[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The 2016 Martial Arts Tier List God Tier: Boxing Top Tier:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 11

File: taekwondo.jpg (51KB, 800x566px) Image search: [Google]
taekwondo.jpg
51KB, 800x566px
The 2016 Martial Arts Tier List

God Tier: Boxing

Top Tier: MMA, Wrestling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo

Medium Tier: Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Pradal Serey, Wushu, Sanda, Sambo, Kyokushin, Shotokan, Army Combatives, MCMAP, Krav Maga, Savate, Kajukenbo, Jujutsu, Eskrima

Bottom Tier: Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, Goju-ryu, Pankration, Karate, Kenpo, Kung Fu, Bajiquan, Hung Gar, Silat, Hapkido, Capoeira, Sumo, Jeet Kune Do, Kalaripayattu

Shit Tier: Wing Chun, Aikido, Ninjutsu, XMA, Tai Chi, Systema, Dim Mak, Drunken Fist, Praying Mantis
>>
>>930279

>Shit Tier: Wing Chun, Aikido, Ninjutsu, XMA, Tai Chi, Systema, Dim Mak, Drunken Fist, Praying Mantis

When did shit become a synonym for unstoppable?
>>
>>930279
>Bottom Tier
>Goju-ryu

motherfucker you better watch yourself
>>
>>930279
>again
Don't think I don't remember last time you posted this fucker.
>>
>>930279
medium: shotokan
bottom: karate

nigga what
>>
>>930279
>God Tier: Boxing
kek
Saged.
>>
File: MMA-techniques[1].png (86KB, 595x371px) Image search: [Google]
MMA-techniques[1].png
86KB, 595x371px
>>930279
Realistic 2016 martial arts tier list

>God tier
Mixed martial arts. Take the good stuff from everything you can find, filtered through competition and constant pressure testing.

>Top tier
Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Wrestling. Strong foundations, these are consistently proven arts that give you a solid grounding on fundamentals of both standup and ground fighting. Yes, boxing is as important as Muay Thai because MT doesn't work with the hands as much, nor does it typically teach you as much about footwork, defensive technique such as slips and head movement.

>Medium tier
non-MT Kickboxing styles such as Sanshou or "oriental rules"/K1 style that regularly engage in competition, Kyokushin Karate and offshoots, Sambo, Judo, Catch Wrestling. Solid styles from which to work from, to be sure, but not as solid as the tier above. Sometimes hindered by a comparative lack of availability as well.

>Low tier
Pretty much everything else that can be taken at least sort of seriously. Points karate, taekwondo, savate, whatever comes to mind that has a few ideas you can use once you're already well grounded in the basics. Lyoto Machida's or Kyoji Horiguchi's karate-based game, Conor McGregor's evolution after touching up his game with Taekwondo, Jon Jones using savate straight kicks to the legs or an old school jujutsu armlock to tear Glover Teixeira's shoulder out of its socket.

>Garbage tier
Aikido because everything it has Judo and BJJ do better. Something like 95% of chinese martial arts schools not counting Sanshou, because even if they can have good ideas it's hard to find a decent place even in China thanks to a shitty isolationist mentality that's led to archaic training methods and resistance to cross-training.

>Outright bullshit tier
What Dillman, Sin The, Ashida Kim and their ilk peddle. CMA might be bad but it is still, in some way, grounded on actual fighting, this is making outrageous shit up.

>Weapons tier
lern2gun, you're not gonna carry a sword around.
>>
File: 1452793275625.jpg (19KB, 540x388px) Image search: [Google]
1452793275625.jpg
19KB, 540x388px
Factual 2016 Martial Arts Tier List

>God Tier
MMA
Constantly evolving, redefining fighting.
Like with science, new evidence causes us to redefine existing knowledge, maybe even discarding it completely.
What people once thought of as virtually useless, such as sand, eventually was used to create glass, one of the most influential inventions to ever have been made.

>Top Tier
Muay Thai, Sanda/Sanshou, Sambo,
These arts are kind of like primitive MMA.

>Medium Tier
Savate, Kyokushin Karate, Western Wrestling
They're kind of like the basics.

>Low Tier
Western Boxing, Taekwondo, Judo, BJJ
These arts are like the bare minimum basics.
The things you'd teach little kids that have no idea about martial arts.

>Garbage Tier
Aikido
Let's just face it, it's not useful to a majority of people a large majority of the time.
The techniques are too difficult for a majority of people to pull off a majority of the time.
For the average person, it takes too much training, for too long of a period of time, for that person to perform an intermediate wristlock consistently with efficiency, given that his reaction time was a little above-average.
>>
>>930470
>lern2gun
Sure, learning to gun isn't a bad idea.
But a gun is mostly unnecessary.
80% of the time, a telescopic baton is all you need. Maybe a knife sometimes, too.
>>
Remember that video of a boxer beating a grappler?
>>
>>931291
McGregor vs Aldo?

