[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/b/, only counting the people you know in your personal life...

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 26

File: image.jpg (16KB, 236x351px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 236x351px
/b/, only counting the people you know in your personal life... How many of them would you say are more intelligent than you? Let's get an idea of how smart we all think we are...
>>
>>561479803
vegetables!
>>
Out of my 3 close friends id say Im smarter than 2 of them, dumbest member of the family, below average at college
>>
>>561479803
I say I know about 50 people relatively well. I am smarter than maybe 5 or so of them. But judging intelligence is difficult.
>>
>>561479803

I'm smarter than all of them. And it's a fucking curse.
>>
I feel like I am pretty much evenly matched with my best friend, but we have a few friends in our circle who are extremely gifted. Keeps us humble though.
>>
>>561479803
Probably most of them. I'm a bit of a knucklehead. I'm easily the strongest out of the people I know though, I'm built like a brick shithouse and work as a farm hand.
>>
File: giphy.gif (982KB, 390x259px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
982KB, 390x259px
>>561480447
>>
>>561480314
It certainly is, I'm just looking for generalities though. Just an idea about how we all feel about our minds.
>>
>>561480609
Don't worry anon, odds are you are probably more of a man than most of them.
>>
Most of them are smarter than me tbh. /:
>>
If you mean mathematical intelligence as required in order to be accepted in Mensa, then I'm second smartest person I knew as I am officially member of that little group. If you mean over all intelligence in every day life then I'm slightly above average, but can see bit dumber do to having shorter memory than gold fish.
>>
>>561480653
I'm good at math and a decent SQL developer which requires logic skills, but I'm pretty average to below average in everything else. Things don't come easily to me, I have to REALLY try, and for me to try I really have to care.

I stand by my 5/50
>>
>>561480447
Interesting. I'd like to hear more. What makes you feel smarter? Do you correct people a lot or educate them often? Im me just curious.
>>
>>561479803
I honestly don't think that there is anyone I know personally that are more intelligent than me. Perhaps one. And I have a few on the same level as me. Wiser, there's definitely a lot, but not "smarter".
>>
>>561480876
Mensa is all well and good, but don't they still use IQ tests to get in?
>>
>>561479803
I'd say that about a handful are smarter than I am, and mostly that's because they've invested more energy into their intellectual pursuits. Not that I'm a genius or anything, but most people I know are fucking idiots. It can be upsetting, honestly. A few friends I know are absurdly intelligent but they're so unfocused it's ridiculous.
>>
>>561481036
Oooo, I like this. Explain to me your take on wisdom vs. intelligence.
>>
>>561481036
Actually, probably about 3 might be. I don't wish to be closed minded and conceited on the topic. I am often seen by my group of friends as the smartest, but I see others as very intelligent as well.
>>
>>561481156
I feel you. I have a friend who has the potential for SO much, but he's chronically lazy.
>>
>>561480781
Sort of. Most of my friends are still tough as fuck, but they're builders or sparkies. They know shit other than how to put up a fence and herd cattle.
>>
>>561480447
Do you have a hard time connecting emotionally?

>>561480609
Having that direction is a lot more important than being intelligent, and honestly you might be pretty smart. I think a lot of intelligence these days is based off of silly stupid shit by how much someone can memorize. Most doctor's aren't necessarily that "intelligent" but they put in the work to make shit happen. Smart people often get ahead of their selves and end up losing a lot of their intelligence for lack of action.
>>
This is becoming interesting. /b/ attracts creeps and criminals, sure... but I have always expected that it attracts 'smart' people as well, or at least those who feel smart.
>>
>>561481424
Anymore I'm trying to focus less on potential and how to actually find people to benefit me and help me grow. Most people I know are stagnant, including myself. They just get drunk, high, fuck around. Even my friends who are musicians don't take the time to get better at their instruments, they just play. It will get them better but there's just no drive beyond social acceptance.
>>
>>561481274
I see intelligence as general ability to learn. All be it mathematical or scientific information, or how to do things in everyday life. I learn extremely quickly, and am naturally gifted in most things. However, there are many people I know who have more experience than I do, especially those who are older. They know more through experience, where as I simply have the ability to obtain more knowledge at a quicker pace.
>>
>>561480936

I had pushing parents. Was always ahead in class.Ended up in university at 15. Problem is, thinking too much IS a curse. You never stop making things up in your head. Honestly, I would prefer to be less. And no, I try no to show it off, so I don't correct or educate people. Most of the time I dumb myself down just to fit in.

Vid related, this is my future, against what I'd like to live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icmRCixQrx8
>>
>>561481516
Agreed. A lot of academically honoured people aren't exactly 'smart', but they are trained. That's fine, we need them, but it's certainly different.
>>
>>561481794
It definitely is. I've always been on that opposite, lazy end until recently when I realized that I'm my own downfall. I never studied in school but was able to get A's and B's without even trying hard. Fucked off in high school and even failed some classes because I wouldn't just do homework and learn how to do shit. It would have taken like an hour to learn most of the things I chose not to learn, but instead I just wouldn't practice any of it. It's ridiculous, honestly.
>>
>>561481702
Ah, interesting. Do you find yourself over-analyzing situations? Thinking to much about potential problems or misconstruing a persons meaning in a conversation?
>>
>>561479803
The ones with which I regularly interact? About half. I did well on an iq test (part of a school evaluation) but that is hardly a good indicator of intelligence.
>>
File: ngbbs4dc4a3b5caad2.jpg (17KB, 278x262px) Image search: [Google]
ngbbs4dc4a3b5caad2.jpg
17KB, 278x262px
I genuinely think I'm smarter than all of my acquaintances and friends. I'm smarter than my girlfriend. There is this girl I know that I put on my same level, which is the reason I like her a lot.
On the other hand, I have an online friend (older than me, almost in his 40s) that I think is so much smarter than me. He taught me how to play online poker and be a winner (he's a professional poker player, yes, he does that for a living and has been doing it for almost 10 years) and he just knows a great deal about math and physics. I wish I was as good as him in those areas of expertise but I'm studying Law and just don't have time/patience to study math and science, other than to read something now and then for fun.

