stupid it makes me physically exhausted. It's like saying "well no one's ever been to a star before, so how do we know they'd burn up?"

BECAUSE THEY'RE GIANT FUCKING BALLS OF INTENSE FLAMING HEAT.
>>
>>578447782

You are not crushed, you are stretched.

Before you slam others for being 'stupid' you might want to take a shot at educating yourself before you go and vomit up nonsense.
>>
>>578448049
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/slowing-time-to-a-standstill-with-relativity.html
>>578448323
I was entertaining Op's premise that some how the person in this hypothetical were immune to the crushing effects of gravity.
>>
>>578448271
OH MY GOD STEVEN FUCKIN' HAWKING BROWSES /B

I would rewatch many movies, reread many books and listen over and over again lots of songs not just because 'I dididn't understood' buy cause they are just very good
>>
all these idiots trying to sound smart. i know theybare from reddit, its,quite,obvious. though their their intelligence is lacking so they cant use a site that would question them were they cant reply with useless dribble. get you shit together anons
>>
>>578448142
It's already been demonstrated that you're wrong. Your description of theory was wrong, you describes an hypothesis.

The 'simplifications' you're describing happen after the construction of a theory in order to explain them to people like yourself; so you can have a basic understanding of what's going on without having to strain your brain with the actual science.

A theory is a model which accurately reflects observation of the universe, arrived at by amassing a wealth of evidence through repeated testing. For instance, the theory of gravity is a theory, while most of what we 'know' about black holes is hypothesis.

You really also out to check the meaning of tautology and find the word you're actually looking for, as what you're saying continues to make no sense.
>>
>>578448398
no you said - movies are like books, sometimes you need to reread them to understand exactly what is happening.
see >>578445554
not - you have to re watch movies to understand them fully - just like you have to reread good books.
If you cant remember what youre saying just scroll up a little you fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>578448572
The point is, you overly meticulous faggot, you'd be dead. Nothing bizarre or weird worth knowing about specifically would happen, other than you'd be dead.
>>
>>578448510
stopped,reading when you complained about meaningless shit. but hey anything you can,do to look better online anonymously huh? my feeling lol fucking faggots
>>
>>578446860
"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."
I think Feynman had a better understanding than any of us and even he admitted that he didn't really understand it
>>
>>578448626
what's /B?
>>
>>578448510
>meaningless
>basic writing skills

Hey, whatever faggot. If you think it's meaningless, go make a career of writing that way in....well any field that involves writing whatsoever.
>>
>>578448687
this fucking guy knows EXACTLY whats up.
>>
>>578448478
Tautology in logic is a statement consisting of two facts, one of which will be true in any instance.

In language it means redundant words, essentially.
>>
>>578445340
>Speculating the effects of event horizon gravity
>using Stephen hawking speculation
>listening to invelids
>>
>>578443130

how was the ending loose?

sure, it was a bit anti-climatic when he submerged himself into the bathtub. But at that point, everyone knew he wanted to die. What would you do if you were the last one?
>>
>>578441720
Saw it yestarday, holy shit that movie was long.
>>
>>578449010
well i had a bit of it right :D
>>
Also i notice nobody has actually mentioned Time Dilation, it's been implied but not actually stated. The parts of you closest to the singularity would be attracted so vastly differently then the parts furthest away due to the changing of the time scale that you would literally be unable to think. Your frontal lobe would reach near infinite distance from your cerebral cortex so that the act of thinking would not be possible
>>
>>578448701
Oh come on, for fuck's sake. Reread the sentence yourself. It's a separate clause.

Movies are like books, (note the comma) you have to reread them (books) etc. In the second clause he is describing the books, not the movies. The first clause sets up the second as an analogy.
>>
>>578448687
>It's already been demonstrated that you're wrong. Your description of theory was wrong, you describes an hypothesis.

You keep saying this but not explaining it.