>Aldo is such a more well rounded fighter than McGregor
>Aldo is going to beat McGregor because Aldo is more well rounded

>Aldo has grappling
>McGregor doesn't have grappling
>Aldo is going to beat McGregor because Aldo has grappling and McGregor doesn't have grappling
>>
>>930470
So an NCAA D1 wrestler is worse off than an amateur MMA fighter
>>
>>931291
It's just another bit of proof that these autistic rankings of martial arts by white belts and first year competitors are complete trash. This is coming from a grappler btw
>>
Listen here you faggots if you wanna know what the godliest tier martial arts is

>god tier: practice
>shit tier: posting on 4chan
>>
>>930470
>lern2gun

Right, because no one has gotten into a fight with a blade or a blunt object since the invention of the handgun
>>
File: untitled.png (721KB, 960x699px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
721KB, 960x699px
>>931452
This.
>>930279
Fuck off with this best martial art shit. DBZ should have taught you powerlevels and rankings are bullshit. Every MA has pros and cons and it's up to you to decide what you want to do
>>
>>930540
This.
>>
File: Wing Chun vs Pittbull.gif (1MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
Wing Chun vs Pittbull.gif
1MB, 260x146px
Can your martial art save you from a Pittbull attack?

Wing Chun works against Pittbull attacks.
>>
>>932711

>aikido and ninjutsu
>having any cons
>>
>>930279
>MMA
>Art

MMA is a joke and no amount of tapout shirts will fix this.
>>
>>938197

If MMA is a joke it stops being funny once you get mounted and punched in the face several times by someone who has experience in boxing, wrestling, and BJJ.
>>
>>938147
pros you mean

>>938197
butthurt karate kid detected
>>
>>938230
>pros you mean
Maybe he was being sarcastic.
>>
>>931390

Yes, that's what he said. MMA is always better than wrestling no matter what.

Or maybe he meant that all things being equal, in a wrestling match the wrestler takes it, in a MMA match the MMA fighter takes it.

MMA is closer to "street fighting" so...
>>
>>938624
>MMA is closer to "street fighting" so...

Nothing is stopping Pedro or Jamal from releasing his Pittbull on you.

Wing Chun.

>>937771
>>
>>938230
Aikido and Ninjutsu are perfect martial arts, if you are too foolish to see it I guess you should just stick to combative sports.
>>
>>938643
this desu senpai
>>
>>930279
>Sambo Medium tier
>Pankration Bottom Tier
This doesn't make sense.
>>
>>939478
Boxing is god-tier.
It's just a stupid meme.
>>
>>930540
I would rate Western Boxing over Kyokushin and Savate. Boxing may be basic but its very important. and teaches skills you won't learn anywhere else. Kyokushin and Savate can be replaced by Muay Thai.
>>
>>930540
> putting Savate and Kyokushin in the same category as Wrestling
> putting TKD in the same category as Boxing, Judo , and BJJ
absolutely disgusting
>>
>>930279
Switch Boxing and MMA and move Muay Thai and Sambo to top tier.
>>
Boxing,muai tai, wresling
Street fight stuff

Sambo , muai tai , wing Chun
Often dominates mma
>>
>>939670
when has wing chin ever dominated mma?
>>
>>939671
In the future when people actually test things and don't disregard them without thorough examination.
In the future where people do things just for the fuck of it (learn Wing Chun, train it with modern training methods, join MMA).
In the future where we have more knowledge to base things off of.
>>
>>939678
but how can wing chin be very useful? The punches are thrown from clinch range.
>>
>>939682
>The punches are thrown from clinch range.
They don't have to be.
>>
Fine, since all you faggots are doing it.
God Tier: Cross training you fucking scrub.
Top Tier: Boxing, wrestling, and judo deserve to be here for being common and relatively cheap. Also any kickboxing-esque art and arts that have multiple parts to them, like sambo.
Medium Tier: Specialized shit like TKD and hapkido, that can do things other than kicks or wrist locks, but REALLY like doing them. Boxing could also go here. This shit ain't objecting, what are you reading it for you tard?
Mid Tier: Shit like CMA and aikido that need a bunch of work or other foundations to be good.
Shit Tier: McDojos and stuff like exercise kickboxing you numbnuts. The CMA and aikido type stuff ends up here a lot too.
So basically something like >>930470 , but stickfighting isn't awful because
>batons and maglites lol
>>
>>939694
>Boxing, wrestling, and judo deserve to be here for being common and relatively cheap.
No.

