[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any computer nerds in here? I need some help. Wanna start learning

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: 12345433457654321.png (52KB, 290x182px) Image search: [Google]
12345433457654321.png
52KB, 290x182px
Any computer nerds in here? I need some help.
Wanna start learning programing since i will need to get a job later on. What language of programing should i learn and what program should i use to make them?
>>
>>559447524
visual basic
>>
>>559447524
>>>/g/ ento
>computer nerds
>vb
>fuck off
>>
GWbasic or Qbasic
>>
>>559447524
As much as I want to post something completely irrelevant... there's no 'starting language' it all depends on the job you want ...

but I'd start with HTML/CSS/Jscript and shit to do with the web.. since it's .the web
>>
File: laughingbitches.png (348KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
laughingbitches.png
348KB, 449x401px
>>559447524
>programming
>visual basic
>>
>>559447524
It is a myth that you should start with a beginner's language. Look up a tutorial for C++ or java, it's practical, relatively easy to use (java is easier), and you can do anything with them.

There are millions of books and tutorials that will give you step by step instructions and programming exercises.
>>
>>559447923
This.
>>
>>559447923
so start with java... but which programs should i use to make programs?
>>
>>559447524
OP - you are a faggot and will never make a living as a programmer

>>559447759
I've made my entire career making over 6 figures and writing VB. I wrote my first in VB6 when you were just a little twinkle in your daddy's eye and bought my first Porsche when I was 24. Please shut the fuck up about shit that you don't know. Which I assume is damn near everything.
>>
>>559447870
this
>>
>>559447524
serious answer, if you're committed to using Microsoft products then at least learn C#, it's closer to being a decent language
>>
>>559447524
>>>/g/
But seriously, Python is a good starting point. Easy, simple and practical, lots of good resources.
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
>>
>>559448067
First start without an IDE so you understand how manually compiling works and file structures. That means, a simple text editor. I'd recommend notepad++. You will write a few simple programs in plain text and you'll manually compile them from the command line with javac.
Once you have a grasp on the basics, you can start using a developer's environment. I'd recommend Netbeans, it's probably the most beginner friendly. You can try Eclipse later.
>>
>>559447790
He said programming not scripting.
>>
>>559447524

Mike Sandy here,
Stop fucking with the kid. He needs to take Computer Science I,II,and III to get anywhere. CS IV and V for wizard status.
>>
>>559448684
/thread
>>
>>559447524
>What language of programing should i learn

python

>what program should i use to make them

never mind you will never be a programmer.
>>
Anything with a .net framework. Been in the programming field for 8 years and every company that looks at my resume wants me for that skill in particular. SQL background doesn't hurt either.
>>
File: scarlett.jpg (352KB, 990x1541px) Image search: [Google]
scarlett.jpg
352KB, 990x1541px
codeacademy.com
code.org
>>
>>559447524
java /thread
>>
File: 1404682633198.jpg (6KB, 168x211px) Image search: [Google]
1404682633198.jpg
6KB, 168x211px
>>559447524
I'm currently working at an IT company as an intern, they do a lot of shit with CSS, PHP, SQL, JScript and html. If you're looking to get into a job, I'd look into those. Also Java. /thread
>>
>>559449206

Same situation bro

Shit is cash
>>
>>559448069
fuck you must be right thank you based anon for your great >>>/adv/ it's amazing tytytyt ill write it down and learn vb now wow already feeling smart thank youuuu

>fuck off
>>
>>559447790
html and css arent programming languages

learn python or c++ op
>>
There is a demand for almost every language. You can find a job even for FORTRAN. Of course, some are harder to find than others.
>>
For SERIOUSLY learning (ie: not only "how to do a thing" but "what happens under the hood when you do it"): C++. It's tough, but when you learn it properly any other language becomes a breeze to learn

For something practical and that you can use immediately: C#
All the good things of Java without the shittiness of the JVM, plus the .net libraries which basically have everything you might need pre-implemented (and when they don't there are third party libraries aplenty)

@all the mocking of VB: it's clear you faggots haven't worked a day in your life. While I'll admit that the old VB is quite a shitty language (VB.net is much better tho, basically it's just C# with a vb-like syntax) it's still used quite often in many applications and business software, so I wouldn't call it useless.
>>
>>559447524

Go to university to learn computer science or software engineering, or you will never get a decent job. Software industry is full of elitists.

Be careful what kind of jobs you apply for.

There are a lot of companies which are not in the software industry, which use languages like C#/VB.NET or Java for their full stack. They pay well, and the jobs tend to be easy to get, but they will drain your soul.