>The 'simplifications' you're describing happen after the construction of a theory

Incorrect, most often it is done such that the mathematics involved are more manageable see: Navier-Stokes

>A theory is a model which accurately reflects observation of the universe, arrived at by amassing a wealth of evidence through repeated testing

So a hypothesis that hasn't been proven wrong yet. If it were anything but a hypothesis it would be called a fact, not a theory. Another way to say it is a theory is a hypothesis that with current testing methods/knowledge has not been falsified (or it has and we make caveats [exceptions] because we don't have anything better)

Nice try, kid. Now fuck off.
>>
>>578449250
Moreso than the other guy, yeah. I'm just trying to be helpful.
>>
>>578448687
"For instance, the theory of gravity is a theory"
Boom. People learn thissss.
>>
>>578449351
I've explained it many times at this point. You're clearly incapable of taking it in.

Simply restating your erroneous views doesn't make them correct.
>>
>>578449351
>theory is a hypothesis
A hypothesis is either a suggested explanation for an observable phenomenon, or a reasoned prediction of a possible causal correlation among multiple phenomena. In science, a theory is a tested, well-substantiated, unifying explanation for a set of verified, proven hypotheses. A theory is always backed by evidence; a hypothesis is only a suggested possible outcome, and is testable and falsifiable.
rekt.
>>
>>578441720

Saw that movie 3d ago. Do go if you have the tiniest basic knowledge when it comes to physics. This movie is huge piece of bullshit.
For fuck's sake, I wonder why do every SF director have to put the word "tesseract" the most stupid and inappropriate way
>>
>>578447672
1)The black hole is super massive, meaning the tidal forces near the event horizon are manageable. Thus the close and far sides of an orbiting object would be experiencing a similar gravitational pull from the black hole.
2) The math has been done to show that being outside of the event horizon a certain distance provides the needed gravitational dilation to "slow" time enough for the movie's plot.
3)Something orbiting the black hole would essentially be "free-falling" and not feel the effects of the tremendous amount of gravity that is being imposed on the planet.
4) The planet would need to be orbiting the black hole at a tremendous speed. I have no idea at what speed, but it's probably far short of c so I wouldn't worry about any added time dilation. As for the centripetal forces imposed on the planet, that is cancelled by the gravitational pull of the black hole, hence the orbit. This would mean the worm hole is orbiting as well, and we know worm holes can orbit because that's what it's doing next to Saturn.
>>
>>578449564
Please, educate yourself before shitposting on the internet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract
>>
>>578449351
also, under that logic, is gravity a theory or a fact?
>>
>>578449547
Hey are you going to watch this movie again?
>>
>>578449540

You have explained your position once. And were then shown to be wrong. Simply restating your erroneous views does not make them correct.

>>578449547

Many hypothesis fit the exact same criteria but they aren't called theories until they become the current in vogue thought in whatever community they belong to.

>>578449818

>begging the question fallacy
>>
>>578449818
A scientific fact is
>any observation that has been repeatedly confirmed and accepted as true

So the effect that we have observed, that things fall toward the center of the earth and large bodies in space have "pulling" effects on other bodies would be a fact. Gravity is the theory of what that observation is.
>>
>>578449547
>says a theory in a well substantiated hypothesis in so many words
hahahahaahahahahahahaha, good job proving that other guy right
>>
>robots in the movie sounded exactly like humans, even had audibly evident breath sounds in their lines
>astronauts decided to send a probe into a black hole as if they'd actually hear from it again
>spinning a spacecraft with thrusters that of which the axis of rotation is perfectly aligned with the docking hole, as if somehow built exactly to be able to dock a spinning-out-of-control station one day by some daring idiot
>cheap space suits in the future without the capability of anti-fogging visors
>sleep chambers you just crawl into that are filled with magic water that puts you to sleep with no agent being injected into your body
Shall I continue
>>
>>578450180
*En-vogue*

I haven't yet been shown to be incorrect. Directly quoting me when I quite clearly didn't restate anything makes you look like an idiot.

You're claim about hypotheses is also wrong.

Also, that isn't 'begging the question.'