The price has nothing to do with the martial value of a martial art.

It's like saying one of the most advanced super computers isn't as good because it's expensive.

Leave price out of this.
>>
File: 33Zy8na.gif (1MB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
33Zy8na.gif
1MB, 260x260px
>>930540

Scientist Tier
Nuke

Omega Deity Tier
Guns

God's Father Tier
>Long Melee Weapons

God Tier
MMA
Constantly evolving, redefining fighting.

>Top Tier
Muay Thai, Sanda/Sanshou, Sambo,
These arts are kind of like primitive MMA.

>Medium Tier
Kickboxing, Western Wrestling
They're kind of like the basics.

>Low Tier
Western Boxing, Taekwondo, Judo, BJJ
These arts are like the bare minimum basics.
The things you'd teach little kids that have no idea about martial arts.

>Garbage Tier
Aikido
Let's just face it, it's not useful to a majority of people a large majority of the time.
The techniques are too difficult for a majority of people to pull off a majority of the time.
For the average person, it takes too much training, for too long of a period of time, for that person to perform an intermediate wristlock consistently with efficiency, given that his reaction time was a little above-average.
>>
>>939709
They're also hard to fuck up. I'm sure they have their mcdojos out there, but the overall quality isn't shit. Not like I based it purely on being cheap, it's just a nice bonus.
>>
>>939709
Not only are those three cheap and very effective, they are also probably the most consistent in quality of all the martial arts. even shit like MMA, BJJ and Muay Thai have Mcdojos now since the rise in popularity it has gotten recently. Boxing, Wrestling, and Judo are usually the easiest to find good quality training.
>>
>>939747
>>939754

The people teaching the art are not a part of the art itself.

If it's an art ranking list, it's an art ranking list.

This is a thread about ranking martial arts.
This thread isn't about giving people advice about how to find a good gym.

If it's personal advice, it's personal advice.
>>
File: spirit-of-taekwondo-o.gif (532KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
spirit-of-taekwondo-o.gif
532KB, 320x240px
Taekwondo is the best martial art.

When the battlefield is long, wide, and open, the sniper beats the .45 pistol every single day of the week.

The MMA battlefield is long, wide, and open.

The MMA fighter has a sniper, automatic rifle, pistol, and knife.

The Kickboxer has an automatic rifle, and pistol

The Boxer just has a pistol.
>>
>>939776
Please put more effort in copy pasting than adding a sentence.
>>
>>939773
>The people teaching the art are not a part of the art itself.
Dude what. They may not literally be a part of the art, but it's pretty important. I'd still keep boxing in the same ranking anyways.
>>
>>939783
>but it's pretty important.
For teaching an art, it plays somewhat of a key role.

For what the art is, not so much.

Taekwondo is Taekwondo whether Bruce Lee teaches it, or The Rock teaches it.
>>
The only issue with MMA is that it's far too broad and can be very different depending on who the teacher is, so its 50/50
>>
>>940086
That's the thing.
You shouldn't only do one MMA, you should cross-train with a different MMA, to make you a more well rounded fighter.
>>
File: foundation.jpg (195KB, 2190x684px) Image search: [Google]
foundation.jpg
195KB, 2190x684px
>>
>>930279
>Top-tier
>MMA

You say whatyou stupid motherfucker fuck you again your mother and grandmother is fucking whore fuck you motherfuck.

MMA is literally just grabbing all the best aspects of all the best Martial Arts and putting it together so that you can beat the shit out of everyone else you see on the street.

It has Boxing, Wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, Kyokushin, Judo, etc. etc. etc. All rolled into one.

The only things that even remotely challenge it in terms of practicality would be Eskrima or Army Combatives, because those place a heavy emphasis on the use of weapons to survive.
>>
>>939671
Well I've been in a street fight and only had to throw 1 punch thanks to a Lil bit of practicing it
>>
>>940086
There would rarely be a one teacher it take more than just knolage from 1 person
>>
>>941528
Do you mean like really for because what then of it's because?
>>
>>942602
That of the then it because there continuation.
>>
>>942813
Wat
>>
>>940496
>so that you can beat the shit out of everyone else you see on the street.
Wrong.
It's so you can beat the shit out of everyone else you see in a polygon.
Though, some gyms have self defense classes, as well.
>>
>>944435
To be fair the best self defence cannot be taught only learned
>>
>>945155
If it can be learned, it can be taught.
>>
Maybe someone can help explain why this board has such a hate-on for aikido. When referring to aikido, is the perception that it's some granola, hippy-dippy "Just blend and guide them with your ki, dude" martial art? If that's your only understanding of the martial art, I guess I could see your point.