I found that banks, insurance brokers/underwriters, law firms, etc. tend to have their in house systems made on a .NET stack (because it works so nicely on a Windows set up), but you will end up with some scumbag manager who has been doing .NET for the past 10 years, has all the Microsoft certificates (which cost a lot, and need to be retaken every 1-5 years), and you will be forever stuck using frameworks which have not been updated for 10+ years.

If isn't just .NET though, this can happen with any language. It really depends on the software team and upper management.

I worked for 4 years at a bank, surrounded by assholes (and a draconian software architect with a God complex), working 12+ hour days fixing shit legacy code which we were not allowed to upgrade. It was hell.

They paid well, paid for overtime and gave big bonuses, but at the end of it I wanted to kill someone.

I quit, and started freelancing making web apps for start ups who wanted prototypes. I have been doing that for the past 2 years and could not be happier.
>>
>>559447524
c++, IDE: codeblocks, search for a good tutorial website. better: also visit courses at university: c , c++, automation.

far better: study engineering so you are not going to kill yourself because programming is the most boring part of technical professions and you want to do other stuff as well.
>>
>>559450150
>is the most boring part of technical professions
how is that boring?
also, how is engineering better? is the $$$ the same?
>>
simmilar situation here, know some basics in c++ and c#, pla on learning some java, oh also have some expirience in data input / translating SAP code into c# (basic if/while functions) any tip on landing a decent job/ learning usefull stuff ?
also looking for tutorials based on acrually functioning apps (hey lets build stuff that does this this and this, here's how you do it step-by-step)
>>
>>559447870
/thread
>>
>>559447524
python. At its most basic, it's a kiddie scripting language. It can be wielded to create some pretty fucking impressive stuff.

>Openstack
>>
>>559447524
go for web-based ones:
html/css/javascript/php

then java
>>
>Learn only Lisp and Haskell.
>Pretend both languages are widely used to any great extent.
>???
>Profit
>>
Basic sure is a starting language, at least to procedural languages. The step to vb is easy. But remember once you get a vb/C# job you get stuck with it forever. So learn java and/or c++ after you're done playing with vb.
>>
go to college you filthy faggot
i fucking hate people who learn it themselves and dont understand basic shit and just do things because it works
>>
>>559453241
Yes and no. Learn as much as you can. But overall get a fucking degree. It doesn't even have to emphasize programming. The most worthless degree and yet with the biggest payout versus effort is a BS in Management Information Systems. You will get to tell fucktards what to program and then get to pitch a fit when they fuck it up.
>>
>>559447524
I'm a computer programmer, start with HTML or XML, programmers notepad lets you write in all languages
>>
>>559454065
By the time you even get to college you already know how to program spaghetti code. There you actually learn you program practices, patterns, analysis, refactoring,... All which apply to most languages.
>>
>>559447524

True story;

- Wanted a programming job
- Studied Visual Basic
- Took the Microsoft Exam
- Passed it and got the certification
- Soon after, a new version of VB was released
- It was NOT COMPATIBLE with the previous version
- My certificate was worthless
- I had to learn a lot of stuff all over again
- Fuck you, microsoft
- Anybody who learned Java in 1995, can still write code that works
>>
File: gnuu.jpg (30KB, 340x412px) Image search: [Google]
gnuu.jpg
30KB, 340x412px
>>559447524
microsoft visual studio is harmful proprietary software, you should install gnewsense and learn scheme
>>
>>559448067
khanacadamy.org

thats where im learning java its a really good place to learn

>hit me up on email if you want [email protected]
>>
>>559449206
I work for a warehouse and we are crying out for an applications developer that can write in PHP
>>
>>559449564
> says something isnt a programming language
> recommends python
>>
HTML + PHP + MySql for webmastering and web aplications, or C++ for more "hard" work. My opinion, \b\ro.
>>
C, then C++.

Find a book or something that will teach you procedural programming in general, using C.
Then find a book that will teach you object-oriented programming in general, using C++.

Also, learn data structures and alghoritms.
You should know arrays and list by the time you get to C++.
You should know tress graphs, search algorithm, sort algorithms by the time you're done.

I just saved you 2 years of software engineering studies, without all the crap I'm assuming you wouldn't even care about.
>>
>>559448067
If you're going to start off with Java, I would recommend JCreator.

You can also use Eclipse, though.
>>
>>559454559
- Wanted a programming job
- Studied Visual Basic

Well there's your problem.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.