[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sg/ - Ski General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: 1.jpg (48KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
48KB, 640x427px
/sg/ - Ski General #7
Snowboarders are fags edition
Last thread: >>847408

>I've never skied before, what do I need to know before I start?
pastebin.com/gpincHC3

>What skis should I get?
evo.com/how-to-choose-skis-size-chart-and-guide.aspx

>What boots should I get?
It is extremely important to get boots that fit you well and to have them heat moulded. Therefore, it is very important to go to a professional bootfitter (not just a ski shop, but specifically a bootfitter). For a list of reputable bootfitters, refer to epicski.com/wiki/boot-fitters-on-epicski
You can also consider getting custom footbeds for increased comfort and performance. If you are a beginner this is not that important (though getting boots from a bootfitter is), but if you are an advanced-expert skier it will make a big difference.

>Why is it so important to go to a bootfitter?/I went to a bootfitter and still have a problem, what's wrong?
epicski.com/a/boot-fitting-which-boot-will-work-for-me

>What bindings should I get?
The most important things to consider with bindings are DIN range and brake width. Your DIN should be around the middle of your binding's DIN range. For example, if you ski with a DIN of 7, a 4-12 binding would be good for you. A 1-7 or a 7-16 would be bad. If you don't know your DIN, look up a DIN chart.
The brake width should be approximately equal to the waist of the ski. It's better for the brake to be a little smaller than a little bigger (ski shop techs can bend the brakes when they mount the bindings), but if you go more than 7mm or so smaller the brakes might not fit well. Going up to about 10mm wider on the brakes is alright too as long as you don't carve really aggressively.

>Where should I ski?
Right now: onthesnow.com/skireport.html
In general: onthesnow.com/ski-resort.html

>I suck at skiing, how can I get better?
Stop being a faggot and huck something big. Or post video of you skiing ITT and we'll critique it.

>Is it true that only faggots snowboard?
Yes.
>>
>>921823
>outlaw alternative sports
Please have sex
>>
>>912021
I habe been in Ischgl and it was def better than my homemountain.
But it hasn't snowed dick in 7 days now so I wouldn't expect any pow.
>>
anybody planning to go this weekend?
>>
what are the best mid tier price ski goggles bros?
>>
>>927497
Yeah. Snowbird.
>>
Pros and cons of Intuition liners over stock, non-heat moldable liners? Is it just a slightly tighter fit or night & day? Also how much warmer is it?
>>
Went skiing for the first time last Sunday. How do I slow myself down so I don't kill other people besides pizza-ing, because that doesn't do shit when I'm flying down a turn. I was at Hidden Valley in PA, so anyone familiar with it knows there's a shit ton of younger kids there.
>>
>>931311
`COMPLETE YOUR TURN` i.e turn back up into the hill (just don't go backwards!)
>>
Just came back from a snowboarding trip and I realised I need to cop a better board. Im currently riding a 2011 Burton Custom but I love being a speed demon in the piste so I was thinking Burton Custom X.
Also, my current board is 160 cm but I'm 190 cm tall, so could I handle a longer board? And how important is the weight of the rider for snowboards? Can someone give me some wisdom?
>>
>>931977
>my current board is 160 cm but I'm 190 cm tall
I ride a 165 being 182, you should probably get a bigger board.

And if going fast is your thing look for stiff boards.

Völkl XT and Jones Flagship are breddy gud
>>
Just got boots fitted after 5 lessons.
Just need to go find a nice cheap place in europe, can anyone suggest?
>>
>>931311
Turn back and forth across the hill. Keep turning until you're facing straight across the hill, even slightly uphill.
>>931005
Heat moulded liners are far more comfortable and will significantly improve your skiing experience. Your feet will feel much better and you'll ski much better.
>>
>>931311
Do the same thing you do when you pizza only lean more uphill and move your uphill leg to be parallel to your dh leg
>>
>>933938
nice good luck bro.
>>
File: D100001001506989.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
D100001001506989.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
>As a teen

>Buy dank ass helmet with multiple colors, reminds me of Daft Punk

>Now

>I have to wear a gay helmet

I should have thought about it better, especially when there's an all black matte version
>>
File: jullunablkzeb.jpg (46KB, 964x310px) Image search: [Google]
jullunablkzeb.jpg
46KB, 964x310px
>>930359

I love Julbo Luna goggles.

No need for sunglasses when it's sunny, no for light goggles when it's dark. Flexible, comfortable, and light as a feather.
>>
>>935779
>hating colourful helmets
My current helmet is red. The one before that was pink. There's no way I'll ever get a matte black helmet.

Though if your pic is what you have I agree it's shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Anyone at Mammoth? It's dumping.
>>
File: Learning-Snowboarding-and-S.gif (43KB, 750x576px) Image search: [Google]
Learning-Snowboarding-and-S.gif
43KB, 750x576px
is pic related true?
>>
>>936022
Yeah

I did both and honestly, i super prefer snowskates and snowboarding to skiing

fuck skiing

Skiing is the kind of thing i'd do if i absolutely fucking hated my ankles and joint integrity with the kind of passion nazis use for autistic grammer correcting posers.

Snowboarding is respecting the mountain and taking her like the virgin bitch she is. skiing is like telling her to strip and apply vaginal lubercation for the missionary position in the intention of reproduction

Snowboarders are natural and cool, and more importantly have both hands free to smoke weed. Skiiers have both hands on poles, which helps them train for the massive cocksucking skiiers do on a regular basis.