Anyway... I'm not entirely sure I'm actually smarter. I have a troubled mind and I could be the dumbest person on earth, ever, for all I know.
>>
>>561481274
In my opinion, wisdom is something obtained through experience. And the intelligence is innate. Though, if you do not utilize the intelligence you are given, it can certainly be wasted. I see things differently than a lot of people, and that isn't bad.

I had problems connecting to people when I was younger because of it, though my social skills have sharpened well. I still don't speak in the same way as those around me I suppose, and I struggle to see humor in many things that my friends do, but I get by, and can share some good intellectual jokes and conversations with them. I am blessed with an intelligent group of people to call my friends.
>>
>>561482296
>over-analyzing situations

24/7/365

which, eventually, lead to fucktons of paranoia
>>
>>561479803
I'm smarter than no one.
>>
>>561482060
That happened to me in high school. In Ontario, Canada in the 90's we had curriculums that fell into three categories: Advanced, General and Basic. I was in the Advanced classes for every subject, but I just decided to never bother learning much math, so they dropped me to general. Looking back, that shit would have required extremely minimal effort, and I still kick myself for it.
>>
>>561482463
Stick to law, anon. Get rich, it's fun.
>>
>>561479803
Taking into consideration former university classmates and people I interact with these days, I'd say 4. A former classmate (too bad he was so annoyingly left-wing), my father and two doctors with whom I'm in treatment.
>>
>>561482650
Haha yeah. I try not to worry about it. I'm 23 and I'm going back to school in 9 days to finally get some learnin' under my belt. I've been in and out of community college since I was 18 and I have to retake some classes to raise my gpa. I've always felt really overwhelmed. I think it's because there's nobody in my life that has really been very successful with education. There's not a single person in my family with more than an Associate's Degree and only like 2 that actually have that. Needless to say I have not had very good guidance. I don't blame anyone, but trying to cover up my insecurities by fucking off just screwed me for a while.
>>
>>561482598
I had a feeling. I have a close friend that is similar to you in this respect. He expects that people are constantly saying one thing but meaning another, and it fucks him up badly.
>>
>>561482973
Well I'm really happy to hear that you are still taking steps to get more education. I think you will appreciate what you are trying to do for yourself now that you are a bit older.
>>
>>561483034

you can't live like that, and suicide is a daily thought
>>
I have a question to propose to the thread. Do you think that ACT Score is a good way to judge intelligence or college readiness? Why or why not?
>>
>>561483317
I went through a period of time where I lived that way. It was awful. I over thought everything, and couldn't for the life of me understand why I was so depressed. I didn't have a bad life, but due to my over thinking of every situation, I couldn't get out of that slump. I can't be certain how I escaped that terrible routine, but it was not a pretty few years for sure. I still analyze situations very critically, I just deal with the data I acquire much better than before.
>>
>>561483807
>>561483317
>>561483034
Dude, that happened to me. I am currently pulling myself out of that. I'm keeping a journal because I don't have anyone around that I fully trust. It's helping. I also quit drinking which is also helping.

A week after my last drink I had this anxiety attack and my brain just told me to "end it" and I thought I was having a religious epiphany and demons were coming. Fucked shit because I'm not religious.
>>
I'd say I know two or three people smarter than me. The one may just be me amping up her intelligence in my mind because she's quite smart and mah crush.
>>
File: the-purge-masks.jpg (431KB, 1396x720px) Image search: [Google]
the-purge-masks.jpg
431KB, 1396x720px
>>561483807
I hope I'll evolve like your did. I'm wondering sometimes If this would be the solution to release some pressure
>>
>>561483807
Had a girlfriend who suffered a similar period in her early 20s. For her (and this may not work on anyone else) she came to the realization that most people had no good reason to lie to her, or say one thing and mean another, because most people simply don't care enough about her to act that way. It's kind of a dark thought, sure... But it worked.
>>
>>561484284
>>561484127
I came close to ending things quite a few times. I just thought about it logically. I had people who cared about me, but everything seemed pointless. I knew I'd hurt more people if I did end everything. I overcame the depression after having the epiphany that I do care about people, despite my melancholy emotions that are hard for even me to perceive. I am a very emotionless person, but I know that I do care. I found someone to concede in, and it helped soooo much. FInd someone to trust. It helps everything.
>>
>>561484886
Correction, confide, not concede. It's late.
>>
File: image.jpg (98KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98KB, 540x720px
>>561483321
I had to quickly research it because we don't have ACT testing in Canada, but it looks very similar to our DAT test. As a rule, I think standardized testing I'd fine for college readiness in some respects, since college is also a shitload of memory work and testing. As far as measuring intelligence I think they are lacking, however.
>>
>>561484886

