[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The only way to hit somebody - MUAY THAI >Only grappling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

File: CSQUC4Fp.jpg (55KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
CSQUC4Fp.jpg
55KB, 475x475px
>The only way to hit somebody - MUAY THAI
>Only grappling style - JIU JITSU
>Obvious steroid abuser - SUPER ATHLETE

Name somebody who's ruined Martial arts more than Joe Rogan.
>>
>>944444
whatever dipshit invented aikido
>>
I think he's pretty open about the fact he juices, that's why he wont compete. He said flat out he wouldn't be allowed to because of the drug testing.
>>
>>944444
do kettle bell workouts work?
>>
>>944946

Think of them as the sambo of training.

Does it do something? Yes

Is there better shit? Yes
>>
>>945000
Sambo, as in combat sambo? I thought sambo was super legit grappling. Fedor and all that
>>
>>944444
>Name somebody who's ruined Martial arts more than Joe Rogan.

I wouldn't go that far.

But I think of him like a religious convert who throws themselves full force into the new thing.

For example, his opinion on TKD. TKD has it's problems, but Joe Rogan shits all over it. It's not because TKD is the worst thing since sliced Hitler, it's because he "converted" to something new after he found out TKD doesn't always directly transfer to real fighting.

And I imagine he downplays how pompous he probably was in that story. Like he talks about how he was the best in his state in WTF TKD and how he thought he could fight, went into a real fight gym and learned that TKD was complete utterly useless garbage etc. But I'm sure he left out how up his own ass he probably was, and now he's converted full force to "real fighting" he can't ever say anything good about where he used to be.

He's like the martial arts equivalent of a white Muslim convert.
>>
>>945060
Combat Samba has striking incorporated, as well.
>>
>>945100
Does he really shit all over it still? In most of the videos I've seen where he talks about TKD he always mentions good techniques that come from it. I believe there was a vid where he was saying that the TKD front leg round house was superior to the Muay Thai switch kick
>>
>>944444
Such a try hard faggot. Guess that's what happens when you're a manlet.
>>
Did you hear he taught GSP the spinning back kick?!
>>
File: 1413092060414.gif (2MB, 250x180px) Image search: [Google]
1413092060414.gif
2MB, 250x180px
>>944444
Checking them fiveuples

Ironically, this is exactly what high level TKD looks like
>>
>>944444
Quints confirm, Joe Rogan forever BTFO.

>>944484
As someone who's been caught by standing wristlocks in sparring, I can confirm that the moves work (walked into a kote gaeshi and a year later my wrist still isn't right). The problem is that aikidoka don't typically spar/wrestle. Which is understandable because rotational wristlocks are heel hook tier dangerous, but it makes it impossible for them to get very good at what they do. Plus it has the typical JMA problem of requiring you to stand stiff as a board as you do everything, which is retarded. If you train aikido with aliveness, on top of wrestling fundamentals for grips/movement, it's legit as fuck. Very high injury rate though.
>>
>>944444
man joe rogan is such a cunt
>>
File: boxing.jpg (38KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
boxing.jpg
38KB, 620x465px
>>944444
>forgetting boxing
fucking mma fags
>>
Dude BOOM lmao
>>
>>945100
He was a TKD national absolute champion. If he thinks its shit, its shit!
>>
>>948237
So if I was a national chees reviewer, having tasted thousands of cheeses, having posted thousands of reviews, having attended hundreds of cheese related gatherings, and I said cheese was shit, does that make cheese shit?
>>
File: The Forbidden Kingdom.jpg (67KB, 439x651px) Image search: [Google]
The Forbidden Kingdom.jpg
67KB, 439x651px
Gung Fu: hard work over time to accomplish skill.
A painter can have Gung Fu can have Gung Fu,
or the butcher who cuts meat ever day with such a skill,
his knife never touches bone.
Learn the form, but seek the formless,
hear the soundless,
learn it all, and forget it all.
Learn the way, and find your own way.
The musician can have Gung Fu,
or the poet who paints pictures with words
and makes emporors weep, this too, is Gung Fu.
But do not name it, my friend, for it is like water.
Nothing is softer than water, yet, it can overcome rock,
it does not fight, it flows around the opponent.
Formeless, nameless, the true master dwells within,
only you can free him.
>>
>>945665
>rotational wristlocks
>dangerous
I JUST HAD A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA!
Aikido should have specialized wrist gear for sparring.
The wrist gear will allow the wrist to go to a point where the muscle starts to stretch, but lock up once it gets past that point, so people's wrists don't get broken, and Aikido practitioners can spar often.
I'd dish out my cash to join an Aikido gym if they sparred often.
>>
>>948259