If you guys are going to throw out a bunch of logical fallacy claims, you probably ought to look them up first to make sure you're not using the wrong one.
>>
>>578450180
I like how its all about people thinking a like with you. Like youre some physics lone wolf, out there spouting the gritty truth, but really, youre just some idiot that has it wrong. Thats cool dude, the other guy in here says the same shit I do and I know I'm right and I know hes right. You go on with your good little self thinking the wrong things and swearing till youre black and blue in the face that its right and I will go on my own way and actually understand things that people say. Good luck!
>>
>>578450674

>doesn't include what I have shown to be true
>not begging the question

Wrong again.

>>578450704

>proven wrong
>nuh-uh!

Like I've said before. It's really hard being a child these days. Always being coddled and thinking you're right to the point when it's shown you aren't you just can't handle it.
>>
>>578450402
>says a theory *is* a well substantiated hypothesis, in so many words.
why yes, it is, imagine that. That with testing and retesting, collection of data and it becoming a well know and proven thing that a hypothesis becomes a theory.Good for you! You almost grasped it!!
>>
ITT: 'experts'
>>
>>578450649
>going to a new planet that has already been visited yet never heard back from by the original first astronaut and deciding that its still worth your life to give it another check
>going to numerous new worlds and not at least bringing back a jar of dirt from one to test for life when there is more time later
>tidal waves in the middle of an ocean but there is no shore to be seen anywhere
>>
>>578450674

Also, what does "vogue" mean? What does "in" mean? Grasping at straws.
>>
>>578451094

Proven becomes a fact, not a theory. As he pointed out, a well substantiated hypothesis is still a hypothesis, regardless of whether it's called a theory or not.
>>
>>578451002
why is being called a kid/child an insult? Also why would being coddled make my life harder, wouldn't it make it easier, isnt that the point?
>>
>>578451002
I was asking a question you moron.

Do they not teach this stuff in schools nowadays or have you just not got to that bit yet?

Begging the question is a form of circular reasoning. How was he guilty of it with that question?
>>
>>578441720
Get me some Pizza Hut from 2024.
>>
>>578451002
>>578451268
can I find the answer in vogue, I think my mum has a few copies.
>>
>>578451241
>hurt durr it's "it's only a theory"
ITT not understanding scientific terminology
>>
>>578451136
You two have both used the term 'in vogue'. The term is 'en-vogue.' It's French.

It was a separate point.
>>
>>578451337
question fallacy
>green text to try and show oldfag status
use of word fallacy again
>more green text
calls you a kid/child as if being younger than him is the worst insult in the world.
>>
>>578451337
He was asking a question, rather.
>>
>>578449547
I would argue that a hypothesis can also have been tested, but not accepted by the scientific community yet. Case in point: It often takes more than a single test for something to reach the status of theory.

>>578451241
Incorrect, in the scientific community a theory is the highest model of the universe that exists. "Facts" are the repeated observations that make up those theories.
>>
>>578451685
Yeah, I kind of skipped over that bit given I'm in my thirties.
>>
>>578451501
thats how this whole retarded thing started an hour ago.
>>
>>578451779
Thats why im saying it needs to be a tested, well-substantiated, unifying explanation for a set of verified, proven hypotheses. Not just one thats been tested a bit and not confirmed, that is a hypotheses.
>>
>>578451337

>i'm the moron but you're the one that doesn't understand/can't see the fallacy

If you do not include all possible answers then you have assumed the solution. i.e. you have begged the question.

Uh huh, right.

>>578451268

It points out that you do not have the faculties to be attempting whatever you are at the level you are. Being coddled is seen as a bad thing in this instance because it encourages childishness well beyond childhood.

>>578451448

Vogue

ftfy

>>578451501

>not understanding scientific principle and thinking terminology trumps it

>>578451581

The French phrase is "en-vogue", "in vogue" means the same thing.

http://grammarist.com/usage/in-vogue-en-vogue/
>>
>>578451115
My understanding is that her constant thumbs up messages were being replayed in a loop because of the black hole. Since she was there for only a few minutes based on the time dilation.