I know a lot of gays so i know a skiiers delight is a gloryhole with 3 holesso a skiier can practice both hand techniquies and breathing techeacws at the tsame time
>>
>>935779
thats the way it goes, kinda how like someone mentioned.they treated their gear like shit because they were a teen and didnt think about the cost now that they but their own gear,they treat their gear as good as they can with proper maintenance, its how it goes.
>>
>>936085
Idk I think they're essentially the same, they each have like two huge negatives that the other doesn't.

Snowboarding:
>binding up at the top of the hill
>moguls kill you

Skiing:
>boots and ankle destruction in general
>falling and popping off a ski blows
>>
File: shotgun suicide.jpg (38KB, 476x640px) Image search: [Google]
shotgun suicide.jpg
38KB, 476x640px
>living on the east coast this year
We didn't even have a winter. It's like we just had a really long fall that transitioned into spring. It was 56 degrees today.
>>
>>938285
>skiing over two feet of powder last weekend on an empty mountain

Was pretty neat desu. But yeah, forecast is shit now.
>>
>>935783
awesome, will give them a look, thanks.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x1840px
>>938693
Pretty decent over here as well, and forecast is good for a couple of days ahead at least. It's times like these I love working rotation, four weeks off.
>>
>>936022
Yes

It's easier if you know one of them already though.
>>
Gym exercises to help with skiing?
>>
>>941384
cardio

core muscles and legs are good too I guess
>>
>>941384
Cardio, core, and legs
>>
>>933938
Have heard good things about gudara in georgia. Bulgaria and romania are also dirt cheap places to ski.
>>
>>936085

You know you can do it right and not fuck up your joints right?

Snowboarding is for fags and bitches.
>>
>>936085

I can tell you're a fag

Skiing is superior and patrician. You just fucked up your technique and destroyed your joints.

Skiing is faster, you can walk with ease, you can ski with your hands free, you always face forward instead of sideways, you dont have at least one of your feet dangerously tied to the board...

And the list goes on.

In fact, shitposting aside, snowboarding is both more dangerous and more harmful to the body.

It's funny because most snowboarders I know are either mannish chicks or closet fags disguised as jocks.
>>
>>944449
lel
>>
I switched from skiing to snowboarding because ski boots suck too much dick and skiing was getting kind of boring. It just felt like you're trying to get down the mountain instead of going for fun. I'm super glad I did, snowboarding is way more fun even though having to strap and unstrap is a little inconvenient. And the boots are way better.
>>
>>945993
>i didn't go to a bootfitter even though everyone told me to
>i never left the kiddie slope woth skis
>>
>>945993
What straps are you using? I switched to rear-entry straps this year and think they are fantastic, super fast and you don't need to sit down. With snowboard boots, you get what you pay for, everyone has different preferences with laces and stiffness. Some boots just fit the shape of your foot better. I'd assume ski boots are the same.

Just do whatever you enjoy most though, fuck what anyone else says.
>>
>>936411
This. I'm a snowboarder, but there's nothing I can say against anon, here!
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
Went for an evening ride with a headlight, in the middle of the fucking forest the light went out. Luckily I was stopped, and had my spare battery pack with me. I think the main battery is fucked, pretty much brand new (used only 4-5 times), and the last two times it went out after ~20 min. I guess that's what I get for buying shit.
>>
with a custom footbed and heat molded shell, there's no fucking way ski boots could be less comfortable than snowboard ones. and fuck laces desu
>>
>>946744
>tfw lace up liners
>>
>>946723
fuck man.
>>
Winter is back in the alps, 5
>going to Saas Fee for 5 days next week
>>
What should I do if I like skiing but hate the crowds, the fatass rich white people drinking endless bloody marys, and shitty rock music blasted at every lodge?
>>
>>950859
just go to bed early, then rise early and beat all the idiots to the mountain
>>
lel skiers

have fun with your boots that don't double as normal winter boots and also looking awkward when walking up or down stairs
>>
>>951124
This, the drunked rich idiots have gone to bed only hours before and will be curing their hangover for well into the afternoon. Take advantage of the early morning, there will be less people and the slopes will be in better shape.
>>
>>950859
Where the fuck are you skiing where there are crowds of fat people? I work at a resort and see maybe one fat person a day
>>
>>951389
>looking awkward when walking up or down stairs

I also hate using the toilet wearing ski clothes/shoes it's up there in my list of uncomfortable scenarios
>>
Plebs need a hill to catch speed. Nordic skiing will tone your body and your willpower. I'd love to see you downhill fags push a measly 20K using your flimsy arms and undeveloped legs.

While you're collapsed in a puddle of your misery after 0.5K i'll be smoking weed i'll the backwoods, because trails are for fags too.
>>
>>951389
Have fun with your sloppy, mushy boots
>>
>>951805
>droolfreeze
>>
>>951389

>What are cros-skiing boots

Dont you know there are skiing boots that have joints and can bend, that are as good if not better than winter boots? They lock on into various positions when skiing down slopes.

Snowboarders prove time and time again that they have no clue whatsoever about what they're talking about and are basically closet faggots that came late to the alpine game.
>>
>>952335
Yeah but do they look GNARLY?

Sorry but skiers will always be gay and unrad. Sorry though.
>>
>wake up excited, ready for the mountain
>chekc website just in case
>''all lifts closed due to strong winds''
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.