[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

God-tier books thread ITT: Fantasy

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

God-tier books thread
ITT: Fantasy
>>
I think you summed it up there.
>>
Mistborn by brandon sanderson was good

TBR for me: the name of the wind, night angel trilogy, warded man, and steel heart
>>
>>561296575
>Mistborn by brandon sanderson was good
Gonna start reading tomorrow.
>>
Foundation series by Isaac Asimov

Classic space opera
>>
>>561296003
seriously, the sequel wasn't bad, but it didn't capture the same feeling for me
>>
>inb4 Asoiaf
>>
Pic not related, right OP?

>>561297728
NotW beats out ASoIaF in shit.
>>
>>561296003
NotW best book ever. Can't wait for Stoors of Done
>>
>>561296003
In this order:
>Tolkien
>Robert Jordan
>Sanderson
>Bing & Bringsværd
>R. R. Martin
>>
>>561296003
That was actually a good book. But hardly god tier.

Gene Wolfe is where it's at. The New Urth series is old but still some of the best SF I've ever read.
>>
>>561297987
/thread
>>
Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erickson. its similar to the Game of Thrones series, but more complex and way better.
>>
File: 345678.png (22KB, 300x192px) Image search: [Google]
345678.png
22KB, 300x192px
>>561297720
I feel exactly the same way.

>>561297597
His new series, the lightning archives is off to an awesome start so far with me with Way of Kings
>>
Malazan Book of the Fallen.

This shit right here, I dug up among a hoard of fantasy series, to which I gave a hance based on one of these threads (dunno if it was on /b/)

I read Wheel of Time (meh), Sword of Truth (only slightly better), Kushiel's Legacy (quite decent to my surprise), Cirque du Freak (sweet jesus I wanna slap the fucker who mentioned this and then myself for having read it), Mistborn (fluctuating quality, ok overall).

And then I got to this gem. Malazan book of the fallen has it all, bitchin cool characters, huge over arching plot, cool battles, rich believeable history, scores of viewpoints and characters, interesting cultures, heartbreaking moments, occasional decent humor, and is overall a quality read, well thought of, narrated and original.

By far the biggest find in recent years for me, and a recommendation for pretty much all fans of any fantasy.

*first book is the worst and the hardest to read through, but still good. Giving it a shot past book 1 pays off!
>>
>>561298415
I wouldn't say "way better", but not because MBotF is not as good, but because both books are really great in my eyes.

Anyway, recommendation confirmed.
>>
>>561296003
Aside from Name of the Wind, which is one of my all time favourites, here have some more.

Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson
First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie
The Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker
Stormlight Archive by Sanderson

And recently I read the first 2 books of the Raven's Shadow trilogy by Anthony Ryan in 3 days.
>>
The Symphony of Ages by Elizabeth Haydon is a really cool series of books. I've only finished the first one and read like 2/3 of the second book. But definitely recommended.

The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind is one of my favorites as it does contain a lot of philosophy, which I find interesting.

Some of my recommendations
Everything by David Eddings but namely The Belgariad and The Malloreon
Keeper of the Swords by Nick Perumov
>>
>>561297720
I'm 600 pages into the sequel and I'm enjoying it so far, although it does seem to be dragging on a bit at times
>>
>>561296575

Shit that series looks pretty good, I'll definitely give that a read.
>>
>>561297810
Pic definitely related
>>
currently on the fifth book in the series(midnight tides) and I love it. I really like Trull and then tehol, bugg and seren pedac

>>561298718
>>561298910
>>561298979
I didn't know anyone really read MBotF, at least here on 4chin, happy im not alone
>>
>>561296003

read it when i was younger. worst book ever. so many unexplained stuff, was such a drag, 5/10
>>
>>561297981
Most anticipated book ever for me
>>
>>561298718
Thanks for the recommendation, will be reading the series for sure in the furure
>>
>>561298979
Thank you sir
>>
>>561297720
I loved the second book but I felt it covered a lot less time in comparison to the first one. Like the first one was almost 20 years of his life and the second one was...like 1 or 2...which dissapointed me (and the parts where he goes to the castle to get money got boring fast). But the second book has my favorite part (Adem) and has a lot of adventures outside of the school. So I still very much life the second book a lot, but the first one was such a good experience.
>>
>>561301187
I'm just a bit worried how he plans to fit all the foreshadowed shit into the third book. Hopefully there will be a fourth.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.