Well, fuck. Seems we are 2-3 left in this thread. And before it 404, let me say this is the best advice I seen on /b/, for years. Thanks.
>>
>>561479803
Well I mean.. I don't want to make it sound like I think I'm a genius.. I just know LOTS of dumb people. As far as overall intelligence goes, I'd have to say that me and my roommate are about on the same level. Then I have one friend who is incredibly book smart (fucktons more than me), he's just lacking some common sense, though I'd still put him above average.
Beyond that, my co-workers are all fucking dumb. My family isn't the brightest but a lot of them are good in the mechanical department so I appreciate that. My other friends either like to think they're smart (then constantly prove otherwise) or party too much and are fully aware of how dumb they are.
>>
>>561484886
I have people I can trust but there are some things that are just personal and I have to sort through myself. I've suffered from depersonalization and it makes it hard to open up to people because then I start to lose it even more because I don't feel real and then get paranoid that I just created that person. It's fucked up, but it's something I have to deal with and overcome myself because I don't know anyoen else who's had similar experiences, and most that do are far worse off than I am.
>>
>>561485070
ACT testing is pretty much the same way. Standardized tests are important for schools' purposes I believe, but I hate that so much scholarship money is dependent on the ACT. I know plenty of smart people who struggle with standardized tests. I don't know why, because I have no issue with them, but I know smart people who don't score too well on these tests.
>>
>>561485162
I'm glad I could get a discussion like this going. There is a growing number of young, intelligent people that are giving up on the world because our society no longer rewards a good mind. When your media wants you to be fit, sexy, funny, rich and complacent, it's rough to be smart instead. I feel for you though, brothers. Don't ever give up. Things change.
>>
>>561485667
It's because a lot of standardized testing doesn't involve problem solving.
>>
>>561485667
Usually those tests only prove how good you are at taking a test. This is why IQ tests aren't taken seriously anymore.
>>
>>561485935
Yeah, memorizing a bunch of shit's not intelligence.
>>
>>561485561
I get it (Not saying I know your situation exactly, but I've been in a similar boat before). I used to be very depersonalized. I didn't know who I was. I never knew if what I was thinking was really me or not. Like when I got depressed for little to no reason, I thought that it was all in my head, and that the only reason there was a problem was because I was creating one. And it made me loathe myself. I really hated who I was. It was horrible. I had to learn who I was, and how to trust myself again before I could make any strife toward happiness. It is still difficult for me today, though I am in a much more stable state. I am content, which is amazing for me.
>>
I'd say that my father and my crush (possibly?) are smarter than me. I'm smart generally speaking (high grades, high iq, and people who say I'm smart)
>>
>>561486073
Agreed. It tests your test taking skill, which I suppose is important in college, but not the most important.
>>
>>561479803
I'm just smart enough to know that I'm not really that smart. There are a fuckload of people who are smart than me.

Sucks to say it but I'm pretty average. At least I don't go around pretending to have a huge edick.
>>
>>561485901

please get out of this cesspool. And write.
>>
>>561485561
Fascinating stuff, anon. It can be strange to create special masks to wear around certain people. It can be fun, sure... But strange. Maybe you need a completely anonymous friend to talk to through email. Someone you can be fully open to because they have no clue who you actually are.
>>
>>561486182
That's awesome. My situation is a little more traumatic, I won't really go into details but DONT' DO DRUGS, and especially don't mix MDMA with LSD (or 25i-NBoME).
>>
>>561486341
Those two aren't the same person, right .
>>
>>561486341
Lucky, sucks being smarter than both of your parents.
>>
>>561486403
Tried it, doesn't help with anything. There's no satisfaction in it because once it's out it disappears. Keeping this journal solidifies everything that I think, which allows me to look back and realize that it's actually tangible.
>>
>>561486420
What good, and oddly specific advice...
>>
>>561486420
I avoid drugs. I don't mind them, and I might smoke some green very occasionally, but that is the extent. I fought the urges to do stupid shit. Best of luck to you with your situation anon. I'm rooting for you.
>>
>>561486570
I see, well if it's helping you than keep it up.
>>
>>561486716
Haha yeah...

>>561486774
Thanks, anon! I really enjoy beer but for now I just have to get my chemicals back to normal. At least I think that should help. I never want to binge drink again but I would love to be able to enjoy some tasty beer every once in a while.
>>
>>561486398
A cesspool? Yes. This place has some of the greatest and most genuine people in the world though, if you can find them.
>>
>>561486570
As far as masks go, Masking emotions is something I became particularly good at. So much so that it is now difficult to show the emotions I intend to express. My family and friends often notice my lack of shown enthusiasm. Like I seem like I'm not having any fun, but I really am.
>>
>>561487010
If you start drinking really great beer, you can enjoy it without getting drunk, for sure. Beer is an ancient and beautiful creation!
>>
>>561479803
3. I receive high marks at a top tier university. Out of my social circle I believe that 2 people are probably more intelligent. There was one guy that I knew in middle school who was mind blowingly smart, but his parents were rednecks and didn't foster it. Still a smart guy, but his mind isn't honed to what it could be.
>>
>>561486537
Two different people
>>
>>561487270
I love really great beer, but when I started drinking a lot I started buying cheap as shit beer.

>>561487254
I have a friend who's like that, except I think he could be having more fun if he wouldn't think so much. He analyzes situations and seems to have a mental "comfort zone" when it comes to how he's evaluated his environment.
>>
>>561487010
I honestly prefer liquor, but I drink it in small quantities. I don't drink to get drunk, I drink for that amazing taste and familiar and warming sting as it goes down. Yumm.
>>
>>561486556
My dad is smarter than me and my mom is not as bright. Although I live with my dad so....
>>
>>561487436
I really like it all. Wine, liquor, beer, anything. Beer the most, though.
>>
File: up.jpg (3KB, 286x176px) Image search: [Google]
up.jpg
3KB, 286x176px
Haters gonna hate...

Before my current job in a tech company I won't name, I thought maybe 2 of the people I knew were smarter than me. But now, shit, people at my job are SO SO SMART and they are working on so awesomely mind blowing projects, that now I KNOW I'm definitely FAR from the top ten.