I think beside Shodokan + Yoshinkan and maybe some fringe groups most Aikido dojos would loath the idea of using modern equipment to bring violence into their art of non-violence blah blah blah.
>>
>>948237
>He was a TKD national absolute champion. If he thinks its shit, its shit!
In the same way a man who'd been fishing on a boat in the ocean, gets his head up his ass, and then immediately to fishing on an alaskan crab boat in the Bering Strait and then when what he learned in something different can't always be applied in the Strait and when he's just a rookie and not the shit he says he was; he erroneously blames boat fishing and not his own unwillingness to think about things differently, work hard and be patient, for why he sucked so bad
>>
TKD doesn't work in the octagon. Stay mad kiddies.
>>
>>944444
Bruce lee
>>
>>945100
What the hell are you talking about?

He advocated recently that people should start with TKD then move on to Muy Thai.
>>
>>948339

This desu sempai.
>>
>>948237
He was a competitor in a minor state championship.
>>
>>948259
Shodokan spars regularly and it's just bad Judo. It also does a knife defense sparring using a metal dong to represent the blade and the guy trying to defend himself always gets slapped and poked with the dildo multiple times before getting control of the weapon and managing a disarm or close. Now, I don't think it'd look much better if it were Judoka or BJJers doing it, but it's still pretty funny how Aikido students trying to demonstrate how they'd defend against a knife turns into "don't fucking try to tangle with a guy holding a knife".
>>
Steven Seagal is the only one who can save us now.
>>
>>944444
Phil Brooks, AKA CM Punk

saturday's undercard fight has more hype around it than every other fight combined, and it's all because of that crybaby and his media circus
>>
>>944935

he wont compete because hed get his ass kicked
>>
>>950483
100% chance he would beat CM punk
>>
>>944444
I really hate how he always ducks the dick of fighters with weak punches. He always goes on about how they totally could knock their opponents out if they wanted, but prefer not to do because they like to be technical.
>>
>>950483
he would easily dominate the sport if he decided to make a title run
>sleeps in isolation chamber submerged in water heated to exactly 98.6 degrees to increase meditative focus
>smokes weed every day, which has been rigorously tested by the FDA and many global health organizations that unequivocally prove it's health benefits as an all natural miracle drug
>TKD county champion and state level competitor
>Honorary BJJ blackbelt

he has his shit together bro
>>
>>950605

Look up him sparring on youtube and see how quickly he gets gassed.
>>
>butthurt trying to claim more knowledge than a legit BJJ black belt under Rigan Machado who has been in the game for longer than they've probably been alive
He wouldn't do good in pro MMA. He's just a dude that knows a lot about fighting because he's dedicated himself to it enormously for the last 20 years.
>>
>>945579
>>949212
Then he's changed his mind relatively recently. He used to shit all over TKD specifically when he would talk about fighting, especially on his podcast.
>>
>>950605
honorary bjj black belt?

he earned a black belt in the gi and one in no gi.... it's not honorary, there are no honorary bjj blackbelts
>>
>>950822
"earned" by being personal friends with eddie bravo who casually gave him one during class one day
>>
>>950830
ahaha nice b8 m8
>>
>>950830
I'm personal friends with my BJJ coach. If he's going to graduate me, he just randomly hands me the belt when he reckons I qualify. That's the way it is with BJJ, and it'd be a disservice that a friend would be doing you by handing you a belt you're not ready for.
>>
>>950861
This.