Also, I thought that since the planet was so near the black hole, the tidal forces covered the land mass with water, hence the only foot or so that they were walking on.
>>
File: 1414694901415.gif (2MB, 398x246px) Image search: [Google]
1414694901415.gif
2MB, 398x246px
>>
>>578441720

We'd all get shredded to pieces.
>>
>>578451779
>>578451782
at least theres two other people here that have a clue about this shit. everyone else is retarded.
>>
>>578446967
>be me
>upset my partner a billion times (like, real bad)
>She's a cunt sometimes
>still love each other

She loved me even when I got drunk, touched some other girl, came home, yacked everywhere, and then cried immensely.

Love, man.
>>
>>578452073
>>not understanding scientific principle and thinking terminology trumps it
Says the person that thinks you can "prove" anything in the scientific community enough for any theory to ever be considered a fact.
>>
>>578452302

>misusing terminology to argue terminology

Good job.
>>
>>578452384
>Thinking that's not what you've been doing the entire thread.
>>
>>578452073
>It points out that you do not have the faculties to be attempting whatever you are at the level you are.
English fallacies.
Also, you need to look up what coddled actually means. I'm a chef and I still knew what both meanings are.
>>
>>578452073
>i'm the moron but you're the one that doesn't understand/can't see the fallacy

Indeed.
>>
The radiation from the accretion disk would fry your ass before you got close to the event horizon anyway. Good luck niggas.
>>
>>57844239

you'll be already dead, before reaching the event horizon, from x-ray radiations
>>
>>578452073
What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? Seems you're just butthurt because you can't understand basic words.
>>
>>578452543
Imagine being friends with this guy or even just trying to have a conversation with him face to face. If someone said the word fallacy to me over and over in a conversation I would just walk away.
>>
>>578452501

I haven't, as my posts in this thread has shown. Perhaps you should read them.

>>578452543

>agreeing that you're wrong but the other guy is the moron

Welp, good to know I won that one. 1 down 2 to go.

>>578452521

I know what coddled means. I even explained the typically outcome of such and why it is bad. Do you have a point to make or are you just attempting to muddy the waters again?
>>
>>578452543
Damn, i meant to only copy 'I'm the moron.' Now I look silly.

It's still not begging the question. Also, what other possible answers are there that he didn't list?

The terminology people are talking about is the word 'theory' in a scientific context. You clearly have no idea what it means in that context, as you've demonstrated as much by consistently misdefining it.

Lastly, I wouldn't trust an American website's claims about grammar, syntax or word meanings.
>>
>>578452939
See
>>578452964
>>
>>578452939
welp i guess im just typically the outcome to fallacy the muddy waters
>green text
>>
>>578448687
Actually, the theory of gravity isn't' a theory. It is a law. It's actually called 'The Law of Gravity'. You are holding theories up to the highest esteem, when they are actually the middle ground. Laws are the highest standard. Theories are in-between laws and hypothesis.
>>
>>578452964
>It's still not begging the question

>shown to be begging the question
>somehow isn't

lulz. Like the others, what you do or don't like doesn't matter in the face of facts. A theory is a well substantiated hypothesis. i.e. it is still a hypothesis and could very well be prove wrong or replaced by a better one in the future.

Argue this is you like. It doesn't change the facts. Good luck in your studies, you'll need it.
>>
File: image_19.jpg (45KB, 498x342px) Image search: [Google]
image_19.jpg
45KB, 498x342px
>>578445340
Time wouldn't be stopped, just very, very slow. You would need infinite gravity to stop time.
>>
>>578453298
can i Argue this is you like for a second and ask why, if youre correct, do they even use the word theory then? I mean, if its the exact same thing, why call it something else?
>>
>>578443019
Kek this fuckin guy...
>>
>>578448479
You have no idea what relativity, i tried and tested proof, says do you?
>>
>>578452939
I don't even know where to begin with you. You've been arguing a point of terminology as used by a specific community, which has different requirements and usage than standard definitions. Then you complain when people point that out. Also you demonstrated a severe misunderstanding about the point and use of the scientific method.