True story /b/ros.
>>
>>561487106

Tru oldfag speaking
>>
>>561487672
Yeah those tech guys are ridiculous. My friend works IT and he's probably the most intelligent person I know. Extremely addictive personality. The dude has overcome like five different addictions and still had top grades at IT school and was teaching his fucking teachers by the end of it. He's leagues ahead of all of his colleagues, mostly because of age I think.
>>
>>561487773
Part of the thrill is finding a few needles in the God-forsaken haystack that is /b/
>>
>>561487552
I live with my mother and my step dad. Step dad's a blockhead, mother's analytical, but not THAT smart. Tough trying to explain shit.
>>
Out of the say 50 people I know I am certainly top 5 but as I have found out, intelligence is relevant. I am very good at maths and my logical processes are very high, my literacy skills are the same as a down syndrome child.
I find alot of people around me unstimulating and frustrating as they cannot comprehend a decent conversation or debate without going retard and resorting to childish actions. It is nice to be smart and it helps alot in a career aspect but it's leaves for a shity personal life if you cannot find suitable friends
>>
>>561488007
That is a good topic. Addictions. I don't really get them. I have smoked on multiple occasions, and drunk, but I do not get addicted. I don't see how people can form addictions like that. I know that there are chemicals that make someone "need" things, but if you want to quit something, why can't you? Genuine question. I've never had a problem with quitting something that I no longer want to do.
>>
>>561488327
Questions. Where in the United Kingdom are you from, and how would you rate your language and/or writing skills?
>>
>>561488328
For me personally it was/is a social/anxiety thing. I smoked a lot of weed in high school because I thought it was interesting but also everyone else did it. Eventually my mind just assumed it's what you had to do with everybody. Same thing happened with drinking, then I became really depressed and drank more to not be so depressed and anxious. I have no idea why my friend loves drugs so much.
>>
>>561488327
So much this. So many people are childish, and I can't find any kind of humor or resolve in such immature conversations. I sometimes just want to be able to have intelligent and deep conversations about existence or theories, but find no one with the attention span or interest to talk on a deep level with me. It is frustrating often.
>>
>>561488328
I know a few people like you, who can simply quit things, but it's actually not a common trait. You have to understand, addictions are like onions (Shrek, layers, etc). They are multi-faceted and are often a combination of a physical need and a psychological dependence.
>>
>>561488634
I wish for that, too. Instead I just overload people with nonsensical babblings and wait until they pretend to know what they're talking about in response, and then become frustrated when they have no idea what I was talking about.
>>
>>561488327
I hate when I am trying to have a decent and logic saturated debate with someone when they resort to personal attacks or illogical arguments based solely on improvable assumptions.
>>
>>561488535
South west, very poor skills in language and writing also I'm very unorganised thou it doesn't present any problems to me being disorganised, it is certainly frustrating for others around me.
I have about 3/4 people I can talk to and they are genuinely following what I'm saying two of which are family. But 99% of the time I have to act dumb because intelligence is intimidating and stupid people think you are insulting them
>>
Ehh, two or three. It's not so much I think I'm smart as I think everyone else is stupid.
>>
>>561488634
I get that you find it frustrating, but you could also just respect that their level of humour may not be as compels as yours, and play along just to enjoy the company. The flaw that a lot of smart young men have is that they feel the need to prove how smart they are, instead of quietly enjoying company and adjusting their social abilities on the fly.
>>
File: 2222d.jpg (36KB, 471x456px) Image search: [Google]
2222d.jpg
36KB, 471x456px
>>561481036
>I honestly don't think that there is anyone I know personally that are more intelligent than me
Claims genius status. Has basic grammatical errors.

>>561488328
>I don't see how people can form addictions like that. I know that there are chemicals that make someone "need" things, but if you want to quit something, why can't you?
Claims genius status. Does not understand the basic process of addiction, although an incredible amount of studies explain it in detail.
>>
>>561488938
Hell, Albert Einstein was very disorganized, so there you go.
>>
>>561488749
I will accept it, and I can see where the addiction is coming from. It is like onions. I see it in a new light now, thank you. And not sarcastically either. I can understand that there is a deeply rooted physical and psychological need for some things once addicted. I have a lot of friends who have addictions.
>>
>>561488863
>>561488634
Yeah I know they just stamp there feet and turn stubborn. The most I get from my friends circle regarding a decent conversation is when they are stoned, it seems to make them somewhat more intelligent
>>
>>561489026
I do enjoy my friends. I try to be humble. I chuckle, and occasionally throw out a joke myself. I know how valuable friends are, and I wouldn't trade them for foolish pride and conceit that I may have.
>>
File: 1254455308405.jpg (17KB, 309x368px) Image search: [Google]
1254455308405.jpg
17KB, 309x368px
>>561479803
Everyone. I'm tardcore.

The only reason I haven't been outed by everyone is I've learned to bullshit people into thinking I'm not a complete retard by imitating others. My whole life is a lie.
>>
>>561489202
Just remember, your body is pretty damn addicted to water. If you go without it, things get uncomfortable. For many addicts, their drug of choice is like water to them, and they feel like they will die if they don't rehydrate.
>>
>>561489153
Yeah I know I quote that to my boss but he is just as retarded as the rest and claims a tidy environment will improve my intellect. They says shit like "my desk is tidy look at how well I've done" guy has peaked at 35K a year and thinks he's a genius.
>>
>>561489345
That's very good to hear.
>>
>>561489094
Never claimed genius status. I simply said that those who I know personally are probably not more intelligent than me. I went on to explain my thought on the definition of intelligent. Then retracted my statement that I was the most intelligent person in my personal life. Obvious troll is not amusing.
>>
>>561489345
Agreed, I like my friends I am aware they are stupid but they are still amusing none the less. I just crave a decent conversation sometimes, my fiancee is very clever and can maintain a good conversation about 70% of the time which is something that I have come to cherish in my relationship.
>>
>>561489449
That is very well stated. I like the analogy. It adds personal effect that I did not get from other answers. Very nice.
>>
>>561489458
Organization will help. You're just as bad as him for thinking your disorganization is the most "proper" way.
>>
File: 1314612142955.jpg (41KB, 675x612px) Image search: [Google]
1314612142955.jpg
41KB, 675x612px
>>561488863
What the fuck do you expect? The whole world isn't Reddit, you know.
>>
>>561489801
I know. It is to be expected, but is still disappointing when it happens. Just like a hot girl being taken and probably a bitch anyways.
>>
>>561489769
I don't think it's the rigth way at all I just care more for progression in my work then organisation, now and again I sit down and organise things but I find it mentally numbing and frustrating, I don't feel it holds me back as much as my boss likes to think it does.
>>
File: 0PGfFdU.jpg (338KB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
0PGfFdU.jpg
338KB, 3008x2000px
>>561489557
>Never claimed genius status.
Yeah right, here's an extract of YOUR OWN POSTS saying otherwise

>>561489345
>I do

>>561489557
>claimed genius status.