That being said, aikido is not some monolithic, single organization. The dominant styles in the United States derive from Koichi Tohei's Ki Society or Aikikai, headed by Moriteru Ueshiba (grandson of Morihei). Having done some outside reading, it looks like both styles almost entirely forego striking as a means of executing a technique, leading to the perception that aikido is purely non-violent.

My instructor has trained in Tohei-sensei's style, but also in Yoshinkan, which is a far more conservative, strike-heavy variant to aikido. I feel that this has given him a slightly more pragmatic approach to instruction, in that it would be nice to execute a technique without striking, but sometimes you need to punch a dude in the throat or box his ears to gain an opening.
>>
>>945425
Because Aikido is typically represented, from the main organizations down, by ridiculous exhibitions where you all take dives from the gentlest of nudges, simple pokes become deadly paralyzing blows and the attacker only ever performs the most telegraphed, useless attacks ever, and typically ones you have previous agreement on to boot.

And while the same can be said for any martial art exhibition, plenty of which are put on by karate, taekwondo and others, this is all Aikido shows. Taekwondo and karate both have sparring, people actually fighting against one another in some way. Tomiki Aikido introduced a competitive aspect and it winds up looking like shitty Judo, and by that point I might as well just do Judo, a consistently proven effective art, rather than Aikido.

So that's why people think Aikido is shit. The number of pasty weaboos who couldn't fight out of a paper bag thinking they're learning the oriental secret to masterful self defense and personal development don't help Aikido none either.
>>
>>945571
judo is more like brute strength wrestling. There may be technique however aikido has more technical components to it. Its able to have a weaker user, defeat a stronger opponent using their own strength against them.
>>
>>945571

"Ridiculous exhibitions" is a good term for what I would consider the worst excesses of Aikikai or Ki Society-style aikido. The original purpose of "taking dives" is to make practice safe for both the attacker and the defender, but in the absence of serious randori or an attentive instructor correcting bad habits it can take on a choreographed, dance-like appearance.

Good aikido can be effective, but it does take an actively resisting partner. To that end our instructor emphasizes that when striking, we actually need to STRIKE and aim for the face, chest, side of the head, etc of the defender. If the technique is from a grab and we aren't actually holding on, he will break free easily, chide the student, and insist that we actually hold on for dear life.

Going back to randori, I was pleasantly surprised when he had us go through a limited randori for my 5th-kyu test. Unexpected but kind of nice to be using techniques without any preamble. It was only defending against a wrist grab, but hey, baby steps.
>>
>>945585
Aikido is judo with less attention to both efficiency and efficacy. There's some neat stuff buried in there, but it's a supplemental art at best.
>>
>>940389
What's with thisnpic it makes no sense. Boxing is integral to learning how to move and control the range, even in kickboxing and must Thai they can't outmaneuver a boxer, check out this fight
https://youtu.be/bcN9IMRye_8
To combat a kickboxer known for his use of the ring he brushed up on boxing, he pretty much controlled the tempo of the fight and pulled out a win on mainly boxing in a kickboxing match.
>>
>>945585
>Its able to have a weaker user, defeat a stronger opponent using their own strength against them.
>Basically judo
Learn good judo and shut up.
>>
>>945425
Have you ever tried to punch someone in the throat or box their eyes when they're trying to hit you back?
>>
Noo who would have ever thought that punching someone in the face would hurt them
>>
Don't know if anybody in this thread has experience but fuck it.
I've been boxing for two years now (started at 17, I know a little late), but I've been really interested in MMA as it seems really exciting. I was just wondering if you guys think I'd be good going to an MMA gym or if I should try to fit in time to practice different martial arts separately?
>>
>>946355
I think you should fist your anus.
>>
>>930279
>God Tier: Boxing

>completely defenseless when double-legged

I love boxing but I'd give a decent wrestler a pretty good chance.
>>
>>945585
>buying into the Aiki smaller man hype
You know who actually showed up to beat several men larger than him with technique, in a setting with no weightclasses and no rules beyond no biting or eye-gouging? Royce Gracie, repping brazilian jiu-jitsu, developed from Judo. You know what style didn't contribute anything of note to those early anything goes, style vs style days? Aikido.