So far your only argument against the mass of people telling you that you are wrong and explaining why is throwing a fit and asserting you are correct "because you can't argue terminology with terminology!" What the fuck does that even mean? I claimed that you have an incorrect definition and then DEFINE that word for you properly.

>http://www.nas.edu/evolution/TheoryOrFact.html
>>
File: WAY TO GO.jpg (34KB, 410x309px) Image search: [Google]
WAY TO GO.jpg
34KB, 410x309px
I would definitely go, even if every theory in the world pointed to my death.
Better to die in a manner that practically never happens, rather than something common.
Plus I might live who knows.
>>
>>578453507
also, to OP, hells yes I would go into a black hole.

>It only hurts for a second!
>>
>>578453298
You haven't shown that it is, you've just stated that it is. They're not the same thing.
>>
>>578453659
this guy also knows what the fuck is up!
>>
>>578443530

>As if we know the composition of the planet
>I haven't even seen the movie, so I'll stfu
>>
>>578453527

Some people use a word that means X definition. Some people write out X definition. They are the same thing. This whole shitfest was started because you and tweedle dum didn't like me using the definition.

>>578453774

>claims to know what a begging the question fallacy is but cannot see one

Come back when you do.

>>578453659

No, I've been arguing the first part of this response. Perhaps you'd like to read the thread and not strawman my argument.
>>
>>578453618
hes a day one survivor man. he was there when nolan dropped that shit. DAY ONE 6/11/2014. LEAST WE FORGET!
>>
>>578453292
Yeah, look, I was really trying to discuss one specific error and I over simplified my position in an attempt to make them understand. There are definitely laws of gravity, but we don't know the whole story yet. A lot is theory, such as why it's so much weaker than the other forces and such.
>>
>>578443305
>sarcasm
>getting butthurt over this
You know, fappening's over.
You don't have to be here anymore.
>>
>>578454014
I believe the standard format for dates is m(m)/d(d)/yy(yy)
>>
>>578453990
cant handle the truth fallacy
>4 or 5 people telling you youre wrong and you cant take it
begging the temper tantrum fallacy
>get rekt in green text
>>
>>578453990
I defined it. Have you? Have you answered my question?

No, you've just restated your opinion. Again.
>>
>>578454192
yep because medium/small/large is the way things are written!
>>
>>578454216
>rekt
shrekt*
>greentext
ogreentext*
>>
>>578454192
In your country, maybe.
>>
As much as I love this movie I gotta say a gravity dominated universe sounds very fictional. If light cannot escape a black holes pull then why does it eject matter? And a black hole, in a photograph, wouldn't be surrounded by a bright light; scientists, in my opinion, have made a fatal error in saying gravity is the dominant force in the universe and not electromagnetism. But I guess they don't want to find out a lot of brilliant minds have just been chasing a fake rabbit down a never-ending rabbit hole.
>>
File: ehh.jpg (254KB, 2356x2156px) Image search: [Google]
ehh.jpg
254KB, 2356x2156px
>>578454172
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AUA7XS0TvA
>>
>>578453990
>Perhaps you'd like to read the thread and not strawman my argument.
>misusing terminology to argue terminology
(That one when I DEFINED the terminology in my post)
>Proven becomes a fact, not a theory.
Which is demonstrably false. Case in point: "Theory of Gravity" and "Theory of Evolution"
Seriously you need to read that link. I think it would help you out a lot.
>not understanding scientific principle and thinking terminology trumps it
Then not explaining either how the post was misunderstood or incorrect in any way.

You are arguing right out of your ass. I am not straw manning your argument, I am presenting it EXACTLY as you have been.
>>
>>578454506
"I don't understand what science is talking about, so the scientists must be wrong."
>>
>>578454403
his and Belize.
Thread posts: 223
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.