>>561489557
>I simply said that

>>561489557
>my statement that I was the most intelligent person in

>>561489557
>my personal life.
>>
>>561490027
Many people think that their way is the best way. Just because it works for them, doesn't mean it is the best for you. Happens all the time m8. I agree that it shouldn't matter if it still works, but it matters to some people.
>>
>>561479803

Who cares?
>>
See I have always thought that there is an uncanny valley when it comes to accrued intelligence. It seems like there is a point where a young person thinks he is pretty smart (since he is hitting certain mental milestones) but then becomes over confident and simply starts talking out of his ass. I see this a lot with fans of 'debating' and ego-driven pursuits of knowledge.
>>
>>561490260
And here is my proof that people of lower intelligence resort to childish actions. Thanks for that I was struggling to think of a good example
>>
Only 2 that I'd honestly step down from saying I was smarter than them. But for now they don't need to know that.
>>
>>561490349
Well, apparently a handful of people in this thread care...
>>
>>561490551

damn shame then, what good is intelligence if your just going to wank on the internet about it?
>>
File: 4444.png (461KB, 640x464px) Image search: [Google]
4444.png
461KB, 640x464px
>>561490458
people of lower intelligence resort to childish actions

TOP LOL. People of lower intelligence RESORT to big words to seem smarter. Here's your phrase again, but in normal, non trying to impress; speech:

BEFORE: people of lower intelligence resort to childish actions

AFTER: Dumb people do stupid shit
>>
>>561479803
most, I'm pretty retarded.
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 331x448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 331x448px
>>561490778
I see your point... and it's an extremely shitty one.
>>
>>561490778
We are having a conversation about intelligence. Not for the purpose of "wanking" on the internet, but because we are curious of each others' outlooks.
>>
im probably the worst out of everyone i know, other than maybe 2 or 3 other people who can't really be considered cause they have learning problems.
>>
>>561490979
>>561490987

k
>>
>>561490909
Are you saying that you are a proud member of the 'After' crowd?
>>
>>561490909
I used one large word and it's probably one of the most used large words in the English language. Try again. You are just proving my previously made point.
>>
>>561479803
my IQ is 140 but i dont try

also i know this isnt a johnson thread but my schlong is also 8 inches, girls say they never had a dick so big before
>>
>>561490909
Or perhaps we revel in the chance to put our lexicon to use, considering it contains more than your likewise miniscule vocabulary, based solely on what you've posted thus far.
>>
>>561491262
140iq but only 7 1/4 you win this time anon
>>
Well this is getting interesting. There are some variables to this exercise... only people interested in the topic are even going to post in here... but still, it's neat to see how people rank themselves against their peers. It seems that most of you who feel intelligent put yourselves near the top or at the top of your peer group, and those who don't put yourselves right at the bottom. This may have a lot to do with perception, which is also very near.
>>
>>561491262
Someone give this man a Nobel Prize!
>>
File: 1404554886200.gif (3MB, 286x258px) Image search: [Google]
1404554886200.gif
3MB, 286x258px
>>561491103
You wish rich fag!!!!

>>561491178
What point? That you are gay? You DID proved that point, hahahaha.

You probably RESORT to pinuses, hahaha.
>>
>>561491401
Most people don't see themselves as average. Some do, but most would either rank themselves highly or lowly. Could possibly be an esteem issue, or how people view intelligence as it relates to society. It is interesting, I agree.
>>
>>561491310
This, unfortunately as I stated previously my language skills are less then desirable. But I do try and improve my vocabulary, not to be obnoxious I just believe it to be a desirable quality and wish to have it.
>>
File: ------.png (4KB, 384x207px) Image search: [Google]
------.png
4KB, 384x207px
>>561491310
>posted thus far

THUS FAR!!! Who speaks like that.

My vocabulary isn't minusculus, it's your P-E-N-I-S that is minusculus
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 625x626px
>>561491508

This person is all kinds of fucked...
>>
out of my family? Most of them when it comes to intellectual shit. A few of them are smarter than me at life skills/how not to be a fucking idiot with money though.

As far as people I work with, pretty much every single one is smarter than me. I just got my phd in physics (no i dont care if you don't believe me) and started a postdoc and I have no fucking idea how I passed my exams/got my dissertation approved. I don't know what the fuck I got myself into
>>
>>561491645
Did you have to hyphenate the word "penis" to make sure you spelt it right?
>>
>>561491645
I understand that the customers at the drive through you were just fired from don't speak this way, but anyone with a shred of self-respect learns how to use their first language properly.
>>
>>561491618
I agree. I respect someone who uses a broad vocabulary. It is not something to shy away from. I would think that most people would view it as a positive trait.
>>
>>561491508
Your intolerable stupidity and ignorance makes me question your insecurities to those who are more intellectually gifted then your self, I would make an assumption that maybe a parent or relative is intelligent and would belittle you as a child. This has now festured into a dispise of intellectual individuals
>>
>>561491763
Haha, it's weird that you think people wouldn't believe you...
>>
>>561491987
i don't mind people with a broad vocabulary, but when they shoehorn it in without thinking of the audience they are speaking to, it does bother me

>>561492042
nobody does when i meet new people in real life and tell them that. I guess I come across more as a drunken idiot
>>
>>561491987
It is. If you want to advance continually throughout your life, you will master English no matter what field you are in. The people who can change your life are the ones who respect communication and linguistic skill. I have thrown a resume right into the trash after I interviewed a kid because he was just an idiot when it came to speech.
>>
>>561492196
I do somewhat agree with that, it is used alot to act pretentious and belittle those around, I like to start slow and work up.
>>
Intelligence is pretty hard to quantify. I study physics and there are people I know who know more physics than I do. There are people who know different physics than I do. But then some can often lag behind on things like common sense or intuitive reasoning and things.