It is not unheard of in BJJ for the instructor to just hand someone a belt they feel is appropriate without some kind of gay "promotion ceremony" like a McDojo would do.

That's why the IBJJF schools charging thousands for black belts (which turned into them using black belt certs in combination with work visas to control Brazilians in the US on visas working for IBJJF affiliated schools) stuck out so much.
>>
>>950830
He has a Black Belt under JJ Machado

My friend actually visited 10th planet HQ and got paired up with Joe. Said he was legit.
>>
For an interesting look at what Joe Rogan is really like, read a book called "Me, Chi and Bruce Lee". It's about a journalist examining the martial arts and which one is right for him.
He has a run in with drunken hack comedian Joe trying to kiss Jeff Monson's ass. The guys a typical LA sycophant who will gargle your balls if he sees benefit in it for himself.
>>
>>952134

You should check out the Youtube channel Rogan Watch.
>>
>>950822
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS54v9sCY3Y
>>
>>950822
There are purchased black belts.
>>
>>944444
Just a dood who has an opinion that a lot of ppl listen too. He has faults, how is this discussion worthy?
>>
>>944444
this isn't true at all. he always talks about fighters with tkd and karate backgrounds and how it's effective for them. either you don't listen to rogan much, are a troll, or retarded.
>>
>>952147
>why is it that most people in BJJ don't make it to black belt?
>it's because BJJ is such a good martial art, that's why
>it's not that it has ridiculous rules of belt achievement
>>
>>948275
>>948259
>>949306
So why don't we chat up a few Aikido instructors and actually get this idea running?
There surely would be a guy pragmatic enough to let his students try it out.
It might create a more realistic offshot of Aikido.

> It also does a knife defense sparring using a metal dong to represent the blade and the guy trying to defend himself always gets slapped and poked with the dildo multiple times before getting control of the weapon and managing a disarm or close.
How often do they train this shit? I do escrima and we train our reflexes all the fucking time. My experience with Aikido was that you'll intellectually know how shit works, but have no reflexes.
Do styles that do knife defense actually train the reactions, in contrast to ordinary Aikido?
>>
>>954247
basically this

it's because BJJ is exclusive in the fact that your rank is blocked behind a training time wall, not your skill level.

it doesn't take 10 years to become proficient, it just takes 10 years to log enough hours to be acknowledged for the skills you already had half a decade ago
>>
>>954796
>So why don't we chat up a few Aikido instructors and actually get this idea running?
Do you not know how hard it is to bring about change in staunchly traditional martial arts? Especially one that's so deeply rooted on its founder's religious philosophies of harmony and the well-being and development of all, so much so that many of its practitioners see competition as being badwrong.

>How often do they train this shit?
Often. Aikido was developed from an old school of Jujutsu so it pays more attention to weapons than many modern japanese martial arts. Shodokan Aikido is an offshoot of Aikido whose main selling point, so to speak, is that it focuses on free-style sparring and actually engages in competitive randori consistenly, even having a world championship. The knife sparring is one of two types recognized in competitions, and the guy with the knife is actively trying to stick you in order to score points himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4qXuVAtXUs

Here watch. This isn't even a video of a guy trying to make Aikido look bad, it's a russian Aikido federation promoting themselves.
>>
Battle ropes and alpha brain
>>
>>954800
thats just not true, if you're at a gym tapping out all the bllack belts as a blue belt, you better believe you will blast through belts pretty quick
>>
>>955008
Or if you're willing to pay IBJJF a few grand. You'll even get a US visa to boot
>>
>>954242
He's a bit more diplomatic in his ringside commentary than his podcast, to be fair.

