[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what martial art would best teach me how to defend myself with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

File: louisville[1].jpg (38KB, 668x374px) Image search: [Google]
louisville[1].jpg
38KB, 668x374px
what martial art would best teach me how to defend myself with a baseball bat?

kendo?

>please dont anyone say kenjitsu...
>>
>>944970
Interesting choice for a weapon, why do you wish to use the bat?
>>
big league chewjitsu
>>
It's extremely unlikely you will need technique if you defend yourself with a baseball bat.

Just smash them in the fucking head, and try not to let them take your bat away and smash your fucking head
>>
Just use it like you would a FMA stick.
>>
>>945099
not op, but I can imagine the reasoning could be it's a lightweight, easy to carry around, and isn't something that pulls a lot of attention like a sword or some shit.
>>
>>944970

Kendo might not be a bad idea, if you can find a kendo school that isn't full of weeaboo horseshit (e.g. any lineage that includes Darrel Max Craig; that guy is a shill at best).

Some aikido schools incorporate weapons training, among which would be the bokken. I don't understand the hateboner that many on this board have for aikido (maybe I'm lucky because my instructor understands the need for pragmatism?), but if you can find a decent school they'll teach proper grip and weapon retention, something you'll want with any weapon.

If you're looking for something innocuous that's still potentially lethal, I'd suggest a tire knocker (18-inch wooden baton with a steel pin in the end for added heft) and eskrima/arnis stick-fighting
>>
>>944970
Silat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LcQcHfal1o
>>
Jesus I hate you /asp/ie fucks.

If you live in a neighborhood that dangerous just by a fucking gun.

>n-nothing personal kid
>>
>>945396
>I don't understand the hateboner that many on this board have for aikido
This board is just memes and people posting memes.
It's all hive-mind, without a mastermind.
>>
>>944970
Cop here.

DON'T DO THIS. IF YOU ATTEMPT TO DEFEND YOURSELF WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN A GUN YOU WILL GET KILLED 100% GUARANTEED.
>>
>>945396
>I don't understand the hateboner that many on this board have for aikido (maybe I'm lucky because my instructor understands the need for pragmatism?)

Because unless your school does more than just forms and Aikido's sterile interpretation of "randori," then you're essentially learning a watered down art that is only marginally effective.

Source: four years of Aikido across three styles (2nd kyu).
>>
>>946022
Potential cops can't become cops if they score too high on an IQ test.
That should tell you something a bout your post.
>>
>>947027
>four years of Aikido across three styles (2nd kyu)

Since when do you do aikido, Wu?
>>
What about pointed sticks.
>>
>>945396
aikido weapons are not really effective for using weapons. the distancing is incorrect and they don't cut properly. There jojutsu, or stick fighting is, from what Ive seen, nonfunctional on several levels.

Many aikido teachers admit there weapons work is not particularly effective and only teach it as a means to develop their taijutsu skills.
>>
>>944970
>>946022

>"Son, what are you doing walking around the neighborhood with a baseball bat?"

>J-Just practicing my kung fu after little league, officer"

If you don't have a gun just buy a knife, don't get something so high-profile. You can fucking conceal a knife and it's probably more dangerous.

>>945216
FMA sticks are WAY lighter than a bat. I got a teeny little aluminum bat and I use that one-handed, but a slugger will be sluggish.
>>
>>947238
FMA isn't restricted to the standard sticks you usually see, a good FMA instructor should teach you how to use both heavier/longer and lighter/shorter weapons.

FMA is probably OP's best bet for learning how to swing a bat to hurt someone.
>>
>>944970
HEMA, or Tetsubojutsu.
>>
kendoka here

kendo would be absolutely fucking useless to you. if someone comes running at you with a fucking sword, you're probably gonna shit yourself anways.

and any old shmuch can kill a with a knife, using a baseball bat.
>>
>>948674

Are you really going to walk sown the street carrying your fucking katana? You'll just seem like an autist looking for trouble.

On second thought, don't answer that.
>>
>>948705
You are perfectly retarded.
>>
#1: it would be better to carry a walking stick or cane unless you go to and from baseball practice a lot. But maybe this is for home defense. in which case
#2: play some actual base ball or go to the batting cage to get a strong familiarity with the item.
#3: decide what kind of bat you want (wood had more mass which does more damage but is slower on the recovery, aluminum is easier to handle but has less impact but still hits plenty hard, and if you can find a steel bat it is sort of the bet of both worlds but hard to find)
#4 to finally directly address your question you have 3 main options, HEMA probably has some stuff related to war clubs as well as other traditional martial arts; there is FMA that trains improvised and unusual weapons to, especially on request; and lastly if you just can't find a something near you and you have friends interested then practice using padded weapons/boffers. Unlike swords the over all character of the handling does not change much for clubs. Just keep in mind factors like flex and weight differences.
#extra
It would also be a good idea to go to a self defense seminar or a few classes, and go over the your local self defense related laws very carefully.

At the end with heavy clubs it comes down to good timing (which you get with practice). The most effective techniques trend to be basic and easy to understand. But many leave you briefly open after a strike so you want to make sure to hit something to not leave a opening.

And no, kendo would not work that well with a bat.
>>
>>945944
Not everyone can have guns for a great number of reasons but still need a way to defend themselves.