I would say I'm one of the most intelligent people I know and I get told that, but I think that people who are genuinely intelligent know that it's hard to quantify and would never rule out another person's advice or reasoning without giving it good thought. And truly intelligent people would also be self deprecating and complimentary of other intelligent people.

This image of an atheist neckbeard with a fedora looking down his nose at everything and everyone is pseudo intelligence. Real intelligence can rationalise the things that are making them sad or lonely with enough introspection, and with observation and practice they could be however they wanted to be.

Also yes, always over thinking, and whilst I am very sociable and talk to anyone easily, I don't form close bonds with people easily at all.

>god I sound like a fedora neckbeard like this, but the discussion was good
>>
>>561492196
To be fair, physics needs more party animals.
>>
>>561492196
This is very true, but half of language is communication, so know matter how big your vocabulary is you should know when to use it depending on who you are with.
>>
>>561492419
Indeed, I have found throughout my years of education that my intelligence doesn't demand a good grade, I always passed maths with the highest grades but when I began my engineering studies I started to crumble. I cannot convey my ideas and thought process in a conventional manner nor am I very good at English, I found that if I was to discuss the topic and record myself I would score far higher then trying to wrote it down rigth of my head
>>
>>561492196
I do like this point. It is well made. The audience is important to consider before saying anything. However, I believe that a larger percent of the population should strive to have a more versed vocabulary. I'm not going to use big words in an attempt to belittle people, but if I am speaking with an educated audience, I will gladly speak accordingly.
>>
>>561492419
You are correct on many levels with this post. All of the 'intelligent' people I know never assume they are the smartest person in the room, because that would essentially be contradictory to their intelligence. With smarts comes humility.
>>
>>561492419
this. I am more than happy to admit when I have no idea what I'm doing and ask for help. Especially when it comes to paperwork shit - in the sciences people tend to look down on the secretarial staff/grants managers but we'd all be screwed without them doing our paperwork.
>>
>>561492865
Well, also you should try to just be yourself at all times anyway. If it feels natural to use a certain type of speech, you should. But you you should also stay aware of how people are reacting and responding and adjust accordingly.
>>
>>561492419
I think one of the most prominent signs of true intelligence is the ability to take advice. To acknowledge when you are wrong, and when you should adapt and change your ways. Open mindedness is important for progression.
>>
>>561493072
Hell, same goes for the arts. I'm a filmmaker but I would be lost without my team doing the paperwork for me, specifically grant applications.
>>
File: 20120801.gif (49KB, 612x733px) Image search: [Google]
20120801.gif
49KB, 612x733px
i'm definitely smarter than all the other people i know personally. most of my friends are very smart but it can still sometimes be very annoying. its especially hard to meet girls that i feel like i can be close to. with my friends, it's not so important that they aren't as smart as me because i tend to stay a bit distant. however i've found that when i had girlfriends the intelligence gap made things pretty difficult. for example, one of the girls was an artist and she was pretty smart and i thought she was very reasonable, but she had this odd belief that it was okay to be illogical sometimes and follow her (fucking insane and stupid) emotions. as a theoretical physicist, this was a huge turn off. and also the girls who are closer to my level of intelligence tend to be pretty weird/gross. and there's not so many in physics either so it's super hard to meet them. i also tend to overthink things a lot in relationships and that can be annoying

also it's kinda stressful always being the smartest one, everyone expects so much out of you. and i'm so used to being the smartest that i can't help but feel threatened when one of my peers might be smarter than me. it hasn't happened yet but i'm sure it will sometime. it's not like i'm the smartest person i've met, my adviser wins that award. i didn't even know people could be that smart.

but don't let my complaints make it sound like being this smart is bad. i wouldn't trade it for anything. but it can make some things more difficult, especially when combined with a good bit of social awkwardness
>>
>>561493116
Agreed. Also a real excitement for learning new things, even if it's outside of your personal interests.
>>
>>561493251
You wouldn't trade it for a beautiful, loving relationship with a girl you trust?
>>
>>561493501
well i'm pretty sure ill find a girl like that one day. i'm just gonna have to look carefully and be patient
>>
>>561493251
the only theoretical physicists i know with healthy relationships either married a coworker (or one of their post docs/grad students, but depending how old you are that can be a little creepy)

It's too bad that there are hardly any (attractive and available ones, anyway) women in that field
>>
>>561493251
It does feel like a curse sometimes, you are expected to perform exceptional at anything you turn your hand too which is impossible, like I said before I have an intelligent partner but she also does cloud her thoughts with emotions sometimes. I personally don't deal with things like that to we'll, I'm very rational and apparently that doesn't help those in a state of emotional turmoil. I also have a tendency to be very honest, which does present it self as insulting sometimes. I don't mean to be insulting I just give them my honest opinion.
>>
>>561493612
Some of the smartest people I have ever met have incredibly stupid partners, I have asked and they say that very stupid people tend to be more nurturing and appreciate your intelligence. They will literally die to protect you and will do anything to make you happy.
>>
>>561493798
The funny thing is, most men project themselves into the minds and actions of their female partners, and assume that the woman SHOULD behave like they would. This is ridiculous of course, because hormonal changes can drastically alter logical thinking at rationalization, but men still become frustrated. I bet biologists have much better marriages.
>>
I'd say I'm smarter than my four close friends, and yet I'm the youngest. But it might just be that I know more than them, rather than raw intelligence. I don't know.
>>
>>561493798
I have trouble dealing with emotional problems and providing solace in hard times to people. I look at things very objectively, and see the benefits and downfalls most of the time, where as many people will focus on one or the other. Sometimes I try to comfort people with the good, when all they want is sympathy. I am not the best with identifying when that time is.
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 640x480px
>>561494104
Plus, big tits are big tits.
>>
>>561494224
This is very common with smart people, chum.
>>
>>561494237
Nice call.
>>
>>561494237
Idd my fiancee is a 34j I may be smart but tits that size make anyone stupid
>>
>>561491810
No, it was for impact but you wouldn't undesrtand grammatical tricks