>>945672
>believes taking dives is necessary for safe practice
>calls breaking free from a wristgrab randori

So tell me, when you do all this striking to open the way for a technique, aiming at the same spots that anyone aims at, do you actually do it in a way that simulates actual conflict? As in, are you and the other guy allowed to do whatever comes to mind and see who can subdue the other using whatever techniques you feel like using? Or do you just have an attack picked out for a defense?
>>
>>946610
>striking to open the way for a technique
Not the anon you replied to, but the point stills stands.
MMA fighters use striking to set up grappling in MMA all the time.
>>
>>946742
Obviously. But they actually, you know, have striking and grappling chops that Aikido doesn't provide. Just because high level BJJ players have started applying wristlocks doesn't mean Aikido's way of teaching them is particularly valid, for another example, the underlying ideas and concepts can be solid but if they're taught in a shitty way they don't amount to much.
>>
File: IpMan.gif (1MB, 500x207px) Image search: [Google]
IpMan.gif
1MB, 500x207px
Niggas WC obviously beats a gun any time haven 'you learned anything?
>>
>>937771
Anyone who thinks that is real hasn't owned a dog. That dog is playing with its owner, not attacking.

For anyone actually wondering how to fight a dog if you dont have a knife or gun on you, use your weight to your advantage. Get on top of it pin its head down and break its neck. Don't push it away lightly. It's a dog. It doesn't care if it gets pushed away, it will attack you all day and all night if it has to.
>>
>>946964
Pretty sure that guy was shitposting guv. Fairly positive about that.
>>
>>946964
>It doesn't care if it gets pushed away
When it's pushed away, it leaves itself vulnerable to attack, like the cross in the gif posted.
Dogs attack in predictable and telegraphic ways, making it easy to push them away and punch them multiple times, until the place you punch gives in to your repeated trauma.

And that's why Wing Chun is one of the best martial arts for the streets, especially against dogs.

Wing Chun uses attack with defense, along with efficient movement, letting one use one's speed, timing, and reaction time, to take down the opponent. Not just brute strength.

With repeated punches to the neck, eventually, the muscles soften up, the muscles tear, the bones connecting the spine and neck weaken, eventually breaking, leaving the dog paralysed.
>>
>>947004
See what I mean? Shitposting.
>>
>>946355
It's fine to train at an MMA gym. You'll get a lot out of it, considering most places like that have days set aside for each of the arts that you'll want to study. Furthermore, you may want to continue your boxing alongside whatever MMA you do just so you can keep your boxing skills sharp.
>>
Preach it
>>
File: 1428818243900.gif (2MB, 400x326px) Image search: [Google]
1428818243900.gif
2MB, 400x326px
>>946886
How do you beat guns that aren't revolvers with Wing Chun?
>>
>>947511
pipebomb
>>
>>947537
One inch punch
>>
>>947511
pocket sand.
>>
File: Jabba_the_hutt.jpg (176KB, 1300x815px) Image search: [Google]
Jabba_the_hutt.jpg
176KB, 1300x815px
Where does Systema rank senpai?
>>
>>946886
This guy gets it.
>>
>>948069
that one russian thing that isn't ancient group fistfighting or sambo tier
>>
i have a question for boxing and kickboxing fags.

which would you start with as a young noob, which would offer faster progress ( in both competiting and self defense )

do kickboxing gyms traing slips and footwork at least a little, or don't they do it at all ?

i know how to kick pretty well and check kicks already but i'm shit at punches and upper body defense.

what do ?
>>
>>948790
It depends on the gym. I have done Traditional Muay Thai and they are pretty shit with punches and punch defense. Also traditional muay thai footwork is very simple as mobility isn't muay thai's strong point. Alot of kickboxing gyms train a more modern style that puts alot more focus on boxing so my guess is that if you find a gym that trains modern kickboxing you will get your hands, punch defense, and footwork up to speed. If you cant find one thats to your liking just cross train with boxing on the side and you should fill in the holes.
>>
>>948824
This senpai.

>>948790
>do kickboxing gyms traing slips and footwork at least a little, or don't they do it at all ?

Like the other anon said it depends. What is the "lineage" of the gym? Is it run and operated by guys who fought Full Contact Karate/American Rules and/or International Rules, Muay Thai, TKD etc.?

Because the Krotty/American Kickboxing guys (there's overlap between American and International rules because a lot of guys ended up fighting both in that time frame) will place more emphasis on boxing and boxing defense like head movement and fast footwork.

Muay Thai is going to be more like Kyokushin where you're just standing toe to toe and beating the dog shit out of each other, but elbows, knees, and kicks score higher than punches so they don't even bother as much.

Source: personal experience from training all three in multiple places with many different people (Kickboxing with a Full Contact Krotty style background, Muay Thai, and Kyo).
>>
Well I would hope so if your kicking and punching there's a likely hood of using your feet and knees u simple bitch
>>
>>931396
Well said
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.