Shit like bats actually makes sense in that context (like in a no gun country, or you have a record).
>>
>>947238
>and it's probably more dangerous.
Factually incorrect on that but right about the rest.
It is very concealable and is effective. But the reach and massive damage of a bat out class it in nearly every way. Do not underestimate how badly and quickly a bat can fuck someone up. It is one of those things that only take 2 or 3 good shots to kill someone and one shot to permit cripple.
But as you brought up they are not concealable to unless you ether play baseball a lot or use it for home defense their are better more practical options.
>>
How do you carry around a baseball bat? If you don'y want to use a knife there's ten thousand types of smaller bats and batons that are more suitable for fighting that can actually be concealed.
>>
File: asp.jpg (44KB, 1000x681px) Image search: [Google]
asp.jpg
44KB, 1000x681px
>>948894

I would just assume that a blade would be more lethal than a blunt weapon, but I stand corrected.

>>949088
I have one of these bad motherfuckers. An asp for an aspie on /asp/.
>>
File: Baseball_Bat_Man.jpg (31KB, 537x551px) Image search: [Google]
Baseball_Bat_Man.jpg
31KB, 537x551px
>>944970
Whatever baseball bat man's martial art from the Raid 2 is
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MEg2Uue-68
>>
>>948752
my point is kendo is useless, since it's both far removed from actual kenjutsu, and you wouln't ever have a sword.
>>
>>948705
>Are you really going to walk sown the street carrying your fucking katana?
Or, you know, you can do what this anon,
>>948866
>it would be better to carry a walking stick or cane,
said and maybe substitue with a stick, cane, etc.
>>949263
>my point is kendo is useless, since it's both far removed from actual kenjutsu
I'll give you Kenjutsu has a leg up, but you could just crosstrain or train without all the armor. It's not like it's that hard to buff up your kendo
>>
>>949294
>maybe substitue with a stick, cane

Walking around a neighborhood with a cane is almost worse if you're under 50 years old. You'll invite trouble and look extra autistic.

At least no one would fuck with you if you're walking around with a sword, but you'd better have a matching fedora with your cane if you want to look like a true gentleman warrior.

This is why knives are better. Sticks are easily my best weapon but there's no reason I could carry around a bamboo rattan and not look like a faggot.
>>
>>945944
some of us live in countries or states with strict gun laws so learning how to fight is the only option in self defense besides praying that nothing happens to you.
>inb4 just move to another state
>>
>>944970

The ancient technique of "have gun, avoid melee fights"
>>
>>948674
>and any old shmuch can kill a with a knife, using a baseball bat.

Knives aren't deadly in the modern age anymore.
>>
>>949652
Its not like people just dropped dead whenever the got a bad cut in the past either.
>>
>>949317
>Walking around a neighborhood with a cane is almost worse if you're under 50 years old.
First, there is no age limit on mobility problems you dick.
Also as long as you don't walk around like it is a fucking pimp cane no one will give a shit and just assume you need it.

Walking sticks make the most sense when /out/ or semi /out/ even if you don't look like you need it because it is very common in that context.

Pocket knifes are objectively worse weapons and draw more attention in nonpermisive environment then canes. Canes can be taken anywhere and are better weapons.

That being said, I do not personally carry a cane or a "defensive knife".
>>
>>949698
depends on what you mean by just.
It may have taken a week or a month but yes they did drop dead because of bad cuts due to infection more often then not.
>>
>>949644
absolute little bitch
>>
>>949956
Oh come on, in anicent rome they had men covered in scars from a career in the army, in medieval japan you had a good chance of surviving a wound from an arrow or sword.
\
Yes infection was a much bigger deal then, but a cut, even a deep cut was not necessarily a death sentence
>>
>>949952
B-but anon, isn't the most important thing not to fit into a boogeyman like neckbeard? Even at the cost of other things?
>>
>>947201
No one gives a fuck want magic pants wearers think. They've wasted years learning pontless dance moves.
>>
>>949644
This is clearly inferior to my dont live in such a shithole that defending yourself will ever be a realistic consideration fu
>>
>>944970

>what martial art would best teach me how to defend myself with a baseball bat?

Baseball. Learn how to play baseball. Learn how to swing a bat. Learn how to hit balls. Go to a batting cage.
>>
>>949172
There was a large amount of kendo/kenjutsu in those movements. also possibly some Jojutsu for the binding techniques.

unfortunately you'll never see those methods employed in modern sport kendo. that clip displayed a familiarity with a weapon that is not found in heavily structured styles.
>>
>>951266
I'm trying to figure this comment out, I mean clearly its Japanese fight choreography, but I don't see a very close relation to practical kenjutsu or jojutsu
>>
>>945163
>underrated post
>>
>>945163
kekeed
>>
>>951278
step away from the sport fighting you've seen where they stop upon striking the form.

the katana was meant to slash the opponents, not beat them. every time he hit the thugs he then drew the bat along as if it was a blade. this would allow him to make a cut deeper with no added effort while also transitioning into the next strike. that's what japanese swordsmanship looks like when you finally get rid of the ridiculous posturing.

the binding technique however was definitely based on a stick method. it ignored any need for a edge and simply manipulated through mass and resiliency. good for a stick (or bat), pointless with a sword.

also that reverse grip he transitions into wouldn't have been too useful with a stick. its also a method that relies on a sharp edge to slice. a stick would have simply made light contact. minimal bruising at best. the bat compensated for this with the added mass.
>>
>>944970
baseballbat is a garbage weapon and no one knows how to use weapons anyway.
clinch after the first swing or before they lift the bat. you are now equal. grats.
>>
>>951484
I dont do kendo, but this a choreographed script fight, I mean the guy who choreographed it might have some martial arts experience, and while it looked nice some of it was plainly nonsensical
>>
>>948866
>there is FMA that trains improvised and unusual weapons to, especially on request;
If he's living in Germany, he can try Modern Arnis.
It has a pretty large national association and is focused on day-to-day life and unconventional weapons.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.