>>561491914
English is 3rd language actually. How many do you speak FLUENTLY?
>>
>>561494453
Amen.
>>
>>561494340
Chum is an interesting term to use in reference to a person. I've heard it before, but it is just now striking me as odd. I wonder how that came to be.
>>
>>561494656
None.
>>
>>561494224
Yeah my partner will tell me things like when she is in pain or upset that a cuddle helps... No it doesn't medication and rational thinking will help. a cuddle is not a productive use of time. I do find it hard to identify appropriate times to pitch my rational conclusion, it is very common in smart people. I had a conversation with a guy I used to work with. He is one of the most intelligent guys I've ever met, the stupid guy next to us kept asking why we where so horrible to each other. We were not being horrible just rational.
>>
>>561494753
Chum, from 17th-century English slang meaning "chamber fellow" or roommate. Batman called Robin "Old Chum" in the classic TV series.
>>
File: IMG-20140731-WA0000.jpg (37KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20140731-WA0000.jpg
37KB, 600x800px
>>561494706
>>
>>561494825
Yeah but that level of distant rationalism almost guarantees that all of your relationships will fail. You MUST realize that.
>>
>>561495030
Your fiancée?
>>
File: 1403938499975.gif (203KB, 400x383px) Image search: [Google]
1403938499975.gif
203KB, 400x383px
>>561492015
>intellectually gifted then your self,
>gifted then your self,
>then
Hahahahaha FAIL.

>>561491914
>customers at the drive through you were just fired from

Read my posts if you are SO SMART. I already said were I work
>>
>>561479803
in my personal lifeI feel as though I have more skill and knowledge in most areas then the majority but there areabout 5 people better I will if not more so intelligent than I am.
>>
>>561495107
I know I am learning to just tolerate and obey. It just doesn't come naturally. Another thing that is weird is, I take morphine one regular basis due to a back injury. Whilst under the effects of it I become very emotional. I'd make a menstruating female at a funeral look sane
>>
>>561486341
Maybe you just think your crush is smarter than you because you're idolizing her
>>
>>561494940
Well look at you. Whether that came from Google or off the top of your head, thank you.
>>
>>561495235
You keep commenting on my language skills which I have stated numerous times I am very poor at. Your trying to insult a quality I don't have. That is the definition of stupid
>>
>>561495192
Idd only photo on my thought and it's not a great shot. New phone and haven't added my backup from old phone yet
>>
File: image.jpg (90KB, 357x499px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 357x499px
>>561495235
You would be doing us all a huge favour if you left this thread...
>>
>>561495516
Wiki, actually, haha. Growing up it was a term of endearment where I'm from.
>>
File: dg.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
dg.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
>>561495526
>Your trying to insult a quality I don't have.
Correct form is YOU'RE trying.

And the definition of stupid is not "insulting a quality someone doesn't have". Hahahaha

THIS is the definition of stupid:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stupid

And also you. hahahaha
>>
>>561495667
My ex wife had big ol' boobies too. It's the one quality of hers that I miss.
>>
>>561495835
Wait, are you actually laughing to yourself at you post in this thread? Aren't you going to wake up your girlfriend?
>>
I'm currently doing a masters degree, so I know probably 20+ people in my field personally that are far more intelligent than I am. But, within my group of friends, I'm definitely in the top 5%
>>
File: ENdliNH.jpg (282KB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
ENdliNH.jpg
282KB, 3008x2000px
>>561495986
I don't have a girl friend :(
>>
>>561495835
I'm dyslexic well done. It doesn't bother me, plenty of people intelligent people are. I failed English, again I don't care.
You are picking out a minor fault and attempting to rustle my jimmies but I simply don't care about my language skills enough to be rused by an idiot
>>
>>561495759
It has a similar connotation where I live as well.

>>561496208
Perhaps if you did, you wouldn't be attempting to troll in this thread. You would feel more content with your life, and see no need to.
>>
>>561496208
Trust me, we all knew that already.
>>
>>561496345
You actually type very fluently. Your command of the English language is commendable, despite the dyslexia.
>>
3 persons definitely. All of them girls... 2 are researchers in chemistry, one is a linguistic. Also, I know some professors and researchers from various universities, who seemed much smarter than me. But most of the time, when I meet people, I feel like I'm smarter than them.
>>
>>561496345
The occasional errors are little in comparison to what I see on a daily basis.
>>
>>561496431
>Trust me, we all knew that already.
Yes because besides being SUPER GENIUS you are a mind reader ha. I guess I understimate you, you are SO smart, hahahahaha

>>561496404
>You would feel more content with your life, and see no need to.
Don't try to make me feel like you care you smarty pants, not gonna work cause I'm not stupid even if you think everybody around you is, but probably because you only have dumb friends and so your probably dumb because dumb people hangs out with dumb people hahahahaha So you are dumb is what I mean
>>
>>561496701
I try not to judge whether I am smarter than someone or not until after I have evidence either way.
>>
>>561496845
Well no, it's just fairly obvious that nobody is going to date a person who behaves like you do.
>>
>>561496934
duh, that is what a judgement is. You compare facts and arrive to conclusions. duh!!
>>
>>561496771
Thank you my dyslexia shows its self more prominently in either hand written form or speech I find my brain works faster then my mouth can. I fumble my words alot. My spelling is atrocious but msword and predictive text is my best friend.
CAPTCHA: clumsiest ibicloa
How does it know!
>>
>>561495835
Soopidity is just a state of mind
>>
>>561496934
I think we have circumstantial evidence to prove that he is in fact an idiot
>>
>>561479803
>Smarter than

>Smart in what sense?