And I'd always heard him shitting on TKD and Krotty, so any real change in his opinion must be relatively recent.
>>
>>955199
So what was first, Rogan shitting on krotty and TKD or the general MMA community doing so? The sport's seen its paradigms turned on their head constantly in its relatively short modern history and while Rogan's a big and easy target he's usually only going along the current zeitgeist.

Used to be BJJ was king, then it was wrestling, then if you could wrestle or roll and had taken a few muay thai lessons you were complete, then a kickboxing/muay thai background with enough grappling chops to keep the fight standing was the shit but you better not try head kicks, then headkicks were fine but anything with a spin was too dangerous, suddenly boxing went from an overly limited sport to another of the MMA pillars and you better not deviate from those 4, wait here come guys like Pettis, Machida and Bendo and so on and so forth.

I mean, if anyone takes anything Rogan says as the cold hard truth it's their own goddamn fault, I can't really shit on the guy for expressing what's typically the canon of MMA thought at the time. Dude's a comedian and hobbyist that became an announcer, I don't expect top analysis from the state of the game and what's to come from him, there's other, better equipped men to do so.
>>
>>948239
Yes. It also makes you a loser
>>
>honarary black belt

Paul Walker got given an honorary black belt posthumously after he hit a powerpole at 88 miles per hour. He was brown belt at the time of his death.

There's also that other motherfucker, dean lister or josh barnett or something. May not be either of those guys. Got given an "honorary black belt" because of their grappling level, and what they achieved in bjj tournaments rather than working through their time in the gi like the rest of us.

I would try to research who it was exactly but i am at work on break atm, so someone else do it otherwise wait till later for me.
>>
>>957052

It was Barnett. He was given a black belt at a tourney so he could compete in the gi, I think.
>>
>>957052
>I am extremely assmad a beloved dead celebrity was given an honorary belt as tribute
>I think time in the gi matters more than the results of high caliber grapplers

I don't give a shit about a dead celebrity but being assmad that Josh Barnett was promoted to black belt given his skills and huge knowledge of grappling in general is fucking retarded.
>>
>>957392
I'm not butthurt at all, you must be confused. I was merely pointing it out for the sake of the thread.

Sry for the confusion.
>>
>>955266
>Rogan shitting on krotty and TKD or the general MMA community doing so?

I don't think these are mutually inclusive. He used to shit on TKD specifically because he was big into TKD as a teenager. Then he tells the story about how he found out TKD is utter shit etc.
>>
>>955266
>if anyone takes anything Rogan says as the cold hard truth

Hold up anon, you're getting way ahead of yourself here.

I wasn't claiming Rogan was a fighting analysis genius or the end all be all of fighting knowledge.

I pointed out that he used to shit on TKD (and usually TMA too) pretty hard, and that his ego may have had something to do with it.

You're writing an essay in reply to something that I never argued.
>>
>>957766
>>957777
>I don't think these are mutually inclusive
>I wasn't claiming Rogan was a fighting analysis genius or the end all be all of fighting knowledge.

I don't think they're mutually inclusive and I'm not saying you were claiming anything regarding the worth of Rogan's opinions, I'm just saying that the guy usually just goes along with whatever's the common perspective around MMA and what works or doesn't at the time, something that changes practically year to year and I provided a list of examples for that.

Is Rogan just following the currently accepted canon a good thing? Not particularly, and people just taking his word for things is stupid. Not saying you do, but it happens and the guy is often wrong on things or just repeats whatever is being screamed about the loudest.

Is it the worst thing ever? No because it's not just him saying it and then being wrong, it's the current line of thought by the sport's followers. MMA's evolved like crazy in a very short amount of time and it's not really the guy's job to provide deep insight and see what may work, what may not and the hows and whys. There's dudes who've made that their business like Connor Ruebusch and Jack Slack or former fighters like Kenny Florian for that.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.