>Knowledgeable on a subject =/= Smart

[spoiler]0[/spoiler]
>>
>>561497093
Well guys, it's been nice, but I'm tired and this asshole is reminding me that there are still many dipshits in the world. Thanks for chilling out in my thread.
>>
>>561496934
I am not judging them. It is just a feeling I get after some conversations.
>>
>>561496845
I don't care, nor was I attempting to make you believe that I do. I don't think you are stupid, nor do I think those around me are. I just know that you are immature considering your incessant trolling of this thread.
>>
>>561497453
Nah, he's stupid.
>>
File: RiptO96.jpg (321KB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
RiptO96.jpg
321KB, 3008x2000px
>>561497064
>obody is going to date a person who behaves like you do.
You think. Then I shall behave in a polite manner in order to, god forbid, cause offence in any way, sort or manner. From now on I will engage in polite and well reflected conversation going on in this thread. Hahahaha you wish. I've had LOTS MORE GIRLS THAN YOU, just right now I'm focusing on my career and other stuff.

>>561497251
Read the definition dumbass.

>>561497359
Lol, actually I am bored too. This guy was right all along >>561491729

But it was great fun. Next time remember the wise and SMART saying, don't feed the troll.

If you hadn't replied to me I would've got bored and left actually.

Thanks all.

Bye
>>
>>561497568
I know, I was just trying to be civil. But this is /b/. Back to being a prick who degrades everyone until a thread like this one reappears.
>>
>>561497359
Indeed I must get back to work. Nice talking to you.
>>
>>561497568
Goodnight mate. I'll talk to you again sometime without realizing it is you. I look forward to that day.
>>561497124
You too. Farewell.
>>
Don't know, don't care.

All that matters are my crafts.
>>
>>561497639
Peace out, queermo.
>>
>>561497939
So gay
>>
Somewhere, I have the feeling that I'm smarter that other people, but I have exotic interests, like nuclear power, astronomy, physics, chemistry, biology, which makes me smarter than other people in those specific areas. Other than that, I'm a moron like everyone else.
Also, I got nice A levels (good, which is around 40/60), but I'm quite sure that the other people from my class were just lazy.
>>
>>561498042
I am not homosexual, though if I were, this is the 21st century. There is nothing wrong with homosexuality. Though you are probably insecure, so you don't see it that way.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 250x166px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 250x166px
>>561498042
>>
>>561498042
But see you late degenerate. Go fuck yourself with a cactus while I'm gone, kay?
>>
File: qBONHkV.jpg (229KB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
qBONHkV.jpg
229KB, 3008x2000px
>>561498176
What part of dont feed the troll dont you get. No like really, I read your posts, I share most of your opinions and interesting points. I AM TROLLING. This means that whatever you said I will find a way to come up with an annoying comment. Simply don't reply, and there's no battle anymore.

It's s simple man
>>
>>561498042
Also, You are a fag. I know. You do not annoy me. You provide me with easy entertainment, I don't see why it is entertaining for you, but I do enjoy the thought that you are a 12 year old like you present yourself to be.
>>
File: 1111111.jpg (472KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
1111111.jpg
472KB, 1252x1252px
>>561498176
>I am not homosexual, though if I were, this is the 21st century.
This phrqse hqs NO LOGIC. The fact that this is the 21st century hqs nothing to do with you being or not being gay, as your phrase leads to believe.

See... trolling
>>
>>561479803

Of all of my friends, acquaintances, family, girlfriends, and colleagues, I would say that only one of them is smarter than me, and he happens to be my closest friend.

There are all types of smart though - book smart, logic smart, socially smart, I'm very high on all three, whereas my good friend is higher on book, equal on logic, and lower socially.

tl:dr; I'm the shit
>>
>>561479803
about the same IQ as most people (higher than niggers and dropouts obviously) but everyone tells me im really insightful. I'd rather just be a genius though
>>
>>561498370
I acknowledge that trolls are people too. Goodnight sir faglord. Have a good one.
>>
>>561498570
I'm bored of trolling. Go see this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6z7v8v8IaI
>>
OP should've required people post sat scores, a lot of these self assessments would probably change
>>
>>561479803
I know several people that are smarter in certain subjects that are usually associated with their work. But overall most people I know have dumbed themselves down with useless shit like reality TV and gossip.
>>
>>561479803

It's hard to say, really. The other smart people I know are smarter than me in other subjects than the ones I'm smart in. For instance, I'm new to the world of chemistry, but I'm well versed in Roman history. So my friend who is good at chemistry in one way is smarter than me, but in another way I'm smarter than her because she doesn't know much about the Romans.
>>
>>561499175
>implying everyone has done sat tests
>implying everyone is 18 or less
>>
One person, all the rest of my friends and family are ignorant anti intellectual mongoloids. They're blind to the world, and are lost in ignorance and bliss.. It Is a painful reality.
>>
>>561499175

Test scores don't necissarily mean someone is smarter than another. Alot of tests are there to test your ability to remember and repeat what you've seen in class. An actual knowledge test would be difficult since every possible question known to man would have to be asked, then marked. Then there's minor affecting factors such as tiredness, illness, willing to do the test, etc.

I'd say it's near-impossible to truely see exactly how smart you are, so smartness is essentially all on a rough scale.
>>
It depends because some of my friends will be academically smarter but I will be smarter in other areas I.e. social situations whereas with other friends its vice versa. I guess with most of them I will outsmart in some areas but they will outsmart me in others.
>>
>>561501751
*them in some areas
>>
I have 7 close friends, smarter than 3 of them for sure, one is a maybe.
>>
>>561501751
For me, it's the reverse: I'm goddamned retarded at certain social situations, but at math? I blow people out of the fucking water. AP Calculus, and it wasn't even hard, I'm just lazy.
As far as people smarter than me in a pure, logistical, problem-solving way? Only two relatives come close, and I'm pretty sure they're still not even close to my level.
>>
>>561479803
I'd probably say I'm mid-ground.
I wouldn't really know, depends on what you mean by intelligence.
Thread posts: 242
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.